Kissing the Rake (Howertys #2)

By EmilyMorgans

Jessica Howerty fell for her brother's best friend when she was a young girl, and never quite recovered. Now... More

Foreword
Prologue
Chapter 1: Letters from Home
Chapter 2: Ride With Me
Chapter 3: You Always Win
Chapter 4: Home
Chapter 5: Evening Visitation
Chapter 6: Visit to Davenhall
Chapter 7: Kissing the Rake
Chapter 8: A Country Ball
Chapter 9: The Pond
Chapter 10: As Good As It Gets
Chapter 11: Tea Shop
Chapter 12: A Ride With Ravenscroft
Chapter 13: Kissing the Viscount
Chapter 14a: The Summer Festival (pt 1)
Chapter 14b: The Summer Festival (pt 2)
Chapter 15: A Ball at Holcombe Hall
Chapter 17: Just One Kiss (pt 1)
Chapter 18: Just One Kiss (pt 2)
Chapter 19: Repercussions
Chapter 20: A Proposal
Chapter 21: Conversations
Chapter 22: The Night Before (pt 1)
Chapter 23: The Night Before (pt 2)
Chapter 24: Wedding Day
Chapter 25: Here We Are
Chapter 26: Glenwood Inn
Chapter 27: Arriving in London
Chapter 28: Games with Friends
Chapter 29: A Ball at Ashbrook House
Chapter 30: White Flag
Chapter 31: Lady Hearn
Chapter 32: Believe Me
Chapter 33: Shatter Me
Chapter 34: Sisterly Concern
Chapter 35: Nightly Visitor
Chapter 36: Wrecking Ball
Chapter 37: Father and Son
Chapter 38: Final Confessions
Epilogue
Author's Note: Thank You
Sneak Peek: The Howertys Book #3
Bonus: Song by MelancholyMallow

Chapter 16: Confessions

28.3K 1.6K 370
By EmilyMorgans

Jessica was quite happy to see the guests leave the following day. While she enjoyed the occasional ball and party, she preferred a quiet life. Wanting to be alone for a while—and with Olivia having tea with friends who hadn't left yet—she found the book she was reading, changed into walking boots and left the manor for one of her afternoon walks. It wasn't long before she shed her boots and stockings to walk barefoot across the green hills, her bonnet once again dangling by its ribbons from her hand.

The summer sun warmed her face and arms, a light breeze playing with a few wisps of hair that had come loose from her chignon. Remembering the pond where she'd been before, she turned her steps in that direction. As she got closer, she realised she wasn't the only one who had thought of visiting the pond. Jacob's horse grazed between the trees, but she could not see its master anywhere. She had a sneaking suspicion he might be swimming, and against better judgement, she approached the water to see if she was correct. Some splashing noises confirmed her notions before she even caught sight of him, but by the time she did, she could not possibly turn her gaze away.

He swam from one side of the pond to the other, his muscular arms sweeping gracefully through the water, propelling him forward at a rather impressive speed. Unable to stop herself, she approached the edge of the pond and stood there watching him for a moment; the sun making the water in his hair sparkle like diamonds. It didn't take long for him to notice he was no longer alone and he stopped swimming, standing up some ten feet away from her. The pond wasn't overly deep, leaving the water lapping around his midriff. She shouldn't stare, but it was difficult not to admire his sculpted chest and powerful arms, the water glistening in the dark hair on his torso, trickling down his flat stomach and back into the pond.

He watched at her in silence for a moment before quirking an eyebrow. "We've got to stop meeting like this," he remarked with a lopsided grin.

Her eyes guiltily flew from his abdomen to his face. There was definitely a glimmer of dark amusement in his blue eyes. "I'm sorry," she said. "I didn't realise you were here. I was planning to do some reading."

"Oh, don't let me stop you." He chuckled "Go ahead, I will leave."

Sweeping her gaze over him, she frowned. "Jacob, are you naked?"

"I think we've already discussed my appearance while swimming," he replied as he started walking towards her.

"You better not be coming out of that pond!" she warned him, a hint of panic in her voice.

"I'm cold and I most certainly am coming out. So if you don't want your maidenly senses forever damaged, I suggest you turn around now."

Quickly turning her back to him, she could hear him laughing, making her grit her teeth. "What are you doing here, anyway?" she asked while he dressed behind her.

"Taking a dip, obviously."

"Do you enjoy swimming?" She looked up into the skies above, trying hard not to imagine him naked in the pond.

"I did when I was a child. Nowadays I find that jumping into a cool pond has some other advantages."

Surprised, she turned around and was relieved to find he had put on his breeches and a white shirt, even if the latter was open, displaying much more naked, male skin than her senses could handle without overheating.

"Don't ask," he said as she opened her mouth to do just that. She shut it again. "Let's just say that sometimes men are quite easily affected."

He pulled on his boots, but when he realised she didn't understand what he was talking about, he stopped and gave her an amused look. "Maybe you should go back to reading those books of yours."

"I... Oh!" Her face flushed as she got his meaning. "But when... How?"

He straightened and began buttoning his shirt. "I'd rather not talk about it."

"Very well," she said. "What do I care if you are dallying with some maid and were interrupted?"

That amused him for some reason, because he started laughing. Then he seemed to sober up and walked towards her. She took an involuntary step backwards as she caught the look in his eyes. He stopped right in front of her, standing much too close for propriety, looking down. Her breath lodged in her throat as he lifted a hand to touch her lower lip with the pad of his thumb. His eyes dropped to her mouth.

"No," he said quietly. "I don't dally with maids anymore. That was a childhood folly. Contrary to popular belief, I don't grab anything in skirts."

"Really?" She tried to ignore the breathless quality of her voice. "That's not what I've heard."

His hand fell away from her face and he met her eyes as he chuckled darkly. "You listen too much to gossip, Jessica. I've probably not seduced half of the women the gossips name." When she let hear an unladylike snort of disbelief, he grew serious. "I'm not saying I've not seduced a lot of women, just that the gossips like to make it sound worse than it actually is."

"I don't remember you ever trying to stem the rumours."

He shrugged. "I never saw the need to. Besides..." He grinned. "Those rumours drive my father up the walls."

She frowned. "You take a lot of pleasure in annoying your father, don't you?"

"Quite," he easily agreed. Turning away from her, he returned to the rest of his clothes still lying spread on a stone.

When he'd ignored her for a full minute, she moved closer to him, stopping a few feet away.

"You still didn't answer my question," she pointed out, watching as he buttoned his waistcoat.

His head jerked up, and he gave her an amused look. "Which question do you want answered?"

She made a vague motion towards the pond. "What made you feel in need of cool water?" She knew she shouldn't ask something so indecent. If it was anyone other than Jacob, she never would have. It would scandalise most other men to hear her speak of these things, but she was curious.

"Do you really want to know?" he asked, taking the steps that separated them, his eyes a shade darker than before. Raising his hands, he placed them on her shoulders, the touch warm and inviting. "I suspect you don't."

The dark look in his eyes made her stomach lurch. She shook her head. "I don't. It's none of my concern."

He remained silent for a moment, but his gaze travelled across her face, and she wasn't sure what to make of it. The grip on her shoulders was steady, but not hard and definitely not painful. She could easily move away if she wanted to, she just wasn't sure she did. His eyes fastened on her lips, and without thinking she wet them with her tongue, her mouth suddenly dry. For a moment his grip on her shoulders tightened, then he abruptly let her go and took a few steps back.

"Go back to Holcombe," he muttered. "I think it's best for both of us if you go now, before I do something we'll both regret."

"I don't understand," she said hesitantly. "One moment we are joking, and the next you are sending me away."

He groaned, running a hand through his hair, still wet from his swim. "Hell, Jessica..." His voice almost sounded pained. "I'm trying to do the right thing here."

When she only stared at him, he closed his eyes for a moment, and when he opened them again, they burned hotly. "I desire you," he admitted hoarsely. "I bloody well shouldn't, but I do. The woman my father wants to marry! There's obviously no end to my depravation. Please... I never wish to speak of this again."

She blinked, wondering for a moment if she'd heard him correctly. He desired her? When he turned back to his horse, his hands gripping the saddle a little tighter than necessary, she finally remembered his request and walked away. Too shocked to stay. She could hear him curse softly behind her as she continued towards Holcombe Hall. Jacob desired her? She sighed. That piece of knowledge was not helping her feelings towards him. Not in the least.

It changed little else. No matter how she felt about him, he was a terrible match. A rake who had vowed never to marry. Not that she wanted to marry a rake, anyway. She had little doubt any rake would continue his debauched ways exactly the same as before if married. It wasn't what she wanted from marriage.

They would just have to stay away from each other. The last thing either of them wanted was to succumb to this attraction. She swallowed. Surely that wouldn't be too difficult?

Jacob didn't return to the manor for several hours. He simply couldn't fathom facing Jessica. He had never planned to let her know how much he desired her, nor how much it bothered him, and now that he had, he wasn't sure he could look at her without embarrassment. Not used to sharing his feelings, he always felt at a disadvantage when someone knew how he felt. Especially when he didn't want them to know.

By the time he returned to Holcombe, they had already served dinner, so he took a bath and had the cook send something to his room. Once he'd finished the tray, he went to the library to get a glass of brandy. To his dismay, he found his father sitting in one of the comfortable chairs with a glass of his own and a book in his lap. Obviously, the man could read without help.

"Shouldn't you have Lady Jessica helping you with the reading? Your poor eyesight and all," he asked sarcastically as he took out another glass from the cupboard and sat down across from his father.

"I don't want to bother her," the duke said dismissively without looking up from the book. "I am sure she is still weary after the party."

Jacob poured some brandy from a bottle on the table between them and took a sip. "I'm sure she wouldn't mind," he said, hating the bitter quality to his voice.

"I am sure she wouldn't," his father agreed. "She is a rather remarkable and lovely woman."

Hearing the words from his father's mouth did something to his chest. It was as if something heavy pushed down on it, making it harder to breathe. "About that letter..." he started hesitantly, and the other man finally looked up from the book.

"Yes?" he queried when Jacob didn't continue.

"What... What are you planning?"

"Oh." The duke put a bookmark on the page and closed the book before looking at him. "I have been giving it some consideration, and I have concluded that I should propose to the lady when the opportunity arises. I should not wish to see her snatched up by another man before I get the chance to."

"Forget I asked." Jacob stood. "I don't want to hear about it."

"No? Very well, then. Aren't you going to finish your brandy?" the duke asked when Jacob started walking towards the door.

"No," he answered tersely, then turned around and went back to the table. Grabbing the brandy bottle and leaving the glass behind on the table, he then quickly left the library. On second thought, some brandy seemed like an excellent idea. A lot of brandy sounded even better.

~~~~~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

61.2K 1.2K 21
"There are two sides to every coin, the head and the tail. You, sir, are certainly the latter." Madelyn Basset, the Duke of Hastings's little sister...
31K 4.4K 23
It's the 2020's but Annie La Fontaine has one simple wish: to go back to a time when romance was a little more civilised, like her fav Victorian-era...
4.5M 199K 36
"Deliciously captivating! It's the perfect amount of laughs, love and drama. You won't be able to put this book down!" - Grace K @ HQ. When Agatha be...
Eleanor's Desire By Hi

Historical Fiction

10K 974 46
Lady Eleanor Windsor believed her life would be one of fairytales, living the perfect life she had been born in. The princess. The perfect lady. She...