Spin The Bottle

By Ebby_writes

It all started with a kiss during the game of spin the bottle. * When Stephanie Valentine - a wallflower who... More

Synopsis
01 | Senior Year
02 | It's Just a Party
03 | The Party
04 | Spin the Bottle
05 | Hair Cut
06 | Hazel
07 | Poison Ivy
08 | Emily
09 | What Party?
10 | Distraction
11 | It's Her
12 | Cute Dog
13 | Soon-to-be Boyfriend
14 | A Date?
15 | Those Bitches
16 | Brody!
17 | Detention
18 | Twenty Questions
19 | Frozen
20 | Babysitting
21 | I Like Her
22 | Shrek
23 | Debbie Downers
24 | Threat
25 | Dump Her Ass
26 | Acting Strange
27 | Old Lady
28 | La Vida Loca
29 | First Time?
30 | Truth or Dare
31 | Makeover
32 | Psychotic Ex
33 | The Deal
34 | Suspended
35 | Lie
36 | Truth
37 | I Love You
38 | Apologies
39 | She's Pretty
40 | Feelings
41 | Tell Her
42 | I Like You
43 | We're Dating
44 | Out of Her Head
45 | I Miss Him
46 | Master of Kisses
Not an Update
47 | Anxious
49 | Boyfriend?
50 | Yes
51 | Barbie Girl
52 | Promise

48 | Happy Birthday

4.3K 177 28
By Ebby_writes

Chapter Forty Eight: Happy Birthday

Chris awakes to the sound of his phone ringing. He stirs on his bed and hopes the annoying sound stops. He sighs in relief when it does, only for him to groan when it starts again.

"Oh God!" He mutters as he reaches over to get his phone from the nightstand. He stares at the screen and rolls his eyes when he sees that it's a FaceTime call from none other than Jason. He considers declining it but knowing Jason he would just keep calling. Jason's face appears after he answers it. He has always been the first one to wish him on his birthday among his friends.

"Happy happy happy happy birthday. Happy happy happy happy birthday. Happy happy happy happy birthday. Chris, I wish you a happy--"

"Do you have to sing?" Chris interrupts his singing. "Do you have to torture me with your awful singing voice this lovely morning?"

Jason glares at him through the screen. "You're an asshole. You think everyone can sing like you, huh? You're a jackass, dude. I can't believe we're gonna be brothers." Jason grumbles, feigning anger with so much seriousness that you'd think he means it.

They stare at each other for a few seconds before bursting into laughter. Jason was just joking and they both know it.

"You really have a terrible singing voice though," Chris points out.

"Trust me, I know. Piper doesn't fail to remind me every time I sing. But luckily for me, she's not so great either so we just tease each other about it," Jason chuckles.

"You're really happy with her," Chris states.

"Yeah, she makes me happy. More than Hayley did."

"I'm glad."

"Anyways, Happy Birthday, dude. Hope all your wishes come true today."

"Thanks."

"You're welcome. But have it in mind that when we eventually become brothers, I'd wake you with a bucket of cold water on your birthday." Jason informs him with a grin.

Chris chuckles. "I'm looking forward to it."

"I have a present for you. You'll get it soon. So how does it feel to be 18....."

After ending the call with Jason, Chris gets a call from Max too and messages from some girls he doesn't even know. He always wonders how they got his number. It might forever be a mystery to him.

After dropping his phone, Chris kneels down beside his bed and says a quick prayer of Thanksgiving to God. He has never been a religious guy but he believes it's only right to thank his creator for adding another year to his years on Earth. He heads into his bathroom to brush his teeth after and then proceeds downstairs for breakfast. He meets his mum and Emily in the kitchen and on sighting him, Emily immediately jumps into his arms.

"Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you, big bro. Happy birthday to you," Emily sings.

Chris laughs and their mum grins.

"Happy birthday to the best big brother in the world!" Emily exclaims in excitement.

Chris hugs her wholeheartedly and then ruffles her hair. "Thank you to the best little sister in the world."

"I have a present for you," Emily announces before getting out of his arms and hurrying off to get it.

Chris watches her go before looking at his mum who is setting a plate of French toast on the kitchen island.
"Hmm... that looks and smells delicious, mum."

"It's all for you, big guy." His mum says as she sets a cup of hot cocoa with whip cream beside the plate of deliciousness.

Chris stares at his breakfast like it's the most breathtaking sight he has ever seen. "Thank you so much, mum. You're the best."

She spreads her arms for a hug and he steps into her arms and hugs her.
"You have no idea how grateful I am to have you as my son, Christopher Gregory Hayes. Every birthday is just a reminder that you're no longer a little boy. You're growing up way too fast."

"Mum, I'm only Eighteen," Chris cuts in.

"I know. You're no longer the little boy that always ran away in fear whenever you saw a doll or stuffed animal."

Chris pulls away from his mum with a flustered look on his face. He sights Emily with a gift box in her hands, trying to stiffen her giggles but she fails.

"I think you're just trying to embarrass me this morning."

His mum grins, "I'm not. You were really adorable and little then but now, you're all grown up and will be heading off to college next year. And it'd just be Emily and I." She ends with a sigh.

'You'll have Jason's dad by your side too,' Chris wants to say but he stops himself.

He stares at his mum and sees that she's getting sad and her eyes are already glossy with tears.

"Mum....." He begins to say but she interrupts.

"You need to make a wish..."

"I know, mum. It's my birthday. It's supposed to be a joyful day. Please don't be sad. Don't think about me leaving yet. I'm not even done with high school yet. Be happy and enjoy the time we're spending together now." Chris tells her softly.

Kate nods. "You're right. I don't know what's wrong with me."

"Nothing's wrong with you, mum. I love you so much."

"I love you too, my baby. Just give me a sec to get ahold of myself."

Chris smiles and remembers Emily is still standing there with his present. He looks at her and she gives him a sad smile.

"Hey munchkin. What's in there?" He asks. He knows she's probably thinking about him going off to college and he doesn't want her to.
The thought vanishes from her head as Chris asked the question.

"It's your birthday present from me," she smiles as she moves closer.

"Can I have it now?"

"Nope. You have to blow out your birthday candles and make a wish before I give it to you."

Just in time, his mum places his cake on the island and grins. She lights the candles.

"You didn't have to buy one, mum. I could have baked one myself."

"I wanted to. Now, make a wish and blow out the candles."

Chris smiles and closes his eyes. Instead of wishing something for himself, like that Steph likes him back -- he doesn't. He wishes that his mum and Emily find happiness and never get heartbroken again. Then he blows out the candles.

His family cheers and he laughs. Emily hands him the gift box and he goes to open it but she stops him.
"Open it later."

Chris looks at her suspiciously before turning to his mum. "Did you get this for her?"

"Nope. I have no idea what's in there. She just asked me to help her wrap it without checking what's inside." His mum replies.

"Uhm... Okay."

"I have a present for you too. Let me go get it," their mum announces before walking away.

"Can I eat the whole cake if I want to?" Emily asks.

Chris stares at her as if she has lost her mind. "No!"

***

Stephanie wakes up with a smile on her face because it's a lovely morning to her. She visits the washroom before heading to Brody's room to see if he's awake. Just as she expected,  Brody is sprawled on his bed still fast asleep and unconscious to what's going on around him. Stephanie walks up to his bed and is just about to tap him when an idea pops into her head. She exits his room slowly and heads for the kitchen. It's quiet and she doesn't find anyone in the living room and kitchen so she concludes that her parents haven't come down yet. Once in the kitchen, she gets a glass and fills it with cold water from the fridge. After which she begins the journey back to Brody's room. She knows he wouldn't like what she's about to do -- not one bit. Nobody would want someone to wake them up by dumping a glass of cold water on them, especially not in winter. But she doesn't really care about the consequences. It's Brody. What's the worst he can do?

She tiptoes back into his room and positions the glass of cold water over his head. She does a countdown in her head and tints the glass causing the water to pour on  his face.

Brody jolts awake in shock. His eyes zero in on Stephanie when his morning fuzzy brain realises what has happened.
He glares at her menacingly. "You're so dead!"

Before he's out of his bed, Steph is already heading out of his room with a very excited look on her face and an empty glass cup; still in her fuzzy SpongeBob pajamas. She hurries down the stairs with Brody not far behind, trailing her. She goes round the couches in the living room, trying to avoid him as he keeps trying to catch her. They somehow end up in the kitchen and he still hasn't caught her. She quickly drops the glass cup and keeps running around. Due to the ruckus they're making, their parents head downstairs.

"What's going on here?" Their Dad demands.

"It's.... It's Brody. He doesn't want to leave me alone," Steph manages to answer in-between breaths and giggles.

"What did you do?" Their mum asks.

"Nothing!"

"I wouldn't call dousing me with freezing water nothing," Brody comments.

Their parents look at each other as if telling the other, "Look at your children." They shake their heads, smile and head back upstairs to brush their teeth. The siblings continue their Chase and somehow end up on the snow covered driveway. Stephanie throws the first snowball and that's how a snowball fight began. After throwing snowballs around for a while, they make a snowman before deciding to get back into the house before freezing their asses off.

As they both laugh at each other about playing out in the cold in just their pajamas, Steph's eyes land on the wall clock and her eyes widen.
"Crap!"

"What is it?"

"I need to get ready. I'm going to see someone," Steph replies. She had actually planned to be out of the house by now but she got carried away.

"And you're late?"

"Not really. The person doesn't know I'm coming."

"Is it the same--"

"Yes," Steph interrupts him, knowing exactly want he wants to ask. She hurries to her room before he can ask anymore questions.

After getting ready, she gets what she needs which includes Chris' present in a gift bag. She finds everyone at the kitchen table about to have breakfast but she doesn't join them. She'll just have it with Christopher.

"Going somewhere?" Her dad asks.

"Yeah. I'm going to see someone. It's their birthday today."

"Can't it wait? You haven't even had breakfast," her mum comments.

"No, it can't."

Her dad narrows his eyes. "Who's this person that you're skipping breakfast for? Is it a boy?"

"Can't talk now. I have to go," Steph announces.

"Do you need a ride?" Brody asks.

"No, I'm good. Thanks. Enjoy your breakfast. Bye."

They all watch her head out before her dad comments. "We need to find out who this 'person' is. I'm getting suspicious."

***

Steph stands on the porch of Chris' house with the gift bag in hand. She takes a deep breath and reaches over to press the doorbell. She thinks about something and hides the gift bag behind her before pressing the doorbell. After some seconds, the door opens to reveal Kate, Chris' mum.

"Stephanie! What a surprise. I'm so glad to see you," Kate says as she hugs her. She notices the gift bag and grins. "I see you've brought a present for my baby."

Steph nods and looks into the house to check if Chris is near.
"Can you do me a favour?" She whispers.

"Sure."

"Can you put this in Chris' room after we leave," Steph pleads.

"Why don't you want to give it to him yourself?"

"Nothing."

Kate narrows her eyes and smirks. " Is it something you're embarrassed to give him? Maybe something sexy?" She wiggles her eyebrows dramatically.

Steph blushes in embarrassment. "No, no. It's nothing like that. I just want to surprise him, that's all."

"Oh really...."

Steph groans.

Kate laughs. "I'm just messing with you. I'll do it."

"Thanks." Steph hands it over as Kate lets her in.

"Where's Emily and Chris?" Steph questions after entering.

"Mum, who was....." Emily trails off as she walks into the living room. Emily is just about to scream in excitement but Steph motions to her not to so she restricts herself.

Emily runs into her arms and hugs her tightly. After pulling away, she asks, "You're here because it's Chris' birthday, right?"

Steph nods.

"He'll be so happy," Emily comments and Steph smiles.

***

After chatting with Emily for a moment, Stephanie follows Kate's direction to Chris' room. She knocks twice but he doesn't answer so she slowly opens the door. She finds the room empty and takes tentative steps in. The first time she notices is how neat and organized his room is. Even her own room isn't as organized as this.

He's a clean freak, she muses.

Before she can probably focus on the details of his room, she hears a sound and the door to his bathroom opens and Chris walks out. He has a towel tied around his waist and he's using another to dry his hair. Their eyes meet and they both freeze.

Chris blinks twice because he believes he's thinking about her too much to the point that he's hallucinating; but she's still standing there.

"Hazel?" He voices out in disbelief.

She doesn't answer. She just stares because it's the first time she's seeing him shirtless and damn! He looks hotter right now. His wet hair, exposed abs and everything possible is contributing to him looking a lot hotter right now.

Is it just her or is it hot in here?

"Hazel?" Chris calls again and that gets her out of the trance she seems to be in.

"Uhm.... I'm just gonna go. I'll wait in the living room," she mutters and hurries out.

Steph stops at the top of the stairs.
He must have noticed the way you were checking him out. You were probably drooling. Geez! Her subconscious says. She tries to compose herself before descending the stairs.

Chris watched her walk out of his room before realising what just happened was real. Hazel was just in his room for real and she practically ran out.

Why did she run? Chris wonders as he gets ready. She probably ran because she couldn't stand how hot he looked. Chris chuckles at the thought. He keeps wondering why she's here as he gets ready. He checks his reflection in the mirror more than three times before leaving his room. He finds her laughing with Emily in the living room.

"Hazel, what are you doing here?"

"Why hello to you too, Chris." Steph rolls her eyes.

Chris smiles and she does too.
"We're going somewhere," Steph informs him.

"We are?" Chris asks in bewilderment.

"Yes, we are."

"Where?"

"You'll know when we get there."

A moment later, they're leaving. Steph enters the driver's seat of Chris' car since she insisted that she must drive. Chris reluctantly gets into the passenger's seat and Steph begins to drive.

A/N: I'm so sorry for the long wait. School is sucking inspiration out of me. I know nothing big happened in this chapter but the next one will be better, I promise. Where do you think Steph is taking Chris to?

Thanks for reading <3.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.2K 484 58
There are three things Kaitlin should know: 1. Do NOT test the new bad boy 2. Do NOT keep in contact with the bad boy 3. And Do NOT and I repeat DO...
317K 11.1K 71
Moving to a new town is not easy, especially when you're not good at making friends. Then you add in the popular guy from next door that you're force...
899 71 17
Fletcher Pierce- Athlete, high school heart throb, basically Channing Tatum in teenage boy form. He plays football and runs track, and he's stylish...
9K 473 9
Shanay and Link have been the best of friends since the day he moved next door at the beginning of high school. Link had come to love Shanay more tha...