TouchDown- book one The Bradf...

lyonmom tarafından

Every girl needs their world to be rocked at least once. While Aiden Bradford believes he has everything he's... Daha Fazla

Prologue
Character Information
Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Epilogue
Book two of The Bradford Series
The family tree

Chapter 17

8.2K 216 17
lyonmom tarafından

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 17
Aiden

We did it. Ben and I came to what I can only see as a simple agreement to never have to speak about the subject of Riley and her sex life again. He wanted to know what I planned with her and I tried to be honest with him. I hadn't really planned anything beyond wanting her. I want her in my life and yeah, I want sex but I wasn't telling him that. I think that much was already obvious to him. Riley seems hesitant about anything with me and I told him I'd wait for her. I was really taking this whole thing one day at a time. The only thing I could say was that I care about Riley and would do what I could to not hurt her.

It wasn't enough and as soon as I said it, I knew it. So the embarrassing rambling began. I had to explain my screw ups and what I was doing to fix it. I spilled my guts about Leighton and how I've behaved, about meeting Riley and the whole mix up we had with her thinking I was dating Hunter. It was a fricking long one sided conversation and it wasn't until I stopped for air that I noticed Riley had been gone way too long and we were already in mid flight.

I should have known she had listened to part of the conversation and fallen asleep for the rest. Riley found the bed in the back of the plane and laid there listening to me rambling her into sleep. Eventually I shut up, because let's face it, even I can only do so much damage on my own.

I guess she noticed the silence between us and decided to take some pity on me. Coming back into the main cabin looking a bit guilty but not admitting to a thing, Riley took over the conversation with her dad and I was left to quietly contemplate my admission to Ben. I really like his daughter but I don't know how to have this kind of relationship that I know she wants from me.

After my embarrassing and uncomfortable talk with Ben, I kept to myself. I had a lot on my mind now. Riley was a good sport and had to deal with moving any conversations with him along for the flight. I think he felt as awkward over it as I did. I noticed he was pretty quiet too.

Once it was just Riley and I driving home, I relaxed some although I wasn't sure just how much she heard or if I'd said anything stupid. It didn't matter after about an hour into our drive back because we were focused on more important things, like transportation. Her car, being older and not that reliable of a car proved a problem. The radiator blew just as we reached the middle of nowhere between Arizona and the California border, right in the middle of the desert and the highway. It was a good thing I was with her and she didn't try the drive alone, I know Ben was grateful too when Riley gave him a call AFTER we got back to school.

It added time to our trip back but I didn't mind. It gave us the chance for us to just sit on the side of the road and talk. I told her about some of the funnier stories about the Bradford's that most people outside of the family don't know and even told her a little bit about Grandma.

Georgia Bradford the matriarch of the family and my personal favorite person is a wonder. She has never actually told us her age nor are we allowed to ask her. It's been made clear by our parents that Grandma does not age. She is exactly the way she was in her youth and no one would ever tell us differently. Grandma likes to remind us that she was our age once and remembers what it's like to feel invincible and all knowing. But then she makes the point immediately that she knows everything about each of us.

Riley was confused about who was related to who and how they were family... My family tree is confusing to say the least. And when it got to Breyden and Jim and how they were apart of us now, we'll that just stirred it up even more.

"So Grandma was pissed that her dad refused to let her see Jim. Even back then Grandma didn't take no for an answer from anyone. So she waited until Grandpa Mike left for the night, her dad was busy in his office and her mama had gone to bed before she snuck out, stole her dad's Mercedes Benz and drove two hundred miles to see the man she loves." I told Riley with a smile on my face. "Grandma told her dad that she was only verifying that Jim was indeed not interested in loving her before she decided to ruin her life with Grandpa Mike. It wasn't her fault that he bought a piece of shit Mercedes that broke down in the middle of nowhere."

"She didn't marry your grandfather because she loved him? That's sad." Riley frowned thinking of this. Her romantic heart showed in her eyes.

"No, it was an arranged marriage between their families. Her dad wanted her to marry a man who could handle the business and he wanted a step up the ladder of success. Jim wasn't in the field and I guess Mike was being groomed in the business for her. Grandma accepted it, made the most of her life with him. Family has always been a huge part of her life, which is odd when you think about how estranged she was from her parents after that arrangement happened but Grandma made the best of the situation. Dad, Blake and Derrick were everything to her but she was determined to have a big family. Viv is her best friend and they just became family from there. Viv and Grandma have a habit of taking in what Dad calls 'Strays'. The kids with little to family and that need the love she's willing to give. So our family grew." As I tell Riley this it reminds me of my own parents and that situation.

Mom is determined to make the best of their marriage and life no matter what he does. She has Grandma's support and if mom has said anything to Grandma, I'm betting dad's already gotten his ass chewed. Grandma isn't going to let one of her boys treat his wife like she was. At least in the beginning. I don't think Mike had much of a say with her after Grandma laid down the law.

We got back to campus late Sunday night and with Riley's car now at the closest garage for repairs and I was able to get a hold of Sawyer to come get us from there. I didn't have any choice of where I would be staying the night. We dropped off Riley at the dorm and helped her up with her bag then headed back to the house.

I was beat and had an early morning practice but that didn't mean I was ready to say good night to her. I liked sleeping with Riley last night. It was comfortable to have her next to me. She wasn't clingy or hogging the blanket and she didn't wait until I got in bed to ask me to get her a drink of water. If I wanted to hold her she let me without a freak out that I'd mess up her hair or God forbid see her without makeup on.

There was just no drama.

When I hit the bed, finally I couldn't sleep. I kept thinking about everything that happened that day and remembered I had a letter to read. Flipping my bedside light on I grabbed the folded note from the side pocket of the bag and sat in bed to read what words of wisdom that wily old woman had to say this time.

My sweet Aiden,

I like this one! Before you go and figure out that she could be the one for you and you decide to screw it up, let me remind you that I'm an old woman and I'm not getting any younger. I want to see my favorite grandson happy and I believe Riley is the one to do that.

I also want babies soon! I miss my babies in my house!

I've made arrangements for Riley's financial aid. She should get the check when she gets back. I know from what Ben said and didn't say they are terribly strapped and I plan on helping with that. I'll be sending your Uncle Beckett and his crew to work with Ben and get them in a better place. I think Ben would love Texas. Don't you?

I've always wanted to get a foot into the restaurant business.

I know you know something you haven't shared with me about your father and I know your mama needs me. I'm here for her and you when you're ready and to kick that son of mine's ass if he's in the wrong. Please talk to me and her when you feel ready.

I expect to see you and Riley for the Bradford Foundation Gala. Please ASK her to join us, don't just assume. (You remember what assume means right?) and I'll be sure an invitation is sent to Ben. Put the Gala on your calendar boy, I know you'll forget about it if you don't. The Saturday night before Christmas.

I know your dad and Blake told you I was having some health trouble. I'm fine and I don't want you to worry about me. I'm getting older and despite my own denial of it, age just happens without permission. I'm too stubborn and too busy to fool with being sick! I've still got plenty left to do yet.

My greatest joy is my family so know, if anything does happen I was happy. You go be happy too with that sweet girl. Don't you worry about Ben's shotgun, I'll make sure he's too busy to notice until Riley has fallen the rest of the way in love with you. Then it'll be too late.

Love you sweet pea!

Grandma

Grandma has a way of leaving me thinking about the darnedest things with every letter she gives me. Folding it back up and tucking it away with the others I've gotten through the years, I lay in bed staring at the ceiling and think about what she said.

Of course she knows I'm keeping something from her. The woman knows all, I swear. But she'll never turn her back on family. I still think there's more dad and Blake didn't tell me but I'll bide my time there. And what the hell!? Riley in love with me? Surprisingly, it's not like I thought it would feel. I thought it would freak me out like normal but I'm not. My heart is pounding at the idea but more out of excitement than anxiety.

Maybe this is a good thing. Closing my eyes with a smile on my face and Riley's face in my head I drift off. Letting Grandma's words sink in.

It's good to get back to class, to routine and football. I love being with my family and I had a great time spending Thanksgiving break with Riley. I'm just glad to get back to my schedule. I do better on a routine. Getting up early to hit the gym before class, grab a quick protein shake and a couple breakfast burritos then get to class. I'm busy, mind and body all day until I get to the field for practice. Then my mind and body are both focused on my game.

I'm missing Riley though

We've texted each other a lot this week and I've gone by the girls place to see her. We've worked in some tutoring time which is good because that's the most time I've gotten with her all week. Riley starting her new job at the diner across from campus doesn't help us. She's been adamant that she needs the job even when I've offered to help her out with expenses.

Riley doesn't want my money and has said exactly that when I tried to pay for her car repairs. I know just how expensive those repairs can be. She just started working this new job. I even offered her a loan but she wouldn't take it. My money is no good to her. At least I know she's not interested in me for my fortune but damn if I hate that she won't let me help her out.

I've known too many girls that would have loved for me to cover the expenses or cover a portion for them. Leighton would have been begging me to get her a new car by now. Grandma was right about her, Riley isn't like other girls I've known.

Today is my TA day. My last week covering for my teacher since her assistant will finally be back next week. It's a quiet catch up week just checking some papers and then I'm out of here. Walking through the classroom to get to the office I hear several girls giggling as I pass and realize that I'm not interested in the attention anymore. It's a moment for me to realize I've found a girl that has kept my attention for weeks now and I don't have any interest to even look in another's direction.

Heading inside the office I close the door and get settled for a few hours of work. Setting my phone on the desk I pull out the stack of paper and start the job. A few minutes in my phone vibrates with a message.

'Are you feeling better?'

Seriously!? This person is at it again! You'd think that they'd get the message from Matt to back off. I know he sent them a message already. He told me so earlier this week. I wouldn't be surprised if Blake sent them a message too. He doesn't tolerate the stalking of his family.

'Leave me alone unless you want a harassment lawsuit against you'

'You won't do that to me'

'Yeah I will.'

Tucking my phone away, I get back to work and ignore my phone for the next hour. I agreed to hang out in the office for a half hour for questions but when the only students that showed up were asking me if I was going to the party after the game this week I figured I was safe to leave.

Heading for the quad to meet Sawyer and Harper before hitting the gym, I walk past groups of people and hear girls giggle, that's not anything new, it's just getting annoying now that I'm actually paying attention to what's going on around me. I see several eyes following me across the campus and watch others lean in whisper and stare.

What the actual fuck?!

Walking up to Sawyer I see the cheerleaders huddled together and again the whispers and giggling begin again. Harper frowns as he walks up just as alert to what's happening around us as I am.

"What'd you do this time for every fucking female to ogle you?" Harper teases as he punches me in the shoulder.

"I didn't do shit!" I'm innocent this time. I know that hasn't been true in the past but it is this time.

"Hey! Remember when we had that last party at the house, second year?" Landon joins us tossing a football from hand to hand. "You passed out butt ass naked in the front yard and one of the girls got a picture of it. That picture made its rounds on campus for weeks."

"I don't think I could forget that. Matt and Blake ripped my ass for a solid month afterwards." And boy did I deserve that reaming. Every girl on campus got a good look at my goods, there were a lot of stares and whispers then too. Leighton got wind of what happened and only asked me to send her the picture as a sexy momento. She wasn't even at the party!

"So what did you do?" Sawyer asks again as we walk towards the gym.

"Nothing! I swear it." All three give me a dubious look. "Look I've got Riley now and I'm not going to do anything to screw this up. I made a promise to grandma." And to myself.

The eye roll I got from Harper didn't go unnoticed, I just chose to ignore it. I can't get mad when I haven't exactly proven to anyone that I'm serious about Riley. They're used to my jumping from girl to girl at a whim. I've never really been serious before now. It's not just Riley I have to prove myself to.

We get to the student gym and head straight for the locker room and change for our workout. After a quick change we get to the main floor and start for the treadmills when all three of our phones go off at once.

This is rare, and usually means that someone in the family has sent out a text for everyone. As we pull out our phones and look at the message, I feel like the ground just got pulled out from under my feet. Sitting on the nearest flat surface I can only stare at the picture on my phone.

"I thought you said you hadn't done anything." Landon asks, tilting his head to get a better look. "Who's the girl?"

Harper's eyes dart from the phone to my face. "When was this, Aiden?"

"Almost two months ago." I feel like I was just kicked in the gut.

We studied the photo in silence. I vaguely remember this night. I was pissed off that I had to fly across the country to meet up with my parents and her. She fixed the situation so I had no choice but be there. I barely had enough time to check into the hotel room and grab a shower before she was knocking on my door ready to walk the red carpet.

I was trying to get dressed when she wrapped herself around me from behind and stole the towel off me. I hadn't even dried off. She must have snapped the picture fast, I never even noticed her phone out. But then I was naked and trying to get her off me.

This looks so bad

Sawyer narrows his eyes in on something and glares at the photo. "Is that...?"

"Yeah, it's her." Growling in irritation I toss my towel down and huff out a deep breath. "Son of a bitch!"

She's the one texting me, she's responsible for this picture. I don't know how she got the picture taken but I know the shit is about to hit the fan. My phone rings almost instantly and I see Matt's name light up the screen then a second call and there's Blake. Fuck this is bad! And for a hat trick the third caller lights on the screen, Grandma.

"I know, I know! I just saw it and I'll deal with her." I tell them connecting all my callers together to get the ass chewing done in one shot.

"You will do no such thing!" Grandma is adamant on this. "Matthew, you get rid of this picture and you tell that two bit tramp if she thinks she can blackmail my grandson that little bitch has another thing coming! I will sue her..."

"I got it, Georgia. Chels and I are already on it with legal. Cade is talking to Leighton's parents now. She'll have to do a retraction with the social media sites she's posted it on. She's not gonna get away with it." Matt of course has already started with the defense for me.

"Aiden, when was this taken?" Blake asks knowing what will happen if it was while I've been with Riley.

"It was while we were in New York." Defeat filled my voice and had my shoulders slouching. Pinching the bridge of my nose I breathe slowly trying to find a way to get through this with minimal damage to all of us.

"New York?" I can hear the incredulous tone and I think I'm in deeper shit for this just because of the timing. "Damn it, boy! Have you lost your mind? You wanted Riley to give you a chance and you did this when you were trying to court her?" Grandma always gets to the core real fast.

"Technically, I was still dating Leighton." Sawyer swats me on the back of the head. Looking up I see all three shaking their heads at me.

"Aiden Maxwell Bradford, do you think that makes this pornographic picture any better young man? Do you think I want to see my grandson's bare ass out there for the world to see!?" There was the full name shit again.

"No ma'am." I softly answered knowing what I did was wrong in so many ways.

"Blake, Matthew fix this as fast as possible and for the love of God, Aiden, keep your damn pants on! I expect you to tell Riley immediately. Don't you let her see this on social media."

Riley

It's been a strange day. I've not heard one thing from Aiden all morning but Sawyer and Harper were on the quad when I was heading to class and both decided to walk me to the language arts building. I seem to have been accepted into their group of friends because later Landon and Wyatt were outside of my class and walked me back to the dorm.

Not that it's different from earlier this week. If Aiden isn't there to walk me to and from class one of the others are. It's the looks and whispers that are strange. The way girls stop talking as we pass then giggle behind my back. I feel like I'm the butt of a joke and I don't know what I did.

I've seen several groups huddled around someone's phone and laughing, It hasn't gone unnoticed the looks I'm getting or how the guys have tried to protect me from it. Even in the dorm I feel protected by the girls. They've been sweet in wanting me to do things with them and including me. I don't know if that's Aiden's doing or just the way this family is with each other but it's nice to know I'm accepted.

At least I feel like I am

Getting out of my last class a little early, I decide to try to get to the field and watch the end of practice before Aiden goes back to the house to study for his big test tomorrow. We've gotten very little time together this week so I'm glad I have a little extra time.

Hurrying through the quad, the cold air cuts through me. It's a little cold and I don't have my jacket with me. A cup of coffee will keep me warm for a while so I beeline for the cafe and walk through groups of girls huddled together in fits of giggles.

"Bradford is even hotter wet!" The redhead cheerleader got my attention but I didn't want to stop walking. "It's too bad for the girl in this picture though. I'd like to use this for my wallpaper."

"You can cut her out." One of her little friends suggested. "Just cut her head right off and paste yours on."

I guess the girls liked that idea because there were plenty of giggles and agreement from there. "It's too bad he's got a girlfriend. I hear he's been with her for years and won't commit to anyone else. She's got some kind of in with the family."

"He's single, I know that for fact because he told me when we were talking last night. Aiden's single but not for long. He's mine." Hearing her smug voice my feet seemed to forget how to move and I tripped over my own toes and fell forward.

"Woah!" Wyatt grinned down at me when he stopped my fall and kept me from embarrassing myself. "Hey Riley, I was just on my way to meet you. You want to get a coffee, it's colder than a nun's tit out here."

"I... I was but.. I really should get to the dorm." The idea of surprising Aiden didn't seem like such a good one now.

"I'll get it for you. Come on, it's too cold out here for you to not have something warm in you." His arm slung over my shoulder and Wyatt maneuvered me into the cafe.

Standing in line he kept talking to me about whatever popped into his head. Baseball practice, classes, the weather. He told me about the upcoming family fundraiser that they would have to attend and how his dad was working with Blake on a joint program for kids. My attention was elsewhere though as we walked through the line and I glanced up at the TV in the far corner of the room.

I couldn't hear what was being said but I didn't need to. The picture on the screen says it all. The gossip show was talking about Aiden. A picture of him in his football uniform was on one side of the screen while the side held a partially blurred out picture of him. Naked, wet and with a woman who looks familiar.

"Riley? What's wrong? Oh shit!" Wyatt's response echoed my own. "What the wholly fuck! Riley there has to be an explanation for it. He wouldn't have done anything that would hurt you, I swear it."

"I'm sure he's got a reason, I just..." I don't know if I can hear it right now.

Wyatt moves faster than I've given him credit for. He's usually so laid back and relaxed. I've never seen him in much of a hurry but he is now. His phone is out and he's getting to the heart of the problem.

"Hey Mrs Bradford, it's Wyatt ... okay, ma'am. Georgia, I'm here with Riley and we're looking at this show on the TV." Wyatt nods to me like he's going to get to the bottom of this for me. "Yes ma'am, sure thing Mrs... Georgia." Holding the phone out to me he nods for me to take it. "She wants to talk to you."

Hesitating, then realizing I don't have a choice, I take the phone. Wyatt gives me his megawatt smile. "I'm gonna get you that coffee while you talk to her. Don't take off on me now."

Moving to the corner of the cafe, I try to keep my voice down as I talk. "Hi Georgia, I'm sorry Wyatt interrupted your day..."

"Nonsense! I've been putting out this damn fire that wretched girl started. I don't want you thinking Aiden has done anything to hurt you, honeypot. I'm not saying that the picture isn't him, it is every naked inch but it was before you came into the picture so to speak. Have you talked to Aiden yet?"

The tears swam in my eyes but I refused to let them fall down. Shaking my head, I swiped at my eyes and faced the window. "No, no I just got out of class and he's at practice."

Feeling a hand on my shoulder, I look up to see a coffee held out for me. I mouthed a thank you for Wyatt and breathed slowly trying to settle myself down. He must have been watching me closely because Wyatt handed me a napkin and held on to my coffee while I wiped my eyes.

"That's good. I've talked to him, so has Blake and Matt. They're going to deal with the situation so you just leave them to it. I want you to go to the house with Wyatt and wait for him. Wait for Aiden, honey and let him know you're by his side on this." Georgia seems to have all this in hand but I don't know if I do. "Do you trust Aiden?"

There's no hesitation on this. He earned my trust in some ways that first night and in others slowly and still he's been proving himself. "Yes, Aiden has been honest and upfront with me."

"Good, then trust him now. It's not going to be the last time you two will have to face the press with some controversy so you better be able to handle it." Georgia is straightforward with me, giving me some much needed advice I need.

It is something I would have called my mom for to get her advice but that isn't possible. She's been out of my life for too long now. Georgia has stepped in though and filled those shoes just when I need it.

Giving the phone back to Wyatt he is given whatever instructions he needs to do what she wants and we head to the house. I know I'm going to be there for a while and head up to Aiden's room. Figuring I can study while I wait I go in and get comfortable on his bed with my laptop and notes and get to work.

The light outside darkens as the sun sets and rubbing my eyes I turn on the light next to the bed and look around the room, he's made some changes since I was last here. He added a new poster, the pile of equipment in the corner is missing and one of the pictures from his dresser is gone. Now just the picture of his family is front and center.

It's then I remember where I know her from. The girl that was in the picture on that show is the same one that was in his picture here. Leighton is her name. Aiden's ex girlfriend, of course it's her who did this to him. Hadn't Aiden said she was just after his money? What better way to get it than blackmail?

I heard voices downstairs then footsteps pounding up the stairs and down the hall. I can hear the boys talking louder now. Sawyer and Harper arguing it sounds like with Wyatt. Then I hear him, Aiden just outside the room.

"Riley?" The door flew open and there was Aiden looking a bit worried, a lot tired and hesitant to get too close to me. "Are you okay?"

I don't know what I thought before but seeing his face I was certain that Georgia was right. Getting up from the bed I rushed him. My arms wrapped and locked around his neck while I pulled his mouth to mine. Hot and rushed to take, just take this moment for myself. Just to assure myself that what I saw was right, that Georgia is.

She's right

Aiden caught my leap and held me up, my legs circling his waist as I ravaged his mouth. Searching, finding deep wells of heat licking up tickling my belly and begging for more. On groan of approval I can feel Aiden moving, the door slammed shut and with one arm holding me the other brushing everything from his bed in one wave of his arm. Laying back on the bed before he covered my body with his.

"I didn't know..." His words were cut off with another kiss.

"I know. I trust you." Cupping his face and making him look at me, really look at me. "I trust you, Aiden." Aiden bit down on his lip as relief flowed over him and the meaning behind my words took hold.

I trust him

Please remember to vote comment and share if you are enjoying this book thank you

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

1.2M 27.5K 59
[18+] ENEMIES TO LOVERS SPORTS ROMANCE. °•°•°•° Hannah Walker doesn't trust anyone, especially men. They're manipulative and toxic - her lousy ex tau...
4.6M 95.7K 77
COMPLETED Penn State University. Home to the craziest sorority girls, most obnoxious football players, and a possible Vice President's son. Sloane Be...
4M 73.6K 56
Emery Ashford had a smart mouth. She was known for it. As an outgoing teenager Emery was always hanging out with friends and with a lack of filter sh...
4.2M 108K 55
Hoping for no distractions during her senior year of college, Ryan finds herself in a whirlwind romance following a one-night stand with the last per...