Brown Skinned Bet

By MarieB_5

Pacific Crest International High School,Lekki,Lagos State. To Nigerian parents,its just the school they wish... More

Prologue
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII
Chapter XXIX
Chapter XXX
Chapter XXXI
Chapter XXXII
Chapter XXXIII
Chapter XXXIV
Chapter XXXV
Chapter XXXVI
Chapter XXXVII
Chapter XXXVIII
Chapter XXXIX
Chapter XL
Chapter XLI
Chapter XLII
Chapter XLIII
Chapter XLIV
Chapter XLV
Chapter XLVI
Chapter XLVII
Chapter XLVIII
Last Part
The Yearbook
New Book Lurk

Chapter XIII

186 33 0
By MarieB_5

Kainene

          The week had gone by quicker than I expected it to,there were less unexpected occurrences so I could proudly say my life was going back to shape. Besides the orientation of the new students,I was sure there was nothing special going on in our school in general.

         Well,I couldnt say that there werent things that pinched my mind from time to time. I recalled walking down the slabways and meeting Jawal at the intersection who was headed for the matron's office.

         "How did the debate go?" He'd asked me as we walked. "We lost the debate sha but it was okay in general,at least I'm done right?" I replied.

         "Ahah,after all your plenty cramming like you wanted to die" he sympathised. "Its not my test so I didnt lose anything" I told him. "You now,how has it been for you?" I was quick to change the topic.

         "My dear,Auntie Yinka has just been using me to do all these new student work,we even have to organise people to arrange auditorium every morning for their orientation,its stressful abeg" he explained to me.

        "I understand sha,me I didnt even want a buddy in the first place. I'm happy my buddy isnt stressing me sha,she and her twin are figuring it out well" I told him.

         "That means you're even lucky sef" he commented,as he started walking backwards so facing me. "My bunkie is a new student and the guy freaking bed-wets Kainene" he told me,making me give off a long laugh as amusement surged through me while we reached our class.

        But I hadnt laughed that long because what he'd said was that funny. I'd remembered when Daryl told me about a junior student and described his situation as 'nocturnal enuresis'. I gave off a sigh,realising what I'd thought about.

         Jawal and I talked for extra minutes before he excused himself to answer to our matron,Auntie Yinka's call. Jade and Onome sat behind the class,talking with the rest of our classmates while trying to update their chemistry notes from mine.

         After a while of sitting in silence,I found myself walking to the corridors of the classroom and someway,somehow,I got engrossed in watching the boys play their football game.

         I hadnt watched for long before I witnessed the,should I say,tragic scene of Daryl crashing into the ground and Martins following suit beside him. As much as a surprise it'd come to me,I couldn't say I'd not expected it. He'd been running too fast,it was bound to happen.

          I watched him limp to the sidelines of the field,suddenly losing interest in the game as I watched him whince in pain as he lowered himself into the chair. He should have at least gained cover from the scorch of the sun. Realising what I was doing,I sighed and walked back into the class.

         "Kainene,are you sure you dont wan to come to ref?" Jade questioned from where she leaned on my desk. "I'm sure,after all I dont like spaghetti so what's the point?" I replied.

        "What if Auntie Yinka going round to check today?" Onome questioned,throwing her school bag over her shoulders. "Then I'll just give up na,but for now let me stay biko" I told them. "No wahala sha,we'll carry your snacks" Jade told me.

        "Thank you my love" I smiled. "Bye!" They called out and I waved back before they could stride out of the class. After they'd taken their leave,the rest of the class slowly emptied out until I was sure the class had gone dead silent.

           I decided to continue reading the novel I'd been reading ever since first week,I hadnt time to complete it as academic activities were in full blast now but I decided to read it now as I felt too weak to try study anything.

         The sound of slow and unrythmic threading of feet had my gaze diverting from the conventional printed letters of the text to the person who was walking into the class,Daryl. Our gazes met and we looked away as he paused in his tracks before continuing to his seat.

         His seat was behind mine so I could neither see him or figure what he was up to as he was barely making a sound. I felt sorry for him,I really did but that didnt mean I'd forgotten my anger towards him either. I bit back the urge to turn back,forcing my concentration back to the book in my hands.

        The shuffling of his feet met my ears again and this time,I concluded he was struggling to stand up from his seat. Finally giving into my curiosity,I questioned coldly,trying my best not too sound too concerned "Does it hurt that much?"

         When I didn't get an answer,I looked back,finding his gaze resting on me. "Does it?" I questioned again. "I thought you didn't want to talk to me" he pointed out and I shrugged.

         "I don't,its just that your feet are making too much noise so I cant concentrate on my book" I explained nonchalantly. He raised a brow at me before giving a slight nod,even I didnt buy my explanation.

         "I see" he muttered under his breath. "Its not that painful,it just stings from time to time" he told me and I nodded. "Why were you playing so aggressively?" I found myself pouring out all the questions that had been reeling through my mind.

        He looked to me,emotions clouding his orbs as he did. "Never mind" I brushed off the topic,attempting to turn back to my book. "You were watching?" He inquired. "Let's just say I just happened to be watching" I replied.

        "I felt angry at myself" he replied before I could turn away,making me look back to him like I was urging him to continue.

         "For doing what?" I questioned. "For everything,everything I did. I havent been able to get it off my mind" he explained,coming to lean on the desk beside mine. "I'm sorry Kainene,I really am" he apologised.

        "What are you sorry for Daryl?" I queried,tilting my head so I could rest it on the knuckles of my hand whose elbow lay on my desk. He sighed,running his hands over his face.

         "You see,the annoying part is that you dont even know what you did. So you're just want me to stop being angry but you don't even know what action of yours you're sorry for" I told him,feeling needles prick my skin as I watched remorse grace his facial features even more.

         "Okay,please can you just tell me what exactly you're mad at me for? I know I was being petty about everything but..." I was quick to cut him off. "You know what...I don't even want to talk about this" I declared,turning back to my book completely this time.

        "Kainene,please...." he breathed,tiredness laced in his tone. "...please,can we just talk this over?" He pleaded but I was far from being shaken for feelings of pity. "But I don't want to talk about it" I told him,flipping to the next page of my book.

         "Kainene..." he called again. "Daryl,if you wont leave me to read my book in peace...." I started,taking to my feet. "...then I'll just leave the class for you" I told him,zipping my school bag and taking to my feet with my novel in hand.

          "Why are you reacting excessively over this?" He questioned,grasping my arms before I could walk past him. "So I'm over reacting right?" I questioned back with a dry laugh.

         "No no,you're not,I take that back...its just..." he tried to rephrase. "You're just annoying me the more Daryl,seriously,please leave me alone" I told him calmly.

         "I'll leave you when you tell me what's making you this mad at me. Is it because we lost?" he told me. I didnt have it in me to fight him. Even if it was a normal day when I was full of energy,I still wouldnt be able to overcome his strength,what more a day I felt so weak to hunger.

         "Why would I be mad because we lost? Why can't you figure it out yourself?" I questioned. "I'm trying.." he started. "By saying that I'm overreacting,that doesnt seem like trying to me" I told him,making him exhale heavily.

         "Daryl,please just leave me alone abeg,I'm very weak right now" I tried to shrug his grasp off. "Tell me what I did then!" His voice rose a pitch higher. "Leave me alone!" I practically yelled back.

        "What is happening there?!" Another voice cut through our conversation,breaking me free from Daryl's hold. Resisting the urge to hiss,I noticed Auntie Yinka walk into the class.

         "Daryl,what is going on here?" She directed at the person she knew better between the both of us. Of course,noone could exist in this school and not know Daryl.

          "Nothing ma" Daryl replied with a stoic expression. "Lunch is going on in the refectory and you are here?" She queried him. "I was just about to go to ref" Daryl told her again. "Oya,you and your girlfriend,be on your way,fast!" She ordered.

         We both walked back to our seats,grabbing our school bags. "I dont want to see both of you here when I come back" she warned,stepping out of the class. Not like I couldn't have chosen to disobey her,but I already felt stressed as it was and I didnt have energy to face any authority this faithful afternoon.

         Daryl and I threaded down the corridors in silence,it was funny how we actually walked together when we could have gone our separate ways. Sometimes,my mind really worked against my will.

         "Did you ask me why I said all those things?" I started,feeling guilt begin to swirl in me. I didn't want to end up being the bad one in this whole issue. "I know I didn't and I'm..." I was quick to cut him off.

         "I don't want an apology from you,I just wanted you to at least ask,if I was really referring to you when I said those things but you never did" I explained,crossing my arms over my chest.

         "Were you?" He questioned. I hesitated,rethinking in my head if I really wanted to let this go. "No,I wasnt. I never once felt bad that I was grouped with you..." I started,taking another deep breath.

        "I hate debates,like I really really hate debates. I was angry because I never intended to participate in the debate but my stupid seatmate just had to throw me in,it was never about you" I told him.

        "I'm sorry for misunderstanding" he apologised and I nodded. "Its okay,so that they wont be saying Kainene is the girl that over reacts all the time"I mused,earning a slight chuckle.

        "That's not what I meant" he smiled and I stared at him,reciprocating his smile unknowingly. "Don't try to correct it,you've already said it" I chuckled.

        "Chai,another fuck up" he added,making us both laugh. "Because of you now,I have to go to ref when I dont even want to" I complained as we approached refectory.

         "Just eat the spaghetti na,it wont kill you" he chuckled. "It will kill me please,it will kill me" I told him,deepening his chuckle,that pitch that felt soothing to the ears.

         "Okay,to appease the gods for bringing them here,do you want anything?" He questioned. "No,I'll be fine. We don't bring provisions to school for nothing" I turned down his offer.

         "No wahala na,we're cool" he smiled as we walked through the middle of the refectory. "Cool" I assured,before walking ahead to my table.

         On getting to the table,I spotted Jade sitting at a far corner with Yomi leaning against the table,engrossed in whatever talk they were having that she'd barely noticed my presence.

         "Later she will say she doesnt do boys abi,caught in broad daylight" I told Onome as I crashed down beside her. "Azzin ehn,what about you? Weren't you vexing for Daryl that year?" She turned the question to me.

          "The bible says forgive and forget Onome" I told her,assuming a confident expression. "Forgive and forget ni,just say you've entered the suspizziouss list joorh" she teased.

         "Suspicious that I did what again now Onome? You think everybody is like you?" I mused. "At least I dont used to hide my own,unlike you and Jade that are doing corner corner" she teased back.

         "Corner corner with who abeg? Onome leave me first jowo,see who is doing corner corner there" I told her,referring to Jade and Yomi. "Dont worry,leave that one. We will table her matter" Onome concluded. Shaking my head,I took out my novel and continued from where I'd stopped,a slight feeling of relief washing over me.

Daryl

          "Yomi wetin dey happen?!!" I hailed as soon as Temi and I walked into the room as lunch had been concluded. I felt especially pumped up with energy this afternoon and after spotting Yomi at the refectory,I knew this afternoon could get even more interesting.

         "Abeg,nothing dey happen joorh. Make all of una leave me" he sneered at us,Sele who was sitting on the divider and Collins who was seated on his bed,probably also interrogating him.

         "Yomi dey catch big fish,all of una dey here dey dull shows" Sele laughed,making Yomi throw his pillow at him. "F*ck out of my divider guy!" Yomi yelled at him.

         "Ahah,Yomi na babe dey make you vex like this?" I teased,the same way he'd teased me last saturday. "Yes,na babe dey make me vex,make all of una commot abeg!" He yelled back at me.

         "Ahahhh!!!!" We chorused before bursting into drumming laughter. "Its all what??!!!" Temi started. "Its all over!!!" We yelled back as we laughed,frustration lining Yomi's features.

        "I no just blame all of una,honestly. Person no fit talk to girl again?" Yomi questioned. "Abi na you wan yab all of us finish,that's how we will be catching all of you" Sele told him.

         "Daryl watch out o.My eye dey your side,you're up next" Yomi chuckled before walking out of my room. "West wood boys,come to the square,ten...nine...eight..."he began the normal manual timing.

         "Abeg no go kill our boys o!" I called to him. "F*ck you man!" He yelled back,making all of us laugh.

         "But Daryl,you sure say nothing dey happen between you and Kainene?" Sele questioned. "Nothing dey happen,guy,mind your business" I told him,even though I felt myself smile inwardly.

        I felt elated she'd finally come clean about what annoyed her and we were back on stable grounds. I didnt know if I could go an extra day with the turmoil in my mind. Like I said,Kainene was unpredictable and even though I had little or no hope that she would tell me what happened,she actually did. Here I was thinking I knew girls through and through,I wondered how much she would still prove me wrong.

          Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed the chapter,please don't forget to vote and comment. Thanks for reading🤗💕.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.7K 3.7K 59
"Pleaseee...abeg, don't start this morning oo! It won't be funny" I threatened. "And what are you gonna do about it baby?" He smirked, whispering the...
6.6K 2K 31
Everyone does not have the flawless life we all seem they have, some have obstacles to face, battles to fight and as teenagers, stages to over come...
18.8K 4.8K 36
{A Nigerian Themed Novel😘} "You can't leave cause I have feelings for you!" I scream without thinking. My eyes widen and I draw my hands over my mo...
40.1K 6.8K 17
Cover by African Cover Shop @africanliterature #526 in short story [14-01-2018] #810 in short story [01-01-2018) An intriguing story of three univers...