New Horizon [Morganville]

By pastaqueen

The Morganville Vampires fanfiction. New Horizon fanfic series book one out of three. Completed. Morganvill... More

A Note From The Author
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty-Two

1.7K 22 10
By pastaqueen

Claire had honestly being looking forward to sleeping in on Saturday, relishing in the warmth of Shane's presence. Of course, her boss was a psychotic vampire that needed her help every freaking day off she had. So, she groggily got out of bed, pressing a light kiss to Shane's forehead, as he lay fast asleep in her bed. She wrote him a quick note, telling him that she would be back in ten minutes and not to worry. Then again, her boss was a lunatic, so maybe she should have told Shane to worry.  

Myrnin had told her that it was an emergency that she get to the lab as soon as she could. So, she decided that she was going to piss him off by wearing her pyjamas and using the portal. She had brushed her teeth and hair of course, and used some deodorant.  

She wasn't that comfortable around Myrnin. 

She clutched onto the two ceramic mugs as she focused on Myrnin's lab. She pictured the benches, and the beakers and even the small kitchenette hidden behind cabinets and bookcases. It was way too early for this. 

She stepped through the portal and squinted at the bright decorations. Myrnin had decided to clean up, and he'd added more lights around the place. Myrnin had stuck to the Steampunk theme; there was no one that could ever shake him out of that. Myrnin was rummaging around in his room, and he poked his head out to look at Claire. His head disappeared a few seconds later, and Claire rolled her eyes. She placed one of the coffee mugs on the bench and slumped into a stool.  

"You better not break this mug," Claire warned as she rested her head in her hands. She sighed. "It is way to early to be dealing with this. What do you want, anyway?"  

"Check on Bob," Myrnin said. He sounded distracted.  

Claire groaned and slid off the stool and trudged to the other side of the lab. Bob the Spider sat in an aquarium. He stared at Claire has she approached the tank. 

"Hey Bob," Claire smiled. "What's your freaky father doing?"  

Oh God, that sounded weird. Claire shuddered at the thought of Myrnin being a father. She felt bad about that after a while, realizing that he couldn't have kids of his own. He probably didn't want them any anyway though. All of Bob's eight eyes blinked at her, and Claire pulled a face.  

Claire ran her fingers over a thick book that sat propped up against Bob's tank. She picked it up, the book feeling heavy in her hands. It was a nursery rhyme book, and it had been opened on a specific page.  

"Incy Wincey Spider?" Claire smiled. She admired the water paintings of the little black spider as he stared up at the bright sun. She placed the book back in its fixed space and she lowered herself into a nearby chair.  

She became fixated as she watched the spider spin delicate webs fashioned with intense detail and decorations. Claire raised her eyebrows as Bob sat back on the rock, watching her, as if asking if she liked his web. 

"It's very pretty Bob," Claire said. "You're a little artist." 

"Talking to a spider?" Claire yelped and jumped out of her seat. "I always knew he would drive you crazy." 

"Frank," Claire stammered. She rubbed her arms, suddenly feeling bad for wearing her pyjamas. "You scared me." 

"What are you doing here so early?" Frank looked better. His image was black and white, and apart from the nasty scar across his face, he looked maybe a little attractive. Well, for an older man anyway. He was nothing compared to Shane though. "Has the mutant got you working nights now?" 

"You shouldn't call him that," Claire said wanly. "He's not that bad." 

"'Course he isn't." He said dryly. Frank's image flickered, but stabilized almost immediately. "How's things with my son?"  

"Good." Claire smiled. She blushed when she thought about what had happened last night, and she looked down. "Um, he's good." 

"That's nice to hear," Frank looked towards Myrnin's room. Then he looked back at Claire and raised an eyebrow. "New dress code for work?"  

"I... Uh..." Claire refused to be afraid of Frank Collins. He was an ass, enough said. Claire cleared her throat. "I'm not working, actually."  

Frank nodded, deciding he didn't want to hear anymore. His image flickered again, and he drifted back. 

"Thanks for the blood by the way," Frank smiled coldly. "You taste sweet. I can understand why my son enjoys you." 

Claire wanted to vomit at that comment, and she felt herself gag on the inside.  

"Wow, um. Your welcome, I guess?" She wrapped her arms around her and took in a deep breath. "You're creepy, you know that right?" 

Frank shrugged. "I'm a dead, retired vampire-hunter turned vampire with my brain being used in a jar to keep this town running. I kind of expect to be called creepy." 

Claire blinked. "Touché."  

Frank gave her one last cold smile, before he faded away and disappeared to God knows were. He could have travelled to another dimension for all Claire knew.  

She sucked in a deep breath and picked up her coffee. Myrnin came out of his room just then. He wore a maroon vest top with black cargo pants, and of course, complete with his bunny slippers.

His ridiculous choice in outfits never failed to impress Claire.  

"Ah, Claire." Myrnin smiled at her as he placed a cardboard box on the table. "How have you been, my girl?" 

Claire frowned at him and folded her arms over her chest. 

"Fine." Claire understood what Shane had said. Myrnin would keep doing the wrong thing, and Claire would always forgive him. At least she was trying to make it seem like she was angry with him. 

And so far, it was working. Myrnin frowned and dusted soil off the workbench. He rubbed his hands against his pants and looked down, not meeting Claire's eyes. 

"Claire, I am sorry," He said. Claire tilted her head to the side, trying to get a proper glimpse of him. Myrnin's dark hair fell down his face, blocking Claire's view. "Maybe if we just -" 

"No," Claire interrupted. Myrnin looked up then, and his hair fell away from his face. Claire could already see the apologetic expression on his face. Myrnin had kissed her, he'd bitten her, and she had already forgiven him in her heart. She sighed. "It's okay. We can just forget it." 

"Forget it?" Myrnin repeated. He nodded, although it looked like he was hiding something. "Yes, forget it. We will do that." He paused and looked at Claire. "What on earth are you wearing?" 

Claire looked down at herself. She wore cotton shorts with blue polka dots on them and a black tank top.  

"My pyjamas?"  

Myrnin stared at them in horror for another several moments, before he shook his head and pulled a smaller box out from the cardboard box. He held the small box in his hand and walked up to Claire. He had an insanely large smile on his lips, and Claire frowned.  

"What the hell is in that?" Claire asked, taking a small step back. The last couple of times she had opened a box in Myrnin's lab she'd either gotten attacked with a light bomb and ended up with a wicked tan, or had gotten her hand sliced with a dagger.  

"Don't be scared," Myrnin frowned as he pushed the box into her hands. "It is completely safe to open. I swear." 

Claire frowned as she looked down at it. "What is it?" 

"It is your birthday gift." 

Claire looked back up at Myrnin. "Oh, no." She tried handing the box back to Myrnin, but he refused to take it back. "You didn't have to get me anything." 

"I didn't," Myrnin grinned. "So, open. I know that it is pretty late, but better late than never." 

Claire had gotten her presents from her friends. Eve had taken Claire out weeks before her birthday and gotten her a bunch of clothes, some a little too revealing. Michael had gotten her almost a box full of her favourite CD's, and some money.  

When Claire had lost her memory, Shane had taken her out. There had been a ring on his right hand on his fourth finger. She couldn't make out the writing, but once Claire had recovered from her memory loss Shane had shown her. It was a promise ring that read Claire Danvers in fancy writing. 

Shane's ring had been simple and silver, but he'd gotten an elegant one for Claire. Claire's ring was silver like Shane's, but hers had blue gemstones bonded into the band. Hers read Shane and Claire, and she loved it. Of course, she'd gotten other things from him, but she didn't want to think about them in front of her boss.  

Nevertheless, she wasn't expecting to get anything from Myrnin.  

She gave him an exasperated look and looked down at the box. Her fingers felt numb as she opened the small box. What lay in the case was a bracelet. The cuff of the bracelet was a beautiful bronze colour featuring a gorgeous white rose cabochon. A large, beautiful antique brass butterfly was set just opposite the flower. Matching latticework was joined around the cuff. Three stunning fire opals were decorated on a beautiful traditional pattern, and the gems glittered in the light. 

"Oh," Claire breathed as she looked down at it. "It's gorgeous." She looked up at Myrnin and shook her head. "But, I can't take it." 

Myrnin looked at her as if she were crazy, and backed away a few steps to make sure she couldn't give it back to him. 

"Gobbledygook." He said. 

Claire laughed. "What?" 

He smiled at her. "I have had that for centuries, and I didn't know what to do with it. It's yours now." 

"Mine? But, Myrnin -"

"Ah, no more. Put it on, otherwise I will be very deeply hurt." 

Claire rolled her eyes, but she carefully pulled out the bracelet and slid it onto her wrist. Myrnin was in front of her in seconds, taking her hand in his. 

"Beautiful," He said. "It looks very nice on you." 

"Uh, thank you?" Myrnin raised her hand to his mouth, and he very lightly brushed his lips over her knuckles.  

"Happy Birthday, my little Claire."

The sun had only started to peek through the windows when Claire stepped back into the Glass House. Claire placed the empty coffee cups in the kitchen sink, and she quietly tiptoed up the stairs.  

The floorboards creaked, and even though she was the only one that would have heard it, it sounded like the whole neighbourhood could hear it in this silence. She mutely pushed open her bedroom door and poked her head in. Shane was still fast asleep, and his almost soundless snores made Claire giggle. She scrunched up the unread note she had written and chucked it in the bin, and then she carefully slid back into her bed. She wrapped her arms around Shane and rested her forehead on his back. His snoring stopped, and he swallowed. Claire stopped breathing as she waited to see if he was awake. 

"You okay?" Shane murmured. Claire wasn't sure if he was really awake or if he was still asleep. Shane was known to sleep talk a little, and Claire had a firsthand experience with that. But Shane proved that he was awake when he moved a little and looked over his shoulder at Claire.  

"Sorry," Claire whispered and kissed his bare back. "I wasn't sure if you were asleep or not." 

Shane mumbled something and rolled over, wrapping his arms around Claire and pulling her close. He let out a big breath and closed his eyes. 

His voice was low and scratchy when he spoke. Claire winced. It sounded like it hurt for him to speak. 

"I'm awake. I'm talking to you." 

Claire nodded, even though his eyes were closed. She glanced at the clock that hung on the wall, only to see that it was way, way too early for Shane to be awake. She looked back to Shane, and watched him as he quietly breathed. Claire gently took his hand in hers, and laced their fingers together. Her thumb ran over the silver promise ring on his finger, and Claire looked down at it. She scooted a little closer to him, and Shane's chin rested on the top of her head.  

Claire swallowed as she gently traced the creases on Shane's knuckles. Not many people saw the gentle side of Shane. He's from the Collins family; he has a reputation to hold. Claire might be the only one that really knows everything about him.  

She sighed and laid her head on his warm chest. She kissed it once before she closed her eyes. 

She hadn't realized how tired she had really been until now. 

And she fell asleep to the sound of Shane's heartbeat.

Shane's soft cough brought Claire out of her sleepy haze.  

Claire breathed heavily and yawned. She looked up into a pit of golden-brown. Well, you know, Shane's gorgeous eyes. She stretched out her legs, and smiled. He closed on eye and gazed at Claire with the other. He looked over his shoulder at the clock. He sighed, turned back to Claire and closed his eyes. 

"Hey," Claire protested when he draped his arm over his eyes. "Wake up, sleepy head." 

"It's too early," Shane frowned and burrowed his head into Claire's stomach. She giggled and pushed his head away. 

"It's ten in the morning. I think you've slept in enough." 

"No," Shane whined and grabbed onto Claire's hand. He placed it on his head, so it covered his eyes. After a few moments of hesitation, he pulled her arm away a little and opened his eyes. His fingers traced over the bronze bracelet. "What's this?"  

Claire pulled her arm away.  

"A birthday gift." Shane raised an eyebrow, suddenly wide awake. 

"Yeah? From who?" 

Claire went quiet. "Myrnin." 

Shane groaned and rolled back over so he could dig his head into the pillow. Claire playfully bit his neck, and gently rubbed his chest. 

"It's just a birthday present, Shane." She smiled. "Besides, I think we both know that I had the most fun with your presents." 

Shane peeked at her from under the pillow, and she just caught a glimpse of his smile. He grabbed Claire's waist and sat up, pulling her close.  

He kissed her neck and rested his head on her shoulder. 

"I still don't like the way he looks at you." 

"And how does he look at me?" 

Shane was quiet for a few seconds. "The way I look at you when I want to get sexy-time on." Claire laughed and laid back down. Shane lowered himself down on top of her, and he gently kissed her on the lips.  

"You have nothing to be worried about, Shane." He shrugged. "Wait a minute. You can't be jealous?"  

He made a pinching gesture with his index finger and thumb. 

"Little bit." 

Claire smacked him across the chest and kissed him. She felt Shane sigh into her lips, and he gently nibbled on her lip. His hands roamed down her the side of her waist, and his thumbs hooked into the waistband of her pyjama shorts. Shane's stubble scratched Claire's skin wherever he kissed her. On her lips, her neck, and on her chest. Claire gasped when Shane's hand gripped onto her thigh. She wrapped her legs around his body, closing the small space between them.  

"Claire," Shane murmured huskily. "There's something I need to tell you." 

Claire kissed his neck, and rolled him over so she was on top. Her kisses trailed up to his jawbone, and back to his lips. "Claire." 

"Yeah?" Claire asked between deep breaths. 

"I need to tell you something." Shane's voice was still low, but there was a firm importance to it. An importance that made Claire stop. She lifted her head and pulled away from Shane. She moved down a little so Shane could sit up. His hands gently held the side of her stomach, and he massaged circles just below her ribs. He stayed quiet as he stared down at Claire's stomach. Claire watched him, and she could tell that he was thinking about something serious. He looked back up at her and smiled. "I love you." 

Claire raised her eyebrows. "That's not what you wanted to tell me." 

Shane's askew smile made her stomach flip and she couldn't help but smile. 

"But it's true," He lent in and kissed her. "I love you." 

Claire giggled. "I love you too. But come on, what did you want to tell me?" 

He closed one eye and lent his head on her chest. Claire ruffled his hair and pushed him back so he was lying on the bed. She lent over him and kissed his cheek. "Come on. Tell me." 

"Not the right time. Trust me, okay?" Claire sighed and traced the hard muscles on his chest. She kissed him, just above where his ribcage would be. "Claire, do you trust me?" 

Claire nodded, her auburn hair falling in her face. Shane reached out and brushed it away, tucking it behind her ear.  

"Of course I trust you." 

Shane winked at her. "I have another birthday present for you. I guess."  

Claire made a face. "No more presents." 

"Well technically, it's not a present." 

Claire frowned. "What is it?" 

Shane's wicked grin spread across his face and he rolled Claire over, and once again he was on top of her. 

"When you were cheating on the video game and Eve was distracting me, she mentioned a party. I think it's about time we get our party on and have some fun." 

Claire raised her eyebrows. "Frat guys, alcohol and drugs. You're right, seems fun." 

Shane smiled at her. "I'll protect you." 

Claire laughed and draped her arms around him. "I know you will."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.5K 506 27
The Morganville Vampires fanfiction. New Horizon fanfic series book two out of three. Completed. She's back, and she's starting a war. Naomi is hel...
8.8K 421 20
Claire is about to go to Texas Prairie University, when Amelie, the Founder of Morganville, texts her telling her to go to her office. When's she the...
894 53 16
Morgan Beckford had it all...Her hair a firey red, her eyes a jade green, and her body that of a super model. What more could a girl in her 20s desir...
624K 36.5K 60
I trembled when we entered the room. I had heard there was nothing quite like make-up sex and even experienced it once or twice with Shane. But this...