Be My Juliet [on hold]

By writingmaniac321

Penelope recently moved to England to pursue her dream of becoming an actress. She never expected to fall fo... More

Chapter 1: Correction, Flatmate
Chapter 2: Caramel Confusions
Chapter 3: Danisnotfromhere?
Chapter 4: Chocolate Dreams
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7: Rude Jacket Manners
Chapter 8: It's a Holiday Thing
Chapter 9: Ugly Sweaters and Stolen Kisses
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39: Bruises
~CONTEST INFORMATION~ [closed]
~CONTEST WINNERS~
Updates
Chapter 40: Broken Wings
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
more updates
Chapter 43
THE WATTYS!!
Chapter 44
Chapter 45: Blackout
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
advice & opinions pls

Chapter 13

46.2K 990 1.6K
By writingmaniac321

I wake up, turning my head to see what time it is: 2:15.  I groan knowing half of my day is gone because I didn’t get to sleep until 3:00 am last night.  After he dropped me off, Dan and I texted, making plans to see each other soon.  He invited me to his and Phil’s Christmas celebration, and of course I accepted.  I need to think of presents for them…

I roll out of bed, dragging myself into the lounge.  “Hey there, sleepy head!” Jess chirps.

“Hi.” I mutter back as I make my coffee.

“Merry Christmas!” she comes into the kitchen and traps me in a huge hug.  “How did you manage to sleep so late on Christmas morning?”

“I stayed up way too late.” I smile as we flop onto the sofa.  “But I need to call back home.  Give me a second?”

“Of course!  Tell everyone I say hi!” she goes back into the kitchen, probably to eat one of the sugar cookies she made last night.

I dial the home phone, and after a few rings my dad picks up.  “Hey!  Merry Christmas!”

“Penny!  Oh, merry Christmas darling!  How’s my little star?”

“I’m alright Dad,” I smile at my old nickname.  “How are you and Mom?”

“We’re good, just sad you couldn’t spend Christmas here!” he replies.  He calls over the entire family and puts me on speakerphone.

“Is that my little Nellie?” my granddad asks.

“Yes, it’s me!”

“Oh, dear, how are you?” my grandma asks.  I answer, and talk to them for a few minutes until I hear my aunt’s voice in the background.

“Is that our little movie star?” she chimes.

“Yes, Auntie it’s me!” I giggle.

“Well why aren’t you here?  We miss that pretty face of yours!”

“I’m in London, remember?”  I chat with her and a few of my cousins until my brother grabs the phone.

“Hey sis!” I can almost hear him smile through his words. 

“Hey Will!  Merry Christmas!”

“IS THAT WILL?” Jess screams, running over to the phone.  “Hi, Will!”

“Oh my God, Jessica?  How’ve you been?”

“I’m all right, and you?  Merry Christmas, by the way!” she smiles.  The two of them converse for a while, so I try to decide what to get Dan and Phil.  I know they love music, video games, and movies, but it’s Christmas Day!  No shops will be open. 

“May I please talk to my older brother?” I say, crossing my arms.  She reluctantly hands over the phone.  “Hey, Billy.” I grin, calling him by his old nickname.

“What are you doing for Christmas without us?”

“Spending time with friends.”

“You have those?” he laughs.

“I know; you’re as shocked as I am.” I giggle along with him.  We talk for a few more minutes until he is informed that lunch is being served.  “Right, it’s 11 for you.”

“Yes, it is.  I’m sorry we could talk for longer, but I’ll call soon, yeah?”

“Alright.” I smile.  I say a huge goodbye to everyone back home, and then hang up.

“Do you want something to eat?” Jess asks as she brings me my coffee in a huge mug I got when I visited Las Vegas.

“I’ll find something later.”  I lie.  “I’m not really hungry now.”

“Alright!” she smiles, walking over to our tree.  “Present time!”  I join her on the floor, and I hand her the gift I got her.  She unwraps it, and reveals the complete set of The Uglies by Scott Westerfeld series.  I knew she had been dying to read them, but it seemed as though every time she went to get them at the library, they were checked out.  “Thank you do much!” she smiles, trapping me in a hug.  “Your present is a bit weird… one second…” she pulls out her phone.  I stare at her as she dials a number.  After a few rings, she squeals and hands me the phone.

“Hello?” I ask, very confused.

“Is this Penelope?” I hear a man with a very strange accent reply.

“Yes… who’s this?”

“Beatus.”

“ARE YOU KIDDING ME?” I scream.  I look up at Jess, and see her grinning ear to ear.  “Hi!”

“Merry Christmas!” Kellin Quinn replies in his normal, beautiful voice. 

“Merry Christmas to you too!” Holy shit.  Holy fucking shit.  I am talking to Kellin fucking Quinn on the phone.  Right now.  Right this second.  I need to remind myself to breathe.  “How are you?”

“I’m very good,” he laughs.  We talk for a while about music and other random things that come up during the conversation.  “It’s been great talking with you!  We should definitely do this later.”

“I couldn’t agree more.  Coming to England anytime soon?” I laugh.

“Actually yes.  You need to come to a concert!”

“I would love to!”

“Awesome, I’ll send you tickets.”  I thank him, and then we say our goodbyes. 

“HOLY SHIT!” I yell, running over to Jess and tackling her in a huge hug.  “How the hell did you make that happen?  That is literally one of the best presents I ever got.”

“You know my cousin Danielle…” she grins.  I shake my head, not familiar with the name.  “She’s the one that is friends with almost every musician ever!  Remember, she’s the one that books bands for concert venues!”

“No, but I love her already.  She got me talking to Kellin Quinn.” I shriek, still in shock.  “So what are you doing this Christmas?” I ask, trying to find something to talk about so I don’t scream again.

“One of my school friends invited me over.” She smiles.  “And you?”

“Going to Dan’s.” I reply.  “I still need to get him a gift…”

“I have an idea!” she grins, going to her phone again. 

“You don’t mean…”

“Hello, Danielle?” she cuts me off.  “Yeah, it’s me.  Yes, she loved it.  I think she almost passed out.  Merry Christmas to you too!  Listen, I have another favor to ask.  Is there any way you could let me get another friend a similar gift?” she pauses, and looks at me.  I know I must be smiling like an idiot, but I can’t help it.  What is she thinking?  “Any way my other friend could talk to Matt Bellamy?”

I gasp at the thought.  Dan would actually freak.  So would Phil.  It would be so amazing!  I guess Danielle hears me through the phone, because I faintly hear her start to laugh.  Jess hands me the phone.  “Hello?”

“Hi!” she chirps.  “I’m glad you liked your gift.”

“It was fantastic.  I couldn’t even believe it.”

“Good!” she laughs.  “I’ve got to talk to Matt, but I’m sure he’d be happy to talk with your friend!  If you want, you could give me your number and I could text you when I know for sure?”

“Are you sure?” I ask, in shock.  How the hell does this girl know so many people?

“Of course!” she giggles.  “Matt and I go way back.  What’s your number?”  I give it to her, thanking her about one hundred other times.  We say goodbye, and then I hang up and hug Jess again.

“Thank you thank you thank you thank you!” I squeal.

“You’re welcome!” she grins.  “I should get going, but have fun with Dan!”

“I will!  I’ll see you later.” I call as she walks out the front door.

I run to my room, and try to decide what to wear.  I throw on my red sweater with white reindeers on it along with my normal black leggings.  I pull on my fuzzy socks with snowflakes all over them along with my favorite pair of boots.  I brush through my hair quickly, and then curl the ends until I am happy with it.  After rimming my eyes with black eyeliner, I swipe on a few coats of mascara and conceal my insanely dark under eyes.  I look myself over in the mirror, still not satisfied with my reflection.

Suddenly, I feel my right arm start to tingle.  Look at you.  I hear a voice whisper in my ear.  I turn my head, but no one is there.  How could you expect Dan to like you with a face like that?  Or get the part with a body like that?  You’re disgusting.  I peer down at the cupboard, knowing my blades are hidden in there.  That will make it all go away.  I drop down to the floor, opening the cabinet doors slowly.  I reach in and find my trusty razor along with the rag I store in the back.  Just do it.  A few more cuts won’t hurt.  The tingling sensation grows as I roll up my sleeve, lightly touching the skin underneath with my other icy hand.  I run the blade lightly along my finger, not hard enough to leave a mark.   I just want to feel the cold metal on my skin.  I position it above my wrist, about to drag it across, just like I’ve done so many other times.  I was so easy, and was the only thing that shut up that voice, even if it was only for a moment.  Do it you bitch.  I lay the razor on top of my skin, willing my hand to move.  However, it doesn’t budge.  “Not on Christmas.” I whisper to myself as a single tear rolls down my cheek.  “Not on Christmas.”  I pack away my things, hiding them in the cabinet before shutting the door and standing back up. 

I walk back into the lounge, and find that I have 3 new messages.

I can’t wait for you to come over today!  Can you come now? :) –Phil

I don’t think I can wait any longer.  If you can, please come over now? xx –Dan

I smile, texting them both that I’ll head over now.  I grab the same bag I used yesterday, put on my coat, hat and scarf, and head out the door, locking it behind me.  Once I get in the elevator, I read the last text.

Hey Penelope! I talked to Matt, and he would love to chat :) He will call you at this number at around 4, is that all right? Have a very merry Christmas! –Danielle

I squeal, replying with a million thank you’s again.  I check the time, and see that it is 3:45; so I have 15 minutes until Matt Bellamy is calling me.  Even though I know how much Dan and Phil love him, I need to talk to him as well.  I’m a huge fan too!  I walk outside, and see the snow has continued to fall from yesterday.  The trail of footsteps the boys and I made in the park is gone, completely covered in new white fluff.  I grin, walking a bit faster because I know how cold I’ll get in this kind of weather. 

By the time I reach their apartment, I am covered in snowflakes and my nose is bright pink.  I knock on their door, and hear footsteps running towards it.  Dan and Phil both open it, and shout “Merry Christmas!” as soon as they see me.  I notice Dan is wearing a green sweater with a Santa printed on the front, and I have to stifle a laugh.  He grabs me, hugging me tightly.  I have a feeling he is trying to warm me up, bless him.  Once he lets go, Phil wraps his arms around me, telling me about what he and Dan have planned for today.  Phil releases me, and takes my coat.  I feel Dan slip off my hat and remove my scarf from around my neck.  They usher me inside, and I am hit with the smells of spices and meat cooking emanating from the kitchen.  Oh, shit.  I need to eat here.  They lead me into the lounge, and we all flop onto the couch.

“How has your Christmas been?” Dan asks.

“Very good so far.” I smile back.  “And yours?”

“I spent some time with my family this morning, but it just got better,” he grins, staring at me.  My cheeks go red as I turn to Phil.

“What are you making?”

“A lot.” He replies.  “I hope you like everything!”

“I bet I will.  Let me know if you want any help!”  He stands up, and walks over to the tree.  He grabs a big box wrapped in silver metallic paper then rejoins Dan and I on the couch.

“Merry Christmas.” He says, placing the present on my lap.  I thank him, smiling as I tear it open.  Dan gets up, grabs another present from under the tree, and returns by my side.  I open up the box and find a jellyfish stuffed animal inside.  “I saw it and it reminded me of you.”

“I don’t know whether to be honored or concerned…” I laugh.  At the bottom of the box, there are packets of various different candies, such as Maltesers and Kinder eggs.  “Thank you so much Phil!” I grin, pulling him into a hug.

“And this one’s from me.” Dan smiles, moving the wrapping paper onto the floor and placing his gift on my lap.  I open it, and find a copy of John Green’s The Fault in Our Stars

“I love this book!  I’ve never gotten a real copy, just borrowed it from the library.  Thank you so much!” I smile, hugging him.

“I know!  I remember you said this was one of your favorites.” He replies.  “But you haven’t seen the best part.”  He takes the book from my hands, and opens it to the first page.  He returns it, and I see John Green’s signature scrawled across it.

“Oh my God!” I cheer, wrapping my arms around him again.  “How the hell did you get this?”

“John gave it to me when I saw him at Playlist Live.  I knew how much you liked the book…” he starts, but I cut him off with a quick kiss.

“Thank you so much!” I know I am grinning like an idiot, but I don’t care.  “You need to share your gift with Phil…” I laugh, checking the time.  3:59, perfect timing: he’ll be calling any second. 

“You didn’t have to do anything,” they both laugh.

“But the thing is I wanted to…” I grin.  I feel my phone buzz, and tell them I need to take it.  “Hello?”

“Hey!  Is this Penelope?” I hear Matt Bellamy reply.  Holy crap.  Matt Bellamy is talking to me.

“Yes, sir!  Thanks so much for calling.”

“Of course!  Merry Christmas!”

“Merry Christmas to you too!  I have some friends who might want to take to you…” I giggle, putting the phone on speakerphone.  I look up and see that Dan and Phil are both extremely confused, but I urge them to say hello.

“Hello?” they ask in unison.

“Hey!  This is Matt Bellamy.”  Dan’s jaw drops, completely in shock.  Phil’s eyes go wide, his gaze flicking from me to the phone.

“H-hi!” Dan stammers, and I can tell he is trying not to freak.  “Merry Christmas!”

“Merry Christmas.” Matt laughs.  The two of them talk for a long time, and after a while Phil snaps out of his daze and starts chatting.  Matt ends up inviting them to their London concert, and they make sure they get a ticket for me.

“Of course Penelope’s invited!” he replies, making me blush.  I don’t know why, but the fact that he remembered my name makes my want to squeal.  After some more discussion, we say our goodbyes and hang up.

“WHAT THE FUCK?” Dan screams, tackling me into a huge hug.  I fall onto Phil, and he wraps his arms around me as well.

“How did that happen?!” he shrieks as Dan kisses me.

“My friend knows someone who’s close to him.” I smile once Dan and I break apart.

“Holy shit…” Dan says, still stunned.  “Thank you so much!  Best present ever.  We’re going to see Muse!”  We put on some music, then dance around and chat until dinner is ready.

“For you,” Phil smiles, giving me a plate to put food on.  Dan pulls out my chair for me, and I blush as I sit down next to his place.  I stare at the food in front of me, trying to decide what looks like the least amount of calories.  I decide that the turkey couldn’t possible be too much, and I can’t stop myself from grabbing a potato as well.  I cut them into extremely small chunks then chew on one piece for as long as I can.  “We have a Christmas cracker for you!” he grins.

“I still can’t get over that they don’t have them in America…” Dan mutters.

“Well, I’m happy I’ll get to have my first cracker experience with you guys.  What is it?  All I know about is the lame jokes…”

“That’s the best part!” Phil laughs.  We continue chatting as they eat more food.  I manage to just push it around my plate with my fork, only eating a few more bites.  You don’t need any more than that.  Dan clears the table once we are done, even after I protest to do it instead.

“But I’m your guest!  Please let me do something for you.”

“Exactly, you are the guest.  You’re not allowed to do anything.” Dan smirks.  Phil gets crackers from some table in the lounge, then returns and hands me one.  “On three we pull, alright?” Dan says to me, grabbing one side.

“Alright…”

“One, two… three!” he says, and the cracker makes a loud noise and breaks into my hand.  I look inside, and see an orange paper crown sitting on top.  I put it on my head, and then dump the rest of the contents onto the table.  I find a small purple butterfly hair clip inside, and pin it to my bangs.

“Beautiful.” Phil laughs as I grin.

“What’s the joke?” Dan asks.

“What do you get if you eat Christmas decorations? Tinselitis.”

“Oh…” they both groan.  They both take crackers, and pull them apart.

“I’ve got marbles!” Phil smiles, putting them on the table.

“Wait, you got marbles and I got a hair clip?” I laugh.  “What’s the joke?”

“What kind of paper likes music?”

“Wrapping paper.” We say in unison.  We giggle, not at the joke but at the fact that I knew the punch line.

“What about you Dan?” we pull open his cracker, and he gets a bookmark.

“A bookmark?” he chuckles.  “This has got to be the worst one.”

“And it’s made of the same stuff as the crackers…” I notice.

“What did the fish say when he ran into a wall? Dam.”

“That one’s the best out of all of ours!” I giggle.  We chat a bit more then end up playing some Dance Dance Revolution.  “Dan!  Why are you so good at this?”

“I know, I’m like Asian level…” he smiles as he continues to get a perfect score.  Naturally, he beats me every time, and Phil and I usually tie.  After multiple rounds, Phil checks the time.

“We need to get going Dan!” Phil exclaims.

“Yes!”  They stand up, pulling on their shoes.  “You’re coming?”

“To what?” I ask dumbly.

“We have a radio show tonight.” Phil smiles.

“And would love it if you were there.” Dan continues his sentence.

“Please come!” Phil begs, and I agree.  They cheer as we grab our coats and head out the door.  We arrive at the BBC headquarters, and Dan and Phil get pulled into a room.

“She’s with us.” Dan smiles at a security guard, grabbing my wrist and pulling me along.  Once we arrive, they sit in comfortable-looking chairs and are handed headphones. 

“Ready?” someone dressed in all black asks.  They give them a thumbs up and the person counts down, “Five, four, three, two…”

Hey guys!  Merry Christmas :) I hope everyone is having a great holiday!  I know I said I would post this last night, but I kind of passed out before I got a chance :/ Please let me know what you think, and I’ll have the next chapter up as soon as possible!  Stay amazing <3 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

617K 23.7K 32
**Trigger Warning: Self Harm, Abuse, Alcoholism** Dan Howell and Phil Lester never got along. Mostly because Dan took out his horrid home...
306K 6.3K 13
Dan and Phil, or danisnotonfire and AmazingPhil, are best friends who share a flat. Nothing more, nothing less. Until, of course, something happens w...
2.3K 123 28
Meet Dan aka Danisnotonfire Dan is a Brittish Youtuber/fulltime internet hobo Meet Phil aka Amazingphil Phil is also a British Youtuber What happens...