Perfectly Wrong

By usedtojapan

After the recent death of her father, Camila is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger sister... More

1. Destination
2. Garden Gnome
3. You Belong With Me
4. Three Questions
5. Chocolate Milk
6. One For the Road
7. First Day
8. Writings On the Wall
9. Not Appropriate
10. Switching
11. It's Not Broken
12. We Didn't Know
13. Snowman
14. Eye Contact
15. Easy
16. I'll Wait For You
17. Who Hurt You
18. Make Up Your Mind
19. Misery Loves Company
20. Backwards Pizza
21. Late
22. He's Always There
24. I Know Why
25. She Needs Me
26. One-Thirty
27. How Long
28. Take a Shower
29. Lights Off
30. Points
31. Detention
32. Carving Pumpkins
33. Death
34. Basagna
35. Transitioning
36. I'm Taking You Home
37. Report To Administration
38. Weak Moment
39. Offensive
40. Let You Go
41. Emergency
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter: Parenting

23. Friends

803 88 12
By usedtojapan

When they enter the building of the club, Camila can’t help looking for Shawn in the crowd. Noah and Connor find them a table closer to the stage, a lot more exposed than the booth she sat in with Shawn the last time she was there. The 'sacrifice' had already performed and they were already in round one when Maisie walked to the judges table to pay for her performance.

 “ Camila, come to the bathroom with me.” Maisie says as she pulls Camila out of her chair.

 When they walk into the bathroom, Maisie backs her up against the sink and stands in front of her.

 “ Snap out of it, girl!” The blond says with her hands in Camila’s shoulders. “ We’re here to have fun.”

 Camila watches as her friend reaches for her makeup bag in her purse before meticulously fixing her makeup. No one has ever done Camila’s makeup beside her, but it feels nice to have a friend to do that for her. Maisie pulls a brush out of her purse and fixes Camila’s hair next, then steps back and smiles, admiring her work.

 “ There.” The blonde says, turning Camila to the mirror.

 Camila’s jaw drops to the floor when she looks at her reflection in the mirror. Her bangs are pulled into a french braid that hangs loose down her shoulder and the soft amber hue of eyeshadow brings out her chocolate eyes. Her lips are defined, but not too colorful, and she can’t deny the fact that she looks pretty.

 “ Wow.” Camila whispers, reaching for her hair with her hands. “ You have a gift, Maisie.”

 “ I know. Twenty-nine brothers and sisters in nine years, you’re bound to learn a few tricks.”

 Maisie pulls her out of the bathroom and they head back to their table, but as they approach their seats, Camila stops. The blonde stops too since she’s holding Camila’s hand, following her gaze to see Jake and Shawn at their table.

 “ Looks like we have company.” Maisie says, winking at her. She tries to pull Camila forward, but she doesn’t move.

 “ Maisie, it’s not like that.” Camila whispers. “ I don’t want you thinking it’s like that.”

 “ I don’t think anything, Camila.” Maisie says, turning back to look at her. “ But, if it really isn’t like that, it would explain the obvious tension between you two.”

 “ It’s only obvious to you.” Camila says.

 “ And that’s how it shall remain.” Her friend says, pulling her towards their table.

 When they reach the table all four pairs of eyes land on Camila and she feels like running away from that place.

 “ Damn, girl!” Jake says. “ You look good.”

 Connor glares at Jake before smiling at Camila.

 “ Maisie got hold of you, did she?” He wraps his arm around Maisie’s waist and pulls her to him, leaving Camila standing there by herself.

 Noah pulls a chair for her and she takes it, glancing up at Shawn just in time to see him give her a half smile. She knows what it means. He thinks she looks pretty.

 “ Alright, we’ve got four more performances for round one.” The guy at the stage says on the microphone. “Next goes by the name of Maisie. Where is she?”

 Maisie gives Connor a quick peck on the lips before reaching for his guitar that he brought for her to perform. She walks with confidence to the stage, smiling as they all take their seats and Camila ends up seated between Jake and Shawn.

 “ What are you performing?” The guy asks Maisie.

 “ Runaway.” Maisie says, leaning into the microphone.

 As soon as she’s left alone on the stage, Maisie loses her smile and goes into her zone. She starts softly playing the guitar and Camila can tell she’s not that good at it, probably still learning how to play. She smiles when her friend’s soft and gentle voice fills the room.

“I had a dream I was seven
Climbing my way in a tree
I saw a piece of heaven
Waiting, impatient, for me”

“And I was running far away
Would I run off the world someday?
Nobody knows, nobody knows
I was dancing in the rain
I felt alive and I can't complain”

“But now take me home
Take me home where I belong
I can't take it anymore”

I was painting a picture
The picture was a painting of you
And for a moment I thought you were here
But then again, it wasn't true”

And I was running far away
Would I run off the world someday
Nobody knows, nobody knows
And I was dancing in the rain
I felt alive and I can't complain”

“But now take me home
Take me home where I belong
I got no other place to go
Now take me home
Take me home where I belong”

“But I kept running for a soft place to fall
And I kept running for a soft place to fall”

 The crowd cheers Maisie as soon as she finishes and she eats it up, bouncing up and down and clapping along with people like she didn’t just perform such a calm and sad song. They all give her a standing ovation as she walks back to the table.

 “ That felt so awesome.” Maisie squeals as Connor wraps his arms around her and picks her up off the ground, kissing her cheek.

 “ That’s my girl.” He says as everyone takes their seats again.

 “ That was great, Maisie.” Shawn says. “ Guess you're free from the final exam.”

 “ That was so easy! Camila, you really need to do one next week.” The blonde says. “ You’ve never had one of Mr. Mendes’ final exams before. They are not fun, believe me.”

 “ I’ll think about it.” Camila says, thinking Maisie makes it seem so easy.

 “ You never had one of my final exams either, Maisie.” Shawn says with a laugh. “ I’ve only been teaching for two months.”

 “ Well, I’m sure they suck.” Maisie laughs.

 The room goes quiet when another performer is called to the stage and they watch in silence. Camila starts getting more and more uncomfortable each second as Jake’s leg keeps brushing against hers. She’s not sure what it is, but he gives her creepy vibes. She keeps trying to move away from him discreetly throughout the performance until she has nowhere to go anymore, but somehow he still manages to get closer to her. When she feels like she’s about to punch him, Shawn moves close to her and whispers in her ear for her to trade seats with him.

 Camila immediately stands up as Shawn takes her seat and she sits in his previous one. She sighs in relief, silently thanking him with a look. She can see Jake glaring at Shawn, making it obvious what she had already picked up since her first day at school: they clearly don’t like each other.

 By the start of second round, Camila notices everyone at their table dispersing into the crowd. She spots Noah at the bar talking with a girl and Jake is nowhere to be seen, leaving just her, Shawn, Maisie and Connor at the table.

 “ Mr. Mendes, did you see-”

 “ Connor.” Shawn interrupts him. “ You don’t have to call me ‘Mr. Mendes’ here. We went to high school together.”

 “ Can we call you…” Connor trails off with a mischievous grin on his face, which makes Maisie laugh.

 “ No! You can’t” Shawn quickly says, and Camila can see his face turning red.

 “ I’m missing something here.” Camila says, looking from Shawn to Connor.

 “ You see, Camila, about three years ago…” Connor starts, leaning forward on the table.

 “ Connor, I’ll fail you.” Shawn says. “ I’ll fail your girlfriend too.”

 The three of them are laughing, but Camila is still lost.

 “ Three years ago, Duckie here decided to start a prank war with the freshmen.” Connor says.

 “ Duckie?” Camila asks, looking at Shawn with his face buried in his hands.

 “ It became quite apparent that Shawn, I mean Duckie, was the one behind all the pranks. We suffered at the hands of this man.” Connor laughs, pointing at Shawn. “ So we decided we had enough and came up with a little plan, now known as Duckie’s revenge.”

 “ Dammit, Connor.” Shawn says. “ I knew it was you! I knew it.”

 “ Shawn was known for his daily naps in his car, particularly during history class, so we followed him to the parking lot one day and waited for him to fall asleep. We got about twenty five rolls of duct tape and wrapped him inside the car. There had to be around six layers of duct tape around his car when he woke up, screaming and kicking at the door.”

 “ Oh my god! How long were you in there?” Camila asks, without hesitating. She loves this type of interaction with him, even if they’re just friends.

 “ History class was second period and I wasn’t cut out of the car until my dad called the school trying to find me. I don’t remember what time it was, but it was dark.” Shawn tells her as they all laugh.

 “ You were in there almost twelve hours?” She asks in shock and he nods his head.

 “ How did you use the bathroom?” Maisie asks.

 “ I’ll never tell.” Shawn laughs.

 Camila laughs along with him, thinking she could get used to that. Interacting with him like they’re friends. She didn’t think it was possible before, but there it was.

 “ I don’t feel good.” Noah announces as he walks back to the table. “ Can we go?”

 “ How much did you eat, Noah?” Connor teases him as he stands up.

 “ See you tomorrow, Mr. Mendes.” Maisie says, looking at Camila before following her boyfriend.

 “ Just leave Sofia at my house tonight.” Shawn says when everyone is out of earshot. “ I’ll get her ready for school tomorrow. They’re probably asleep by now anyway.”

 “ You sure?” Camila asks.

 “ Yeah, it’s fine.” He confirms.

 “ Okay, thanks.”

 They both stand there for a moment, not knowing how to say their goodbyes.

 “ I’ll see you tomorrow, Camila.” Shawn says, getting out of her way as she smiles and catches up with Maisie.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.8K 842 10
Camila had something traumatic happening to her but she won't open up to anyone. She starts therapy and there she meets Shawn, someone that could fin...
25.5K 2.5K 32
Shawn's name is synonymous with death, so everyone tends to give him space. Everyone except Camila, a girl who starts showing up and won't go away, a...
130K 7.6K 67
After being brutally dumped by her boyfriend Camila decides to enlist the help of her best friends brother to teach her how to satisfy her next partn...
4.8K 604 11
How do you save someone that doesn't think they need to be saved? A Shawmila Story