Princess in Trouble (complet...

By carolynannaish

There is not just one princess in trouble in this Novella, but two. Both are in need of protection and only o... More

1 - Vondra
3 - Above the Frost Line
4 - The Baby's Father
5 - The Search Widens
6 - Captured
7 - Tutela - Safeguard
8 - Two Princesses Bathe
9 - Invaders
10 - The City of Tutela
11 - War at the Western Wall
12 - Shock
13 - Tears
14 - The Introduction
15 - The King, the Queen and the Prince
16 - A Conspiracy
17 - Celebrations
18 - Vondra and Sharzor

2 - A Baby Condemned to Die

59 6 1
By carolynannaish

Vondra trod the last steps into the center of a small village nestled in a valley. She dropped the bundle, replenished her flask from the well, sipped enough to feel hydrated and slid down the stone-wall to rest in its shadow from the afternoon sun.

She realized she had travelled non-stop for hours today, more than other days, having avoided a huge kingdom set high in the mountains. Having no idea as to the name of the kingdom and not caring but thinking, Even if this is not a place that will keep me hidden in plain sight, I feel I've arrived. I'm done. Perhaps this little village is the place. I won't go to the large city in the mountains but live here... perhaps?

Reminding herself of another of her grandmother's mantra's she told herself, 'Live one day at a time, for this time, this moment, today, is all you have to live right now.'

Physically exhausted as well as in spirit and soul, she slept the deepest sleep she had ever known. That it had only been a little over an hour was a big surprise. She closed her eyes again.

The sun had slipped far out of sight when she woke to the sound of horses arriving on the other side of the wall. She waited.

A door-knocker hammered and Vondra heard the sound of the door opening. The man asked, "I want to see a mid-wife, one who will run an errand for me in the night, tonight." He waited.

A female voice spoke, "Yes, Sir? I's not a fully qualified mid-wife but I's brought a few into this world when Jendie wasn't available. Wot's it worth?"

The sound of a money bag came to Vondra's ears. He asked, "Have you ever had to send any younglings on in the case of them being deformed?"

"Yes, Sir," the young woman answered with enthusiasm. "I's had to deal with them that have marks too, those who are cursed, to make it safe for us alive. I takes them, feeds them so they don't cry and then carry them up beyond the frost line on the northern hill I do. Little fellas don't feel a thing."

As the man spoke, he drew a bundle from beneath his cloak. Cries like those of a baby sounded, growing louder and more urgent. "Here. It don't have marks but it be really cursed. Take it, feed it so it won't cry like you said then carry it beyond that frost line on the northern hill and leave it there —here, and this be all for you." Coins clinked as in a money-bag. "We've not been here... you did not see me." He must have turned away, then back, warning, "If that child is found alive, and we will know, there will be nowhere on this earth where you can hide. 'Twill be men from the king, like I, who will find you!"

The door closed and the man strode away. Hoof-beats sounded, accelerating. Vondra stood and looked over the wall and saw the silhouette of the man on the horse disappearing over the rise of the narrow clay lane.

Vondra saw another man tether his horse and pull a food bag from the back of the saddle. Taking a wine flask from the bag, he walked around the side of the inn, disappearing from Vonda's view.

Vondra shivered, not from cold, it wasn't cold here yet, but it would be on that northern hill. A baby had been condemned to die tonight, and Vondra wondered what she could do, if anything, to save it. She slid down to sit and ponder.

Is it a girl, or a boy?—Or, does it matter? It's a child, a human, sentenced to die without a chance at life. At least, I have had a chance, I still have chances, and choices. What can I do about this? Should I do anything?

What does a king have to do with the babe? Perhaps he's like my father and can have babies, children and adults destroyed at will.

The only thing that came to her mind was, I can pray for this babe. God will take care of him or her. He's helped me so far. God, please help that little bairn... but... should I help?

Doubts flooded her mind.

She should walk way quickly and search for a farmlet where there were both a farmer, a wife and perhaps even a family. She had read, sometimes two or more families would live together on one farming settlement. But, would they accept her or not?

A previously unknown feeling flooded Vondra and her head felt like it would explode. Standing, she scolded herself, with words her grandmother would say... What are you thinking, Vondra, Marie, Eugenie, Roseanne, Isabel, Faith— Get yourself ready to save that child! Don't just sit here but get yourself going... Then her grandfather seemed to join...  Be the woman, the weapon and the warrior or I will Weep

And a thought from her grandmother again... Bad people win if good people do nothing.

Striding to the inn and finding the front door unlocked, she entered into its dimness. She waited, hoping the innkeeper would come.

A slim form pushed past her, wearing a hooded cloak and carrying a lantern. The small bundle in one of her arms wasn't making a sound and Vondra wondered if it were still alive.

Turning, the young woman called, "I'll be about an hour, Bert, so keep the door unlocked for me."

"Just knock four times and I'll know it's you, Gigi," the man replied.

I have to save that baby. Do I snatch it from that Gigi woman, or what? If I snatch it, I'll likely have the whole town after me not to even think about that man out there. Perhaps he was left here to make sure the job is done? Shall I buy the babe?— No, the man will see me or hear me. What? Should I go up the mountain myself and bring it back? But I can't go until the man is gone.

"And what might you be wanting here at this time'a night?" The innkeeper demanded, adding, "I didn't see you enter here. On your own, is ye?"

"I, yes, I've travelled far and I want to pay for a, a private room for the night, Sir," Vondra answered, bobbing a short curtsy.

"Show y' coins first," he demanded.

"First, Sir, I'd like for something hot, like sweet mead to sustain me, very sweet please, use honey —and I'll pay for the room," she said.

"Seat y'self over there at one of them tables and I'll bring ye a jug and you can show me your coins."

The inn was quite well lit and Vondra sat as far away from any light as she could. Placing her bundle bag on the bare wooden top of the table, she drew out a small sheath containing a very sharp dagger. Reaching to a seam in her cloak, she felt along the thickness for a coin the size of a silver ducat and slit a hole big enough to draw it out. The silver coins were sewn individually into the seam with all around stitching. It would be enough to pay for at least one night, she hoped. A gold coin would likely be too much.

I've no idea, she chastened herself and almost laughed at the thought that she knew nothing of what a jug of mead was worth. In fact, she'd never had mead before, just asked about it while gaining knowledge about life outside of a palace. She had not learned enough of this outside world, this was obvious to her.

Bert arrived with the jug of mead, placing it in front of her. Vondra felt flawed. It was indeed a jug! No small eye glass this, not even what she had seen of a mug! Looking up into his bulging eyes she smiled and asked, "How much does it cost?"

"Two tad."

Vondra had no idea what 'tad' was; it was plural, so two of them. "I have coins in my bag," she said, reaching and feeling around for the small money bag. Undoing the tie, she pulled out two copper coins and offered them, in her palm, to the innkeeper. Remembering Gigi's accent, she determined she would use some of it.

Taking them, he stared at the coins, saying, "Well then, thank ye! There be enough for ye night here and for the mead too and if ye want food tomorrow and another night, well, this'm more than enough. Oh and if ye leave afore the week be up, I'll give ye some tad in change. I'll show ye room to ye when ye've had ye mead." Grinning at her, he closed his palm and turned to walk away.

"Sir, please wait. My cousin be havin' a baby tonight, or even maybe t'morrow so I just need to let her know I'm here if she needs me, like announce myself and I haven't been there yet. Due to her plight, I didn't want to be a burden, you know, Sir, so I want to go over there before I come back to sleep in the room. So will you let me in when I return?"

"How long be ye?"

"Oh, I'm not sure, Sir, but Sir, I'll be generous if you mind not about me being late back, Sir."

Nodding, he stepped closer, saying softly, "When ye do return like, knock five times, and I'll know it's ye."

"Thank ye Sir, you're so obliging."

Sipping the mead, Vondra could not believe just how sustaining it tasted. The honey was there in plenty and some kind of alcohol; it was tart too, a vinegar taste but not sour; some kind of spice, maybe more than one. Ginger? Nutmeg? Vondra drank deeply before knowing she would need to visit a latrine. Any kind of chamber would be better than the visits she'd experienced in the wild.

In less than five minutes, she was outside the inn, in time to see the man mounting his horse and heading for the hillside, the way Gigi had gone. She wondered why he would follow her... perhaps it was to make sure she carried out her purpose. She would follow him, but from afar. Ahead, up on a hillside, she saw a moving lantern. Gigi.

It dawned on her that this was going like clockwork. Nothing had gone wrong, not yet. She waited. Would the man on horseback follow, or not?

She waited and prayed with her eyes wide open... I have no one else, God, and if my prayer thoughts to you fail, then that babe is lost as I will be. Keep me safe from that man. Tell me whether and when to follow or not.

Please, keep me safe.  I do feel like I'm doing something for you, something you approve of.  Grandmother would approve too, and who knows?— Being a young mother and hiding in plain sight might just be the thing that will keep me safe. This must go well for you and the babe, as well as for me, God. I thank you.

Little did she know...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6M 169K 57
"Mooooorrrrrrrreeeeeeee, this book is like air, i need it!" @noromance101 "These chapters are written BEAUTIFULLY! You are, without a doubt, my fav...
79.2K 3.8K 28
(Unwanted Series#4) (Sequel to HSB & HAB) -"She has my heart. Its all up to her either cherish it or throw it."- - - - "Sha-Shai-Shaizum.. Shaizum...
1K 22 19
Ironically the one time Brielle tries to commit to a man for the long haul, he both cheats on her, rips open a terribly deep emotional wound and leav...
765 20 13
"Leave me,I don't love you, I don't even like you. You and I are different. Look, think practically, I have my plans, my own freedom, my own way. So...