Bewitched | wolfstar au

By -wiltedflower-

A small paved road in Diagon Alley leads to Potter's Herbs and Misc., where Remus Lupin buys his (surprise, s... More

A Word
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-one
Twenty-two
Twenty-three
Twenty-four
Twenty-five
Twenty-six
Twenty-seven
Twenty-eight
Twenty-nine
Thirty
Thirty-one
Thirty-two
Thirty-three
Thirty-four
Thirty-five
Thirty-six
Thirty-seven
Thirty-eight
Thirty-nine
help me
Forty
Forty-one
Forty-two
Forty-three
Forty-four
Forty-five
Forty-six
Forty-eight
Forty-nine
Fifty
Fifty-one
Fifty-two
Fifty-three
Fifty-four
Fifty-five
Fifty-six
Fifty-seven
Fifty-eight
Fifty-nine
Sixty
Sixty-one
Sixty-two
Sixty-three
Sixty-four
Sixty-five
Sixty-six
Sixty-seven
Sixty-eight
Sixty-nine
Seventy (part one)
Seventy (part two)
Seventy-one
Seventy-two
Seventy-three
Seventy-four
Seventy-five
Seventy-six
Fuck me bloody naked
Seventy-seven
Seventy-seven (contd.)
Seventy-eight
Seventy-nine
Eighty
Eighty-one (part one)
Eighty-one (part two)
Eighty-two
Eighty-three
Eighty-four
Eighty-five
Eighty-six
Eighty-seven (part one)
Eighty-seven (part two)
Eighty-seven (part three)
Eighty-eight
Eighty-nine
Ninety
Ninety-one
Ninety-two
Ninety-three
Ninety-four
Ninety-five
Ninety-six (part one)
Ninety-six (part two)
Ninety-seven
I think we all saw this coming
Closure
No Promises

Forty-seven

1.8K 108 245
By -wiltedflower-

Sirius' guest room is lonely. And cold.

Soft, watery sunlight creeps in through the drawn curtains in pale beams, etching patterns everywhere it falls. On the floor, the wall, on Remus' pillow.

Remus has been awake for hours, but he makes no effort to get out of bed. He should, because the Justice for Remus Club convenes every Saturday, and James and Lily will be here soon.

Oh God, Lily.

Remus knows she's going to ask what happened. Remus doesn't yet know how horrible exactly he looks, but if his sticky cheeks or dry, puffy eyes serve as any clue, he would dare say he looks really fucking horrible.

God, he wants to never face anyone again.

There's a soft knock on the door, and Remus doesn't make an effort to respond. He doesn't want to.

"Remus?"

It's Sirius, of course. Who else would it be? After last night, Remus honestly didn't think Sirius would even want to look at him again. But here they are.

Another soft knock, and then the doorknob turns, revealing a very tired Sirius.

Remus sits up, pulling his knees to his chest. Sirius doesn't quite look at him, only at the wall above his head.

"I've made breakfast..." His voice is soft, and hoarse. "If... you can..." Sirius winces, "Whenever you want," he manages to say. And then his eyes fall on Remus' for a half of a second. He quickly closes the door.

Remus stays frozen for a while, chewing on his bottom lip. He touches his face to see if he's crying, and is surprised to find that he isn't. With a sigh, he pushes drags himself out of bed and goes to get dressed.

When he goes into the kitchen, Sirius is at the counter, stirring his tea. Remus' mug is already on the table, covered with a saucer. Sirius goes tense when he hears Remus, but doesn't turn around. He almost drops his spoon while putting it in the sink. In his hurry to get away, Sirius forgets his mug.

That he was stirring a literal second ago.

"Won't you eat?" Remus asks. Sirius shakes his head, already starting to leave. "Sirius," Remus grabs his wrist.

Sirius brings his free hand to gently pry Remus' fingers off. Sirius' skin feels like it's on fire. "I already ate," Sirius says softly.

Remus knows he's lying, but he doesn't know what to say. He can still feel the burn of Sirius' fingers on his hand. Helpless, he watches Sirius grab his mug and flee the kitchen, wondering how they have, overnight, turned into strangers. Miles of distance between them.

And the prospect of never going back to how they were before terrifies Remus.

***

Fortunately or not, Lily doesn't come. Only James and Auguste do.

"So," James grins, dragging the o out, "Any news?"

No one says anything.

"Hello?" James snaps a finger in front of Remus, making him jerk back. Remus looks up to find James smiling at him.

"Uhm," Remus clears his throat, pulling the letter out of his pocket. "Here," he gives it to James. Auguste leans closer to look at it over James' shoulder.

"You smell really good," James tells him absent-mindedly, probably too busy to notice that he just paid a compliment to Auguste Bellerose. Auguste gives him a look that reads What the fuck's gotten into you today?, but doesn't say anything snarky. "Thanks," he shrugs, "You're not so bad yourself."

They read the letter quickly.

"That's amazing, Remus," Auguste smiles at him, and Remus struggles to smile back.

"Amazing?" James shakes his head, "This is like, the most amazing thing," he grins at Remus, and Remus can feel his own smile grow a little.

"Did they call you? Ask you to come give a statement?" Auguste asks.

"No," Remus shakes his head, "Not yet." His eyes, out of habit, land on Sirius, who's not spoken much to anyone. James follows his gaze, and for the first time—probably in Remus' entire life—Remus sees his smile falter.

"Well," he says, "They might call soon." He takes a moment, and his smile grows bright again. "I have a good feeling about this, Re. You just wait and see."

***

After the meeting is over, Sirius leaves with Auguste, leaving James and Remus standing by the door. Remus closes the door and turns to James, opening his mouth to ask if James would like a(nother) cup of tea.

But he doesn't get to say anything, because James pulls him on to the couch.

"Are you okay?" He asks, his dark eyes searching Remus' face from behind his thick glasses. "Sorry," he then says, "That's a stupid question. I know you're not. I mean, it's obvious. But even if it wasn't, I know what happened."

Remus gives him a look of confusion.

"Sirius called me at, I think, three in the morning. It had me so worried, I thought you were dead or... or, sick or something like that so I picked up and then he told me everything..." James takes a deep breath. "Say something, Remus. You're making me scared."

"I'm sorry," Remus sighs. "I'm okay," he adds unsurely.

"Ten out of ten for the effort, but minus five for dishonesty," James gives him a nudge with his elbow. "You look like shit, Re,"

"Wow, thanks, James," Remus can't help but laugh.

"That's what I'm here for," James grins. He takes Remus' hand in both of his, giving it a small pat. "Would you feel better if Lily was here? I didn't tell her. I was scared she might murder Sirius in cold blood."

"Yeah, that wouldn't have looked very good on her resumé," Remus says, making James snort, "I don't think I want to... talk about it. Mostly because there isn't much to say. But I'm really glad you're here, James. It means a lot."

"Aw, come here," James pouts, giving him a massive hug, practically squeezing him. "I'm always here, you know. Whether you want to talk or not."

Remus stays with his head on James' shoulder for a while, neither of them saying anything. Which Remus knows is particularly difficult for James to do.

"I feel really bad," he finally says.

"Bad as in hurt or bad as in guilty?" James asks, shifting a little so that he can support Remus' weight better.

"Both,"

"Oh," James rubs his shoulder, "Why do you feel guilty?"

"I..." Remus bites his lip, "I shouted at Sirius, and I don't know if I meant everything I said,"

"Oh, Re," James says gently, "It's okay. You don't have to feel guilty for feeling angry. Or hurt. Or anything. But I suppose it does depend on what you said..." James pauses thoughtfully, "What did you say?"

Remus closes his eyes, wishing he could disappear. "I asked him if he was playing with me because I was staying with him,"

"Huh? Like, a really twisted way of paying rent? Emotional rent?"

Remus smiles a little, even if he's feeling miserable. "I don't know. Maybe,"

"Well, I've known Sirius for years, so I can promise you it's nothing like that..." James says, "But as far as regrettable things go, that really isn't much, Re. I thought you told him to go die. Or like, electrocute himself. Which is the same thing as dying, probably... but, look, my point is... You were mad, you said something you didn't really mean, and that's all there is to it. You can apologize to him later, but I think you deserve a bigger apology. Like, a hundred times bigger."

Remus doesn't point out that he's been pretty much gold digging Sirius and that he has no right to demand an apology.

"I don't know," Remus sighs, and James squeezes him again. "I don't want to hurt him, it's the last thing I wanted to do."

"Well," James shrugs under Remus' cheek, "He's miserable all the time anyway, so I don't think you made it any worse,"

"That really doesn't help, James,"

"Right, sorry. But look, you don't have to be... how do I say... distant or anything, right? You can still be friends? Maybe not right now, but... in a couple days?"

Remus gives a noncommittal hum, snuggling closer to James because he's really warm, and Remus spent a cold and lonely night. And he wants to believe James and everything he said, it's just that he doesn't know if he can.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.8K 905 13
bittersweet - (adj.) something being bitter and sweet simultaneously Small, timid Remus Lupin has never so much as thought of someone with malice. He...
39.3K 1.8K 27
maybe Nate McGonagall has been reading too many vampire novels, but Remus Lupin is starting to seem very suspicious. He's always out late at night, h...
10.9K 230 26
A sweet and short story about how Sirius' life change and how he discover so many new things about himself, after meeting some people and love of his...
329K 15.2K 22
this is the way most disasters start, with sirius. it's no surprise that sirius gets james into another ridiculous situation. but -- sirius does end...