The Billionaire & I

Від dami241

Rewritten and completed✔ Ophelia Duhamels knows what rock bottom is and vows to never hit it again after gett... Більше

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45.
46.
47.
48.
49.
Epilogue.

25.

25.6K 1.1K 156
Від dami241

"Can you blame her? You must really be dense to have allowed her roam about here freely!" Lilian turned to me angrily.

"Maybe because unlike you I don't believe everyone is trying to seduce the boss!"

"Well look where your nobility got you." She glared at me.

"Me? I believe you received some far worse insults from her." I said and her scowl deepened. "It's not my fault this place is a circus. This company needs to be endorsed for a reality show or something." I grumbled.

"As ridiculous and fictional it may seem to you, this is real life. Women like that exist, trying to sleep their way into power even if they have to use sabotage, deceit and end up ruining lives! Mr Illston is an innocent man who does not deserve any of that!" Lilian's eyes flamed with a passion that momentarily stunned me.

"I know that, goodness I've had my fair share of it these past few weeks and it's terrible people would stoop so low but not everyone is trying to do that Lilian," I exhaled, "continually castigating and judging everyone is wrong. Taylor maybe all those things but she is also right, Mr Illston is a grown man, he can handle himself."

She crossed her arms then in a matter-of-factly tone said, "that is probably the most sense I have heard you speak since our first acquaintance."

"I'll take that as a compliment." I fell back into my chair unaware when I even stood up.

"The only one you'll ever receive from me."

"One is miraculous enough."

She glanced at me then let out a small sigh. "I am not for sharing sob stories but the moment seems to call for one, does it not?"

I didn't say anything. She sat then tapped the desk.

"I started working for Mr Illston four years ago. The company was not what it is now but he and Mr Durham were very determined and full of potential." She smiled a little, probably reminiscing the old memories. "At a launch party a few months down, I caught a woman in the act of spiking Mr Illston's drink." A frown now marred her features. I frowned too, wondering what the woman had planned to do.

"You see," she sighed, "my mother, she trapped my father into marriage by getting pregnant, with me. Through the same nefarious means of drugging a drink."

A little surprised breath left my lips.

"I am sure my mother believed love would eventually come but it never did. There was only hate. I was the bane of both their existences and it was rather miserable living between such hate." She chuckled dryly.

"I'm sorry about that Lilian," I started but she waved a hand dismissively.

"In that moment, seeing that woman drug Mr Illston's drink, I was suddenly watching my own parents instead, right before their downfalls and it made me very desperate. I did not want another child brought into this world only to suffer because of the sins of their parents. From then on, I guess I made a mission out of it and because I was able to stop that woman, I began seeing Mr Illston as someone I had been able to protect and had to continue protecting rather than an employer capable of fending for himself."

I gazed at Lilian in bit of a new light. It was a surprise learning all I'd just did and I felt a little honoured she'd shared that part of her life with me. But more importantly, it helped me understand her better.

"And I know it is no excuse to castigate every one I suspect to have an ulterior motive but over the years, people got bolder in their schemes and advances. So I formulated the perfect execution plan which has worked greatly but I will admit I am sometimes rash and partial in my judgements but almost never wrong. Taylor McKenna is indeed, permit me to say, a bitch. I am definitely not wrong in that. The woman clearly suffers from psychological problems."

I smiled at that. Taylor was definitely something.

"We may have to bar her from entry next time. Imagine her insinuating I have a thing for Mr Illston? Absolutely ridiculous and uncouth."

I raised a hand to cover the smile that formed on my lips again. Even Taylor probably knew the only feelings Lilian had towards William were those of an overbearing older sister although she was younger.

"Thank you Lilian, for sharing."

"Unnecessary," she waved her hand dismissively again then stared at me pointedly. "Now Miss Duhamels, for the sake of formalities I have to ask and very bluntly too, do you want to sleep with Mr Illston?"

"Not at all."

"I still do not trust you," she eyed me skeptically.

"Wouldn't even dream of it." I chuckled.

"Mr Illston is a grown man and can do what he wishes, as can you of course. But harbouring those kind of feelings for your boss never ends well. I discovered that much from the Association of Secretaries. Dreamers, the lot of them. Well get to work. No slacking." She patted the desk then stood and crossed into her office. I stared at the files in front of me.

"Lilian, about that scandal—" I set about saying, raising my voice a bit so she could hear me.

"Mr Illston said to forget all about it and I have. So no more funny business Miss Duhamels."

"Okay." I murmured and returned my gaze to my desk. The truth now gnawed at me as my desktop screen loaded. I hadn't been completely honest with Lilian in response to her last question. I hadn't been completely honest with myself either. If I had, I wouldn't still be thinking of said boss in all the wrong ways Lilian would certainly disapprove of.

***

"You don't seem as happy to see me as I expected," William mused as I dropped sketches of a microchip on his desk.

"You left me with Lilian for four whole days," I folded my arms across my chest, "and when am I even ever happy to see you?"

"I thought the animosity between you two would have been dissolved already."

"For the most part," I shrugged.

"See, I was right." He beamed proudly.

"Don't tell me you're expecting a thank you or something." I rolled my eyes.

"Fair enough." He smiled then raised the papers and dropped them again. "Are you busy tomorrow?"

"Not exactly, why?" I pulled out one of the two black visitor's chairs opposite his and sat.

"Great. We're going to Brooklyn tomorrow then. You can choose an apartment and decide when you want to move in."

"Ah yes, the apartments." I nodded in understanding. I really ended up accepting the offer. "What time?"

"Around noon, I'll come over. What about the investigations? Anything?" He leaned forward on his elbows.

"A detective came over a few days ago, asked a bunch of questions. They'll need to confirm with you, my alibi by the way. And I don't think they really have any leads about the killer yet." I sighed. "I keep wondering why. What was the motive?"

"Me too." A thoughtful expression took over his face and he absent mindedly turned a pen between his fingers. I'd barely deciphered the far off look in his eyes when he suddenly looked up. "Why did one of my managers file a complaint to HR about my PAs bullying her?"

"Bullying her?" I sputtered, "the nerve of that woman, she was the one who called me dense!"

"She called you dense?"

I saw the laugh lines forming by the sides of his eyes and immediately glared at him.

"Are you seriously laughing?" I scowled.

"I'm not," he held his hands up but his face only showed more mirth. "Want to tell me what exactly happened?"

"You can ask Lilian." I said defiantly and moved the chair back then got up.

"I want a cup of coffee," he suddenly said and my sharp gaze, had it been possible, would have burned an egg sized hole through the material of his shirt. "Please." He added with a smile so charismatic that, if I were any other woman, it would have definitely charmed me more.

"How do you like it?" I asked dully. Oddly enough, in all the past months working as his PA, this seemed to be my first time getting the basic task of making his coffee.

"My taste hasn't changed over the years," he smiled and I coughed. We were still talking about coffee right?

"I've told you before, I don't have such irrelevant details in my head anymore."

He shook his head, "if you had actually checked the likes and dislikes email Lilian sent, you would know I like my coffee black."

"I did check." I mumbled. I didn't. Not after that night of the gala anyway.

On my way to the kitchen to make the stupid coffee, I admitted to the farce I'd just put up. Checking Lilian's email wasn't necessary for me to know William's coffee preference. I remembered it quite well. It was afterall, the same wretched coffee he accidentally spilled all over me the cursed day we first met years ago.

In the kitchen, I made small idle talk with Zelda, a branch manager, as the coffee brewed. I also mulled over random things; calling my friends at D&L, meeting up with Demi, Debbie's wedding which was coming up soon(her numerous reminder texts left no room for forgetting really), calling my parents and not calling my sister.

Ten minutes later and it was ready. Walking back to William's office, I was still mulling over some random thoughts when I rounded the corner and unexpectedly collided into someone, spilling the hot coffee all over them.

"Shit, sorry!" I cursed seeing the mess. And of course, the unlucky person just had to be William.

"I've always known you were out to get me but using such a dejavu moment." His smile was awry. My hands moved to pat his shirt but he winced and I remembered the coffee had been really hot.

"What have you done now? I swear I am going to lose hair because of you." Lilian rushed over.

"It's fine. Just help me get another shirt," he paused looking down, "and pants as well."

Lilian nodded but before leaving sent an accusatory glare my way. Well, there goes our truce.

"Let's go." I pulled William's hand and quickly led the way to the restrooms. I locked the doors then faced him. "Does it hurt? Do you have a burn?"

"Is that actual concern?"

"I'm not the wicked witch of the west William," I glowered and moved to grab paper towels.

"No, you're much more wicked. Ow." He groaned as I pressed the paper towel against his chest with more force than was needed. "My point exactly."

Wearing a little triumphant smile, I continued dabbing at the shirt. My hands descended, unknowingly nearing his nether regions.

"Your assault on me has no end does it?" He tsked and my cheeks, ever ready to betray me, filled with blood. I quickly removed my hands.

"Just take off your shirt, the stain is getting dry."

He grinned but listened and unbuttoned the shirt and took it off. The sight of his reddened chest made me grimace.

"Are you sure it doesn't hurt?" My fingers slowly traced the redness.

"It doesn't." His hand moved over mine, stilling my movement. Freeing my hand from his hold, I collected the shirt and held it under the tap, rinsing away as much coffee as could leave. The other tap came on and I watched from the corners of my eyes as he wiped his bare torso clean then dry with some paper towels. Were restrooms always this stuffy?

"A dry cleaner will probably do a better job." I dropped the shirt on the slab.

"Probably," he smiled.

"Well not probably, I mean certainly. They'll certainly do a better job than I did. With detergent and all."

"Am I imagining it or are you blabbing right now?"

"Blabbing?" I scoffed, "why would I be blabbing? It's just you."

"Exactly, it's just me," he stepped closer and faced me, "yet, you're blushing."

"I am not," my hands flew to my cheeks.

His hands covered mine, "you are."

"I am not." I removed my hands from my face and his fell away as well, taking away the momentary warmth too. He suddenly smiled like he knew something I didn't.

"I'm not done avenging myself for last week." He leaned down, placing his hands against the sink and trapping me in. Our gazes locked. I wondered just how blue my eyes were at the moment.

"If you are going to remain petty, then we have a very long list of scores to settle."

"The list is indeed long," his eyes slowly and deliberately lowered to my lips then back up to maintain contact with my eyes again. I could hear the sound of my heart beating faster now. One of his hands moved tucking a stray lock of hair behind my ear. My hand, clearly no longer under my control, went up to his shoulder pulling him closer.

One more move would seal the deal.

"Sir, I am back with the shirt and pants."

***

I know you guys missed me and I missed you all too!❤❤❤ I'm done with my exams! Woohoo!! Thank you for all the good luck messages, muah! Since I'm done, I guess you know what that means; yes we're are back baby!

I hope you loved this chapter! It's the 25th btw, that's an awesome milestone! Love you all❤🙌🏾

Don't forget to vote, comment and share everywhere!!!

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

53.7K 2.9K 50
[Complete] A NEW enemies to lovers, office romance. 🔥 Rated R for mature sexual content and graphic language • 18+ *** Two rivaling company presiden...
584K 14.9K 42
I looked at his eyes and put up a strong face. His eyes bore into mine as much as mine into his. It was like he could read my mind and reach out to m...
216K 8.3K 41
"Don't be rude Brat", the jerk husband of mine whispered in my ears. I rolled my eyes but my temper was rising and rising. "You can't wait to kill me...
614K 23.7K 35
Getting married to the person you loathe is the worst nightmare ever. But for Leona Wilbrose, this nightmare came true when she was forced into a mar...