TouchDown- book one The Bradf...

بواسطة lyonmom

Every girl needs their world to be rocked at least once. While Aiden Bradford believes he has everything he's... المزيد

Prologue
Character Information
Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Epilogue
Book two of The Bradford Series
The family tree

Chapter 19

7.4K 216 38
بواسطة lyonmom

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 19

Riley

Getting settled into work was fairly simple. The menu is similar to the one at my dad's diner. Granted the recipes are definitely different. I've tasted the food here and they don't come close to my dad's. I am biased there, no one can come close to my dad's cooking.

Except for Georgia, she's excellent

Hearing the bell, hooked on the front door ding, I turn around and see a group of four girls walk in. Recognizing the redhead that smashed my fingers that first day I met Aiden with a few of her cheerleader friends, a soft groan escaped my lips. Then I silently pray they don't sit in my section.

I'm good about ignoring bad behavior from customers. I know I'm usually not likely to see them again once they leave the restaurant. Working so close to campus, I unfortunately know most of the people who come in here are students. It's not as easy here to ignore them when I've seen several already who are in some of my classes.

"My lucky day." I sarcastically mutter, seeing the four sit down at one of my open booths.

When the redhead lifted her hand and began snapping her fingers for attention, I paused and just gawked at her. I was actually stunned by her audacity. I've seen a lot of crummy behavior before in dad's diner but this takes the cake.

"Waitress!!" Snap! Snap!! "Waitress!! Can we get some service here!?" She flips her red curls over her shoulder and rolls her eyes. "We should have picked someplace with better service. I know this was close by but I'd have driven to get something that resembles a quality restaurant. I bet the food is filled with grease too."

I stiffen my spine before Mae,the older waitress, walks by me towards the kitchen and mutters, "Better you than me, honey. I'm liable to spit in her drink and put hot peppers on her burger. Spoiled bitch."

Releasing a short snort of laughter, I walk through the tables to the far booth. "Can I get you ladies started with drinks?"

"It's about time you noticed us. I'm parched!" The redhead dramatically fanned her face. "I swear it's so hard to find decent staff nowadays. I want water, bottled not tap. Minimum ice, but I don't want hot water. And a slice of organic lemon on the side. Do you got that?"

I nodded and looked at the other girls. "And for you?"

"They'll have the same thing. Wait! I know you!" The redhead sneered, narrowing her eyes on mine.

"I'm sorry, I don't think so. I'll get your drinks." Turning to walk away I don't look down and take the first rushed step away I trip, and fall into the table across from the girls. Looking back, I see the redhead slide her leg under the table.

She did that on purpose!

"I do know you! You're that little mouse who thinks she can get Aiden. I know you, I saw you with his family at the game over the holiday. I have to ask, how did you get Bradford to feel sorry enough for you to give you the impression he was actually interested in you? It's not like a guy like Aiden doesn't have the ability to get any girl he wants."

"He doesn't feel sorry for me. I'll get your drinks." Moving quickly behind the counter, I start working on the waters.

"Don't you let those girls get to you, honey. They're just jealous of you." I look over at the older woman and begin to disagree with her. "Oh yes, they do. Take it from someone who's been around this campus for three decades. Those little girls are jealous of you."

"I'm not anything to be jealous of." Setting the four waters and bowls of sliced lemon on a tray, I balance it on my hand and deliver it to the table. As I set the glasses on the table I ask if they're ready to order.

"Of course we are. If you hadn't taken so long gossiping with that hag, instead of getting our drinks, you'd have noticed that." The three girls looked down at the table and refused to make eye contact or say anything to defy her. "Each of us wants the grilled chicken salad. The salad has to be organic and the chicken hormone free, organic. I don't want onions, tomatoes or cucumbers but spinach and dried cranberries. The cheese has to be fat free as does the dressing. I don't like ranch but want apple cider vinegar and oil. No bread or croutons, definitely no crackers."

"I'll put this right in." Turning, I look down before I step, not wanting to trip again. I hurry to the back counter and hand the order to the cook.

"You're better than I am. Her water would have ended up over her head if she'd said that crap to me. Don't you have a temper, honey? You can't let people like that push you around." She expedites an order then delivers it to the old guy at the counter.

"I do but I need this job. I don't want to do anything to screw it up." Just then the girls let out a burst of laughter.

I can only try to ignore them as I wait on my other tables. Clearing dirty plates, setting up the table for the next customer and hearing them talk the whole time.

"I can't believe Aiden posted that picture of us. I really thought he wanted to keep our relationship quiet until he could break the news to his girlfriend. Ex now. He was really explicit about needing to break it off with her first. I guess he just couldn't wait to make it known to everyone we're together." The redhead giggles.

Rolling my eyes, I hear the bell ding again and see Hunter and Colby come in. They sit down at the counter and chat quietly with Mae. Even Stan, the owner and our cook, comes out to see them. Walking over I wave to them and get tea for them.

"Hey roomie! We thought we'd come by and see if you were up for a movie tonight? The guy's are planning to go and asked if we're interested."

"I'm working until closing. I can't but thanks for asking." I give them a regretful smile and the girls in the booth burst into a laughing fit again.

"I can't wait to see Aiden later tonight. He's taking me to a movie and then back to his place. I won't be back to the dorm until morning, I'm sure. He's such an animal during sex." The redhead gloated as the three ding dongs with her nodded in agreement.

"Like they know anything about Aiden. If he ever slept with her he was double bagged and another over her head so he didn't have to look at her skanky ass." Hunter said loud enough for the girls to stop and listen to her.

"I'll have you know Aiden is seeing me." Red faced and furious she exclaimed, a look of total annoyance on her face. Obviously she's not used to her stories being questioned.

"No, he's not. Want to know how I know that?" Hunter got to her feet.

"Hunter, please don't..." I whisper. She turned her head, questioning me with a look, while Colby took my hand and squeezed in support.

"Aiden is my cousin. Just like several of the other guys on the team. He talks to us, we're family. I know his type, I know who he's fucked and who he's regretted getting with. I know you have tried to get your claws in him and I know you've failed. And I know exactly who he's dating. I'll tell you right now, she's ten times the woman you'll ever be. So stop talking about him like you actually know him!" She moves closer standing right in front of the booth.

"He posted a picture of us online. Everyone has seen it. He's making a point of claiming me, you stupid bitch! And you may be related but I don't think even he would claim you as family. You definitely didn't get the Bradford genes, you must be on the poor side of the family, the Drake side. Aren't they inbred?" Her smug look set Hunter off.

Moving faster than any of us could anticipate, Hunter dumped a pitcher of ice water over the girl's head then quickly grabbed a coconut cream pie from the display on the counter and smashed it in her face.

The high pitched screams almost broke every glass in the place. Colby covered her ears and shook with laughter as the redhead swiped at her eyes and screamed again. Jumping out of the booth, all four drenched in water, shook out their clothes. The redhead's hair is plastered to her head, black mascara running down her cheeks, lines where water has washed away her foundation and her skin is exposed, cover her face.

"You girls should go before Hunter decides to drop you in a vat of hot grease." Colby shoos them out the door still laughing then high fives Hunter when she comes over.

"What the .... who did this?" Stan rushed in and saw the mess all over the floor and the booth. There was even a trail of cream leading out the front door.

"It was my fault. Those girls were giving me a hard time and I lost it." I spoke up trying to keep Hunter from getting in trouble. "I'll clean it up and I'll pay for the pie and the girls tab. I'm really sorry."

"Yes, you will. I'm very disappointed, Riley. I thought you could handle this job the way your co-worker described you. Maybe this isn't the best fit for you." He looked at the mess shaking his head.

"Stan, wait! It's not Riley's fault." Hunter reached for the old man's arm to stop him. "I did this."

"Now Hunter, I appreciate you wanting to help the girl but people have to learn their own lessons." He pats her hand and walks towards the kitchen. "I'll have your last check ready for you tomorrow, Riley."

I slouch knowing that I've been fired for the first time in my life because I wanted to keep Hunter out of trouble. I thought he would be easier on me than a customer but I was wrong. Maybe I can't read people as well as I thought I could. It looks like I'll be searching for a new job in the morning and I have to figure out how to pay for my car repairs.

Great, just great!

Getting a dish tub, I cleared the table and took the dirties to the back. A moment later, I came back with a mop and bucket to clean the floor to find Hunter and Colby wiping down the booth for me.

"You shouldn't be doing that. It's my responsibility to clean up the mess." I kept my voice soft so Stan couldn't hear me.

"It was my fault, Riley. The least I can do is clean it up. I'll get Stan to listen and get your job back." Hunter apologized again knowing that I need this job for expenses.

"Haven't you gotten money yet for living expenses? You should have gotten that with your grant?" Colby asked.

Shaking my head, I don't think that was offered to me. "It wasn't offered. I only qualified for class expenses and housing."

"Well, we can take care of that. I can't believe grandma would be happy learning about this." Hunter grumbled.

"I can cover my bills as long as I have a job. You two should go meet the guys for the movie. You don't want to be late." I think I'm going to have my hands full with studying and job hunting tonight.

"Hey, on the bright side, now you can come with us." Colby beamed her smile at me and I felt my heart sink. It was a nice thought.

"I better not. I don't know how long it'll be to find another job and I still have car expenses to make. Have fun though. I'll see you later." Slopping the mop on the floor, I clean up the rest of the mess.

It was another hour before I could leave and by the time I got to the dorm, I figured everyone would be gone for the movie. Better all around I don't see anyone now. My mood has definitely sunk from this morning when I woke up with Aiden. I guess I can't expect everything to be that nice all the time.

I shouldn't be mad, it was good to see that redhead get what she deserves. No one should be treated like I was. I wish I had the guts to stand up for myself like Hunter did. She didn't care what that girl had to say, or how she would respond. Hunter has the spine I wish I had.

Aiden

I've been at it for hours it seems. I know grades are important. Not because I need to keep a scholarship like Riley does but to prove that I'm more than just a jock. I have to have a brain to fall back on. I know that injuries happen in football and if I don't prepare for that, if I don't have something to fall back on in retirement or due to injury, I won't have a career after football.

Not that I couldn't find a place in the family business. I could and will go there at some point. But before that I want to make my mark like Uncle Blake did with the Play 60 program. I want to give back in my own way.

Blake was inspired by Aunt Chelsea. She grew up broke and couldn't afford to follow her dream in dance. Blake brought a program to kids who couldn't afford to play football in the programs that cost an arm and a leg like the ones we were in. He made it possible for kids to make their dreams come true.

I want that too

I haven't figured out how to do it or what I want to do exactly. I think the idea is coming though because of Riley. The diner she worked in growing up and now on campus to make ends meet through school is where I'd start. I want to give kids an opportunity too. I think a diner offering culinary experience is my way.

I need to talk to grandma about it but I'm betting she'll get on board to back it financially. It helps that she likes Riley and her dad. I think that's going to help me get this off the ground. Putting a man who knows his way in a kitchen in charge of it. A woman who can run things. It's a perfect way to keep Riley close and a career I think she's going to love.

My final economic project is outlining just that. Financial projections, staff, supplies, the how, where and why of the program I want to make a reality. Just like Uncle Blake did but in my own way. To help high school and first year college students get experience, training and money to get through school on their own terms without leaning on parents or needing financial assistance to pay for everything they need to graduate college.

"Hey!" Harper knocks on the door jam waking me from my thoughts. "You planning on joining us for the movie or are you just going to keep daydreaming about Riley?"

"I wasn't..." Well not completely anyway, "I was thinking about my project for Econ. I've got a lot to do on it yet."

"Oh, well sucks to be you. I guess I'll just make time with Riley for you." Harper grins, razzing me. He's such a dick. He doesn't have a chance with her. "I guess you didn't get the text. Riley got fired from the diner today. Hunter was there when it happened. She convinced Riley to join us."

She got fired? Why?

"No, I've been busy here." Picking up my phone I see several messages from the girls.

Shit! I should have been paying better attention. I got so sucked into my work on this project, I didn't hear my phone go off or notice that I had messages. I don't do this often but because this project is something I actually want to happen, I've been extremely focused on each and every detail.

"We leave in five." Harper looks at his watch. "You want to join us, be ready to go."

"Yeah, yes ma'am." Sawyer walks in and passes me his phone. "Grandma wants to talk to you. She tried your phone but you didn't answer."

Shit! That's not good.

Taking the phone, my cousins make themselves comfortable in my room to wait for me. I rotate back to my desk and with my back to the guys take the call.

"Hi Grandma, sorry I was working on a class project. Are you okay?" I ask knowing this question just got the guy's attention. They deserve to know what is going on with her too.

"Oh, I'm just fine, honey. Don't you worry about me now. I wanted to make sure Riley got her check. Has she said anything about it yet?" Georgia is very conscientious about the scholarships program she started years ago. With our name on it, she makes sure each student has what they need. It's not just Riley but every scholarship that is given.

"She hasn't mentioned it but I'll check with her." I have to be careful how I do that since I know she won't take it if she thinks it's because I asked for it.

"Good. You let me know when she gets it. I assume you've asked her to join us for the gala?" Grandma knows I don't like these things.

I'm not the red carpet kind but this gala helps the low income families in the area. It covers food and clothing, school supplies and programs for children in need of extras. It's important to give back to those in need. Something Uncle Blake began when he started in the NFL and the family has continued.

"No, not yet. I promise I've just been really busy with school. I'm seeing her tonight, so I'll ask tonight." I know that will be good enough for now but she's going to call tomorrow to find out.

"In that case, I'll give Ben a call and invite him and Fran to join us as well. I can send the plane to get them. We'll make it a surprise for Riley. I'm sure she'll love to see her dad." I can hear her scribbling it down as she talks. "You make sure you cover the cost of her gown and anything she needs."

"Grandma, she won't let me do that. Riley is really adamant about paying her own way." It's an annoying habit but I understand it.

"Then you tell Hunter to take her when they go to get their dresses. I'll just have her cover it my way. I know it bothers you, honey. But she's doing it the right way. She wants to be with you because of you, not your money or the family name. That's the kind of woman you want." I know she'll get her way. Grandma always does. She just doesn't take no for an answer.

"Yes ma'am." I don't argue with her. I know better.

"Now, as I've told Harper, you boys are to take Landon, Roan and Wyatt to get fitted for tuxedos. I expect all of you to look dapper and handsome for this event. I also expect those boys to have dates. You make sure of that, Aiden. You're the oldest of those boys, you need to run herd on them." She insists, knowing that we tend to all come stag.

"Yes ma'am. I've gotta go, Grandma. I don't want to be late for my date." I know she'll get off the line knowing I've got a date.

Once the call was finished we gathered in a couple of the cars and headed out. Of course, the guys want to know what was said and what was going on. I relayed the information about the gala and her insistence that we each have dates this year. This went over like a lead balloon for most of them.

"So, if I ask Hunter to be my date, would that count?" Wyatt asks, gaining all of our attention.

"You really want to go on a date with Hunter?" Sawyer questions." She's got an attitude about dating anyone we know."

"Yeah well, I just thought since we're both going anyway, it gets us both off the hook." I have to admit, the guy's right. Smart idea and Grandma would love to have the Segler's as part of our family.

We've known them for years, from when Uncle Blake was playing and Matt was expanding the business to more than football. When Roan and his dad had their falling out, Grandma offered to help him out here. Between Dillon and Bailey and our family, he came around to us. He and Reese just haven't talked in a couple years. I'm not sure how that's going to work if they come to the gala this year. There might be some fireworks.

We got to the dorm to get the girls and of course they aren't ready yet. As we waited for them, we raided the fridge and sat in the living room watching a little ESPN. My picture is finally out of the spotlight and the network has moved on to better things.

Hunter quietly tells me about what happened at the diner and how Riley took the blame for the mess when it was really her who did it. I know she feels bad about it and wants to make it right. Hunter isn't one to let someone else take the blame for her mistakes.

"I tried to tell Stan but he wouldn't listen to me. Riley lost her job because of me." Hunter says with a sigh. "She doesn't want me to go back there and explain it. I don't get it."

I'm actually glad she's not working there. I should have known this would happen. That diner is a campus hangout. Sooner or later someone was going to do this. The cheerleaders seem to believe I should be with one of them. I know they don't see Riley as my type and the captain of them is sure I should be with her. I'm not in agreement with her.

I'm with the person I want to be with. I don't give a rats ass what anyone else thinks about my choices. I'm the one who has to live with them and the only people I take into consideration is my family. Their opinions are the only ones I respect enough to give merit. These people at school don't really know me. They just see my name and dollar signs and what image they expect from that.

Screw all of them

My mind goes back to Riley and how she has changed things for me. I'd never consider where a girl works or how I don't get to see her as much as I'd like until now. I can see her whenever I want now that she's not working. And taking her to the gala is just that much easier.

I'd be pissed about my family pushing me to get a date for the gala but for the first time I'm excited to get to show Riley off. I'm proud to have her going with me. Thinking about that and how I dreaded taking Leighton to events, I get lost in thoughts. It's then I hear Wyatt softly talking to Hunter.

"So, uh, Hunter... do you have a date for the gala?" The guy sounds so nervous I almost feel bad for him.

I know my cousin. She's a pistol, her choice in guys hasn't been great and I know she's put up a wall. Hunter hasn't dated anyone in over a year, at least nothing serious. As kids she had a thing for Wyatt but I'm sure she's long over that. I'm not sure Hunter would see him as anything serious since this is just a way to get them both out of finding dates.

"No, I don't want one but Grandma has already called me instructing me to invite someone to escort me." Her tone says everything, she doesn't want a date.

"Yeah,  me too. I was thinking we could solve that and just go together. You know just to get them off our backs." Nice slick way around that little problem. I gotta give the guy credit, he just might get a date with her yet.

"You know, they'll just expect us to do other things together. Grandma won't let it go with just one date." Oh Hunter, you know Grandma so well. She's exactly right there. Grandma can be a dog with a bone on some subjects.

"Would that really be so bad? I mean, it could take the heat off of both of us. We could go to these things, family dinners and all, and let them think we're together, like a couple. Then when either of us find someone we really want to date, we agree that this arrangement is over. No problem." Oh buddy, that's a really bad idea.

"Maybe..." There's a certain gleam in Hunter's eyes that I don't like. "Maybe that could work." Her smile has me worried.

I can't see this ending well.

Leaving the room to find Riley, I decide I don't want to know the details of this. It's only going to end ugly for both of them. I know Wyatt has had a crush on her for a while now. I also know Hunter is oblivious to it. The girl notices nothing, I swear.

Walking down the hall, I knock quietly on Riley's door before I open it. She's not in there but the bathroom door is slightly open, steam is flowing out the crack of the door. Her clothes are in a pile on the floor, her bag tossed absently on her bed and her phone charging on her desk. A picture of the two of us smiling up at me.

We've taken several pictures lately. At the last game, during our study sessions and a couple times in the quad. Usually I avoid getting any pictures taken with anyone but family. Riley's different, she's changed my mind on this aspect of a relationship. I want pictures of her, of us. I actually look at them and save them. I've never done that before, even with Leighton.

Leighton would snap pictures of me or us without my knowing and post them on social media. She'd get pictures taken of us and frame them up for me. I only left one out. Then if she ever showed up she'd see it and so did every girl I slept with. I never hid that I had a girlfriend.

Now I just want to keep Riley to myself. Not because I'm ashamed of dating her but because I don't want things like what happened today to happen to her again. Girls can be vicious when jealousy takes root. I don't want Riley to deal with the sour aspect of my life just yet.

I step across the room to let Riley know I'm in here when the door opens up and there's my girl, stepping out of the bathroom naked as a jaybird except for the towel on her head. Her skin glistens as steam rolls out behind her, like smoke wafting behind an angel. Water droplets roll down from her shoulders and over her breasts. Damn, I've lost the urge to go out as I shift my legs to adjust the sudden bulge in my shorts.

"Oh my God! Aiden, you scared the crap out of me!" Riley immediately yanks at the towel on her head. Sending her hair tumbling down as she tries to cover herself.

"No, no baby... don't do that. I like this view." Reaching for her hands, I remove them from her thigh, her breasts. Looking like my very own Lady Godiva, Riley blushes when my eyes take in every inch of her.

"If you took a picture, it would last longer. And I won't have to freeze." She teases but something about that offer is very tempting.

"Can I?" I smile in hopes of having just that to look at when it's just me and I can't be with her.

It wouldn't be for anyone else. I'd never share something that personal. I know some guys do but that's just cheapening the girl and the relationship. I wouldn't do that to her.

Seeing the concerned look on Riley's face, I know she doesn't realize I'm joking. "I'm kidding, baby. I'd like one but I know how people are and I wouldn't want anyone to get a hold of it. I wouldn't share you that way with anyone."

"Okay... What are you doing here? I thought you had a project you were working on?" She relaxes and passes me. I turn getting a nice view of her backside.

As she gets dressed we talk. I tell her about the project and what I want to do, we talk about her issue at work and what happened, then I tell her about the gala and Grandma's request she comes.

She finishes getting ready and I tell her about Wyatt's plan to ask Hunter to the gala and laugh knowing she just isn't interested in him. "He's gonna get hurt. Hunter isn't interested in him that way."

"Yes, she is. Hunter has a big crush on Wyatt." Riley informs me as we step out of the bedroom.

My feet trip over each other as this information sinks in. Hunter still likes Wyatt? Why didn't I know this?

Please remember to vote comment and share if you are enjoying this book thank you

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

42.4K 620 7
~ Don't ever let someone's skewed perceptions of you undermine your own self worth ~ Beckett Eldren is the outcast of the Bradford family. As the il...
4M 73.6K 56
Emery Ashford had a smart mouth. She was known for it. As an outgoing teenager Emery was always hanging out with friends and with a lack of filter sh...
93.1K 3.8K 22
Even though she's one year out of college, for once in her life, Reese Adler is going to have a summer for herself. Her little brother, who she pract...
4.6M 95.7K 77
COMPLETED Penn State University. Home to the craziest sorority girls, most obnoxious football players, and a possible Vice President's son. Sloane Be...