The Price of Pride

By nickym96

Events leading up to and following the tragic beach dinner date (episodes 39-41) still haunt both Emir and Re... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41

Chapter 27

454 15 4
By nickym96

Reyhan wakes the next morning to muffled voices coming from her kitchen. Just thinking about the kitchen has her stomach rumbling in hunger. She just shakes her head as she looks down at her belly.

"Time to feed you, Little One?" she wonders aloud. She lets out a laugh when her stomach lets out even more noises, seemingly in answer of her question. "Tamam, tamam. Let's go see what Daddy is cooking."

She makes a trip to the bathroom first and then grabs her robe to go out with her family. She's just reaching for the door when it opens first, Emir stepping inside.

"You're awake," he notes with a wide smile. "Why don't you get dressed. I have a surprise out here for you."

"Surprise?" she asks, curious at what he's planning. She tries to peek around him to see what's going on outside the room, but he's too big and fills the whole door frame. She just gives him an impatient glare. "Emir."

"Reyhan," he says, answering her in the same tone. But then he does his best puppy expression and she knows then and there she won't be able to resist any request. If their baby takes after him in the slightest, she realizes now she's going to be a pushover.

"Fine," she sighs. "Give me five minutes."

He leans in for a kiss and she just rolls her eyes and pushes him out the door. But at the last minute, she changes her mind and pulls him back, again unable to resist him. Or his kisses. He leaves her light headed and panting a full minute later.

"Four minutes," he says with a laugh. "Hurry up. We're waiting."

He ducks out the door before she can ask him any more questions.

She shakes her head at this antics. Sometimes she can't believe this always sweet, but sometimes silly man is the same man that she married. But to be fair, she isn't the same woman he married. It took trial and error and compromise, but together they've become the people they were meant to be. The couple they were meant to be. Before, she never imagined she could learn to live with him. But now, she can't imagine ever being able to live without him. He's the piece of her she never knew was missing.

It's hard to believe he came from a woman like Cavidan Tarhun. That woman is pure hate. Even still, Reyhan feels bad for giving up on her and that relationship. But she's just so tired. She doesn't have the strength to let that woman abuse her anymore for the sake of keeping the family together. She can't stop Emir from being with his family, but Reyhan refuses to allow her children to be abused by Cavidan the way she has been abused. Maybe one day the woman will come around, but Reyhan doesn't see it happening anytime soon. All she can do is stay out of Cavidan's way. And hopefully have a bit of peace in the meantime. She's okay with that, she realizes. She's not truly giving up. She's just stepping back. Stepping out of Cavidan's way. Out of sight, out of mind. Isn't that how the saying goes? She'll stay far out of Cavidan's sight. And maybe the woman will forget about the inexplicable vendetta she seems to have against Reyhan.

Whether she does or doesn't is not anything Reyhan can change right now. All Reyhan can do is live her life. Be healthy and happy with her own family. She has a husband who loves her. Children. Parents. After being so long without a father and suddenly without her mother, Emine and Murat have been miracles. Defne is as much a sister to her as Zafer is a brother to Emir. She's happy. She's content. And that's all that matters. That and the surprise her wonderful husband has for her. She's kept him waiting long enough. She rushes to get dressed to see what he's planned.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"My life ... is over."

Cavidan rolls her eyes at the dramatics coming from Cemre. The girl all but flops down on the couch, focusing an angry glare at Cavidan.

"Why didn't you tell me she's pregnant?" Cemre hisses. "I was taken completely off guard and left speechless. And she rubbed it in my face, gloating at my misery."

"I just found out about that myself," Cavidan says with a frown. "She's sneakier than I thought she would be. I thought she would be content with that little orphan girl. But no. She added a baby to the mix."

"They have kids, Cavidan teyze," Cemre whines. "Kids! Not one, but two! How am I going to compete with that? He's never going to leave her now."

The pregnancy worries Cavidan too, but she keeps her worries to herself. No need for Cemre to have even more of a breakdown.

"And where did that baby come from anyway? How did she get pregnant?"

Her question amuses Cavidan, bringing needed levity to the situation they're dealing with.

"Um, Cemre dear. That's a conversation you should be having with your mother."

"Stop, Cavidan teyze. You know what I mean," Cemre groans, rubbing her aching temples. "I know where babies come from. But why is he doing that with her?"

"Because men are weak creatures," Cavidan sighs, disappointed in her son falling for the oldest trick in the book. But she has to believe it isn't too late for him. She has to believe and she has to make Cemre believe. "This is nothing. She's nothing. We're still continuing our plans to get rid of her."

"But the baby," Cemre interrupts. "He's not going to let her leave with his baby."

"It should be easy enough to make Emir believe she cheated on him and that the baby isn't his," Cavidan says, dismissing Cemre's concerns with a shrug. "We did it before with Vural. We'll do it again. We'll fake a paternity test if necessary. But she'll be gone long before she gives birth. Trust me."

Cavidan can only hope that she's right. But even she's starting to doubt they'll win this. She may need to consider a more drastic solution to the problem. A solution that would shake the whole foundation of the family and change things irrevocably. Nobody wants that to happen, not even Cavidan. But it may be her only solution. Hopefully Reyhan won't force her to such desperate measures. But Cavidan has to be prepared. She refuses to let Reyhan win this. Even if it means losing her son in the end.

If I can't have Emir, no one will. Cavidan makes that morbid promise to herself, praying it doesn't get that far. But she may not have a choice.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Reyhan smiles down at the bundle in her arms. He's so much bigger than the last time she saw him. But still has that wonderful baby smell.

"He's a little prince, Defne," she says in a soft voice to avoid waking the baby, leaning down to get a good sniff. Her stomach flutters in anticipation of holding her own little bundle soon.

This was the big surprise Emir had planned for her - a visit from Zafer and Defne. She had been missing their old life in Ankara so much and he's done all this to bring a little of Ankara to her. First the dinner last night at the restaurant similar to the one they used to go to in Ankara. And now with seeing their old friends again. She couldn't be happier.

"He's been a joy," Defne admits. "He's such a good baby. And Zafer is so good with him. That man was born to be a father. That was actually a surprise to me. Because ... well, you know how things started with us. He married me as a favor. But this has become so much more than either of us ever expected. He's a really good husband too."

That admission makes Defne blush.

"I'm happy that you're happy," Reyhan tells her. "You've done so much to bring happiness to our lives, helping us get Ayla. I'm so glad you found your own happiness too."

Hearing her name gets the girl's attention, but she soon goes back to trying to give the baby kisses.

"Be gentle, Aylacığım," Reyhan warns her softly. "You have to be very quiet and very careful when they're this little."

"Is my baby going to be this little?" Ayla asks innocently, trying to grab his hand. But he's swaddled pretty tightly.

"He's going to be even smaller and he's probably going to cry a lot. You're going to have to sing him lots of songs and give him lots of love. You have to be a really good big sister."

"I'm going to be the best sister," Ayla promises solemnly before asking hopefully, "Is he coming tomorrow? He can sleep with me."

"No, sweetheart," Reyhan says with a smile. "He's not coming for almost another five months."

"Is your belly going to get big like Auntie Defne's did?"

"Hey, now," Defne says, pretending like she was offended, playfully poking Ayla and tickling her. "My belly had to get big so that Baby Daniel could get big and strong."

"How did the baby get in there? Did Uncle Zafer put him there?" Ayla asks, blinking her big innocent eyes at Defne. Defne just laughs, especially when Ayla adds, "My daddy put our baby in Mommy's belly."

Reyhan isn't quite as amused and turns bright red. She briefly considers covering Ayla's mouth with her hand to stop her from talking.

"I'm going to kill Emir," she groans. "What has he been telling her?"

Defne just laughs again. But both women are grateful when Emine chooses that moment to walk into the room.

"Anneanne!" Ayla calls when she notices her grandmother. "Did you put a baby in Dede's belly too?"

"Ayla," Reyhan interrupts her before she can say anything else embarrassing. "Why don't you go draw a picture for Baby Daniel. Daddy surprised us and we didn't have a chance to buy him a gift. One of your pictures would be perfect."

"Okay, Mommy."

Ayla makes her usual dramatic exit by going around and making sure everyone gets a hug and a kiss before dashing off to her room.

"I guess I need to tell Murat to go on a diet?" Emine says with a laugh.

"That girl," Reyhan adds, just shaking her head. "She has no filter."

"And that's why we love her." Emine sits on the couch next to Reyhan so that she can take the baby. "Now, let me see this big boy."

"It's so good to see you and Zafer, Defne dear," she adds once she gets settled. "How much longer will you and Zafer be in Ankara?"

"Not much longer," Defne tells them. "We just wanted the baby to get a little older before we made the move back to Istanbul. Zafer's stepmother is anxious to have us back here, though. So I'm sure it will be sooner rather than later."

"And your job? What about the children you work with? What are they going to do without you?" Emine asks curiously, but tries to reassure her when she sees Defne's face fall. "I'm sorry, dear. That came out all wrong. I'm asking because I was just curious if you'd be interested in doing something similar here? The both of you, actually."

Emine smiles cryptically at both Defne and Reyhan. The two younger women look at each other in confusion, wondering what Emine is up to.

"What do you mean, Anne?" Reyhan asks her. "What kind of work?"

"I think you'd both enjoy it," Emine smiles again. "I head up an organization, a consortium of various women's clubs. Mostly here and in Ankara, but there are chapters across all of Turkey. The two of you would be a good fit, especially as a part of our "Kids First" initiative. We could focus on creating an organization similar to the one you worked at in Ankara, Defne. But instead of being state run, it would be private run and depend on generous donations the club raises. Reyhancığım, you actually started me thinking of this when you told me about how you and Emir would donate the same things you'd buy for Ayla. Then you encouraged Murat and I to do the same. You have such a heart for helping others and your great ideas would do great things for the children of Istanbul too."

"I agree with your mother," Defne says to Reyhan. "That was such a kind and amazing thing you started. And with more people like you, we could help so many children. I love this idea, Emine Anne. I'd love to be a part of something like this."

"Count me in too," Reyhan eagerly agrees. "Although I don't know too many people in Istanbul. I never really left the mansion much when I was here before."

Emine scowls, knowing who to blame for that. Cavidan Tarhun. The woman had a gem of a daughter in law and stifled her. And for what? Only Cavidan Tarhun can answer that. And she soon will answer for it. Emine won't let her get away with how she treated Reyhan. Reyhan will become the prize of this society she deserves to be. And if someone like Cavidan Tarhun gets in her way, Emine will make sure she lives to regret it. Nobody messes with her baby girl and gets away with it.

"Cavidan failed you," Emine says point blank. "I know you don't want to get into the troubles you've had with that woman, but you're not alone anymore, kizim. No one can treat my child that way, understand?"

"I can't fight her anymore," Reyhan insists, hand going to her belly. "I have too much at stake now. I have to put my family first. Emir says that if she doesn't want to be a part of it, then we can't worry about her anymore."

"I knew my son in law was a good one," Emine smiles, proud of Emir's devotion. "And he's absolutely right to put you and your family first. So listen to the man. Don't you don't feel guilty about that woman. And don't you worry about her anymore."

Not now and certainly not when Cavidan Tarhun gets what's coming to her. Emine will make sure of it.

"First things first," Emine says, changing back to their previous topic. "Connections are key. And through me, the two of you will have all the connections you need. But we need to get your faces out there, so first we throw a party. The party of the season."

Reyhan looks wary, but Emine won't let her back down. Because this will be the party of the season and Reyhan will be the center of attention. Cavidan Tarhun won't be invited and will have to watch from afar as the daughter in law she treated like trash gets elevated almost to the level of royalty. The woman will hate it. But it will just be the beginning. By the time Emine is done with her, Cavidan Tarhun will be practically groveling at Reyhan's feet. Only then will she even begin to realize what she's lost. Only then will she begin to suffer for her actions.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Abi!"

Emir lets out a relieved sigh when he sets his eyes on Suna. She appears to be happy to see him.

"I found you," he says, pulling her into his arms for a tight hug. "We were so worried."

Emir gives her one last squeeze before letting go and letting Zafer get a hug too. That was another favor he asked of his friend. Not only to bring Defne for a visit to lift Reyhan's spirits. But also to search for where Cavidan had stashed Suna. Fortunately Zafer is resourceful and managed to find Suna fairly quickly.

"Now let's get you out of here," Emir says. Emine and Murat all but insisted on bringing Suna once Emir explained the situation. "You're coming home with me."

"Abi, wait," she says hesitantly. "That's super nice, but will there be room for me? I don't want to impose."

Emir almost laughs. Room is the last thing to worry about. But Emir is curious why Suna would think such a thing.

"It's fine, trust me," he assures her. "But why do you think it would be a problem?"

"Well, Anne said ..." Suna trails off after blushing, realizing what she just said. "Anne probably lied, though. She said that Reyhan probably had you living in some slum because the accountants haven't let her know about any money you've spent. She keeps a close track on the money ever since Baba got sick."

That raises Emir's eyebrows. He turns to give Zafer a look and Zafer just nods. He'll look into it for Emir. It could be nothing, but Emir is starting to doubt everything his mother does now. But this attention to the money is suspicious. Emir is going to have to have a long talk with the accountants.

"In any event," Suna continues. "I actually don't mind being here. For once, I think Anne actually did the right thing for me. Being away from her has been good for me. I'm actually getting the care I need here. I get to take classes and do physical therapy. And there are people here for me to talk to. Really talk."

"Oh, Suna. You know you can always talk to me," Emir says sadly, thinking he's let her down.

"I know, Abi. But this latest thing with Anne, it shook me," Suna admits. "She had Cemre lock Reyhan inside that freezer just to keep her out of the way. The freezer, Emir! Who does that? She's a lot. And I'm ashamed to say she's too much for me. I can't be stuck in that house with her anymore. And I can't risk being so vulnerable to her anymore. That's why this is the best place for me right now. Even if just as a haven away from her. I just can't see her right now."

"I understand, canim." Emir kisses her forehead. "I'll take her off your visit list and make sure your doctors only contact me or Reyhan, if that's okay with you."

"That's perfect." Suna gives him a relieved smile. The change of subject to Reyhan seems to relax her. "Where is Reyhan? And my little niece? Why didn't they come?"

Emir and Zafer exchange looks again, not wanting to tell Suna anything that would worry her.

"Reyhan is home resting," is all Emir says, not wanting to mention the near breakdown she had the other night at the mansion facing Cavidan that last time. "She doesn't know what happened to you. But now that we've found you, I'll make sure to bring her next time. She's actually at home with Zafer's wife and baby."

Suna brightens at the mention of the baby and turns her attention to Zafer as he pulls out his phone to show pictures. Emir is relieved for the respite. He's still a bit shaky thinking about all his little sister has been through. She's so strong and he's so proud of her. But once again, his mother has pulled the rug right from under him and the foundation he thought his life was built on.

But at least he knows now. That's the one good thing of all this happening. He may not know exactly what his mother is up to, but he knows she has something planned. She's been systematically destroying their family, bit by bit. Reyhan's arrival seems to have prompted it all, but people don't turn this evil overnight. He was only blind to her true nature all this time. But no more. He sees her now. And he will stop her. She won't be able to hurt them anymore. Then they will be able to rebuild all that his mother has torn down.

With that resolution in mind, he tunes back into the conversation between Zafer and Suna. He smiles when he hears Ayla's voice over the phone. Zafer has done a video call with Defne and in her usual fashion, Miss Ayla has become the center of attention. He loves how happy and confident she is. And once again, he resolves to protect that happiness. And to do that, he has to stop his mother from whatever she has planned. The mantle of responsibility is heavy, but he will gladly bear it if it means keeping his family healthy and safe. Even if the enemy is his own mother.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Fallible By UmmSalmaan

General Fiction

4.2K 602 21
She didn't know she had it for him this bad until Umaymah told her he will be travelling out. It wasn't like she was going to see him often anymore...
46.5K 1.9K 68
It was love at first sight for both of them. Though they never accepted this, but it was there. They felt that spark when the very first time their e...
177K 8.2K 30
[NOT EDITED READ AT YOUR OWN RISK] Watch what happens to an innocent bride who married a rich cocky man who doesn't even know her? Will he end up fal...
15.4K 464 18
After the divorce, Reyhan is forced to return to the mansion when Hikmet takes a turn for the worst. He gets better, but when she gets a mysterious n...