The Raven's Mortal Bride

By Drunken-Shifu

An Asian Fantasy ~~~ Sae Yeon is a regular young Lady who wants nothing more than to marry the man she loves... More

1. The Red Moon and the Raven
2. The Flute And The King
3. The Bracelet And The Festival
4. The Dowager And The Dream
5. To InGuk
6. The Crow And The Raven 1
7. The Crow And The Raven 2
8. The Queen Selection
9. The Welcome Dinner 1
10. The Welcome Dinner 2
11. Another Link
12. Sky Palace 1
13. Sky Palace 2
14. Sky Palace 3
15. The Wedding Guests 1
16. The Wedding Guests 2
17. Husband And Wife
18. Husband And Wife 2
19. The Sparring Competition 1
20. The Sparring Competition 2
22. The Icy Caves

21. Sleepwalker

13 2 1
By Drunken-Shifu

.

It was late night, and the silence that came with sleep had settled over the Sky Palace and its environments.

But Choi Yoon lay awake.

He had stared at his ceiling for a while, trying to understand why sleep failed him.

'Kim Sae Yeon...'

A small voice whispered in his head, but he pushed the thought away. 'Surely not!'

'Oh?' The voice was persistent. 'Then why did you really show off so much today?'

Pause.

'And why were you especially angry when Seo Kang indicated his interest?'

'That was obviously because -!'

But he himself didn't know the answer to that question...

Perhaps he was petty and wanted to show everyone who the best really was!

Perhaps he was too petty to let anyone else take something that belonged to him!

Choi Yoon rose from the bed and glanced around his chamber, wondering how he should pass the time.

He would have turned to wine and a good book, but all he had here was human wine, which wouldn't affect him in the slightest.

He picked his flute and returned to the balcony, then sat in his usual dangerous position on the railing.

He brought the Flute to his lips, then began to play softly, and the sweet melody of the Flute floated into the night, gently parting the silence.

A Night jar, then two, then three sang along with the peaceful melody...

.

Sae Yeon was dreaming...

Or she wasn't...

Or she was...

It was a bit confusing.

A Flute was playing beautifully from somewhere. Her mind seemed to have latched unto the Flute, because her feet carried her there.

It was nothing really, just a certain feeling.... It was like she had no worries, but absolutely needed to find who was playing the Flute.

Slide.

She slid the chamber doors open and stepped in...

Choi Yoon's fingers halted above the Flute holes, as he turned to see who had dared to open his doors.

He was surprised to see Kim Sae Yeon facing him.

"Ya-!" He began, then caught himself.

A wave of unpleasant nostalgia hit him, as he remembered the few times she had appeared in his chamber, just like this!

"What are you doing here?" He asked, floating down from the balcony's railing, his open robes billowing behind him.

No response.

He stared at her furiously for a few seconds, then sighed, turning back to face the night sky.

"Did you come to annoy me? If so, just return to your chamber. Or did you forget our deal? Don't forget the balcony doors are wide open. Should I just toss you over?"

But even as he spoke, he was reminded that Kim Sae Yeon would actually never enter his chamber without a good reason.

The way things were, she wouldn't enter, period.

He swivelled round to look at her again, and he noticed that she stared straight ahead, a serene expression on her face.

Her eyes were not even looking at him, but seemed to be looking through him...

She was sleepwalking!

"Ha! And she blamed me the last time!" He moved to her front, then waved his hand in front of her face.

"Ya, Kim Sae Yeon! Kim Sae Yeon!" Still no response. "Hmmmm."

He began to walk around her, considering what to do.

He discarded the idea of taking her back to her chamber... It was a hassle, especially if she might just come back!

"Hmph! So much for staying away!" He went over to one of the cupboards, brought out an extra blanket, and then spread it down on the same place she laid the last time.

He put an arm around her shoulder, and his other arm behind her knees, then lifted her off the floor. She collapsed against him at once, and her eyes fluttered shut in true sleep.

Choi Yoon sucked in a breath as he admired the way her lashes fanned prettily and delicately over her pale cheeks. Then he caught himself and carried her to the blanket, laying her down on it.

He stood up and shook his head, staring down at her. "So much trouble... Seriously, so much trouble! Tsk tsk tsk!"

He went back to the bed and lay down.

Perhaps it was because of all the 'unnecessary work' Kim Sae Yeon had just made him do, but this time he fell asleep almost at once.

.
.

At dawn, Sae Yeon's eyes flew open, and she sat bolt upright, looking around her.

"Oh no!" She whispered.

Though the lanterns burned low, she immediately knew where she was.

She vaguely remembered coming here on her own. 'I do sleepwalk!' She concluded in dismay.

Heat flooded her face as she remembered the wedding night...

She had denied it so gracefully that time, and had even accused Choi Yoon!!

'Noooooo!' She wailed internally.

She got up quietly, making sure she didn't make any noise, then gingerly left the chamber and returned to hers.

.
.

The sun rose a little after that, blessing the beautiful gardens with glistening light and vibrant pinks everywhere.

It was the Pink Garden.

Beautiful birds sang, and a gentle breeze ruffled the trees and shrubs. The magical tinkling of water filled the air, as the small waterfall splashed into the lake, making the floating pink lotuses appear to dance.

Sae Yeon took a deep cleansing breath...

"Hmmmmmm! It's so good to be outside!" She spun around, arms outstretched.

"You were out most of yesterday! We attended the Sparring Competition!" Do Young yawned tiredly.

Sae Yeon had woken she and Yong Yi up before daybreak, for an early bath and dressing up.

Then she had dragged Do Young out with her.

Sae Yeon grinned at Do Young apologetically. "Sorry." She said. "Why don't you lean on this tree and sleep for a while?"

But the words had barely left her mouth, when she heard voices.

"Lord Yoon, will you be visiting the rest of the floating islands today?" A servant was asking.

"No. I'll go tomorrow." Choi Yoon's voice floated to her.

'He's coming this way!'

Sae Yeon grabbed Do Young's hand and hurried off toward the nearest garden.

"My Lady! Are you alright?" Do Young asked with a worried expression. The two had stopped to catch their breaths. They were in the Many Season garden, which was closest to the Pink Garden.

"I'm fine." Sae Yeon waved her away. "I just needed to get away from that person." She began to stroll through the garden.

"Are you still afraid of Lord Yoon? Is that why you came out so early? I don't think he will do anything to you..." Do Young caught up with her.

"I don't like the fact that you wound up here, instead of the Palace. I mean, these people are incredibly stunning, but a little scary...

"However, if Queen dowager and that other person were putting you in danger, then maybe it's for the best."

Sae Yeon had of course, explained the entire situation to Do Young when she had first arrived.

"Ye. I'm sure you're right." Sae Yeon agreed, then swung around suddenly. "But that doesn't mean I have to see him!"

"Ah, I see..." Do Young put a finger to her chin.

'Does this have something to do with where she returned from early this morning?'

"Ei? Your 'Ah, I see,' sounded very suspicious!" Sae Yeon accused.

"Ah, it's nothing my Lady." Do Young replied.

"That's even more suspicious!" Sae Yeon responded.

And they spent the rest of the day in the gardens.

.

Two weeks went by like that...

Sae Yeon had looked forward to a peaceful stay in the Sky Palace, where she and Choi Yoon could live apart from each other...

But no such luck!

Almost every night, she sleepwalked to Choi Yoon's chamber, and then spent the following day avoiding him!

What was worse, she was beginning to remember every snide comment he made as he carried her over to the floor blanket...

1st night : "Tsk tsk tsk. A hassle. A real hassle."

2nd night: "Aish! Is she doing this on purpose?"

3rd night: "Cham! Sleeping so peacefully when being carried by someone else."

4th night: "Aigoo, we might as well exchange Chambers at this rate."

5th night: "Tsk tsk tsk! Breaks her promise at night, but keeps it during the day!"

6th night : "Cham! She's even growing fatter?!"

At present, that last comment had Sae Yeon throwing down her chopsticks and refusing to eat another bite.

"Aish! That petty raven!" She complained. "Does he think I want to go there?!

Do Young and Yong Yi looked at each other, then back at Sae Yeon.

In the last two weeks, they had tried to keep her awake, make her sleep too deeply, locked the doors, and even tied up her ankle.

But when they tried to keep her awake, they themselves fell asleep!

When they put her into a deep sleep, she still went there anyway!

Even in sleep, she somehow found a way to open the doors, so locking them didn't help!

And as for tieing her ankle, they woke up to find the rope expertly untied time!

"At this rate, even bandits cannot capture her!" Do Young complained.

What was astounding  was that Sae Yeon never went anywhere else... Just Lord Yoon's chamber!

Yong Yi, "My Lady, perhaps you should just sleep there from now o-."

"Shush!" Sae Yeon's cheeks burned as the unbidden image of Choi Yoon carrying her, filled her mind.

And now, even the hazy kiss to the back of her neck from the wedding night, was getting clearer and clearer!

.
.

Meanwhile Choi Yoon spun his Flute in one hand, as he chuckled softly to himself.

"Hmm. She must be feeling rather frustrated by now."

Choi Yoon had discovered that playing his Flute was what made Kim Sae Yeon sleepwalk...

The two nights following the night she first entered his chamber, Kim Sae Yeon had not sleepwalked to his chamber. On the third night he had begun playing the Flute, and just like that, she had appeared again!

He didn't play the Flute the following night, she didn't sleepwalk. He played it the night after that and she did!

And after that, Choi Yoon had begun to have a little too much fun with his Flute, making Sae Yeon sleepwalk, and then watching her try her best to avoid him the following day!

He also knew that since she remembered the sleepwalking, she might also remember what he said, so he made sure he complained each time, to 'add salt to the injury'!

He chuckled again, then placed the Flute to his lips, beginning the soft melody that 'summoned' Kim Sae Yeon.

.

.

The next morning, two surprise guests visited the Sky Palace.

"Kang." Choi Yoon greeted Seo Kang. "What brings you for such an unexpected visit?"

"Not just me... The others are coming as well! We all want to find out what married life is like!" He teased. "I only came first to disturb your peace sooner!"

The second guest was So Yang, and she scowled in annoyance, as she landed on the grassy floor.

Twice now, since the wedding, So Yang had flown to Choi Yoon's Chamber, but each time, he had softly turned her away!

And besides, she couldn't forget the Sparring games...

Choi Yoon never used to participate in any one but the duelling, but somehow, this time he had, and he had gone out of his way to be so impressive!

'All because of that sly woman!' So Yang thought. 'Kim Sae Yeon is the reason for Choi Yoon's sudden distance!'

When So Yang arrived, she didn't even bother to find Choi Yoon, because she had another target.

"Sae Yeon-ah!" So Yang greeted. She had found Sae Yeon in the 'Many Season garden'.

"So Yang Eonni!" Sae Yeon was pleasantly happy to see her, and she ran over to her. "You've come?"

Do Young felt sceptical. Yong Yi was displeased.

But Sae Yeon didn't notice.

"Ye." So Yang answered her. "I came back with Seo Kang, and the others are coming this evening. I should have come for a visit sooner... I know you must be feeling out of place."

"A little." Sae Yeon responded. "I would offer to show you around but you've been here far longer than I have!"

"Ehehehe. I understand. Why don't I show you something instead? There's a hidden place in the Winter garden that's spectacular... Would you like to see it?"

"Sure!" Sae Yeon replied with enthusiasm.

After days and days of avoiding Choi Yoon, she was looking forward to something exciting!

.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

252 37 13
*UPDATES EVERY TUESDAY AND FRIDAY* Synopsis: Sade, a 21-year-old black woman who helps run a potions shop in a small town with her mom, continuously...
9.5K 441 79
A story about a white fox who is Y/n. Her marriage has been decided by her parents. Just because she don't want to get married with the guy that she...
1.9K 258 31
Bonnie Lawrence had always believed that she was destined for one thing: to be forgotten. When a demon attempts to murder her for this very reason-s...
7.7K 303 32
Kara Tilling is your typical teenager-well, more or less. Spending time with her fashionable best friend and her nerdy boyfriend are major parts of h...