Forever Original | Alaric Sal...

By SprintingFox

Ruthless, vicious, psychotic, the first of a pair of twins that were known for wreaking havoc anywhere their... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Epilogue
Final Author's Note

Chapter 3

5.6K 160 84
By SprintingFox

Hilda was murderous the next day.

Rebekah had come home just before afternoon, her hair messed up and her dress ripped.

"Well, well, well, there's our girl," said Kol, clapping dramatically. Klaus looked up from where he was sketching, and Hilda stood to come closer to her sister.

"Who was it, Bex?" she asked curiously. "Out all night..."

"Get out of my way, Hilda," she said irritably.

"Snappy retort," noticed Kol. "Was it that commoner, Matt?"

"If you two don't shut your mouths, the next thing to come out of it will be your teeth!"

Klaus grinned at this, and Rebekah rounded on him. "Don't start, Nik!"

"I didn't say anything," Klaus said innocently.

Hilda leaned onto Rebekah's shoulder. "Come on, Bex, tell us who it was. I'm bored, and I want some entertainment. We can go meet your new beau."

Rebekah pushed her off. "Shut up, Hilda!"

"At least you're having fun," said Kol. "So much fun, that you're secretive about it..."

Klaus raised his eyebrows. "There is nothing stopping you from having fun. Go on, have at it."

"It's boring to go by ourselves," sighed Hilda.

Kol perked up. "Join us, Nik! It's the least you can do after sticking a dagger in our hearts."

Klaus conceded. "Okay. Why not? I didn't have nearly enough to drink last night, what with you trying to murder Rebekah's date."

"Well, we would have succeeded, if Damon hadn't interrupted us," Hilda said lowly.

At the mention of Damon, Hilda caught a slight twitch in Rebekah's lips. The brothers went silent, as they had noticed it too.

"Hilly, we should go and get some drinks," suggested Kol after a tense moment when Rebekah turned to look at Hilda.

But she wasn't listening. "You slept with him?" sneered Hilda.

"So what if I slept with him?" Rebekah exclaimed. "You haven't marked him as yours, have you, sister? I'm at perfect liberty to!"

"You quite obviously saw that I was interested in him! You didn't even end up setting me up with him-"

"Maybe if you weren't such a deranged twat, you'd have gotten him yourself! Oh, wait, the last time you had a serious relationship was a thousand years ago!"

Hilda balled up her fists. "Careful where you tread, Rebekah, because you don't want to go there."

Rebekah's eyes flashed darkly. "Ashamed you have no experience? Embarrassed you haven't slept with anyone since the eleventh century? Since Tristan? You don't know how to speak with men, Hilda, you're just not desirable enough-"

Kol leapt up to pull his twin back. "No, let me hit her," snarled Hilda, "she'll see she got herself into a bloody mess-"

"Oh, yes," Rebekah chortled, "you may be very good at fighting, but you're not good enough when it comes to attracting some fun-"

"Rebekah," Elijah said warningly.

"What, Elijah?" she snapped. "If Hilda wants to act hurt, she should have tried harder, instead of being an unattractive, homicidal lunatic!"

"I'LL SHOW YOU HOMICIDAL!" screeched Hilda, thrashing so erratically that Klaus and Elijah had to help Kol hold her back.

"Let's go to the bar, sister, come on," said Klaus. Though she was still fuming curses at Rebekah, the brothers dragged her out of the house.

Hilda was still swearing and murmuring about the different ways she could torture Rebekah by the time they arrived at the Mystic Grill, though she had calmed down a significant amount.

"Best behavior, both of you," said Klaus sternly as they entered. There weren't many people, but one pair stood out- a man and a woman seated at the bar.

"Why can't I remember anything about the attack?" asked the man.

"Your CT scans were clear," the woman answered. "Maybe you were compelled to forget."

"Wait... you think the killer's a... a vampire?"

"There are no other suspects. It's the obvious conclusion."

Klaus chose that moment to walk right up beside them. "Oh, come now," he said with a smug look. "Let's not go blaming the new family in town just because you lot have got yourselves a killer at large. Don't mind us. My brother, sister, and I are just here to let off some steam, right twins?"

"Right," answered Kol. He was staring over at the woman, a slender brunette with deep brown eyes. "What's your name, beautiful?"

The woman was obviously uncomfortable, and chose not to answer, getting up and walking away.

"Idiot," Hilda hissed over at Kol. "You creeped her out." She turned back to the man as he got out of his seat to follow the woman.

She was attracted immediately.

Tall, with an athletic build. Handsome and casual with blue eyes. He just looked intelligent, and Hilda felt herself leaning toward him.

"What's your name?" she asked more casually compared to her brother. "I feel as though I know you from somewhere."

He cast Klaus a look before gazing at her. "You should ask your brother. He kind of possessed my body back in April."

He walked off, and Hilda whipped her head back at Klaus. "Excuse me?"

Klaus chuckled, and motioned for the bartender to bring him a drink. "Yes, yes, just a small body jumping moment. Nothing to worry about. His name is Alaric Saltzman. I believe I killed his girlfriend in order to become a hybrid. He's the disheveled guardian of Elena and her brother, Jeremy."

Hilda looked displeased. "Dick," she spat, looking back to where Alaric and the woman were playing pool. "I don't suppose you know who that is? The girl he's with?"

"I have no idea, but I'll find out," said Kol as three drinks were served for them. Still looking over at the man, Hilda sat down.

"What can you tell me about him?" she prompted.

Klaus seemed more than happy to tell her. "He's a history teacher at the high school. His ex-wife is the birth mother of Elena. His late girlfriend was the girl's aunt."

"Wow, that's a lot to take in," said Hilda as she downed her drink. She patted her brothers on the back. "Stay here and be good. I'm going to talk to him."

"See if you can get that girl's name," said Kol eagerly.

"No promises," Hilda called back as she went over to the pool tables. She leaned against the railing nearest where Alaric and the woman were playing.

They had clearly noticed her, but neither paid her any attention. Tugging at the edge of her shirt, Hilda tried to think of what she could say. Alaric likely had no inclination to speak with her, but she felt intrigued, and she couldn't just stand aside quietly.

She walked forward, and caught him staring from the corner of his eye. "Do you Mikaelsons always feel the need to hover?" he asked.

"We're used to being in control," she said simply. "It's a natural instinct to want to watch and absorb details."

He let out a dry chuckle. "Well, do you mind doing it somewhere else? We're in the middle of a game."

The woman beside him was obviously nervous with Hilda's presence, but she didn't seem to want her to go. "She's not doing anything, Ric," she said in a level voice. "Maybe she just wants to watch."

Hilda smiled appreciatively. "Yes, I do want to watch. I'm not really good at pool."

"You've been around since the game was invented," the woman assumed. "Haven't you?"

Hilda shrugged. "Yes, well, I've been around before many things came around- like the internet. But some things, you never quite get the hang of." She shifted on her feet. "So er- you sound like a doctor. Am I correct in that?"

The woman nodded. "Yes." She leaned closer, and whispered, "Dr. Meredith Fell."

"I won't tell Kol, don't worry," said Hilda reassuringly. "Nice to meet you. I always thought I'd have liked to be a doctor, but with being daggered so often, well..."

"You could study to be one," said Meredith. "Oh- well, all the blood..."

"I'm pretty good around blood. Kol has more of a problem. I could manage it." For the sake of continuing their chat, she asked, "how does one go about studying for that?"

Meredith thought for a moment. "Well, nowadays, you have to go to university. You do four years of undergraduate studies. You major in something- like, focusing on a specific subject to get a degree in that. You apply for Medical School, and if your scores are good, you get in, and that's another four years. Once you graduate there, you can branch off into different specialties. It took me five years of interning and residency to become the doctor I am today. For surgery, it takes longer."

Hilda drummed her fingers against the edge of the pool table, continuing to steal glances at Alaric, who seemed intent on ignoring her. "What types of subjects should I pick if I want to be a doctor?"

"Most people pick subsets of biology, chemistry, psychology, and physics, but there is so much you can do. You can major in something different and still become a doctor."

"I think I might be really good at chemistry. I've studied it a lot in the past."

Meredith seemed intrigued by this. "Really? How? I don't mean to sound rude, but from what I've heard about the Originals- it's just a bunch of murder and parties."

Hilda laughed lightly. "Yes, well, those take up the majority of our time. But before we were vampires, we were witches. Kol and I tapped into it the best. And over the years we've learned many types of magic. In that, there are forms of chemistry that we excelled in. I think the one I specialize in... is biochemistry. And inorganic chemistry, of course."

"Wow, that sounds good. You would probably do really well in all of that. There are a lot of websites up now that you can look at to decide which university you might like to study at."

"Thank you," said Hilda respectfully. "I appreciate the information." She looked up at Alaric. "I assume you majored in history."

"Yeah," he said, looking at Meredith as if he wanted her to stop talking to Hilda. The brunette saw no harm in it, and Alaric continued, "I went to Duke University. Maybe you've heard of it?"

"Oh, yes," said Hilda. "Founded in 1892, I believe? Beautiful campus."

He smiled a bit. "Yeah, I liked it a lot. When did you uh, visit?"

"In 1903, if I'm not mistaken. When it was still fairly fresh and new. One of the better areas that I've visited. Of course, it probably looks much nicer now."

"They've probably grown about a thousand more trees since you last went," Alaric said, taking a swig of his drink, and finishing it.

Hilda clasped her hands together. "I'll get you both more drinks. It's on me."

Alaric and Meredith shared a look. "Really?" asked Alaric. "Thanks."

Hilda blushed. "No problem."

She walked over to the bar, listening to their conversation from behind.

"She's trying to hit on you," Meredith whispered, so quietly that Hilda could barely hear her. "I think she's nervous."

"That's flattering and all, but there is no way in hell that I'm getting involved with an Original. Besides, I'm here with you. Like, an unofficial date."

Hilda felt her chest tighten as she reached the bar, refraining from ordering the drinks for the time being.

"How's it going, sister?" asked Kol. It seemed he and Klaus had already drank through several bottles.

"Well, he's not interested in me, from what I gather," she said quietly taking one of the bottles and drinking directly from it. "This is fucking stupid... I'd rather be working toward getting a good meal. But, well, I don't really feel like feeding off of anyone other than the servants at home..."

"You limit yourself so much, Hilda," said Klaus, shaking his head. "Let loose, for God's sake. Don't control your hunger so bloody much."

Kol smirked. "Come on, Nik, you should know by now she does it for me. If she's more sobered up, she can protect me. She feels obligated to, since she's the older twin."

"More like obligated to make sure you don't get yourself killed," she said pointedly. "I dunno. I like the violence, but in settings like this, my cravings are so... low."

"Oh, yes, we heard you discussing Medical School," teased Klaus. "My sister, becoming a doctor... that'll be the day..."

She smacked him. "Hey, I can manage it! I'm not an idiot." She turned away and leaned back against the bar, watching as a familiar blonde head entered the building. "I remember her from last night."

Kol turned to see who she was looking at. "She looks like a tasty little thing..."

"Say another word, and I'll tear out your liver," Klaus growled before putting on a smile. "Caroline!"

She obviously didn't look happy to see him. "Oh, it's you."

"Join us for a drink?" Klaus offered.

Caroline made a face. "Mmm, I'd rather die of thirst. But thanks."

She turned on her heel and walked out.

"Isn't she stunning?" Klaus murmured, watching her go.

The twins shared an amused look. "She certainly looks good walking away from you," Hilda observed.

"Poor Nik, rejected so outright," sighed Kol dramatically.

Klaus set his drink on the counter. "I'll take that as a challenge." Without another word, he followed after her.

"So did you find out the brunette's name?" asked Kol curiously as Hilda finished Klaus's drink for him,

"No," she lied. "She's not interested. Pick someone else."

"Come on, sister, when have you ever stopped me from going for a girl?"

"She was really nice to me, Kol. You know I've never liked how you and our brothers try to coerce women into things they don't want to do."

"Yes, yes, Hilly, you scold us constantly for it. But I'm not going to kill her."

"I'd also rather you don't force her into something that makes her uncomfortable."

Ignoring her, he walked over to Meredith, taking advantage of the fact that Alaric had come over to the bar. Hilda quickly brushed some strands of hair behind her ear. "Sorry, got distracted," she said a bit too fast as she dipped back over the bar to grab a full bottle of bourbon.

"Don't worry," said Alaric with a kind look. He turned back and saw that Kol had approached Meredith. It made him frown.

"I'll handle him," said Hilda, stepping over as Kol tried backing Meredith into a wall. "Kol, come on, we're leaving."

"Hilda, bloody hell, piss off," said Kol, glaring sideways at her as he turned back to Meredith. "Come on, darling, I like pretty little things with sharp tongues."

He reached out to touch her face, but Hilda caught his arm. "Don't you dare," she sneered.

"What are you going to do, fight me?" Kol challenged. "Don't kid yourself, Hilda, you may be stronger than Rebekah, but you're not stronger than me."

"Let's see about that, shall we?"

"You don't even have the gall to turn a vampire, so-"

Both twins let out hoarse gasps. Hilda felt a sharp pain in her back, and slumped into Alaric's arms as he finished diving a white oak dagger into her. Immediately, she and Kol desiccated.

It felt like barely a minute before the color flooded back into her face. They were now outside of the Mystic Grill, and she was on the ground, looking up at Elijah and Klaus, who were standing in front of Damon and Stefan, who'd been knocked back. Beside her, Meredith was helping Alaric up after he got his head bashed into a wall.

"We still need them, Niklaus," Elijah was saying.

"What did Mother do?" snarled Klaus. "What did she do, Elijah?"

Elijah did not answer. Holding out a phone, he walked toward Damon. "You tell me where the witches are, or I'll have my sister kill Elena right now."

"You told me we had until after nine!" said Damon indignantly.

"I'm sure Rebekah will be more than happy to start her work early," said Elijah indifferently.

Damon scowled as Kol and Hilda gathered the strength to sit up. "The old witch house near the forest. Stefan and I will head there." He grabbed his brother and sped off.

Right as Hilda stood, Klaus slammed her back into the wall, near Alaric. She squeaked, and he shook her violently. "This is all your bloody fault!" Klaus spat.

"What the fuck, Klaus?" she hissed.

"Our Mother is trying to murder us, and you and Kol are always flaunting about how you were once witches- you should have done something! Perhaps- perhaps you even helped her!"

"Are you mental? I didn't help her! We had no idea!"

"Rebekah was right about you," Klaus snarled in her face. "You're inexperienced and stupid, and you were so easily swayed by a handsome face that you put this entire family in jeopardy. You better hope that this spell isn't finished in time."

He released her, ignoring the hurt look in her eyes. She looked down in shame, feeling like she might cry, but she couldn't let herself, not with Alaric and Meredith right there. They were staring at her, and she gulped. She looked up to see Kol brushed past Klaus to get to her. "It's alright, sister, it's not your fault," he told her reassuringly. "Come on, let's go, shall we?"

Hilda nodded quickly, feeling her emotions skyrocketing in all directions. She felt angry enough that she could have torn Klaus's heart out. But she was also so embarrassed that she wished she could curl up and sob.

Silently, the four siblings linked hands as Elijah sped them to the location that Damon and Stefan had told them. Walking through the edge of the woods, they found that in front of the old witch house, a pentagram had been created with torches at the peaks, and Finn was standing inside of it.

"My children, come forward," said Esther.

"Stay beside me, Mother," said Finn, beckoning Esther into the pentagram with him.

"It's okay," she said. "They can't enter."

Kol was the first to approach the pentagram, and immediately, the torches flared up bright, making him jump back. "That's lovely," he said scathingly. "We're stuck out here, while the favorite son plays sacrificial lamb. How pathetic you are, Finn."

"Be quiet, Kol," Esther chided. "Your brother knows virtue you cannot even imagine."

Elijah held up his finger. "Whatever you think of us, killing your own children will be an atrocity."

Esther was unfazed. "My only regret is that I did not let you die a thousand years ago."

"Enough!" snapped Klaus. "All this talk is boring me. End this now, Mother, or I'll send you back to Hell."

"For a thousand years," she said, "I've been forced to watch you. Felt the pain of every victim, suffered while you shed blood. Even you, Elijah, with your claim to nobility, you're no better. All of you. You're a curse on this Earth. Stretched out over generations. If you've come to plead for your life, I'm sorry, you've wasted your time."

But suddenly, she looked alarmed, and Hilda could feel a change in the air. The torches flickered. "No!" Esther cried. "Sisters! Do not abandon me!"

"Mother!" Finn exclaimed.

The pentagram's torches flared up so violently, that Hilda and Kol jumped away and covered their eyes to avoid being blinded and burned. By the time it subsided, Finn and Esther were gone.

Kol and Hilda were the first to move over and examine the remains of the spell. "We need go get the bloody hell out of here," said Kol immediately. "Mother will stop at nothing to kill us. Let's get back to the house."

He took his sister's hand, leaving their brothers behind as he sped them away. He stopped at his room, grabbing anything he might want to take.

"Must we run?" asked Hilda quietly. "I-I know I wanted to leave but I... I'm not sure I want to go. Out there, we'll have only uncertainty. We know magic too, Kol. We can stay here and find a way to reverse what she did."

He sighed. "Hilly, I don't know how you could wish to remain behind after how Bex and Nik treated you today. Even I was an arse. But we've always been there for each other. We have never been apart. We flee together. Get daggered together."

She put her hands on his shoulders. "Get a headstart. I'll meet you wherever you go."

He nodded. "Alright, sister. But I expect to hear updates about this Saltzman fellow. I don't condone falling for humans, but-"

"I'm not falling for him, idiot, I want to sleep with him."

"Then go night night to his place, see if he invites you in."

Hilda smirked and nudged him. "We'll see how it goes. First, I'll have Klaus get me one of those cell phone things."

Just then, Klaus came in. "Kol," he said. "To Denver, Colorado. Elena's brother resides there, and I need you to monitor him. Befriend him, I don't give a damn. He's compelled- he won't know what the surname Mikaelson means."

Kol was definitely looking forward to it. "Perfect. You sure you don't want to come now, Hilly?"

"I'm fine here," she said. "But I'll join you eventually, I promise."

Kol patted her on the back as he walked out. Klaus shifted on his feet.

"I was cruel with you," he said quietly. "Of course it wasn't your fault."

She turned away from him. "Alright, Nik." She knew better than to expect a proper apology.

"I am thankful that you stayed. I will reveal this information to Kol later on, but I believe we're going to need your help."

"What is it?"

"There is another White Oak tree. Meaning, we can still be killed."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

166K 4.2K 78
(rewriting) ˜"*°•.˜"*°•𝐒𝐡𝐞'𝐬 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭. 𝐒𝐡𝐞'𝐬 𝐨𝐧𝐞-𝐨𝐟-𝐚-𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐝. 𝐒𝐡𝐞'𝐬 𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐪𝐮𝐞. ...
230K 5.9K 34
She was the only one that took his side without fault. Gave him the attention he felt his siblings denied him. It made him the only Original who coul...
51.6K 1.8K 29
One thousand years ago, Finn Mikaelson almost got everything he could have wanted out of life even while stuck in a wretched vampire body. One thousa...
195K 6.9K 57
Backstabbing, bickering, butchery, repeat. It took a werewolf to bring the Mikaelsons together in the place where hellfire had rained, back when they...