TOUCH OF HOPE (MxM) (Complet...

By raquel98rm

Haphephobia: the fear of being touched. Blake, a second-year Psychology student, hadn't ever heard of such a... More

Disclaimer
Upload Schedule
1. The lost boy (revised)
3. Right Wrong Answers (revised)
4. Two freaks (revised)
5. A new friend (part 1) (revised)
5. A new friend (part 2) (revised)
6. Let the games begin
7. The right direction
8. A normal afternoon
9. "Having lunch with your friends?"
10. Intern vs Supervisor
11. Episode
12. The courage to be weak
13. My brother's... friend
14. Afternoon Plans
15. Slowly opening up
16. Sleepy Brat
17. An exciting invite
18. Spending the night
19. Tingling
20. A Suiter for the Heir
21. Hands
22. Sweet Truces
23. Slowly but Surely
24. [CHAPTER REMOVED]
25. Lost and Found
26. Showtime
27. Aftermath
28. The strength's name
29. Not even that cute
30. Sleepless (part 1)
30. Sleepless (part 2)
31. Safe space
32. To each their own
33. Like in the movies
34. Gold star
35. Family Shackles
36. A rock and a hard place
37. Here for you
38. As the moon watches us
39. A little bit dramatic
40. No words
41. Reduce, Reuse, Relax
42. A son's lost. (part 1)
42. A son's lost. (part 2)
43. Guys and Dolls
44. Breaking the surface
45. The abnormality of normal
Christmas Special (chapter 30.5)
46. Pay off
47. A big deal
48. Aunty knows best
49. Little Steps
50. At last... (part 1)
50. At last... (part 2)
! Q&A + Announcement !
51. Something for you
52. The future in pages (part 1)
52. The future in pages (part 2)
53. A break
54. I'm so s'Oreo
55. Just better than you
56. Enough
57. To hear and be heard (part 1)
57. To hear and be heard (part 2)
58. When the Sun vanished
59. Epilogue
Touch Of Hope's SEQUEL
Once again, I need your opinion
Bonus Content (AI Characters)

2. Finding the boy (revised)

10K 516 135
By raquel98rm

This is the revised version of the original chapter 2.
Even if you have already read the original chapter, I would love to know your opinions on this version.

(for those who commented on the original: don't worry, I didn't delete the chapter, it's just not public anymore)

Please don't forget to vote and comment :)

- We have arrived, Madame, - Mr Abe said as the car pulled up to the sidewalk.

 - Thank you, Mr Abe, - she gave him a small smile through the rear-view mirror, opening the car door. - Feel free to have lunch. I'll call you when I'm done.

- As you wish, Madame.

The streets were quite busy that day, but Mr Abe ended up finding a good parking spot right by a small restaurant. As soon as he stepped out of the car, a delicious scent emerging from said restaurant filled his senses. He was sold.

Entering the establishment, he looked around. The space was simple and understated, yet most of the tables were occupied. Small families, groups of old friends and one or other solo visitor filled the place, talking between them, from table to table and even calling the few employes that roamed around by their names. All in all, it had the charm that only a local restaurant could have.

He made his way to the counter where a short woman with dark hair tied in a low bun was just finishing with a customer.

- Have a nice day, - she said to the person in front of him before shifting her attention to him, smiling. - Hi, how can I help you?

- Hello. Table for one, please.

She nodded and her gaze roamed the room for a short moment, - There's a free one over there, - she signalled at a table near the corner. - Someone will be with you in a minute.

Half an hour later, Mr Abe had just finished a delicious slice of chocolate cake he had no business eating but that had been too tempting to deny. To his right, in a hidden corner of the restaurant, a door opened and out came two young boys, each with a travel bag in hand.

One of them stayed behind, checking for something in his bag, as the other intersected the woman that had served Mr Abe when he had first arrived, now carrying two trays with impressive ease.

- Do you need help, mom? - the young man asked.

- Don't worry, it's all taken care of, - she motioned to the bags with her chin. - Are you sure you aren't forgetting anything?

- I probably am.

The answer made Mr Abe smile, but he tuned out the rest of the conversation to check his cellphone. Madame still hadn't called, but he might as well leave and wait by close by.

A loud cry erupted throughout the restaurant, everyone momentarily stopping what they were doing to look. At a nearby table, a little girl screamed at the top of her lungs. She held out her small hand to her father who cradled it, blowing on it while muttering something to try to calm her down.

The young man that had been talking to the woman, crossed the space towards the little girl, squatting by her seat so they would be at the same height. The appearance of an unfamiliar face had her swallow a hiccup, looking at him with big dow-eyes full of tears.

- Did you burn yourself on the plate? - he asked.

With a pout, she nodded. The young man said something to the father and then grabbed a sealed bottle of beer from the table. His attempt to press the cold bottle to her hand area was met with a whine as she pulled away.

- If you press this against it, it won't hurt so bad, - he assured but she didn't seem to buy it. - You don't want to?

She shook her head.

- That's a bummer, - he set the cup back on the table. - I'm Blake. What's your name?

- Ana, - she muttered, the cry slowly fading away.

- Ana? I like that name, - crossing his legs, he sat on the floor right in front of her. It looked a bit dirty, but he didn't seem worried about it.

- And what's the name of your doll?

Mr Abe's gaze followed the girls to the doll set on her lap.

- Tina.

- And do you two play a lot together?

With another look at the doll, the girl agreed.

- Well, - the young man continued. - If you don't take care of the burn you won't be able to play with her. She'll be sad, won't she?

Ana's lips turned into a small pout, - Yes...

The boy grabbed the cup once again, - If you press this against your burn you'll feel better and you two can play, - although Mr Abe couldn't see the boy's face, he could hear the smile in his voice. - Don't you think?

Ana gave the cup a suspicious look but, upon some reflection, ended up taking the cup in her hand.

The boy stood up, patting her hair, - Such a brave girl.

Mr Abe smiled at the resolution, watching the proud smile on the little girls face. As her parents congratulated her on her courage, Mr Abe decided it would be best to go on his way. He stood up, looking down at his pocket to grab his wallet. As he rounded the table, he bumped into someone.

- I'm so sorry, - he rushed to say.

His eyes met the other person and he realized who he had bumped. The young man with dark hair smiled, - No problem.

Now that Mr Abe could clearly see his face, it felt as though something was out of place. The black hair, dark eyes, olive-toned skin... Mr Abe could swear he knew him from somewhere.

- Blake, -  the other young man that had appeared from the side door called. - We'll miss the bus.

- I'm coming, - he said and with one last smile at Mr Abe, stepped away. The two boys grabbed their things and, after hugging the small woman, ran out of the door.

Mr Abe stayed in the same spot, staring at the door, trying to make sense of that bugging feeling. Blake... the name also sounded familiar.

Then, he remembered. A hushed gasp escaped him.

It was him. The boy who had helped the Young Master, it was him. He was taller, generally grown up and the soaked high-school uniform had been swapped by jean shorts and a dark blue t-shirt, but Mr Abe was certain it was him.

Even three years later, the gratitude Mr Abe felt hadn't faded. Who knew what might have happened that night if he hadn't helped the Young Master.

Mr Abe pulled himself back to the present. He couldn't stay there gaping at the door forever. So, he made his way to the register where the woman that had received him – the boy's mother – was.

- The bill, please.

The black-haired woman smiled, taking care of his request, - Did you enjoy your meal?

- Everything was delicious, thank you, - he said.

He glimpsed at the door and back to the woman, itching with curiosity. He cleaned his throat.

- That young man was really good with that little girl, - he commented, trying to pull the topic.

It appeared to work. The smile on her lips filled with pride as she gave him the change, - My Blake's a lovely boy. Both of my boys are.

- I'm sure they were brought up to be so. Are they going on a trip?

She shook her head, - The new school year is about to start, they're going to University.

- It must be hard to have them away, - he said. - My Young Master's going to college for the first time this year too. Luckily, he'll be able to keep living at home.

- Oh really? To which university?

- Misthill Central University.

Her eyebrows shot up, - What a coincidence, my boys are studying there as well, - she said. - My oldest, Finn, is in his third year of Engineering and Blake in the second year of Psychology.

- Psychology? - his voice cracked in surprise. He cleaned his throat, trying to control his reaction, - I happen to know a psychology professor that works there.

- Amazing, - she placed a hand on her chest. - What a small world.

Mr Abe nodded as he glanced at the door.

Indeed. What a small world.

Miss Pam sat on the armchair in Dean's room, at a fair distance from him. The slow and rhythmic tapping of the back of the pen on her notebook broke the silence as Dean looked down at his hands, watching his fidgeting fingers.

The pen stopped and Miss Pam finally spoke, - Your mother told me you had a new episode last night.

Dean nodded. She waited a few seconds until it became clear he wouldn't elaborate on it.

- Are you ok?

His hands stopped.

- Yes, - he said. - This isn't new to me.

- It's not something one gets used to, Dean.

- It could have been worst. I only got to the gardens.

- Dean, look at me.

He obliged. Her eyes blue eyes were firm yet there was a softness to them, just like every other time she wanted to make him talk.

- You have to be honest with me, Dean, - she said, - I'm not asking about that, and you know it.

Dean's jaw tensed up. One sentence alone and the burning of tears threatened to creep on him. She was right, he knew what she meant.

He evaded her gaze and took a deep breath.

- I'm scared, - he muttered.

- And that's completely normal.

 - Today was supposed to be my first day at a real university, -  his voice was layered thick and the pressure in his throat grew by the word, - but here I am.

- I thought you said you didn't want to go.

His hand clenched into a fist, digging the nails into his skin, but he tried to keep his voice calm. - I didn't, - he said. - Because I know this thing won't let me be normal. But now... - With some effort, he stopped the nails from digging more into the skin, leaving behind faint red marks. He let out a sigh, - Now I'm an aberration, still trapped.

That wasn't all there's was to it. There was also his grandfather. What would he think if he learned his grandson had missed his first day because he couldn't handle the pressure?

- You're not an aberration, Dean, - she insisted, leaning forward and laying her arms on the notebook resting on her lap.

Even with the distance between them, his back pressed against the back of the chair. He fought the urge to roll his eyes. His rage was directed at himself, no one else should have to pay for it. Still, he couldn't have that conversation again. Not that day.

- I'm sorry, Miss, - he said in a low voice, - but I'm afraid today this won't be of any help.

Her gaze ran his face for a moment. She let out a quiet sigh but her lips turned into a small smile.

- If you say so, - she closed the notebook, placing the pen through the hoops. - I just need to discuss something with you before I leave.

Dean's eyes met her's, equal parts curious and apprehensive.

- What do you think about having someone at the university with you?

- Mr Abe's already driving me to and from the university.

- I'm not talking about Mr Abe.

- I... Excuse me?

- Someone your age, - she smiled. - Someone aware of your limits who will accompany you on campus.

Dean's heart skipped a beat.

- You already have someone in mind don't you, Miss?

- One of my second-year students, - she said. - I have yet to discuss this with him, but your mother and I agree with this idea. But it's up to you, of course.

Dean was dumbfounded.

- A student? Why?

- Because it's someone your age, who knows the campus and how it works, - she started putting her things back in her black purse. - Besides, Mr Abe has other responsibilities, what if he can't pick you up right away? You should have someone who can keep you company.

The idea alone had his chest feeling like it was going to burst. The mere thought of someone he didn't know being right by his side, was terrifying. When he had learned of his grandfather's decision to have Dean switch from an online university to an in-person one, the obvious fears came to mind. He had planned on keeping to himself, away from everyone. Now... well, now he had to deal with someone.

What if he had one episode? What if something happened? What if---

- What are you afraid of Dean? - she asked, searching for his eyes. - You have to talk to me. You shouldn't keep everything inside.

He looked back at his hands. There was a thin cut on one of them that hadn't been there before his sleepwalking episode.

- I just... - he tried to swallow the lump in his throat. - I don't want to startle anyone.

- Are you afraid he won't like you?

Hearing it aloud made Dean realize how pathetic he sounded. But it was true. For so many years he had imagined having friends again, building it up in his head.

He raised his head, but his eyes still didn't meet hers, - I think it's enough for today, - he said. - I'm sorry for wasting your time.

- It's not a waste, - she said as she grabbed her thing and got up. - I'll talk to my student to come here and meet you. Then you can choose either to accept him or not. Deal?

Dean gave the best cordial smile he could, while his insides turned.

- Deal.

Please don't forget to vote!
Thank you for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

662K 46K 71
A homeless thief breaks into a house that has nothing worth stealing - except for the heart of a lonely man who is obsessed with time. ...
After Dark By Z

Teen Fiction

16.7K 583 42
《 This is a BoyxBoy story 》 William Caddel wants to live. Between crushing expectations and the strictness that comes with them that seems like such...
616K 24.5K 49
TW: Social Anxiety, Sexual Assault, Domestic Abuse. After escaping from his abusive father, Mitchell Anderson has to keep a low profile in a new town...
105K 6.4K 22
Jasper McKormic understands that Prints are meant to help guide everyone to their perfect match. The black lines that appear on everyone's skin tel...