The Academy

By orendawrites

BOOK ONE || the city lights series Adina Ricci is the daughter of two of the most famous people on the planet... More

Introductions
Aesthetics & Other Info
Prologue
Chapter One || see you later
Chapter Two || green eyes
Chapter Three || roommates
Chapter Four || unpacking
Chapter Five || can't breathe
Chapter Six || adina fucking ricci
Chapter Seven || fine line
Chapter Eight || looking
Chapter Nine || chaos
Chapter Ten || friends?
Chapter Eleven || what i expected
Chapter Twelve || smiley faces
Chapter Thirteen || movie night
Chapter Fourteen || nerves
Chapter Fifteen || kiss me
Chapter Sixteen || fuck it up
Chapter Seventeen || close
Chapter Eighteen || j and v
Chapter Nineteen || reunited
Chapter Twenty || not going to give up
Chapter Twenty-One || falling
Chapter Twenty-One || bonus chapter
Chapter Twenty-Three || daddy issues
Chapter Twenty-Four || i'm here
Social Media || teagan & caspian's birthday
Chapter Twenty-Five || picnic date
Chapter Twenty-Six || winners
Chapter Twenty-Seven || making plans
Chapter Twenty-Eight || getaway
Chapter Twenty-Nine || chill out
Chapter Thirty || everything
Chapter Thirty-One || only a dream
Chapter Thirty-One || bonus chapter
Chapter Thirty-Two || ew
Chapter Thirty-Three || calm
Social Media || the drama
Chapter Thirty-Four || everything i said
Chapter Thirty-Five || never forgive me
Chapter Thirty-Six || gone
Chapter Thirty-Seven || memories
Chapter Thirty-Eight || freeze
Chapter Thirty-Nine || the auction part one
Chapter Forty || the auction part two
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter || six years later
Bonus Chapter || two years later
Bonus Chapter || ten years later

Chapter Twenty-Two || when you're ready

21.2K 574 166
By orendawrites

WHEN I WAKE UP the next morning, it's from a movement coming from behind me. My eyes slowly start to open. I have to blink rapidly so my eyes can adjust properly to the bright light of the morning sun coming from the slightly open curtains.

I bring my hands up to rub the sleep out of my eyes, yawning as I stretch out my half-asleep body when I feel something move behind me on the bed. How did I get on a bed?

The last thing I remember was watching a movie with everyone in the living room. Knowing me, I probably fell asleep and was carried up to my room at the end of the night.

When my arms come back down to my sides, I realize that a big arm is hugging my waist into a body. I smile to myself, knowing who is behind me just from the butterflies I get from their touch.

I promptly turn around in his arms to find a sleeping Vaughn.

His hair is all over the place, messy from sleep, while his face looks so calm in his sleeping state. I bring my arms around his shoulders to bring him closer to me, which makes him lowly groan, signaling he's waking up.

The corners of my lips lift when his grip around me tightens, bringing my head to his chest while he snuggles into me. How is he this perfect even in his sleep?

"Good morning." I barely hear his hoarse voice. It brings a small smile to my face and I pull away from his chest so I can look at him more clearly.

His eyes are slightly closed, still in a sleepy state, with an equally exhausted smile.

"Morning." I press my forehead against his.

"You excited for tonight?" He asks after a beat of comfortable silence.

"Yeah, you?"

"As long as you're there with me, yeah." I push him away from me, turning over on my back with a smile on my face. "What?"

"Stop being so... mushy." My face scrunches up in slight disgust and amusement.

"Well, I mean it." He traces my jawline with his finger, tilting my head up so I'm looking at him. "I've been going to these parties for years, it gets boring. But this year, I have you."

"So I'm only here for your entertainment." I retort jokingly, making him chuckle.

"Yeah." I hit his chest playfully, "what? You're very entertaining, Ricci." I roll my eyes, shaking my head with a small smile.

After a second of silence, I begin to speak again while Vaughn runs his fingers along my hand. "You seem close with Debbie and Stephen." He hums, nodding his head.

"I spent a lot of time here when we were kids. They're basically like my second family." I look at him as I start to play with his small, hoop earring.

"When I didn't want to go home for the holidays, they let me stay here. No questions asked. They even let me bring Jules if she wasn't already staying at a friend's house."

"Why wouldn't you want to go home?" His body stiffens and I realize that I probably should have thought more carefully before speaking.

He sighs, falling back into the bed and lifting his head to rest on his arm. He brings me closer by hugging me to his chest.

"Dad used to get mad at us for... stupid things." I frown, my eyebrows scrunching up. "He would say that we had to be perfect. Perfect appearances. Perfect grades. Perfect attitudes. Perfect life." Vaughn scoffs, shaking his head in despair. "Because if we were seen as nothing but flawless..." he turns to look at me, "we could beat 'our enemies'."

"Enemies? Meaning my father." He nods, frowning. "Well, I'm glad you have people like Debbie and Stephen in your life. But..." I trail off, wondering if I should ask the next question. "...what about your Mom?"

A small smile appears on his face, and my whole body relaxes.

"Mom always tried to protect Julie and me from Dad. But as I got older, she got weaker and weaker. So, now I'm the one that has to protect them both, I guess. When I'm not home, I get worried, 'cause that means that it's just Dad and her at home. Alone."

"What do you mean by protect, Vaughn?" Concern etches on my face. He sucks in a sharp breath as he looks up to the ceiling.

"I–I don't wanna talk about it right now." He shakes his head, his voice turning into a panicked tone. I turn his face to look at me, worry in his eyes.

"Hey, hey. It's okay. Tell me when you're ready." He looks at me for a split second before nodding to himself.

I pull his head to the crook of my neck, which makes him wrap his arms around my waist. My fingers run through his messy hair while his runs inside my cami top, making me shiver from the touch.

"I want you to trust me, Vaughn. But if you don't feel comfortable sharing something with me, it's okay. I can wait." He pulls away from me, his arms still around my waist.

"It's not that I don't want to tell you, it's just that..."

"You're not ready." He nods, closing his eyes. "Come here." I put my arms out as if to tell him to hug me, and he does after laughing at me with an amused expression.

We stay like that for the rest of the morning, wrapped in each other's arms while we ask each other random questions about the other.

He didn't talk about his father while I chose not to talk about Mom. But we knew that one day, we would have to open up. However, today wasn't that day.

And we both feel at peace knowing that.

"Hey, I wanna see!" Chase whines into my ear as I continue to take pictures of him and Teagan.

We've all gotten ready for the party and are now outside, in the back garden, taking pictures and pre-drinking before everyone gets here.

"Chase! Get back over there, I'm not finished yet." I push the pouting boy over to his amused-looking girlfriend, who then throws her arms around his neck and kisses his cheek, lovingly. They're so cute.

As I continue to tap the capture button on Teagan's phone, taking multiple photos at a time to get the candids she wants, I feel someone slither their hands around my waist. They put their head on my shoulder from behind me, and I smile to myself.

"Tea put you on picture duty?" I hum, making Vaughn chuckle. "Thank god it's not me."

I turn my head slightly to look at him, narrowing my eyes. "Sorry. But you're gonna be doing that for a while. Don't worry though, I'll keep you company." He cutely states, kissing my neck which makes me giggle as I go back to taking photos for the couple.

"I like what you're wearing by the way. You look gorgeous." My neck muffled his voice, but it was still loud enough for me to hear, and I feel my cheeks heat up. "You remembered my favorite color." He smugly says, swaying my hips as he hugs me into his chest.

I'm wearing a red, body con dress with regular white sneakers. And yes, knowing that red was his favorite color did play a role in my choosing this dress for tonight.

"Glad you noticed." I slyly smile as Teagan and Chase make their way to us, taking their phones from me before walking back into the house.

He turns me around by my hips, so I'm facing him. A boyish grin plastered on his face while I bring my hands up to go around his neck and pull myself closer to him so we're now chest to chest.

"Of course I noticed." His grin only widens as he tucks a strand of my curled hair behind my ear. "Now kiss me." He exaggeratedly puckers his lips at me, closing his eyes. Making me laugh.

"Ew." He feigns a hurt expression, his jaw dropped and his eyes narrow. Making me giggle, even more, throwing my head back.

"You're mean." He huffs like a child.

"Awww, you poor thing." I teasingly pout, squeezing his cheeks with one hand. "I'm sorry, little man baby." I lean in and he meets me halfway, crashing his lips onto mine.

He runs his hand up to the back of my neck, grabbing my hair as I grip his baby hair, which makes him groan.

Once we pull away from each other, his hair is all messed up and his lips are red and swollen from the passionate kiss.

"Get a room!" Eris exclaims from the other side of the garden, making everyone around her laugh in amusement. I turn slightly and stick my tongue out at her playfully.

Vaughn pulls my face to him and puts his lips on mine, urgently. Smiling into the kiss, we pull away laughing at a frowning Eris. Vaughn shrugs, making me giggle even more as I curl my head into his neck, putting my arms around his torso.

"You're so annoying." I hit his chest as he pulls my head from his neck.

"Yeah, but so are you." He bops my nose with his, making me narrow my eyes at him. "That's what makes us perfect for each other."

❀❀❀

hey guys,
long time no see :)

university has been crazy so far
so that's why i haven't been writing
all that often.

please forgive me <33
hope you enjoyed
see you guys next time.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

279K 5.7K 78
And we're back! But this time we're looking into the lives of the younger siblings: Alyssa Phoenix, Julianna and Jade Ramirez, and their best friend...
458K 9K 51
Nathan Kingston has been forgotten by the world. A dad that fucked off when he was young and a mother gone days at a time with work he feels alone. E...
1.5K 138 40
|Complete| After a holiday of many hook ups, many drunken nights and very bad decisions, Olivia has successfully ruined all her relationships with he...
60.2K 2.4K 77
When college student Brandy Bright's charming, but toxic best friend, Benji, asks her to move in with him, she has to decide if making a move on her...