Where The Daises Bloom

By ThatFanGirl_sn

Rose Thomas works for a medium-sized PR firm in New York, called PRight Now. Her new Department Manager, Samu... More

Prologue
The Sun Always Rises
The Window
At First Sight
Mr. Blue Eyes
Call Me Sir
Feel My Wrath
With Pleasure Comes Pain
The Midnight Sun
The Laptop
Bump In The Night
Nightmares
Always Watching
Cadman Plaza
In The Rain
Hidden In Plain Sight
Until The End Of Time

Fever

44 1 0
By ThatFanGirl_sn

"Rose! It's mom! Just calling to tell you good luck on your first day at the big PR firm. You're going to do amazing! Love you."

"Rosie E. It's dad, good luck at the new gig. Love you kiddo."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rose closed out of her voicemail and waited for Mike to come home. She spent all evening thinking about Mr. Samuel Marsten— his smile, his eyes, the way he cared for her when she told him about Mike.

"Rose! Where the fuck are you?! Where's dinner?" Mike screamed from downstairs.
Rose completely forgot to leave dinner out for Mike, and she started to panic at the thought of his wrath.

"Want me to order pizza?" She choked out.

There was silence, then the sound of plates crashing to the floor. Rose ran downstairs in a panic— "what happened?" She just barely ducked a plate that came flying at her head. "Michael! What the fuck are you doing?!"

"All I want, when I get home, is a fucking hot dinner. Why is that so god damn hard to understand?! Jesus Christ!" Mike was screaming as he continued to litter the kitchen with plates.

As he threw another one, his face grew redder and Rose knew she was close to becoming a punching bag again. "Sweetheart, I'm so sorry!" Tears flooded from Rose's brown eyes, as she begged him not to hurt her, "it was an accident! I'll make you dinner right now!"

"It's almost 8:00! I like to eat dinner at 7:00, so why the fuck would I want dinner now?!" He raised his voice and walked toward her.

"I know.. I'm sorry sweetheart, I'm sorry!" Rose was sobbing, barely understandable.

"You will be.." Mike was in one of his rage-modes as he stomped toward Rose.

Rose was hiding behind their grey sectional couch, and begging for mercy from her husband. "Please Mike.. I am so sorry!"

He didn't hold back as he started his assault on his wife. "I just want dinner! It's not hard!" He yelled as he ruthlessly battered his wife as she sobbed.

After his assault, he bent down and kissed her cheek, "oh no.. I'm so sorry baby! Damn, I didn't mean it. Come with me." He picked Rose up and carried her to their master bathroom and placed her in the tub. "I'm so sorry baby. Here.. it's okay. Warm water?" Rose didn't answer, but shook her head and Mike took that as a 'yes.' He let her soak for nearly an hour before he went back to get her, and 'lovingly' placed her in their bed.
———————————————————————
When Rose woke up, her head ached, and her face and chest was sore to the touch. She winched in pain when she went to turn over to get out of bed. On her nightstand, was a note from Mike.

'Rose,
I've gone away for the weekend. Don't worry about texting me on our regular schedule— we both need a redo. See you Monday night.'

Rose let out an audible sigh when she remembered that today was Thursday, so she would have four whole days without Mike. But today, she had to go to work.
———————————————————————
The train arrived to her stop, and she got her bagel. "Rose.. looking, refreshed today." Pete said.

"Four days without Mike," she smiled back. She continued toward her office feeling sore, and relived all at once.

"Good morning everyone!" She said as she entered her floor. "Hope you're ready for the weekend!"

"Good morning Rose," she heard a deep voice say behind her. She turned her bruised face around to see Sam's bright eyes.

"You seem okay today?" He was cautious with his question.

"I am, four days without Mike." She smirked. Then remembered she didn't tell Sam her abusers name, "Oh, right. That's my... the asshole."

"That does sound lovely." Sam winked. "So, you can stay late to help me with a project tonight?"

"I can..." Rose cleared her throat.

"Great." Sam said as he walked toward his office.

"Not a word, you two!" Rose shot her middle finger up and her friends laughed at her gesture.
———————————————————————
"See you tomorrow, guys!" Rose waved to Mark and Isabelle before they left for the evening. Rose turned her phone off of vibrate, after responding to a text from Mike.

"Okay Sam, I'm all yours!" Rose smiled as she approached Sam's office.

"Excellent," Sam responded with a smirk.

"What're we doing boss?"

"Nothing..." Sam blushed as he sat at his desk.

"Nothing?"

"Yeah.. nothing. I just wanted a little alone time to get to know you, and uhm.. make you feel safe.. for the first time in a long time, I imagine," Sam smiled shyly as he met Rose's eyes.

"Wow.. uhm, okay." Rose couldn't help but blush at his words. "That would be.. nice. Because you're right, I actually haven't felt safe in a very long time," she nervously chuckled.

"Well, okay then. Sit," Sam sat smirking across the desk from Rose. She sat down in the red chair again, but this time, she threw he legs over the arm rest and leaned back, draping her head over the other, her brown hair glistened in the artificial light. She didn't see it, but Sam looked at her like he'd never seen anyone so beautiful, so funny; he was admiring her. Rose quietly studied Sam's office, and how he made it his own so quickly. "I love what you did to that corner!" She pointed towards a small couch and round table.

"Thanks! I was afraid it would give off doctor office vibes, but if you like it, then I'll keep it," he smiled.

Rose got up and walked toward the little nook, "yeah.. I definitely like it!" She sat on the white couch and gave it a little bounce, "couch is comfy!" Sam looked at her as though she was the world. Rose saw that look this time and quickly looked away. "And I like this lamp!" It was a silver lamp, with a red plastic shade that was set-up behind the couch.

"Thank you," he smiled.

"Girlfriend get it for you?" Rose said, hoping to hear one answer, and one answer only.

"Ha, no. I am single." Sam chuckled. That was the answer. He kept his eyes on Rose as he slowly got out of his chair and walked towards her.

"Sorry, I just assumed," Rose quipped back. She stood up to look at the books on his bookshelf.

"Well don't," Sam whispered from behind her, the hair on her neck stood up and she felt dizzy. She turned around to see him standing right behind her. "Hey!" Rose playfully smacked him, forgetting that he was her boss. "Don't do that shit," she laughed fully, but quickly tried to stop herself, so Sam wouldn't hear her awful laugh.

"Whoa! That's a great laugh!" He said with a sincere smile.

"Really? You might need a hearing aid.. because it's not.. great," Rose cleared her throat and realized that Sam had moved closer.

"But it is great.." Sam smiled as he looked her up and down. Rose felt hot.

"Well, at least you think so, ha!" Rose cleared her throat, "that makes you.. Izzy, Mark, and the rest of the people at work."

"That's all.. your uhm, husband," Sam cringed at the word. "Doesn't like it?"

"Ha, no. He hates it actually.." Rose rubbed her arm out of uncomfortableness. Sam seemed to grow angry as he looked at her.

"I don't wanna talk about him though! What do you wanna know about me?!" Rose seemed to light up when her eyes met Sam's.

Sam walked toward the couch Rose was just sitting on and gestured for her to sit again. The two of them talked for hours, about growing up, favorite things, family life. "So.. I hate to sound insensitive, but do your parents.. uhm.. know about Mike's.. temper?" Sam asked her.

"Well.. they're dead. They were killed by a drunk driver when I was.. oh gosh, 22." Rose said. "But they wouldn't know anyway.. I used to be really good at hiding it. Key words, used to be," Rose chuckled as she subconsciously rubbed her face.

Sam sighed at her, "well maybe he's just becoming more of an asshole.."

"Yeah.. there's that.." Rose chuckled with a sigh before Sam leaned in and kissed her out of nowhere. Rose pulled back with a slight gasp.

"I'm.. so sorry," Sam pleaded.

"Oh.. it's okay...." Rose turned as red as her name and couldn't hide her smile.

*Fuck You by Lilly Allen* plays. "Mike is calling.. I have to answer."

"No.. you don't," Sam begged as he grabbed her hands.

"Please.. I do.." *fuck you, fuck you, very very much* Rose looked back towards her desk. "He'll kill me.."

Sam let go of her hands and she ran to her desk to get her phone.

'Hi, sweetheart. Why are you out of breath?"

'Working out, ha.' Rose swallowed.

'Oh. Okay. Anyway, I'm uhm.. gonna stay here through the week. I don't have any client meetings this week, so I'll just remote in.'

"Oh.. well that's good honey!" Rose replied.

'Wait.. Why does 'find my iPhone' say you're in Brooklyn?!' He suddenly changed the topic.

'I'm at the office.' She swallowed. 'We're doing this new after work yoga thing.. the boss thinks it's good for the mind. Hippies and shit,' Rose chuckled.

There was a pause, a pause longer than Rose wanted their to be one. 'You still there sweetheart?'

'Oh yeah.. I'm here. Well tell that hippie prick boss of yours to not stare at your ass, since you can't ever seem to find loose-fitting yoga pants. But, if I find it out you're lying to me, I'll fucking kill you..'

'I'm not..' Rose tried with all she had to not let him know she was crying.

'Good. So, I'll see you Friday.' Mike said. Rose swore she heard giggles coming from the background. 'Gotta go.' He ended the call.

Rose gripped her desk and let a sob fall from her lips, as she dropped into her chair. Sam came running out to catch her as she fell.

"Are you okay?" He looked at her with sadness.

"Yes.." Rose sniffed. "I'm fine..." she slumped out of her chair, and onto the grey carpet where Sam picked her up and held her. At that moment, they were no longer supervisor - subordinate. No, they were friends.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

351K 13.8K 51
Angelina's life took a turn when she left her father's country for New York City because of a scholarship she received. With her drowning in her self...
4.7K 320 59
Omg I'm going to die! "I can't! Jesus! I'm not going down there" "Oh come on Rue, it's not even that way down". I turned to look at those hazel eyes...
6.4K 681 23
Mallory finds herself brokenhearted when she loses the love of her life in a tragic accident. She's left to pick up the pieces of her life with the h...
333 20 46
Everyone has a story to tell. Melody has a story she doesn't wants people to know. A story she intends to keep deep inside her heart. But in her stor...