The Price of Pride

By nickym96

Events leading up to and following the tragic beach dinner date (episodes 39-41) still haunt both Emir and Re... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41

Chapter 24

450 19 1
By nickym96

"Emine anne? Can we talk?"

After his last conversation with Cavidan, he realized something needs to be done about his mother. Reyhan must be protected at all costs. So bringing her pseudo adopted parents up to speed is a no brainer. They will have her back if there's ever a time he can't.

"Emir, Oğlum. Come in," she offers, giving him a huge smile. "How's your father doing?"

"The same," he says with a sigh, unable to hide his sadness. He falls into her arms when she offers a hug, feeling a twinge of guilt at the way she treats him. She treats him like he's really her son. Reyhan has never received this kind of love from his mother.

"He'll be fine. We'll make sure of it," Emine says. "Just let us know if there's ever anything you need from us and it's yours. You know that, don't you? You're our son too, as much as Reyhan is our daughter. As much as our own natural sons. So Hikmet is our family now."

"Thank you," he nods. "We may be looking into sending him to a clinic. He hasn't gotten any worse, but he also isn't getting any better at home. A clinic may be better for him."

"But that's not what you want to talk about," Emine guesses.

"My mother is out of control," he spits out before he loses his nerve. "She has it out for Reyhan and nothing I say or do seems to be able to stop her. She's trying to publicly disgrace Reyhan to force her to leave me to protect my career."

"Ah. So that's her game." Emine takes a moment to think about what Emir just told her. She can't say she's surprised that Cavidan has some sort of plan. But this is more ambitious than Emine could have imagined.

"I mean, I talked to Reyhan on the way home. So at least she'll be on the lookout for my mother or Cemre trying to trick her. And hopefully she won't believe anything they say to her. And hopefully she knows that I would gladly leave the company before I let her leave me. She's far more important to me than the holding. But what about what they're saying about her? What about them purposely spreading lies and rumors that will hurt her?"

"You let me worry about that. No one is going to hurt my child. And you know Murat won't let your holding suffer. The only thing for you and Reyhan to do is to stay patient. Your mother will get what's coming to her."

Patience is not what he's known for. Not when it comes to Reyhan and keeping her healthy. Happy. Certainly not when it comes to his children. But he'll be patient for now. For now, he'll let his mother believe she's getting away with her latest game. But if anything happens to Reyhan, then all bets are off. If any of this touches Ayla or the baby, his mother will regret the day she gave birth to him.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Finishing his conversation with Emine, he seeks out his wife. The past week or so has been stressful for Reyhan. Stressful for them both. But she's pregnant and has the extra hormones. So he knows this has been extra hard on her. He's never been more grateful for Emine and Murat. They've been better for Reyhan than Emir ever imagined. He knows Reyhan loves him. And he loves her with everything in him. But he wasn't enough for her. He doesn't think she realizes how complete she has become from having loving parents support her. Yes, they would have been perfectly happy if it was just the two of them. But each addition to their family has increased their happiness exponentially. First Ayla. Then Emine and Murat. Zafer, Defne, and baby Daniel. Reyhan is truly and well loved. And he couldn't be happier for her. She deserves it all.

He smiles when she stretches herself awake from her nap. When they got back from visiting his dad, he sent her straight to bed. Seeing how comfortable she is makes him wish he had joined her. But it's time for her to get up. She needs to eat.

"Wake up, Sleepyhead," he whispers, leaning down to kiss her. First her lips, then her belly. "Did you have a good nap."

"Great," she smiles, blinking sleepy eyes at him. "I wish you had joined me, though."

"I can join you now," he says, kicking off his shoes and climbing onto the bed next to her. Food can wait. He pulls her into his arms and lets out a contented sigh. He loves holding her like this.

"I had a good dream," she tells him, looking up at him with that special way she has. The way that always makes him lose his mind a little with wanting her. "Do you want to guess what it was about?"

He lifts his eyebrow when he feels her hand slide under his shirt and begin to roam his chest. He's starting to get a very good idea of what she was dreaming about. He responds by pulling her even closer so that she can feel his reaction to her. Yes, food can definitely wait.

"How about I make that dream come true," he growls, taking her waiting mouth with his own. Losing himself in her and making her melt from the fire in his kiss. Suddenly, all the problems weighing so heavily on his mind disappear as he continues to sink into her warm embrace. This woman is life to him. He doesn't know how he ever existed before her. Or how he would survive without her. He just has to make sure that never happens. Even if it means stopping his own mother.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

When they get to the house the next morning to see his father, Emir realizes it's one of the last places he wants to be. It's definitely one of the last places he wants Reyhan to be. Until he can figure out what to do about his mother, the best option seems to just keep Reyhan away from her. But he can't keep Reyhan away from his father. That means he needs to get his father moved as soon as he can. Kemal and the doctor he knows, Narin, will be meeting them here later to discuss the move. Today might be one of the last days Reyhan has to deal with his mother. A fact that should bring relief. But for some reason, he feels like walking into this house today will only bring disaster.

"Come on," she says, gently tugging at his hand. "I'm suddenly starving and I can practically taste one of Melike Abla's omelettes. Do you think she'll make me one?"

He just smiles, amused at her appetite. She's always hungry and he loves it. He loves feeding her and watching her eat, knowing his child is being nourished. He loves the way her cheeks are becoming fuller, her belly a little rounder. He loves everything about her ever changing body.

She, on the hand, wasn't as happy this morning. She woke him with a shower of bras landing on his head.

"None of these fit anymore," she said, her bottom lip quivering as she bravely tried to hold back her unshed tears.

"No, I don't see how they would fit," he said, his eyes drifting to the breasts that have been causing him more distraction than usual for months now, even before they realized she was pregnant. That should have been their first clue about the baby.

"Pervert," she tossed at him. But he soon had her giggling when he pulled her down onto the bed and rolled on top of her, burying his face in her neck. "Your beard tickles."

Her laughs soon turned to gasps and moans as his mouth travelled down to show her how much he appreciated those very breasts that offended her.

"We're going to be late," she said, offering a weak protest. But she soon became as lost in him as he already was in her.

But she was right. They did end up being late. Which is why she's hungry now since they only had time to grab something quick on the way out. And why they go straight to the kitchen now.

"Emir! Reyhan!" Melike greets, happy to see them as always.

"My wife is craving one of your omelettes, Melike Abla."

"Emir!" Reyhan blushes in embarrassment and glares at him. But then when her stomach growls, she can't refute what he's saying. But she's even more embarrassed. "You don't have to go through any trouble, Melike Abla."

"Is our baby hungry?" Melike asks with a knowing smile, gently rubbing Reyhan's belly. "Of course I'll get you whatever you want, Kızım."

"We'll be in the office," Emir says, taking Reyhan's hand and pulling her out the kitchen. "My uncle and the doctor will be here soon. Then we'll be with my father."

They meet Cemre on their way out and Emir practically snarls at the sight of her.

"And Melike Abla?" he says, staring straight at Cemre. "Make sure my wife and I are not disturbed."

"Of course, Oğlum."

They continue past Cemre, not even looking back at her. Not even speaking to her. Cemre is filled with rage.

"Did you need something, Cemre?" Melike asks when she notices the girl.

Cemre just lets out a frustrated huff and leaves the kitchen. She goes back to the table by the pool where she had been having breakfast with Cavidan.

"Emir and that woman are here," Cemre spits out, pushing aside her empty coffee cup. That's the reason she had gone into the kitchen... for a refill. But she got angry and distracted seeing Emir with Reyhan. He was holding her hand today and giving instructions not to disturb them. Whatever that means.

"Calm down, Cemre. They're here almost every day," Cavidan explains. "They come to see Hikmet. You know that."

"Seeing them together makes me sick. Why her? When is it going to be me?"

Cavidan hides her reaction behind a sip of her coffee. This girl is crazier than she thought. Marrying Emir is one thing. To serve her purposes, Cavidan will help Cemre achieve that goal. But she didn't realize Cemre had such unrealistic expectations. Like for Emir to actually love her. Or want to be with her. Even Cavidan can see that for whatever reasons, he seems to love Reyhan for now. But if Cavidan has her way, that love will be over soon.

"Just be patient, Cemre. Remember our plan. This girl will be gone soon. We already have something in the works to disgrace her," she reminds Cemre. "But we also have that other matter to work on. I keep losing out on chances to get to Emine Yilmaz. Being aligned with her would send me to the top of the social tier here in Istanbul. But how do we get to her?"

"I heard she's taken a select few under her wings, so to speak. They seem to be next in line to be the "darlings" of society. I don't know who they are yet. But we need to get on their good side. Maybe they can be our way to get to Emine hanım."

"Cemre! You're brilliant!" Cavidan says, amazed the girl has been able to come up with a logical suggestion. "Now get on your little social media thing and find out who these women are. I'll invite them here immediately."

Cemre scrolls through Instagram for a few minutes before her eyes light up in delight.

"That may not be necessary. I found one potential."

She turns around the phone so Cavidan can see.

"Her name is Narin. She's a doctor and ... what?" Cemre asks, confused at the sudden smile that comes to Cavidan's face.

"And she's on her way here as we speak," Cavidan explains. "She's the doctor that will be coming with Kemal to look at Hikmet."

This will be easier than she thought.

"Nigar!" she calls out, waiting for the harried maid to show up. "Have everyone stop what they're doing. We're having a special guest today and I want everything to be perfect."

She'll impress this woman and be that much closer to getting to Emine Yilmaz. But first she has to figure out a way to keep Reyhan out of sight. An idea comes to mind and she can't hide her smile.

"What are you thinking?" Cemre asks.

"How would you like to play Emir's wife for the day? While also cooling down Reyhan's passions at the same time?"

"Anlamadım." Cemre stares incomprehensibly at her, not understanding what she's implying.

"Don't worry, Cemre. You'll understand soon enough," Cavidan says silently. Once Cavidan is done with Reyhan, she will know how truly inconsequential she is. She'll be that much closer to getting out of their lives once and for all.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"How long do you think we can hide out in here?" Emir presses a kiss to that one spot on her neck that always makes her melt. This time is no exception. He smiles against her skin when she becomes boneless against him.

"Emir," she says, half in a moan, half in a groan. "Kemal Abi and his doctor will be here soon. So we can't exactly stay in here all day."

She half heartedly tries to push him away. But the more he touches her, the less she can resist him.

"Come on, Emir. We only came in here to have breakfast. But we finished eating long ago. We need to go."

But her hand goes up to his head and tangles through his thick hair as she holds him to her, still unwilling to let him go. A knock at the door makes the choice for both of them.

"Oh well, I guess playtime is over," he says, winking mischievously at her. He scoots her off his lap and sets her on the couch next to him before getting up to answer the door. He only opens it partially to give Reyhan a chance to straighten up her clothes and hair behind him.

Melike is at the door, looking apologetic.

"Do you have an estimated time of arrival for your guests? Your mother wants to serve refreshments."

"They should be here soon, Melike Abla," Emir says, frowning when Reyhan comes up behind him and pushes past him to go out the door. "Where are you going?"

"To help Melike Abla in the kitchen and be a good hostess," she tells him, swatting away his hand with a laugh when he tries to hold her back. He does manage to sneak in a kiss to her cheek, which causes her to blush. Then scowl most adorably at him.

He just laughs.

"I'll call Amca to see when they're getting here," Emir offers playfully. "Don't let my beloved work too hard, Melike Abla."

Reyhan blushes again.

"He's so terribly wicked," she says to Melike as they head into the kitchen. But she still has a small, secret smile on her face.

"Ahh, there you two are," Cavidan says when the two women reach the kitchen. "Here is a list of what I'd like served for the doctor. Will this be a problem?"

"Of course not," Melike says, looking over the list. "But I may need to go to the store or check the walk in freezer for some of the ingredients. We don't usually keep them on hand."

"I'll go down and check in the freezer," Reyhan offers. "You get started on some of the other things and I'll be right back."

Cavidan hides her smile. "Right back" is an optimistic estimation. No. Reyhan will be out of the way for a little bit longer than that. She just doesn't realize it yet.

"Now that I think of it, that dish may not be a good idea," Cavidan says after Reyhan is gone and out of earshot. She points to something else on the list. "I'd much rather this one. I need you to have Sefer take you to the store because we definitely won't have the ingredients. It'll be faster if you go since you know exactly what to look for. Go ahead now. I'll let Reyhan know when she gets back up here from the freezer."

After Melike and Sefer leave, Cavidan heads back to her usual spot in the living room. When Cemre shows up a few minutes later, a triumphant smile on her face, she knows the job got done. Reyhan won't be bothering them anymore today.

"Just in time," Cavidan says when the doorbell rings. "Time to go greet our guests, Cemre."

Nigar opens the door and leads them into the room with Cavidan and Cemre.

Cavidan warmly greets Narin while practically scowling at Kemal. The two don't even pretend to like each other. Emir comes out a minute later and also greets the guests.

"Where's Reyhan?" Emir asks, looking around for her when Nigar brings out a tray of tea. He waves the woman off. They plan on going directly back to see his father so tea isn't necessary at the moment. But he's curious to know where Reyhan is. She had wanted to be present when Narin examined his father.

"Not sure," Cavidan says, putting on a fake confused look. "Melike needed to go to the store. Maybe Reyhan went with her. No matter. Cemre can go back with you. Cemre?"

She motions for the girl to escort everyone back to Hikmet. Cemre tucks her hand into the crook of Emir's arm and signals the others to precede them. Emir immediately pulls away and slides her a dirty look when the others walk ahead.

"What are you doing?" he asks, continuing to eye her suspiciously. He keeps his voice low to avoid his uncle and the doctor overhearing.

"What you wife should be doing," Cemre whispers back. "But she apparently didn't deem this an important enough task."

"Watch it," he warns her, before pulling out his phone to call Reyhan. When she doesn't answer, he decides to try calling Melike. Cemre stops him.

"Emir, focus on your father. And respect the doctor's time. Don't make her wait around just because your wife didn't see fit to show up for you."

He scowls at her again, but realizes she's right. He puts his phone back into his pocket. He'll let the doctor get started on the exam and then try to call Reyhan again later.

"Let's get started," he says when they all get to the room.

"I'll bring that tea now," Cemre says brightly. "Doctor, just let me know if there's anything else you'd like."

Narin gives her a tight smile before getting distracted by something over Cemre's shoulder.

"That won't be necessary."

Cemre's heart drops when she hears the voice behind her. She turns around with wide, shock filled eyes to stare at Reyhan standing in the doorway. Reyhan's knowing eyes stare right back at her.

"You made it," Emir says with a huge smile, moving to take her hand and pull her into the room.

"I apologize for being a bit late. But I've been making arrangements to have a light brunch set up in Emir's office for when we're done here." She turns to look at Cemre. "So don't worry about the tea, Cemre. I've handled everything. I'm sure there are other things you could be doing. We don't need you in here anymore."

The dismissal makes Cemre livid. Even more so when the previously reticent Narin is so open and warm meeting Reyhan. The woman had only given Cemre a tepid handshake.

"I've heard a lot about you, Reyhan," Narin says. "Kemal speaks so highly of his nephew and the beautiful young woman he married. These Tarhun men seem to adore you."

"She's a keeper," Emir jokes, wrapping his arm around Reyhan. But he can't resist dropping a kiss on her forehead, showing how much he really does adore her.

Cemre gives them all her meanest scowl, but realizes she's no longer even visible to them. They've already forgotten all about her. And all because of this stupid hillbilly who has taken Emir from her. She turns and storms out the room, stomping out to Cavidan.

"Cemre, dear. How are things going in there?"

"My presence is no longer required," Cemre pouts. "She showed up."

"Who? Reyhan? How? I thought you locked her in the freezer."

"I don't know!" Cemre yells. "Someone must have let her out."

"I let her out."

Both women look over to see that the words have come from Suna. Cavidan frowns at her daughter. Shock and surprise are quickly followed by disbelief and disappointment. How could her own daughter have betrayed her like this?

"I heard you two plan this whole thing earlier today. I thought you were joking ... until I saw Cemre push Reyhan into the freezer and lock it, taunting her through the window. Why would you two even do anything like this?" Suna scolds them. "What is wrong with you?"

"Suna, it's not what you think," Cavidan tries to explain, but sees that stubborn look on Suna's face and realizes there's no way to convince the girl of her lies.

"You're saying I got it all wrong? You're saying that I didn't see all of this craziness happen with my own eyes?" Suna asks, anger burning in her eyes. "I bet my brother will believe me. And then you'll have to answer to him."

Cavidan can't let that happen. She gives Cemre a look and for once, the girl seems to understand her silent clues.

"Suna, Canım. This has gotten out of hand," Cemre says, walking to her. She takes the back of the wheelchair in hand and pushes Suna towards the door. "Let's go out for some air and calm down. Then when we get back, we can try to talk about this again."

Cavidan waits until they're gone before picking up her phone and reluctantly placing a call.

"Doctor? Cavidan Tarhun here. It's about Suna. What I feared would happen has happened. She's completely lost touch with reality. Is the option to have her admitted still available?"

It's going to be a long time before Suna comes back through those doors. It may be extreme, but this is the only way. Cavidan has to be sure that Suna won't be telling Emir anything.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Fallible By UmmSalmaan

General Fiction

4.2K 602 21
She didn't know she had it for him this bad until Umaymah told her he will be travelling out. It wasn't like she was going to see him often anymore...
823K 35.8K 52
{Book One: Abdallah series} "I'm sorry jawad" I stammered feeling his warm breath fanning my face, and his dark eyes boring into mine, with hate evid...
4.7K 870 28
Yasmine is a star girl, with plans for the future, good grades and a boyfriend to top it up but how can she survive when her enemies are her family...
397K 20.3K 37
"𝘕𝘰, 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘥𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴. 𝘔𝘢𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘶𝘮𝘴𝘦 𝘱𝘺𝘢𝘢𝘳 𝘯𝘢𝘩𝘪 𝘬𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘪 𝘍𝘢𝘩𝘢𝘥. 𝘔𝘦𝘳𝘢𝘺 𝘥𝘪𝘭 𝘮𝘦𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘶𝘮𝘩𝘢𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘭𝘪𝘺𝘦...