A Certain Divine Visionary

By RedBegonias

Academy City of Science and Technology. A city containing about 2.3 million citizens with 80% of that populat... More

Author's Notes
Prologue: The God-Slaying Sword
Academy City, the City of Science
The Aftermath
Investigation
A Visionary's First Day
System Scan
Mid-summer Festival
The Power to Soar
Crash Course
Shaei's Future
Ace of Tokiwadai
Ruiko's Resolve
Level Five
The Power to Conquer
The Sister
Divine Intervention
The Power of the Monado
Q&A + Suggestions!

Fog of War

52 2 0
By RedBegonias

A running track somewhere in Academy City, September 21, midday.

"I don't wanna keep running..."

An exasperated Touma barely catches up with Shulk, his shirt and hair soaked in sweat.

"We still have about five laps left." Shulk looks to his side, as Touma tries his hardest to match Shulk's pace.

"Hey, man, I didn't expect to run under forty-degree weather..!"

"Forty degrees Fahrenheit is pretty cold. Are you sure you're okay?"

"YOU...KNOW I MEANT...CELCIUS!" Touma gasps between words. "Now...isn't the time...for jokes!"

"You're just gonna have to steel yourself. If you don't keep up, we lose to Tokiwadai."

"At this point..." Touma looks ahead of himself to see an energized Misaka, dashing around the track. "...Tokiwadai can stay a champ if they want."

Out of nowhere, a blast of energy explodes at Touma's feet.

"Eep!" he squeals, leaping forward. His exhausted jog turns to a fear-driven dash, while Shulk simply speeds up. The pair of runners turn to see a group of Tokiwadai girls standing over the boys' fallen comrades.

Touma looks around the track.

"Crap..! Are we the last ones up?"

"It looks like it." Shulk chuckles. "When they said endurance...I don't think we expected this."

Another blast nearly trips Touma.

"I HARDLY THINK OF THIS AS A JOKE!"

As the explosions follow behind, Touma flails around the track.

He darts left and right, but keeps madly running forward.

"I don't think I'm gonna make it, Shulk!"

Shulk looks to Touma.

"I will...be a distraction," Touma bawls. He stops in his tracks. "You go and win this thing for us!"

The Tokiwadai girls continue their chase but abruptly stop as Touma rapidly turns around and embraces his end. While Shulk runs away without losing a single breath, Touma is blasted to the heavens.

"MY DAMNED LUUUUccckk..."

Elsewhere on the track, Misaka sees Touma flying away.

Godspeed...she prays silently.

Right behind Misaka, Shulk runs in.

"How're you feeling now, Mikoto?"

Shulk jogs at Misaka's side, both reasonably fast.

The two pass over the finish line. Four laps left.

"Pretty good. I'm feeling energized and alive."

"Then I've got myself some competition!"

Shulk begins dashing forward.

Misaka smirks. "Oh no, you don't!"

Electricity surrounds Misaka as she follows close behind.

"You're pretty fast!" Misaka compliments. "How'd you train for stuff like this?"

The two pass the finish line again. Three laps left.

"I was always running back home. I could ask you the same! You caught up quick."

"I use electricity to stimulate the muscles and make myself stronger! It's an old trick I learned from a friend!" Misaka zooms ahead. "And I'll use it to beat you!"

The two pass the finish line a third time. Two laps left.

"I'm not quitting yet!" Shulk pulls out the Monado and activates a blue aura that courses through his feet. With his feet feeling lighter, he dashes ahead.

Misaka begins to fall behind once again but tries catching up.

The two pass the finish line. One lap left.

She sees the bright red and blue Monado, and a pain in her head starts to grow. Pain? No, it felt more like a pulsation. Her pace begins to die down, as Shulk rounds the track.

The PA box goes off.

"Oh, no! It looks like the Ace of Tokiwadai has begun to falter, leaving Sharaku to claim victory!"

Shulk passes the finish line but notices Misaka standing still.

"The winner of the endurance track is Kanzaki Sharaku, Ace of..."

Misaka's hearing is drowned out by a scream.

A bright blue light shines in her eyes.

"SHULK!"

Touma stands up, and Misaka reaches out.

The vision cuts to a dark, misty figure.

Shulk is launched back. Splashes of red splat onto the floor.

Her vision cuts to a view of large pools of blood. The Monado, which lays inactive, sits inside one of them.

A figure dashes to the Monado, picking it up.

"STOP! YOU'LL DIE!"

The figure is shocked by the Monado, but charges forward.

Only their battle cry can be heard.

The vision ends abruptly when Shulk grabs Misaka and lightly shakes her.

Misaka's eyes jolt open to see Shulk and Kuroko's faces blocking the sun's bright light. One of her hands moves and feels the ground on her back.

"Mikoto! Are you okay?"

Did...did I collapse?

Kuroko kneels next to Misaka, feeling Misaka's arm with the back of her hand. She then presses Misaka's fingernails. Inspecting the return to color, Kuroko speaks.

"It doesn't look like dehydration. It's not a heat stroke either." Kuroko looks to Shulk. "Shulk, do you know what happened?"

"I'm not sure, but is she fine?"

"Yeah. Nothing important enough to send her to the hospital. Just a few scratches."

"Alright. Go tell the teacher Mikoto's fine. I'll help her up."

"Whatever you say." Kuroko quickly teleports away.

Shulk holds his hand out to Misaka. "Here. Let's get you on your feet."

Misaka grabs Shulk's hand and gets pulled onto her feet.

"Thanks..." Misaka looks at the scratches on her hands. "What happened to me?"

"It looked like you collapsed and passed out. Kuroko and I rushed to your side. We had to tell people to stand back and leave."

"Yikes..."

Misaka looks to the Monado on Shulk's necklace.

Shulk notices Misaka's wandering eyes.

"You saw another vision, didn't you?"

"Wha—How'd you know?!"

"As I said before, I acted the same way you did back when I first used the Monado. Was it the same vision as before?"

"Yeah, but there was more. I could see everything more clearly."

"That means the vision's reality is getting closer."

Misaka looks downward.

Shulk notices a cleaning robot on the field.

"That's odd..."

"Hm?"

"It's nothing. Just one of the robots. You need some water?"

Shulk and Misaka walk over to the side of the bleachers.

Misaka sips some water from a fresh bottle. She zones out, but a sudden clank brings her back. Her attention is centered on a security robot.

"Mikoto?"

Misaka walks up to the roaming security robot. Though at a glance, it seems that the robot is wandering aimlessly, it seems driven in a set direction.

"It's...looking for something. Or someone."

"Well, they're only patrolling. It's probably nothing particular."

"Even so, why would it be looking back here?"

Shulk also approaches the robot. He opens one of the panels, leaving the robot's circuitry open. As he shuts the robot down, it lowers itself to the floor.

"That's strange. This one's responding to a signal that doesn't exist on the system's network. It shouldn't even be operating right now." Shulk pulls up an app on his phone. "This wavelength...I've seen it before, but where?"

The security robot suddenly awakes and attacks Shulk out of nowhere, despite being off. Shulk reacts by bouncing back.

Misaka kicks the robot, leaving it flailing on its side.

Shulk tries to analyze what triggered the security robot. "Was it...turned on manually through that signal? There's definitely something wrong here."

"Could it be what's in our vision?" Misaka asks.

"It very well could be," Shulk suggests. His face turns shocked as he remembers something. "No..."

Shulk's eyes glow blue.

A laser fires directly into Shulk, throwing him into the ground.

Shulk tackles Misaka to the ground, as the laser flies above them.

Misaka looks to the small explosion in the distance.

"A rogue esper?" Misaka asks.

A small, spider-like robot approaches Shulk and Misaka.

"It's a Mechon," Shulk informs evenly. The tiny thing emits a loud signal. "These types scout for enemies and summon backup."

A small group of Mechon approaches Shulk and Misaka, all varying in model and size.

"Do we destroy them?" Misaka asks rhetorically. A confident grin finds its way on her face as she grabs a coin and flips it.

Shulk answers by grabbing the Monado and activating its blade. He lunges forward and slices the small Mechon in two. "We don't have a choice."

Even without her gifted knife, Misaka takes down two Mechon with ease using her electricity. She shocks the other Mechon, stunning them.

A tall Mechon cuts at Misaka, who darts back.

Extending the Monado's blade, Shulk finishes the rest of the several Mechon in one fell swoop. The sound of metal collapsing prompts Shulk to scan for more. After confirming his and Misaka's safety, Shulk approaches the pile of scrap. "That can't be all of them."

"What makes you say that?"

"Mechon are tough, but they aren't invincible. They're only ever useful in large groups, bigger than this one." Inspecting the ruined spider Mechon, Shulk's theory is confirmed. "So, this Mechon was remotely controlling the security robot. It was using it to scout the area without looking suspicious."

"These robots are smart. You fought them in your world?"

"I have, but they were never this smart on their own. Without commands, they're just standing scrap."

"That means something or someone is controlling them."

"It's what seems to be going on," Shulk grabs his chin and closes his eyes to think. "As for our next course of action, our event for the day is over. Maybe we can investigate."

"That sounds good," Misaka picks up her water bottle. "But where would we look?"

Shulk thinks. "Maybe Uiharu has something that could help. She gave me that wavelength app on my phone, so she might have something else. Is she at an event right now?"

"I might know where she is. It's one-thirty in the afternoon, so that means she's probably done with her event, too. I'd bet right now she's at the food vendors with Saten."

"Alright then. Lead the way." With Misaka in the lead, the two leave the running track.

Touma, behind another bleacher, stands over other Mechon while holding his gifted sword. He looks at Shulk and Misaka leaving.

A food vendor street, somewhere in Academy City.

"C'mon, she's gotta be here somewhere..." Misaka scans the rows of food vendors for Uiharu's familiar face.

"She isn't here after all." Shulk and Misaka walk away from the vendors.

Shulk suddenly feels a sharp pain somewhere. He stumbles.

"Shulk!?"

Shulk slightly kneels.

"I'm fine..." he says, breathing deeply.

"I'd believe the sky was yellow if I believe what you're saying. You're not fine. What happened?"

"Something inside me. It felt like something tore open. But...I'm not injured. What happened..?"

"I don't feel good. Let's find Uiharu now."

Shulk feels a pulse of energy in the distance.

"This is..." Shulk looks up. "In the sky!"

The two see large Mechon carrier transports, carrying squadrons of inactive Mechon. Both slowly crawl out of a distinct orange rift in the sky.

Loud alarms can be heard in the distance, as well as multiple security robots moving into positions.

"Mechon! They're here!" Shulk yells.

The carriers begin dropping their payloads and the Mechon land on the ground.

"Shulk! What now?" Misaka asks quickly.

"We have to get these people out of here." Shulk puts on his Judgement armband. "And fast. There's no telling how smart these Mechon are, based on that other group."

"Roger!"

People begin running past Shulk and Misaka, running opposite to them. A group of Mechon stands in the way.

One person is almost attacked by a large Mechon, but Shulk jumps in and blocks the blow. He counterattacks and destroys the machine with a single cut. The person runs away, while Shulk and Misaka stand at the ready. Misaka pulls out her knife.

"Let's go!" Shulk activates a Monado art, channeling a purple aura into Misaka.

"What's this?" Misaka looks at the aura surrounding her.

"It'll let you damage the Mechon. Most conventional weapons can't normally hurt the Mechon because of their tough armor."

Misaka nods and brandishes the enchanted knife at the incoming enemies. "Ready when you are!"

The two rush to the Mechon and get to work.

Shulk dodges and weaves, delivering swift counterattacks. A cut topples a large Mechon, and Misaka stabs at the fallen Mechon. She uses a bolt of electricity to shut down another Mechon. Shulk sees a large shadow and looks up.

"It's a Fortress unit!"

"A what?"

"They're vulnerable from the bottom, but they also have powerful lasers that the Monado can't block. We need to close the gap now!"

A vision interrupts Shulk. The massive Mechon shoots a powerful laser, which destroys the street.

"Hurry!" Shulk and Misaka make a mad dash for the Mechon, but they are too far.

"We're not gonna make it, Shulk!" Misaka calls out.

The two stop in their tracks, and they brace for the attack. The laser fires, ready to destroy anything in its path.

A person pushes past and holds up their right hand.

In front of them, the laser is dissipated.

"You..!" Misaka gasps.

Shulk gives a confident smile. "Glad you made it, Touma."

The person turns around and puts his hand behind his head.

"It was nothing..." Touma gushes. He puts away the foldable sword.

"Is there anyone left?" Shulk asks.

Touma shakes his head. "They're all safe, I led them away from here."

"Then we'd better clear this place."

"Got it!"

Drawing their weapons, the party advances on the squad of Mechon that stands before them. Shulk activates the Monado and enchants everyone's weapons again.

Afterward...

Once again, the Mechon are turned to scrap metal.

"Is that all of them?" Misaka asks tiredly.

"It should be. Anyone else who's fighting the Mechon probably isn't having such an easy time like we did," Shulk notes. "We might have the Monado, but even Anti-Skill ordnance would barely beat a single Mechon."

"You're saying we're the only ones who can fight them?" Touma wonders.

"Not exactly. The city has something else that can help to fight the Mechon."

He thinks for a moment. "Espers?"

"That's right," Shulk confirms. "Attacks from espers are quite similar to certain elemental powers we use from our world. It might not completely wipe out Mechon, but it'll be able to do some damage."

"...Uiharu!" Misaka suddenly shouts.

Touma looks to Misaka. "What's wrong, Mikoto? A vision?"

"No, not that...It's just that we never saw Uiharu." Misaka looks around. "Touma?"

"Yep?"

"Did you see Uiharu when you were helping everyone escape?"

"If I did, I probably woulda said so. Sorry."

"It's just...She couldn't be thinking about fighting these things herself..." Misaka worries, looking to the ground.

Shulk reassures her distress. "Uiharu knows her limits. Even if she's in Judgement, I know she doesn't pick fights she can't win."

No response comes from Misaka except for more silence. The shadow of her head is covering her eyes. Touma walks up to her, in an attempt to comfort her.

"Hey, it's not like she's doomed. You didn't see a vision. Right, Miko—"

Misaka looks up to see Touma's face, a bit too close for comfort. After both of their faces light up with shades of pink, the two mutually back up, averting their eyes.

"Y-yeah, you're right," Misaka chuckles nervously. "Uiharu's probably fine."

Touma coughs into his fist. "Glad you agree..."

Shulk giggles on the side. "Here. I bet Kuroko knows where she is, I'll call her."

A voice from behind spooks the party. "There's no need to call me."

A figure stands on top of a streetlight. They softly leap from it and gracefully land on the ground.

"Kuroko!" Shulk walks up to Kuroko, who responds by lightly kicking Shulk in the shin. He pulls his leg up and starts bouncing around.

"What was that for?" Shulk demands.

"That was for deciding to engage in combat without my permission! Just because you could fight them, doesn't mean you should've!"

"But, Kuroko..!"

"No buts! Point is, I was worried about you guys," Kuroko explains smugly as she crosses her arms.

"Well, thanks," Shulk grins.

Misaka speaks up. "Hey, Kuroko?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you know where Uiharu is?"

"I was gonna ask you guys the same thing."

"Kuroko, what is that supposed to mean?" Shulk asks.

"She got a call from Saten, and ran off without me."

"Uiharu must've gone to look for Ruiko. We need to find them before something happens to them."

"I do agree, but where do we start?"

As if responding to Kuroko's question, a powerful pulse of energy erupts from behind. Everyone falters, but they catch themselves. The party turns around to see the orange rift pouring with smoke.

"That fog..." Shulk recalls.

Misaka observes the mysterious fog as well.

The two Level Fives' eyes start to glow blue, and they see a lab sign outside a building. An orange portal sits on a wall, inside a large room.

A large explosion occurs. The portal breaks through the roof and sits in the sky. Mechon carriers tread slowly through the rift.

Back in the room, some fog that seems to resemble a beast lets out a mighty roar.

Saten is knocked down, but Uiharu arrives. She uses herself as a shield.

The foggy thing glares with glowing orange eyes.

The monster attacks.

The vision ends. Misaka and Shulk look at each other.

"The lab..!" Misaka quietly says. Shock falls upon her face.

"We need to move. Now." Shulk begins running to the rift.

"Hey! What was all that about?" Kuroko tugs Shulk's shirt.

"It was a vision. Uiharu and Saten are in danger."

"What did Uiharu get herself into..?" Kuroko shakes her head. She then gazes at Shulk with a determined look. "I'm coming with you. You'll need someone to drag you back to the hospital."

"Whatever you say. You won't be able to teleport us to the lab right away, the Mechon'll just ambush us in the sky. We'll have to make it there on foot."

"Got it."

Everyone moves but Misaka. Shulk notices and turns around.

"Mikoto?"

Misaka's eyes glow blue again.

"SHULK!"

Touma stands up, and Misaka reaches out.

The vision cuts to a dark, misty figure.

Shulk is launched back. Blood spills onto the floor.

The vision cuts to a view of blood on the floor.

The blood pools sit next to the Monado, which lays inactive.

A figure dashes to the Monado, picking it up.

"STOP! YOU'LL DIE!"

The figure is shocked by the Monado but charges forward.

Only their battle cry can be heard.

Misaka's sight returns to normal.

"It's the same as before..."

"Mikoto!"

"Y-YEAH! I'M HERE!" Misaka shouts.

"Are you okay? Did you see something else?"

Misaka pauses to process the question. "It was the same vision I had before, at our event."

A moment of silence hangs over the two.

"...It's okay if you can't change that vision," Shulk says somberly. "I'll be fine. Don't be discouraged, Mikoto."

"I'm ready to sacrifice myself" goes unspoken, but Misaka knows that Shulk would've said it if he knew it wouldn't affect her.

"That's you in the vision, though! You might die if we go to the lab..."

"If we don't go, more people will get hurt. I'd rather that vision come true than let this city go down."

The tightening of Misaka's fists prompts Shulk to speak again.

"You're not the only hero in everyone's lives. Don't be afraid to ask for help."

"...Alright, I get it. We'd better catch up," Misaka says bitterly.

"I'm glad you understand." Shulk plays up a gentle smile.

End to Chapter 16.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.2K 576 26
In this story I'm aging the people of a certain scientific railgun by 1 year. But touma, index, motoharu, and other characters in toumas class are th...
196K 4.1K 20
Academy City. A large city in Japan that is comprised completely of research centers, colleges, high schools, middle schools, and elementary schools...
23.6K 794 22
The Final Brawl is here. With the return of the Original Multiverse, Mikoto is now trying desperately to escape Hueco Mundo and return to Academy Cit...
77.1K 1.6K 22
An alternate universe where Accelerator and Mikoto met each other again before New Testament. After the experiments, memories of their time together...