What We Hope For (Sans X Read...

By Grace97721

Everyone has a happy ending. If you're not happy it's not the end . . . . ... More

1~ Home!?
2 ~ Mystery House
3 ~ !THE GREAT PAPYRUS!
4 ~ Looks Like We're Snowd-in
5 ~ Red and Purple Eyed Nightmares
6 ~ Echos of Waterfall
7 ~ The Matchmaker's Plan
8 ~ Missing Memories
9 ~ The Ultimate Slumber Party
Stems of Secrets
Robots and Otaku's
Do I Dare to Take a Risk?
Howdy!
Bad Flower, Mad Skeleton
No More Skipping Leg Day!
Cooking with a killer robot~☆
MTT Mall & Spa
♡Dating Start!♡
With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility
.Don't believe his lies.
Bio-Blue Gymnasium
Face Your Fear
The Tell-Tale Heart
All is Forgiven
Time is Relative
This is Halloween 🎃 Part 1
This is Halloween 🎃 Part 2
☆Movie night☆
Nice Cream
Introducing: Goat Mom!
Feast for kings
A battle so brutal
🧁Bake Sale🧁
♡Dating Tense!♡
Christmas Special 🎄 The MTT Late Night Show
Sheriff Who?
No More Lies
You're not drowning
Lovely Morning
The Story's Not Over Yet
A Promise To You
♡Dating Fight!♡
The Bake-Off
☆The Live show☆
Tea Time
The calm before...
Taken
Where are you?
HP : Diminishing
Groundhog Day
Hope
An Ending
A/n Afterword
Extra #1~How Sans and the reader met
Extra #2~Genocide AU
Extra #3~Q&A
Extra #4~ Sheriff Hiss' Past
!ANNOUNCEMENT!
Update A/N
SEQUEL IS OUT!
Secret project has now been published!

True Lab

1K 40 45
By Grace97721

"What are you doing here?" I ask Frisk. She was currently in the Laboratory helping herself to some instant noodles.

"Waiting for Alphys. What about you?"

"My prosthetic had a weird glitch recently. I was hoping Alphys could trouble shoot it and see what's wrong." I crossed my arms.

"What was the glitch?" She asked, her mouth full of noodles.

"It shut down again, ended up Falling down the stairs this morning."

"Pfft!" She laughed. "Wait let me guess, Sans caught you."

"Not this time. He was still asleep." I rubbed my bruised shoulder.

It got awkwardly quiet. It's been a few weeks since the live show. Throughout that time, Frisk and I hadn't tried getting along better.

I mean what's the point. She is not sorry for what she did. So why should I forgive her.

"So have you seen Alphys?" I try to break the silence.

"No. Although she did leave a note on the ground." She pointed her fork back. A piece of paper lay on the floor next to the bathroom.

I went up to it and picked up the paper. It was a little hard to read. Her handwriting was a little sloppy. From what I could read it said, "Hey. Thanks for your help back there. You guys. . . Your support really means a lot to me. But. . . As difficult as it is to say this. . . You guys alone can't magically make my own problems go away. I want to be a better person. I don't want to be afraid anymore. And for that to happen, I have to be able to face my own mistakes. I'm going to start doing that now. I want to be clear. This isn't anyone else's problem but mine. But if you don't ever hear from me again. . . If you want to know "the truth" Enter the door to the north of this note. You all at least deserve to know what I did."

I looked north. There was only the door to the bathroom and the bathroom sign.

Frisk finished eating her noodles and threw the cup away. She came up my way and walked past me to the front of the bathroom door.

"Are you serious right now!? Wow you just can't wait to get into other people's personal matters, can you?"

"I am not going in uninvited, she said in the note that we can go." She sassed.

"Well if you read the note then you would know she doesn't want us getting involved. Unless something goes wrong." I snap back.

"Yes but she could be hurt. We should go make sure that she is okay right?" The sliding door opened, but it didn't lead to a bathroom it lead to a slightly ominous looking elevator. The light inside it unnecessarily flickered.

"C'mon y/n." Frisk encouraged. "Don't tell me you're scared of elevators." She teased.

"W-what no of course not."

"Then come on in. Nothing is gonna happen." She assured.

I sprinted inside and waited stiffly in the middle. "Yeah you're right I mean what are the chances of something going wrong anyway." I nervously joke.

She pressed a button and the elevator door closed. I felt a slight drop as the elevator moved down.

It was normal at first. I started to feel silly for being nervous of it. Then the elevator shook and creaked.

"Um Frisk! What's happening!?"

"Not sure." She looked around smugly.

The lights in the elevator turned red. It shook rougher and I felt a sinking feeling in my stomach.

We were falling.

I wasn't thinking as it happened. My instincts kicked in and I fled to the corner of the elevator. I gripped onto the side bars for dear life.

Words were said in a robotic tone through a speaker.

"WARNING! WARNING! ELEVATOR LOSING POWER! EM TETHER STABILITY LOST! ALTITUDE DROPPING!"

CRASH!!!!

A horrible wave of inertia struck me when the elevator hit the bottom. Somehow, none of my bones were brocken.

I looked up from my curled up position. It was dark. I couldn't see anything at all.

"Frisk! Are you there!? Are you okay!" I yell out.

"I am right here no need to yell!" She shouts back.

The elevator door opened and a stream of white light leaked through.

I could see Frisk, still standing in the middle. She looked completely calm as if nothing happened.

Or as if she knew what was going to happen.

I remember what Sans told me, about the resets. She knew what was going to happen all along.

"Do you need help? You seem to be glued to the corner there." Frisk chuckles.

"Don't worry. Give me a second." I took a deep breath and let go of the bar. I followed after Frisk.

The place was not what I expected. It was old, worn down, and dusty. The lighting in here was minimal. It made everything either gray, black or a dark turquoise. An old stench was in the air.

We walked forward. There was something off to this place. It felt melancholy.

A screen attached to a wall turned on when we past by it. Frisk continued walking forward. I on the other hand stayed behind and took the time to read it. They were entries. There was no date and no name, yet I could easily guess that this was typed by Alphys.

When I finished there was another next to it. Then another. Then another. And another.

They were about a task that she received from the king. She wanted to find a way to break the barrier through a different mean. Because they didn't have enough human souls, they planned to attempt experimenting with monster souls.

It was mentioned how difficult it would be to do that and the hallway ended with her saying she used blueprints to extract determination from human souls. It is what keeps our souls alive even after we die.

We walked farther through and ended in an intersection. The only catch was that there was only one way through.

Frisk went to a corner of the room and stared at something there. She reached out to it and then stepped back. It was odd. But I didn't question her. She then walked to the vending machine selling potato chips and bought a few. She offered me one and I took it.  Both of us took a seat on the ground and ate. They were stale but overall okay.

I checked my phone to see if we could call anyone. There wasn't any service but there was a text sent by Sans a few minutes before. I finally figured out how to change his name. I prefer this one much better. He on the other hand does not.

Sand : um has alphys figured out what is wrong?

I hoped that maybe a text might reach him. So I typed out "no I am still waiting for her" but when it was sent, the text was brocken.

You : jdis jsmm endicd ndk

Snas : 😃 ?

I tried again but it was worse.

You : dhkssgveksgevmcx jccdsz

Snas: uh hon??

I gave up so I wrote a whole bunch of gibberish myself. Somehow that convered to actual words. But it wasn't what I intended to write.

You : sorry was typing with my eyes.

Snas : lmao
Snas : sugarbean that's not a thing...

Before I could answer my phone died. Even though I was at 75%.

I saw a note on the ground this one was smudged and wet. I could only read "Elevator. . . Lost power. . . Enter the center door. . ."

The elevator must shut down very often if a note is left behind. The only problem was that the door we need to go into was locked. It appears we need four keys.

A laughing sound was heard from the left side. Frisk was nowhere in sight so I ran to where the sound was.

I saw her next to three sinks. Three weird creatures loomed above her as she dodged its projectiles.

I was a little horrified. They were melting almost as if they couldn't keep themselves together. They spoke gibberish.

That was until Frisk pulled out her phone. Their voices were heard through its speaker.

"Come join the fun."

They were about to attack again. I couldn't let that happen.

I ran up to her and pulled her back.

"Y/n what are doing! I have it under control."

"Under control!? Frisk this is dangerous!"

Attacks were sent our way. She forcefully pushed me away from her and dodged the attacks. I caught myself and did the same. None of us got hit.

She refused to join them. We had to dodge more attacks. And I immediately spared. They went away.

We both caught our breath and the bickering continued.

"Y/n you almost got yourself killed by doing that!"

"Me!? What about you! Your recklessness back there nearly got yourself killed!"

"I can take care of myself a lot better then you! You barely survived Flowey twice and he is like the easiest monster down here! You are weak! So why don't you continue to be that and not intervene in any more fights!" It got quiet after she said that. Her anger slowly changed to guilt.

I bit my lip. "I may not be strong when it comes to fighting. But that doesn't mean I am prepared to. I put myself in danger to protect the people I care for. A-and while you might not care about me. I still care about you. And I always will. No matter what you do."

She looked taken aback. "Please. . . don't involve yourself anymore. . . I . . . I can't die. . .but you can. And if you die. I will never hear the end of it." She spoke quietly. Frisk picked up a shining red key, placed it in a room where the corresponding keyhole is, and walked onwards.

I lagged behind for the rest. My excuse was too read the rest of the entries. I had to reread a couple of times because I would space out. It worked out though as it kept me busy while Frisk fended off more of the amalgamates.

I learned, they were once monsters  fused who together because they couldn't withhold the determination that was injected in them. That was what made them melt. And that was what Alphys was responsible for.

She didn't know it would, but that didn't stop her from blaming herself. I felt a connection with her past. That was probably because I understand what she is mentally going through. I didn't think any further from there.

I had read all of the screens in the area. Other than the entries, the only other interesting things I found was a strange yet mystical machine. It resembled the skull of an animal, and video tapes.

I didn't watch them. I was too scared to do so.

There was only one room we hadn't entered. Frisk pulled me with her for some reason. I realize why when we entered.

It was a narrow hallway. At the end of it was a bathtub with a curtain. A weird shadow danced behind it. There was an oddly creepy sound they emitted. Like a slowed down bark of a dog.

I wasn't sure whether Frisk dragged me with her because she was scared or wanted to scare me on purpose. I went with the latter.

I walked closer to it, the closer I got the louder and faster the sound became. The shadow danced faster too. I brought my hand out, gripped the curtain and quickly pulled it open.

There was nothing except a green key in the bath tub. I picked it up and threw it over to Frisk.

"Brat." I said.

She laughed and went to place the key. With the last key in, the door was completely lit up. It opened when we got close to it.

It led to another elevator. One with two doors. The second door was also open so we entered it first. There was two screens attached to the wall in that corridor. Both were turned off.

At the end was a room. The only thing that was in the room was the switch to turn back on the power. I pressed the button and the power for the elevator reset.

The sounds of the amalgamated crept up from behind. We turned around and saw four of them draw closer to us. I once again pushed Frisk behind. She didn't argue this time.

Before the amalgamates touched us a voice yelled. "Hey! Stop!!" It was Alphys.

The amalgamates looked at her. "I got you guy's some food okay!?" She frantically added.

They all walked out the room.

"S-sorry about that.  .  . They get kind of sassy when they don't get fed on time. I think they smelled the potatoes chips you two had, and. . . Anyway! The power went out and I've been trying to turn it back on! But it seems like you guys were one step ahead of me." She said nervously then looked down "This was probably just a big inconvenience for you. . ."

"B-but I appreciate that you both came here to back me up! As I said, I was afraid I might. . . Not come back. . . B-but that's not because of these guys or anything! I was just worried I would be too afraid. . . To tell the truth. . ."

"That I might run away,  or do something. . . Cowardly. . . . Uh. . . I. . . I suppose I owe you two an explanation. As you probably know, Asgore asked me to study the nature of souls. During my research I isolated a power called DETERMINATION. I injected it into dying monsters so their souls would last after death. But the experiment failed. You see unlike humans', monsters' bodies don't have enough. . . Physical matter to take those concentrations of DETERMINATION. Their bodies started to melt and lose what they physically had. Pretty soon, all of the test subjects had melted together into. . . Those. Seeing them like this, I knew. . . I couldn't tell their families about it. I couldn't tell anyone about it. No matter how much anyone was asking me. And I was too afraid to do any more work, knowing. . . Everything I'd done so far had been such a horrific failure."

"But now. . . Now I've changed my mind about all of this. I'm going to tell everyone what I've done. . . It's going to be hard. Being honest. . . Believing in myself. . . I'm sure their will be times when I'll struggle. I'm sure there will be times where I screw up again. But knowing, deep down, that I have friends to fall back on. . . I know it'll be a lot easier to stand on my own. Thank you. Both of you."

The amalgamates returned. "Come on, guys." She starts. "It's time for everyone to go home."

She was about to completely leave the room when I stopped her. "Wait Alphys!"

She turned back to me. "Y-yes?"

"Um... would you like to continue watching Mew Mew Kissy Cutie after?" I ask. Her eyes lit up and she smiled.

"Y-yes of course! That would be really great! I'll see you later!" She said gratefully. And with that she left. Frick and I followed to leave at our own pace.

When we left the room I noticed that the screens were now on. There was a red smile on them. "ENTRY NUMBER 8: I've chosen a candidate. I haven't told Asgore yet, because I want to surprise him with it. . . In the center of his garden, there is something special. The first gold flower, that grew before all the others. The flower from the outside world. It appeared just before the queen left. I wonder. . . What happens when something without a soul gains the will to live?"

The screen next to it said, "ENTRY NUMBER 18: The flower's gone."

A golden flower that was given determination and gained the will to live and move.

Flowey. . .

Alphys created Flowey. . .

And yet I feel there is more to the story.

Everything is linking back to one person, king Asgore. I feel like it is time for me finally meet him too.

While we rode the elevator back up, a plan formed in my head. One that I wanted to complete within the following days. Sadly I can't tell anyone about it. If Sans or some else found it they would surely be against it. They all want to keep me away from the king for good reasons, but I've done enough hiding.

When we left the elevator, We walked back to Snowdin town. Only then did I gained an interesting thought.

Wait . . . Where was ENTRY 17???

-------- time skip

"what happened to you two!?" Sans asked when we entered the house. Papyrus peaked his head from the kitchen. "and what was up with those texts sugarbean?" He laughed.

"Y/N! WHY ARE YOU TWO COVERED IN DIRT?"

"I don't know. Why don't you ask  Frisk." I cross my arms at her.

"Hey it's not my fault that elevator crashed!"

"WHAT!?" The brothers yelled at the same time.

"You said that out of context on purpose didn't you."

"Eh it's fun to rile them up." She grins.

Her phone rang. "Oh that's Toriel. I should get going. Bye!!" She walked out and I was left behind with two very concerned skeletons.

I waited until news spread from Alphys first. Then I told them about my experience in the secret lab. Sans told me later that he already new about the lab, he used to work there. He asked me a few detailed questions. Perhaps to know how much it has changed.

After everything, Alphys. Undyne and I got together to watch Mew Mew Kissy Cutie. I must confess I felt like the third wheel. Alphys helped me fix the weird glitch too. She said it was because I had been overworking myself the weeks prior.

Before I went to bed I received a text message from Frisk.

Frisk : I know I didn't get to say this before but, I also care about you too. A lot more than I might show. I guess. . . I just don't know how to express it. . . I will try to be better. Because to me you are like my older sister. And while sisters may fight, they are always there for eachother.

Frisk : I also wanted to say I am sorry. For looking in you diary and calling you weak. It probably doesn't sound as sincere through text but I mean it from the bottom of my heart.

I smiled and sent a message.

You : I forgive you

_______________________________________

Another chapter done! And this time it is not last minute :). Who is ready for a tea party? Until next week!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.5K 131 16
(Y/n) was a normal person. Around 17 years old. They didn't believe in those stupid fairy-tales. One day, one of her friends decided to dare them to...
132 1 39
Fallen Under is a full-length fan-novel of the game 'Undertale' set in 'Underfell'. This work will not have anything sexually explicit, though there...
5.5K 176 11
DISCONTINUED (for now, at least) • • • You and your younger sister, Frisk, fell into a hole atop Mt. Ebott. You didn't realize the journey you just b...
18.6K 403 18
I take no credit for anything in my book. All rights are reserved to the original creaters of undertale. I also take no credit for the art work in m...