Forever Original | Alaric Sal...

By SprintingFox

Ruthless, vicious, psychotic, the first of a pair of twins that were known for wreaking havoc anywhere their... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Epilogue
Final Author's Note

Chapter 60

1.3K 44 46
By SprintingFox

They returned to the Compound only to have to wait.

Davina had left just after they returned, letting Kol know she was meeting with Josh. Kol had given her a gentle kiss after apologizing, and had gone to the dining room to have a meal.

Hilda had gone to where Alaric had already put the twins to bed.

"They're so adorable when they're asleep," the Original sighed as she leaned over the bars of the cradle, looking at the twins' faces. She reached a hand in to caress each little girl's head. "Kol agreed to the cleansing. Freya texted me... they're almost here. All we've got to do is wait. Hopefully Nik will be back soon."

Alaric came to stand beside her. "And how are you? Do you feel... better?"

She shrugged. "I suppose I feel slightly improved. It's a lot to get used to."

"We can always stay longer than a few weeks, if you'd like. I really don't mind. I won't be starting work until the fall, and we can move everything in a week. The house is small and furniture can be moved in by hired workers."

Hilda shook her head. "No, once the house is ready, we ought to go. Kol isn't keen on staying, either, and he might feel better if he knows he's not the only one straying away. We need the space. I love my siblings, and they can always visit, and we can always pop in here. But being crammed together all the time is not ideal. Especially not with the girls so young."

Alaric drummed his fingers on the table. "Your family... they've improved."

"Yes, they have. I can't imagine how great the improvement must seem from your perspective."

Alaric chuckled. "Well, first, we met your brother Elijah when he tried to take Elena... then Klaus possessed my body before showing his face... after the thing with Jenna we were just absolutely terrified. The Mikaelson name commands a lot of fear and grudging respect. Then Rebekah arrived... then you, Kol, and Finn. I swear, when I was first told about you all being woken up, I was certain I was going to watch everyone die before being killed. If all of you worked together to eliminate a common enemy... jeez, I'd feel bad for that enemy."

Hilda grinned. "Yes, I expect so. I can imagine... if my parents were better people...we'd've been truly unstoppable. Esther, Freya, and even Dahlia with their magic... they alone could take over the world. Mikael, Finn, Elijah, Klaus, Kol, Rebekah, and I with our physical strength and wits... I sort of like the idea of being feared. Not in the sense that I relish in scaring people, but most will choose to stand with us because they know we're the winning team when we're not up against each other."

"I admit... when Valerie told me that you were the one carrying the twins, I was terrified. But now... I feel grateful that it was you and not anyone else. Your sisters are good influences. And your brothers, they make a clear effort to set aside their anger to be gentle around the twins."

She patted his arm with a small smile. "I'm glad you at least don't mind us all being around them. I know we're definitely some of the worst people on the planet, but... we all have soft sides. Even Finn, as you can see."

It was around an hour later when they heard a commotion at the entrance.

Hilda sped down as Freya and Elijah struggled to carry Finn into the couch of the courtyard. "Don't leave me in here!" yelled Finn, thrashing and looking completely crazed. "Don't leave me alone!"

Freya dropped to his side as soon as Hilda took her place to help Elijah lower their eldest brother down. "Hey, hey, hey," she said soothingly, stroking his head. "You're not alone, Finn. I'm here."

Finn let out a wheeze and grasped onto Hilda's arm tightly, staring at her with wild, bloodshot eyes. "Don't leave..."

"I'm not leaving, Finn," said Hilda gently, patting his arm and making him loosen his grip slightly. "I'm right here. Let me just see the bite." She took his other arm and tried not to grimace at the sight of the oozing wound.

"Don't leave," Finn repeated, putting more pressure on her wrist.

"Why is he talking like this?" asked Freya, her eyebrows furrowed in worry.

Elijah looked uncomfortably at Hilda. "It's hallucinations of our betrayal. It's his nightmare."

They heard footsteps as Kol entered the room, plopping onto the opposite couch without so much as a second look at Finn. He couldn't have been more unbothered. "Well, he looks awful," he said blandly. "Werewolf bite— that's got to hurt, mate. So, Lucien's a bloody hybrid?"

"We don't know what he is," said Elijah. "His venom seems to work twice as fast."

"That's good," said Freya optimistically. "Maybe it'll work through his system twice as fast."

Kol shrugged nonchalantly. "Or it's twice as lethal," he said, getting up. "Now, if Niklaus doesn't get here in time, he might die. With a bit of luck..."

With flared anger, Freya shot up and whirled around, slapping Kol right in the face. "What is wrong with you?" she screamed.

The darke veins rose into Kol's eyes and he lunged at Freya, but Hilda shot between them just before Kol managed to bite into their eldest sister's neck. Had Hilda not been shorter, he would have bitten her instead.

"Behave yourselves!" snapped Elijah. "Both of you!"

Another pair of footsteps. "Sibling squabbling," came Klaus's voice. "How familiar. Although, the teams seem to have changed... Someone care to tell me why?"

"Our brother needs us," said Elijah firmly. Hilda sank back down to support Finn's neck as Klaus came forward, biting into his own wrist as the man on the couch wheezed painfully. The hybrid gave him his blood, and Hilda stroked his hair.

"Thank you, brother," panted Finn as he stopped feeding, some color returning to his face.

"How are you feeling?" asked Freya.

"I feel... strangely euphoric," whispered Finn.

Klaus smirked. "I've been known to have that effect."

Kol started to clap slowly, mocking them. "What a precious family moment. Pardon me while I go and gouge out my eyes with a hot poker."

"Kol," said Hilda in a warning tone.

But Finn didn't seem very bothered. "I thank even you, Kol," he said. "Your little witch actually came through. Often... I forget how much you and Hilda know about magic."

That wiped the smug look off of Kol's face. He turned slightly pink, as if this comment had really surprised him.

"Today," continued Finn gently. "I saw a glimpse of your coveted 'Always and Forever.'" He patted Hilda's arm before looking at Klaus. "And I—" He suddenly started to cough violently, throwing himself over the edge of the couch and spitting a pool of blood onto the floor.

"Finn!" yelled Klaus as Hilda tried to rub his back frantically.

"Finn— what's happening?" said Elijah in panic as Finn continued to grunt in pain. "What's wrong with him?"

"He should be better now," muttered Hilda worriedly, flinching as Finn spat some more blood out, a few drops landing in her face.

"His body, it's dying," said Freya as Finn slumped back, still wheezing.

"No!" yelled Klaus. "No, it's not possible— I cured him!"

"Freya," panted Finn, clawing at her hand. "Hilly— p-please.."

"Try to focus on breathing," said Hilda as calmly as she could, though on the inside, she felt like she was being torn apart from concern. "We're going to fix you, alright? It might just be that you— you didn't have enough..."

Freya looked up at her brothers, trying to come up with a solution. "Get my pendant."

"It won't work!" said Kol, looking greatly agitated. "Davina fused his soul to his body."

"We've got to try!" cried Freya. "There's no Other Side— no Ancestral well if he dies!"

"No," said Klaus, holding his temples as he, too, tried to think. "Kol— get your bloody girlfriend back here to undo what she's done! Finn, you will drink from the source until Freya can move you—" he made to bite into his wrist, but Finn yelled out.

"NO!" he rasped as loud as he could. "Don't leave me alone! Hilly— Freya— where have you gone?!"

"Finn," said Freya, taking his free hand and squeezing it tightly. "I'm here, brother. Hilda's here, and so is Elijah, and Kol, and Klaus..." Attempting to make contact, Kol and Elijah placed their hands on each of Finn's legs while Klaus switched with Hilda, who moved to stroke Finn's hair again, trying to soothe him as he started to sob. "Please..."

"You are not alone," said Freya, her eyes glistening with tears and her body trembling. "I am here. I am here with you. Okay? I'm with you."

"Finn," whispered Hilda as he closed his eyes. "Finn... we've got you..."

His hold on Klaus and Freya's hands loosened. His skin began to turn grey, veins rising up as he desiccated completely, causing Freya to break into sobs, each of the siblings now crying. Kol turned away, as if not wanting them to see that he, too, had gotten emotional.

Hilda sniffled and gulped back a whimper as Freya pulled her into an almost bone crushing hug, wailing and still holding onto Finn's hand, as though she was afraid to let go. She didn't until his body suddenly caught on fire, making all the siblings jump back, watching with pained looks as their brother turned into nothing but ash.

Klaus had acquired an urn from upstairs to place to put the ashes inside of. It was silver, and engraved on it was the letter 'M' for Mikaelson. Freya took the urn once it was filled, and she cradled it to her chest, pressing a kiss on the lid, her face now blotchy. "We ought to... to spread these ashes somewhere," she whispered. "He wouldn't have wanted to be in a jar for all time..."

"The docks," mumbled Hilda, her arm now around Kol, who looked numb. "He loved to swim when we were young. He taught Kol and I how..."

They made their way to the docks along the Mississippi River. Wrapped in coats, the five siblings went up against the railing, with Elijah taking the urn first. "You fought against what time and circumstance made you," he whispered. "You're free, now, Finn." He scooped a handful of ashes and tossed them into the water before passing the urn to Kol.

"I loathed you for centuries," Kol muttered. "Even now, it remains unabated. But... I know torment, brother. So, I hope you somehow find peace in the abyss." He made to take some of the ashes, but he cast Hilda a look, then turned back to the urn. Swallowing hard, he looked up at the sky. "And I... I forgive you, Finn. A part of me can understand what you did. I would have done the same to you. I don't want to hold this grudge forever." He raised his hand and let the ashes fall into the river below.

Hilda took the urn carefully in her hands, digging in and taking a small clump for herself. "It really does hurt me that my daughters will never get to know you. You, who taught me so many things. I wish there was more we could have done together, Finn. Thank you, for being the first one who didn't judge me for wanting to keep this curse to myself rather than pass it on." She released the ashes before passing the urn to Freya.

"When you were born," said Freya shakily, "you gave me a gift— you were my first friend. Today, you gifted me my life..." she sobbed even harder than she already was, and Hilda rubbed her back. "And my siblings united... even if for a moment. I love you." She tossed the ashes out. "Always and Forever, brother. 'Til forever ends."

Klaus took the urn, picking up his handful, finding that he didn't know what to say. "Just know," he mumbled, "that you will be avenged." He let the ashes in his hand fall, then flipped the urn upside down to spread the rest. The siblings were silent for a moment, watching every last bit fall into the water and be carried out of sight.

They found that Alaric had made them tea and coffee in the time they'd been gone, and had prepared several bottles of alcohol for those who needed something stronger. He had also lit a fire for them, and had the twins dozing off in their carriers not far from it, so that they would be warm but not scorching.

There was a silent appreciation for him as they took it in the upstairs living room. Freya grabbed a cup of tea first, but the instant she was finished, fueled up with bourbon. Kol and Hilda took coffee, while Elijah and Klaus went straight for the alcohol.

Hilda sat beside Alaric, half-smiling and leaning back in the couch. "I can go if you'd like," he whispered.

"No, don't," she said instantly. "Stay. The twins are undisturbed here, and we can supervise them together. I think their presence helps..."

"I'm sorry for your loss," said Alaric, a bit louder just for anyone who was listening. "Really..."

"Thank you," sniffled Freya, wiping several tears away before taking another sip of bourbon.

Klaus was by the fireplace, staring into it pensively. "Lucien did all of this to become like his maker," he muttered aloud. "And yet... my bite cannot kill an Original. What are we up against here?"

"I truly don't know," said Elijah quietly.

"I might," came Hayley's voice as she walked in with a sleeping Hope laying on her chest. "Klaus and I found Lucien's R&D lab full of werewolves. He's harvesting venom, but not to find a cure. He's trying to create a more lethal strain."

"Well, that must be what he added to the spell to make him whatever the hell he is now," said Freya venomously. "He kept boasting about having something that would make him better than an Original."

"Klaus is descended from one of the seven original wolf bloodlines," stated Hayley. "I am descended from another. Lucien's venom... is derived from all seven packs."

Hilda and Kol both tensed. "Giving him a bite that not even I can cure," said Klaus in understanding.

"There were two vials of serum, and he only drank one," said Freya. "Maybe it's because the spell will wear off eventually and he'll need another dose?"

"That would make no sense," said Kol. "The spell has to have been too strong for that. He made that for someone else."

Klaus turned to them, looking horrified. "Aurora." He and Elijah shared a look before speeding out.

"That was not a good time to remind us all that he let her live," said Hayley dejectedly as she came to sit on the other side of Kol. He offered her a wince and patted Hope's back affectionately.

"I best be off," he said, standing up. "I've got to speak to Davina about this."

"Goodnight," said Hilda quietly as he walked out. Freya gave a sniffle and lay back on the couch. Hayley grimaced. "I need to put Hope to sleep."

"Go rest, you've got to be exhausted after the drive," said Hilda, causing the younger hybrid to nod and leave the room. The Original moved to sit beside her sister, bringing her head onto her lap so that she could caress her hair.

"I don't understand why this had to happen," whispered Freya. "Why... why Finn..."

"Lucien must have been planning this for ages," muttered Hilda. "I don't think he chose Finn as a target."

"He would have bitten Elijah..." she straightened up. "Hilda... I think it's time for you to go. Get out of the city, take Kol with you. Lucien will stop at nothing to eliminate us."

"I don't know," said Alaric before Hilda could answer. "I mean... you all had to drive back, but you texted Hilda saying Lucien left faster than the Originals can even move. He could have caught Hilda or Kol anywhere here. Lured them out quickly."

"He's obviously biding his time," said Freya a bit irritably. "He intends to kill all of us, not just Elijah and Klaus."

"No, he's got a point," said Hilda, furrowing her eyebrows. "Lucien must have spies all over the city if he's been plotting a move this big. He'd've known that Kol and I were in St. Anne's not long ago... by the time he was back."

"Hilda, are you seriously going to believe he intended to take us down all in one day? Not even he would do that. No, he wants us to suffer at least several hours before making another move."

"Tristan."

The two sisters looked at Alaric. "Tristan got you immunity," he said, one hand rubbing the back of his head. "Hilda— Lucien knows you have no sirelings and that you would never try to make any, he knows you're a mother now, and if they were in on it, Tristan took a fall that benefitted Lucien greatly. I'm willing to bet that the reason the prophecy didn't mention you was because Lucien has no intentions of hurting you. Why would he? It'd be his way of getting even with Tristan. He still gets what he wants. He had several chances and he hasn't even spoken directly to you. He's leaving you out of it."

"Even if that's true, he's still coming after everyone else," said Freya, shaking her head. "And if Lucien is sparing Hilda, Aurora will in no way be so kind if—"

"It's not a matter of 'if,' sister," said Klaus gravely as he and Elijah walked back in. "It's when. She's gone."

Hilda opened her mouth, but Klaus pointed at her and snapped. "Don't you dare say that I should have killed her, I know it."

"I wasn't going to say that," said Hilda. "I was going to say a curse word, actually. What do we do, Nik?"

Klaus started to pace a bit before looking at her and Freya. "The both of you need to work on any spell you can find that will contain them. If what Alaric says is true, then you are to stay confined in this Compound, Hilly, I won't tolerate you going outside. Lucien may think to spare you but we will not take any chances. Devote yourself to spellwork and that's all."

"What?" exclaimed Hilda. "You want me to just burrow myself in here as if Lucien didn't just kill our brother? If there's going to be a battle—"

"For once in your bloody life, back down!" snapped Klaus, his eyes wide. "His ire is with Elijah and I, not any of you. I will not stand to lose the rest of my siblings. You appear to be safe for now, take advantage of that." He faced his other sister. "Freya, I ask you to leave as little as possible— werewolf venom will not harm you, but he is still strong, though your magic can help you in the event that you are cornered." He rubbed his chin, still looking intently at his siblings and ignoring the very concerned look on Alaric's face. "Just— get to work. Figure something out."

And so went a sleepless night.

While Alaric, the twins, Hayley, and Hope all rested snug in their beds, Freya and Hilda were at it. Klaus often popped in to check their progress, but when he wasn't in the room, he was off talking with Elijah, who didn't seem to be able to sleep. The two sisters were going through grimoire after grimoire. Hilda was calling several of her contacts to find out who knew useful information. It was of little use— any Coven who might've practiced magic dark enough to counter Lucien was extinct or too difficult to trace in a single day.

It was the early hours of the morning when Klaus entered the room again, and this time, he didn't leave. He paced and peered over their shoulders as they made a rough draft of the only spell they thought might work against Lucien.

"You're hovering," said Freya pointedly.

"I'm supervising," muttered Klaus. "How else to speed up your endeavors? Let's see. Perhaps I should bring Vincent here? Force him to aid you by removing his legs?"

Hilda shot him a nasty look. "Vincent's been through enough, and he hasn't the faintest idea for how to kill Lucien, either. And if he leaves St. James, he'll be a threat, too."

Elijah strolled in through the doorway. "The Ancestors are thoroughly occupied, according to Davina, terrorizing our brother," he said, holding up his phone. "She's only just informed me of what you learned yesterday. She will take Kol to be with Vincent for the day to lessen the influence of magic, but if our brother leaves, then he, too, will be a problem."

"Another day, another witch-inspired vendetta," said Klaus snidely.

"Let us focus our energies on Lucien," suggested Elijah. "How do we demolish that rodent?"

Freya sighed. "We're working on it."

"Yes!" said Klaus with a more upbeat attitude, as if he had an idea. "While we all have our roles to play, Elijah can stay here and oversee whatever Freya is doing. I'm going to actually accomplish something."

Elijah stopped him from walking out the door. "Brother, accomplishing something—"

"The time for talking is done!" snapped Klaus before brushing past him.

Freya and Hilda shared a worried look before getting back to work, hoping that their spell would be of some use.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35.8K 1.6K 28
The Mikaelsons had been royalty in New Orleans, but the youngest among the group of apex predators didn't think this enough, and dedicated her life t...
58.5K 2.2K 25
The Salvatore School for the Young and Gifted. The Mikaelson Academy for the Elite and Superior. Two schools. A decade-old rivalry. What happens when...
111K 2.6K 49
What if before the Mikaelsons were turned, Kol had a great love, who was spelled by Esther to reincarnate every time she died? Join Brenna on her jou...
42.2K 673 25
"𝑰'𝒎 𝒋𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒂𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕𝒎𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒘𝒓𝒂𝒑𝒑𝒆𝒅 𝒊𝒏 𝒂 𝒑𝒓𝒆𝒕𝒕𝒚 𝒃𝒐𝒘. 𝑫𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒇𝒖𝒄𝒌 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒎𝒆." ...