Midnight » Jacob Black

By redamncys

"In all the world, there is no heart for me like yours. In all the world, there is no love for you like mine... More

PART ONE
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
30
31
32
33
34

29

5.7K 218 94
By redamncys

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE
JUICED

It had been a few weeks since Montana and Jacob had kissed.

Despite sharing their watch shifts with the Cullen's, almost all of the pack's time was taken up by patrolling, or sleeping off their exhaustion. Sam had them on tight and rigorous schedules, which meant that Montana had barely spent longer than ten minutes alone with Jacob in weeks.

In one way, she was glad. It gave her a chance to think about the feelings between the two of them, and what their kiss meant going forwards. On the other hand, the distance was literally killing her. She missed him, painfully, and she wanted everything to go back to normal again.

Stupid vampires, always causing problems.

Victoria hadn't actually been spotted in the area for a while, but they all knew she'd be back, it was just a matter of when. Everyone was on edge, including Montana, who had been having some very strange, vivid and intense nightmares about the creatures – she did not want to go into detail about those, but she was relentlessly made fun of by Dakota.

To keep herself occupied, Montana had picked up more shifts at the diner. Diane had taken a week off to study for exams, though Dina seemed to be working whenever she possibly could. Montana thought this was funny, since Dina was actually the one with finals, and Diane had never seemed to care much about tests before. (She later found out that Dina was saving up to go on a road trip with her friends before college, so it made more sense as to why she was scrambling to get every shift possible.)

It was a refreshing change to spend time with Dina, and Montana even felt like she was making a new friend, which was nice. They had a lot more in common than she'd had initially expected, including a huge shared obsession with Destiny's Child, which meant that it naturally became a right of passage to play their songs whenever they closed up at night.

Dina had the perfect balance of work ethic and fun, so their shifts seemed to fly by, especially when they were engrossed in conversation. Montana was learning a lot about her, including that she was expecting to go to Yale after school, to study law, which was fucking awesome, and Montana was really starting to see why Quil had such a massive crush on her – Speaking of, Dina was very confused as to why she hadn't seen him for over a month now. In fact, Montana even detected a hint of disappointment, which was definitely going to tell him about.

She felt bad not being able to tell Dina anything substantial, but did promise that Quil would be back soon. Dina didn't seem entirely convinced, and, to be fair, it was warranted; Montana was quite a horrible liar, and Dina was incredibly smart, so it was natural that she'd be suspicious.

The two of them were clearing up on an, unusually quiet, Saturday night. Their normal aimless chatter had been replaced by Montana accidentally spilling that she and Jacob had kissed. It was quite a regrettable moment, since Jacob was coming to pick her up after her shift, for the first time in weeks – actually, for the first time since the kiss, so, yeah, it was understandable that Montana was a little on edge. Especially since Dina was, to put it lightly, very excited to hear about their recent romantic developments, and though she promised to "play it cool" when Jacob arrived, Montana didn't feel fully reassured. 

"I just think that it's meant to be," Dina said, her words muffled slightly by the sound of chairs being stacked. Montana subtly peered over as she wiped down the table in front of her. "I mean, your zodiac signs are very compatible."

Montana's eyebrows raised. "Our zodiac signs?"

"Yeah, you're a Taurus, he's a Pisces, right?" Dina asked, casting a brief look over at her.

Montana suppressed a small giggle. "Yeah, I think so."

"You should get into astrology," Dina then suggested. She'd disappeared behind a mountain of chairs, but Montana could just about see her dark curly hair peeking out. "It would fit, like, your whole aesthetic."

"What's my aesthetic?" Montana asked curiously.

Dina stepped out from behind the chairs with a smile. "You're very earthy."

"Is that a...good thing?" Montana questioned, straightening up from her hunched over position. She picked up the washcloth, preparing to move to the next table.

"Yes," Dina's smile grew as she watched her. "So, when Jacob picks you up, what are your plans?"

Montana chose to ignore the suggestive wiggle of eyebrows. "Probably going straight to sleep."

Dina's face lit up. "Together?"

"No!" Montana dismissed quickly. Dina laughed at her reaction, and Montana cracked a small smile. "He's always so tired from working, and so am I."

"He seems to work a lot," Dina noted.

Montana focused her attention on the tables again. "Busy time of year," she lied. "What about you?" Montana quickly changed the subject. "Plans for tonight?"

"My dads are on a weekend mini break, so I'm using the quietness to study with Sian," Dina replied. "Kind of boring, right?"

"Well, in that case, we're both having boring Saturday nights," Montana assured her.

"Yeah, but you get to spend it with your crush!" Dina pointed out, grinning over at her again. "Do you think you'll kiss?"

Oh god, she hadn't even thought about that.

"Uh, I have no idea," Montana answered. Her heart started racing. "I mean, it's all kinda confusing right now."

"You two should talk about it," Dina suggested, crossing the room towards her. Montana placed the cleaning products down on the table. "It seems like Jacob wants to, but he's just busy, and maybe also a little afraid that you don't want the same things? I mean, he's obviously had these deep feelings for you for a long time, and was really afraid of rejection. And now you've kissed, it should be the start of something but you're both hesitant on how to initiate it, and he doesn't want to pressure you in any way...But that makes you a bit unsure, and because he's busy you don't want to bother him either, so you won't instigate it."

Montana blinked. "How did you get this good a reading people?"

Dina had literally only met Jacob once. Montana had no idea how she got all that from one interaction and the small bits of information she had told her.

Dina shrugged. "I'm just perceptive," A small smile graced her lips. "And a good listener."

"Meanwhile, I'm probably the most oblivious person on the planet," Montana said despairingly.

"I think it's sweet," Dina countered. "Jacob might not appreciate it though."

They both laughed. "I mean, considering how many of his signs I've missed–"

The bell above the door rattled, prompting both girls to whirl their heads around. Montana's heart fucking leapt, panic invading her system as she presumed it was Jacob, which meant he might have heard their entire conversation. Fuck!

"Yo."

Oh, thank god.

"Hey, Sian," Dina greeted her best friend, popping her head between the stacks of chairs. "I'll be one minute."

Montana offered the girl a smile and a small wave. "Hi."

"Hey, Tana." Sian leaned her arm against the wall. "How's it going?"

Sian Reid, Dina's best friend, and Forks High's basketball star. When Montana had asked about her, Dina used the description "very cool, very talented, but very tiny and angry," which was, honestly, incredibly accurate.

Montana liked Sian a lot, especially after the one time she yelled at a customer who was relentlessly harassing Dina (she even flipped a table!) He was a serial problem causer, and complete asshole, so it was a lot of fun to finally have him thrown out. Plus, Charlie Swan was there to witness it and had him banned, which made it even better. Montana actually wondered if she should hire Sian as a personal bodyguard – she was certain even Victoria wouldn't dare mess with her.

"Good thanks," Montana replied. "You looking forward to your night of studying?"

Sian groaned, tilting her head back to look up at the ceiling. "Nope."

"Then why'd you agree?!" Dina asked with a chuckle.

"Because you promised me pizza!"

Dina laughed, and shook her head.

A pair of headlights shone through the window, temporarily blinding Montana and Sian. From the other side of the room, Dina let out a gasp, practically sprinting over in excitement to get closer to the door.

"Oh my god! Is that Jake?!"

Sian's eyebrows furrowed. "Who the fuck is Jake?"

"Montana's boyfriend, duh!"

Montana's eyes practically bulged out of her head. "Um, no–"

"Wait, you have a boyfriend?" Sian asked, moving herself away from the wall. "That's a shame, I–" Dina whacked her best friend's arm. "Ow!"

"I told you not to hit on my friends!"

Montana, flattered, felt her cheeks flushing, but her attention was quickly side tracked when she caught aight of the familiar vehicle parked outside, which definitely did not belong to Jacob Black. Her eyebrows pulled into a frown, and she took another step closer to make sure she was seeing correctly.

"Shit," Montana muttered under her breath, watching as the driver's door opened, and Dakota stepped out. An entirely bad feeling washed over Montana. Her stomach tightened, pulse throbbing audibly in her ears. Where the hell was Jake?

"What's wrong?" Dina asked in concern. "Montana?" She prompted.

"Uh, it's not...it's not Jake," she responded,  turning around to face her. Montana swallowed heavily, trying not to let on how worried she was, though it was unlikely that her face hadn't given her away.

Before Dina could ask the question, the door opened, and the little bell sound filled the room again. Montana drew in a deep breath, instantly locking eyes with her cousin as she walked inside.

Montana hadn't even opened her mouth before Dakota got there first, clearly anticipating her worries. "He's okay. Just..." Her eyes briefly darted around the room, noticing the company they had. "Uh, caught up at work."

Montana's body relaxed, and she released the breath she'd been holding. She was about to suggest they leave immediately, but was interrupted.

"Hey, Kota," Dina stepped forwards, trademark smile and all. Montana kind of wished she hadn't spoken, since Dakota was the kind of person that could get caught up in a conversation, with someone like Dina, for hours. "Haven't seen you in a while."

"Hey..." Dakota started, trailing off as she seemed to get distracted.

Montana's frown deepened. She'd been prepared for her cousin to launch into her entire life story, but Dakota got side tracked. Montana followed her stare, eyes landing on Sian.

Of fucking course.

And within seconds, Sian was sauntering towards her. "Sian Reid, pleasure to meet you."

Montana stifled a groan.

"Dakota," her cousin replied with a slight stutter, seeming to loose all other sense of what words were. Montana had never seen her caught off guard like that before, she was usually pretty smooth.

"Pretty name."

Dina gave Sian a pointed look, but it only seemed to spur her on further, a faint smirk travelling across her lips.

"Thanks," Dakota continued to fumble. "It's, um, like the state."

Montana stared at her cousin in utter disbelief, unsure of whether to laugh or simply die of second hand embarrassment. Dina locked eyes with her, biting down on her bottom lip in an obvious effort to hold back giggles. Dakota looked like she wanted the floor to open up and swallow her whole, whilst Sian's smirk only grew.

Dakota cleared her throat, turning quickly to Montana. "Um, we should go."

"Already? Are you sure?" Montana teased, raising her eyebrows. Dakota's eyes narrowed at her cousin. She heard Dina cough to disguise an accidental laugh.

Dakota's face had seemed to both simultaneously drain of all colour, and burn bright red. Montana was going to have a lifetime of laughter over this. She was never going to let her live it down.

"If you want to see Jacob, then yes."

Oh, fuck, Jacob. Well played, Dakota. Montana had completely forgotten about him – a momentary lapse in thought, which was very rare recently, since he was usually occupying her mind at almost all times.

Dakota's stare hardened, and Montana took that as leave or die, so she started to untie her waist apron. "Alright, fair point, let's go."

"You know, uh, Montana," Dina started, sparing a brief glance over at Sian, who looked a little disappointed that they were leaving already. Montana felt a bit bad, if the circumstances were different she would have absolutely loved to see it play out further. "We were...um, thinking about going out sometime. You know, drinks, dancing, and stuff. Would you guys be up for it?"

"That sounds good," Montana replied quickly, looking over at Dakota too, but all she seemed to be able to do was nod her head. "Both of us, definitely, yes."

"Great, I'll let you know!" Dina grinned, looking smugly towards Sian, who also disguised a smile.

"Yeah, I'll look forward to it," Sian chimed in, directing her words mainly towards Dakota.

Montana gave her cousin, who suddenly lost the ability to do absolutely anything, a gentle push forwards. "Cool, cool," Dakota replied. "Totally juiced."

Montana winced. Juiced?!

Dakota looked at her with wide eyes.

Montana quickly turned to Dina, trying to change the subject. "You okay to lock up?"

Dina was still grinning. "Absolutely. Have a good night!"

"Bye, Tana," Sian spoke up. She looked over Dakota once more, biting her bottom lip. Montana wondered if her cousin might pass out. "Bye, Dakota."

"Um, yeah, see you later."

Montana desperately held back her laughter until they were safely in the car. Dakota had walked faster than Montana had ever seen her move in her life, and by the time they were inside and the doors were shut, Montana almost had tears in her eyes.

"Oh my god, what the hell was that?!"

Dakota groaned, head falling into her hands. "Gay panic." 

"Well, it's made my night."

"I honestly don't even know what happened," Dakota mumbled into her palms. "I completely blacked out."

"It's probably for the best."

Dakota looked back up at her. "I hate you. Anyway, listen, Jake–"

"Is he okay?"

"He's fine," Dakota reassured. "He had to switch patrols. There was a, uh, slight...issue."

"What happened?"

Dakota sighed. "One word. Victoria."

"She's back?!" Montana's voice raised.

"She was here tonight," Dakota replied. "Kept crossing the border. There was an incident involving Paul and one of the Cullen's."

"Was it Edward?" That boy, man, ancient...thing caused so many problems.

"No, Edward and Bella are out of town." Dakota said. "I think his name's Emmett. He crossed into our land and Paul didn't take to it too well. But it made them lose sight of Victoria."

"Idiots," Montana mumbled under her breath. "So Victoria got away?"

Dakota nodded in confirmation, a defeated look in her eyes. "Yeah, she got away."

They drove most of the way home in silence, both of them occupied by thought. It was almost midnight when they arrived, and after a quick late night snack, the two of them disappeared to their rooms to catch up on sleep. The incident with Sian was, sadly, not brought up again, but Montana would definitely pounce on it first thing in the morning.

Stepping into her bedroom, she fumbled her hand along the wall for the light switch. As she flicked it on, a tired voice spoke from somewhere within the darkness, completely startling her.

"Jesus, fuck, Jake!"

Light bathed the room, revealing Jacob, who quickly got to his feet, an apologetic expression on his face. "I'm sorry–"

"Why the fuck were you sat in the dark?!" She hissed at him, lowering her voice so not to wake anybody in the house. Though, it may have been too late for that.

"I didn't want your parents to know I was here," he whispered back, casting a cautious look at the door. "It may have backfired."

"You think?!" Montana replied, placing a hand over her furiously beating heart. She exhaled heavily to collect herself again, stepping further into the room. "Are you okay? Dakota told me what happened."

"Yeah," he replied. "I just wanted to see you, make sure you were okay."

Montana nodded, placing her bag down on the floor. "I'm fine."

"How was the diner?"

"Fun," Montana replied, a sly smile creeping onto her face. "Especially at the end." She didn't go into any detail, deciding to save that for another day.

And anyway, Jacob said something adorable instead. "I've missed you."

Montana looked at him tenderly. "I've missed you too."

"I'm sorry we haven't spent time together," he said. "It's just, Victoria–"

"I know," Montana assured him. "I get it." She sat down on the bed, and Jacob did the same. "It sucks, but I get it."

He turned his head to face her, eyes delicate with sincerity. "I really am sorry."

"Jake," Montana spoke softly. "It's really not your fault."

He looked away from her, staring ahead. Montana glanced down, folding her hands in her lap. This was the first time they'd been alone together in weeks, and she wasn't sure whether either of them were going to bring up the kiss they'd shared. Or, anything involving that, actually.

"Montana."

"Yeah?"

"I want to take you out this weekend."

Oh, there it is.

She sat up straighter. "What, like, a date?"

What else would he mean? Idiot.

"Like a date," Jacob clarified, locking eyes with her again.

"That sounds...yeah." Montana's mouth had suddenly gone dry. "Sounds great."

God, an inability to speak to your crush must definitely run in the family. Either that or Dakota's incapabilities had somehow rubbed off on her.

Jacob's expression faltered slightly. "You do want to go on a date though, right?"

"Of course I do." Her eyebrows pulled together in concern. "It's what you want too, right?"

Jacob chuckled. "I can't believe you even had to ask that."

"Shut up."

He grinned down at her. "You're adorable."

"I know."

A moment of silence lapsed between them. Montana's heart was beating borderline unbearably fast. It was only Jake, someone she'd known her entire life; they knew each other inside out, and, yet, sometimes it felt they were hopelessly romantic strangers who were meeting for the first time. Maybe it was because they were embarking on something new in their relationship, or this was what it was like to have an actual crush. Sure, Montana had definitely had crushes before, and, like, she was pretty serious about Chase Ward a few years ago. But she'd never felt this way about anyone before. Except maybe Joe Jonas.

"Montana?"

"Hmm?"

"I don't want you to think I just...purposely disappeared after that kiss, or anything," Jacob told her. "Like, if I could spend every waking minute with you, I would."

"When this whole thing with Victoria is over, we'll have all the time in the world," Montana said.

"That's all I could ever ask for."

Montana smiled gently at him, Jacob Black, the boy she might be falling in love with. "Me too."

A/N

Just a whole chapter of Montana and Dakota being a complete mess, really.

Also that last sentence – soft soft soft

Sian's face claim is Erana James because I am obsessed with the wilds (if you haven't seen it yet you should!)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.5K 560 22
[UNDER MINOR EDITING] PREVIOUSLY TITLED "ℭ𝔬𝔯𝔯𝔲𝔭𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫" ... 𝘚𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘴𝘢𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘭𝘥 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘦𝘯𝘥 𝘪𝘯 𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘦, 𝘚𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘴𝘢𝘺 𝘪...
409K 13.2K 37
❝I don't want him to want me because he has to, I want him to want me because he wants me.❞ ❝Sometimes I think I'm crazy because I see things so diff...
515K 18.7K 32
❝ And then it hit her. It was the way he would tell cheesy jokes, and text her first thing in the morning. It was the way he would give her piggyback...
689K 21.7K 41
"I don't love you, Jacob. I love Paul, this imprint, this twisted, predestined fate made for us to be together isn't going to change my feelings for...