Running Solo

By Shill102

Midoriya Izuku has had a hard life. After being bullied for his quirklessness for years, he finally gives up... More

Hello!
Chapter 1 - Losing Hope
Chapter 2 - The Bully And The Coward
Chapter 3 - The End
Chapter 4 - The Broken Boy
Chapter 5 - Isha Garaki Kyudai
Chapter 6 - The Pain Of Waking Up
Chapter 8 - Searching
Chapter 9 - Confusion
Chapter 10 - Goodbyes
Chapter 11 - Dinner's Gone Cold
Chapter 12 - The Search Begins
Chapter 13 - No Sleep For The Weary
Chapter 14 - Young Midoriya
Chapter 15 - Souro Aizaku
Chapter 16 - School
Chapter 17 - Nightmares
Chapter 18 - 'Sensei'
Chapter 19 - Entrance Exams
Chapter 20 - Shio And Ako
Chapter 21 - More Questions Than Answers
Chapter 22 - Raising Red Flags
Chapter 23 - Old Faces, New Friends
Chapter 24 - The Letter
Chapter 25 - Neighbors
Chapter 26 - Class 1-A
Chapter 27 - Nezu, Man or Mouse? Neither.
Chapter 28 - Trial of Strength
Chapter 29 - Quirkless
Chapter 30 - Itamie Nashio
Chapter 31 - USJ Part 1
Chapter 32 - USJ Part 2
Chapter 33 - Hospitals... Ugh
Chapter 34 - Sanosuke-San

Chapter 7 - Impact

186 3 2
By Shill102

~Katsuki's Perspective~

"I couldn't just watch you die!"

Stupid nerd! I didn't need your help. I was just fine on my own. You better hope that I don't see you again, 'cause things will get ugly! UGH! Stupid Deku! You could have died!  Katsuki thought as he continued home. Why does the nerd have to put himself in such dangerous situations?! Does he have zero sense of self-preservation?!  Katsuki thought, tightening his grip on the straps of his bag. There was no point thinking about it now. He was almost home, and he was not in the mood to deal with his parents. Katsuki sighed.

"Stupid Deku." He mumbled as he stopped.

Katsuki bit his lip, then turned around and started walking away from his house. He walked until he got to a park not too far from his house. Then he went and stood underneath a tall tree. He dropped his bag on the ground and then slid down the tree until he was sitting on the ground. He leaned his head back against the tree and looked up at the green buds on the tree. Why does everything have to be so green?!   Katsuki thought in frustration as he closed his eyes. Then his phone vibrated in his pocket. He sighed and pulled it out.

Old Hag

-Where are you Brat?!

-Your father and I saw the news. Are you hurt?

-Answer me you brat! Where are you?!

Katsuki grit his teeth and sighed. He quickly typed back.

Katsuki

-I'm fine you old hag. I just went for a walk. I'll be home soon.

-Just quit your worrying before you give yourself a heart attack!

Katsuki grit his teeth again. He huffed as he stood up and shoved his phone back into his pocket. He quickly grabbed his bag and slung it over his shoulder. He'd hardly gotten any time to just sit and think. Katsuki sighed again and started heading back home.

~Time Skip~ (because fanfic authors love 'em! 😉)

Katsuki bid his parents a mumbled goodnight as he walked to his room. (and Katsuki being Katsuki, it's like 8:30 pm) He quietly shut his door and sat on his bed. He took a deep breath and then got ready for bed. After he had brushed his teeth and gotten changed, he laid down and pulled up the covers. He laid in bed for hours, but he just couldn't sleep. There were too many thoughts running through his head.

It was 10:15 pm when Katsuki gave up on sleep and went over to his desk. He turned on the lamp and pulled out an old photo album. It was filled with pictures of him and Deku as kids. Katsuki didn't know why he hadn't just thrown it out, but he could never bring himself to. Katsuki looked through it absentmindedly as he thought. Katsuki looked back at the clock on his nightstand. It read 10:35. Katsuki sighed, ready to head back to bed, but he froze when he heard his parents in the living room. One of their phones was ringing.

Katsuki was about to brush it off as unimportant and just go back to bed when he heard his mother.

"Inko-chan? Calm down. What's wrong?" his mother asked, sounding confused and worried. Katsuki crept into the hallway to try and hear them better. He heard his mother put the call on speakerphone.

"It's Izuku!" Inko sobbed over the phone. "He hasn't come home yet, and he isn't answering his phone either!" Inko cried.

"Have you called the police?" Mitsuki asked, worry in her voice.

"Yes. They've been out looking for about an hour. No one's found anything yet." Inko said, her voice wobbling.

"We'll come help." his mother said.

"Yeah, we'll be right over." Masaru agreed.

"And I'll go wake Katsuki up. He should help too." Mitsuki said.

"T-thank you." Inko said quietly.

"Hey, Inko-chan," his mother said softly. "Don't worry. We'll find Izu-kun."

"Thank you, Mitsuki-chan. You too Masaru-kun." Inko said and hung up.

"Ha. Poor Inko-chan." his mother sighed. "Let's go. I'll wake Katsuki up, you go and grab some flashlights." Mitsuki told Masaru.

"Alright," his father said softly.

Katsuki turned and hurried to his room, shutting the door as quietly as he could and diving onto the bed. He quickly pulled the covers on and pretended to be asleep. His door opened hesitantly. He heard his mother sigh and then,

"Get up, Katsuki. I know you're awake, and I know you heard about Izu-kun. Get dressed and come help us look." Mitsuki said, leaving no room for argument. She left the room, turning on the light and shutting the door as she left.

Katsuki sighed and got up. He quickly got dressed and headed out to the living room. His parents already had their shoes on. His mother was wearing a purple cardigan over her plain white shirt, and his father was wearing a plain black long sleeve shirt. His mother threw a thin black sweater at him and he angrily put it over his black shirt. His father handed him a flashlight and then passed one to Mitsuki. His mother took it with a nod.

"Get your shoes on. We're heading over to Inko-chan's before we go out and help with the search." Mitsuki said.

"Tch! Fine!" Katsuki huffed, pulling on his shoes. His black pants rubbed annoyingly against his wrists. "Let's just go." Katsuki huffed as he stood. His parents nodded and walked out.

Mitsuki locked the door as Katsuki walked out of the house. Then they walked to Inko's house in silence. Katsuki could feel his parents staring at the back of his head. He shoved his hands in his pockets, ignoring them. When they got to Inko's apartment, Mitsuki knocked gently on the door and Katsuki rolled his eyes. Soon, Inko opened the door. Her eyes were red and her cheeks were tear-stained. Masaru and Katsuki stood awkwardly as Mitsuki hugged Inko tightly.

"Don't worry, Inko-chan. He'll come home." Mitsuki said, pulling away. She looked back at her boys. "You two go start looking. I'm going to stay with Inko-chan." Masaru and Katsuki just nodded and walked down to the street.

"Let's split up. We'll cover more ground that way." Masaru said in his usual soft-spoken manner. Katsuki just nodded, too tired to argue with his father.

They quickly turned away from each other and began their search. Katsuki could hear his father calling Izuku's name, but Katsuki just continued walking. After Katsuki was sure his father wouldn't be able to hear him, Katsuki turned his flashlight on and started searching.

"Deku!" he called. "You stupid nerd, where are you?! Quit playing hide-and-seek, or I'll blast you!" Katsuki yelled angrily. There was no response. Katsuki let out a string of curses. Realizing that this wasn't working, Katsuki switched tactics. "Come on, nerd. Your mother's crying because of you. Just head home already!" Still nothing. "Tch! Are you really going to make me say it?!" Katsuki called angrily. "Fine." he huffed to himself. "Izuku?! Where are you?!" Katsuki yelled.

There was still no reply and Katsuki knew it was getting really late. It had to be getting close to midnight, now. Katsuki's voice was growing hoarse from all of the yelling, but he refused to give up. He never gave up on anything and he wasn't about to start now. Just as he was walking past an alley, something clattered. His head whipped towards the sound.

"Izuku?" Katsuki called, struggling to hide his nerves. He shined his flashlight down the alley and caught sight of a pair of red shoes scattered at the mouth of the alley. He quickly pulled out his phone and called him mother.

"Katsuki? Did you find Izu-kun?" his mother asked as Katsuki walked hesitantly into the alley.

"Maybe. I think I found his shoes, but I don't see... him..." Katsuki trailed off.

"Katsuki?!" Mitsuki asked, concerned. "What's wrong? Is everything alright?" Katsuki couldn't speak. Those were definitely Deku's shoes, but they weren't the only red in the alley. There was a large pool of blood. "Katsuki! Talk to me! What's going on?! Is everything okay?!" Mitsuki demanded.

"S-so much blood." Katsuki whispered, not really hearing his mother.

"What?! What do you mean?! Where are you?! I'm sending your father over and calling the police. Don't hang up! Just tell me what's going on!" Mitsuki said frantically. "Inko-chan, please call Masaru and hand me the phone." Mitsuki called into the background, voice slightly muffled as she turned away from the phone speaker. "Don't hang up, Katsuki." his mother repeated sternly.

"Here, Mitsuki-chan." Inko's hoarse voice sounded faintly. "Masaru-kun's on the phone."

"Thanks, Inko-chan. Would you mind making tea while I talk to Masaru? Thanks." his mother said, her voice calm and soft in spite of the situation. "Don't hang up, Katsuki." his mother said again. Katsuki didn't respond. He fell to his knees, the blood seeping a little into his black pants. "Masaru. I need you to find Katsuki. It sounds like he may have found Izu-kun, but he said something about there being a lot of blood. I'm going to send some police and an ambulance over, but I need you to go check on Katsuki. Yeah, thanks." his mother said distantly. "Alright, Katsuki. Your father is on his way. I'm going to hang up and try to keep Inko-chan distracted. Just stay safe and don't do anything stupid." Mitsuki said before she hung up.

Katsuki's phone slipped from his hand and landed in his lap, but he didn't move to grab it. He couldn't. He just stayed there, on his knees, staring at the pool of blood he was sure belonged to Deku. He reached out a shaking hand and grabbed one of Deku's red shoes. There was his name, carefully written on the inside flap. Katsuki felt tears in his eyes, but he refused to let them fall. His father arrived not long after. 

"Katsuki! There you are. Are you alright? Your mother said- " Masaru started before freezing at the scene in front of him. His son was on his knees in front of a bunch of blood. His son was also clutching one of two red shoes he had seen on Midoriya Izuku. "Son, I'm so sorry."

Katsuki set the shoe down gently beside the other one and put his hands in his lap. He didn't look up at his father. Masaru knelt down beside his son and wrapped his arms hesitantly around his boy. Katsuki didn't push him off, so he continued to hold him. Katsuki brought his hands up to his arms and hugged himself, the tears he'd been holding back finally falling. Then, in a broken voice, whispered one word.

"Izuku..."

A/N - Sorry about all of the spelling mistakes. I finished this at like, 10:30 or 11:00 last night. 😅

Edit: I have since gone through and fixed some of the spelling mistakes, though feel free to politely let me know if you find any I missed. Also, I went through and made it so that Mitsuki and Inko are less formal with each other and Masaru. I figured that they will have been friends since they were teens and would be close enough to be less formal. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

591 4 16
Izuku Midoriya, also known as Deku, was a young hero in training at UA High School. He was known for his fierce determination and his unwavering des...
38K 1.2K 11
Nezu decides to start a new game for UA "Heroes vs Villain War" there will be a leader of each group. But what happens when Izuku Midoriya is chosen...
20.2K 478 13
Izuku Midoriya has always wanted to become a hero despite being quirkless. He admired every hero he came across but he admired one more than the othe...
360K 13.9K 44
Izuku Midoriya had a strange hobby. To put it simple he didn't had only notebooks on a person's quirk but also plans on how to take the person down...