Fragmented Dreams

By tateufel

Plagued by never-ending nightmares and cursed with a mysterious ability to sense others' emotions, 19-year-ol... More

Chapter 1: Just a Dream
Chapter 2: Small Mountain Town
Chapter 4: The New Boy
Chapter 5: Bully for You
Chapter 6: Zachary the Jerk
Chapter 7: After School Activities
Chapter 8: Welcome to the Farm
Chapter 9: Stranger Danger
Chapter 10: The Morning After
Chapter 11: Shopping Trip
Chapter 12: Farmers Market
Chapter 13: Coffee with Friends
Chapter 13.5: Movie Night
Chapter 14: Zach Attack
Chapter 15: Open House
Chapter 16: Parent-Teacher Conference
Chapter 17: Please Explain
Chapter 18: Runaway
Chapter 19: World of Terra
Chapter 20: I Dream of You
Chapter 21: Chat with Casimir
Chapter 22: Welcome to the Team
Chapter 23: New Kids in School
Chapter 24: Much Ado About Dating
Chapter 25: On the Case
Chapter 26: Diana Loses her Temper
Chapter 27: Guardian Grandpa
Chapter 28: Dreams of Young Love
Chapter 29: Girls Night In
Chapter 30: Nightclub
Chapter 31: Mysterious Savior
Chapter 32: Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow
Chapter 33: Grounded
Chapter 34: Apologies
Chapter 35: Happy Birthday
Chapter 36: The Missing Mr. Burke
Chapter 37: Frame Job
Chapter 38: Plan of Action
Chapter 39: Follow the Clues
Chapter 40: Battle at the Crescent Club
Chapter 41: I Will Be Reborn

Chapter 3: School Days

13 6 2
By tateufel

One train ride down the mountain and a short walk later, I arrived at school. As I passed through the large iron gates I showed my ID to the guard in the small booth and it was scanned, a record of my near tardiness. Most everyone else was heading inside or was already in class with only a few stragglers in the halls, still chatting with friends. My scheduled train always left me just enough time to power stroll to my locker, exchange my books and then head to class. If I was lucky I would be able to catch up with all the morning gossip before homeroom began. When my Grandfather first suggested I attend Royal Queen Academy, I complained, as the idea of a long commute into the city did not fill me with joy. After the first few months, I relented, deciding the train ride through the mountain was actually kinda nice. It would often give me the chance to doze off and listen to music or sketch an idea for a new painting.

Royal Queen Academy was housed in an old building that used to be a hospital back in the early 1900s. When a new hospital was built in the center of the city, the building was sold and turned into a prestigious boarding school. The main building looked old-fashioned at first but the inside was fully renovated, with all of the state-of-the-art electronics and nice comfy amenities that rich kids desired. Although, sometimes we still had problems with the air conditioning in a few of the upstairs rooms.

As the years went on the school eventually moved its live-in residents off campus to a more modern apartment building, deeper in the city. The school had a fancy fleet of vans that would bus kids to and from their dorm rooms and also into the city for shopping at the local mall. They tore down the old dorms and in its place built a large swimming pool, tennis courts, and a beautiful garden that sat just behind the main building. I spent most of my time in the art room, located adjacent to the gardens, as I was an avid painter in my spare time. It was a hobby I'd picked up as a way to help process my dreams. I honestly wasn't keen on sharing my dream artwork with anyone besides my friends or Grandfather, who always declared all of my work 'fantastic' despite the subject matter.

As far as the students went, since our school was so renowned for its amazing teachers and top-tier education, we ended up with a lot of the children of diplomats or rich business people. It created a strange divide between the hardworking overachieving kids and the rich party crowd. These were kids who have lived all over the world and have experienced more in one year of their life than I could hope to see in several lifetimes. I found myself admiring how independent most of them were. The campus seemed more like a college than a high school at times. A lot of the kids had parents who were either incredibly overbearing or simply uninvolved. The smallest group of kids were the few locals who could afford the tuition but not much else and I fell into that category. My Grandfather never liked to talk about money, but he assured me that he could afford my tuition. I remained unconvinced of this fact after I saw a bill from the school that he had tried to hide from me. I knew how much he made selling apples and it honestly never added up despite his side job as a consultant. At one point I insisted that he should track down my wayward aunt Mary, who was related to me on my father's side. After my parents died she took possession of a lot of their valuables, claiming she was holding them for me for 'safe keeping'. Since then she has denied ever promising to store anything and I doubted I would ever see the money or items she took, leaving me somewhat bitter. Grandpa told me he had a handle on it, including my tuition expenses, and insisted I focus on other things.

My face must have soured while I was thinking of my aunt, because Elizabeth, the queen bee of our class, was giving me a look. I had just stepped into my homeroom, pausing as I processed the emotions flooding over me when I caught her eye. She was always stunning, with perfect makeup, smooth, silky blond hair, and a haughty look in her eyes. It was no wonder she worked as a model on her off time and had thousands of followers on social media. Her outward appearance was always flawless, but that was just a shell. Behind that coy smile was a hateful, racist, and selfish child. Elizabeth smiled and I could almost taste her disdain from where I stood. We were not friends, that was for sure, especially after I yelled at her in the library for being rude to my soon-to-be friend Sunita at the end of our freshman year. I came back next summer blacklisted from most social groups, which didn't bother me much. Fewer humans interacting with me meant fewer emotions I had to deal with.

Slowly I watched as Elizabeth turned to whisper to her two friends, who weirdly, were both named Madison, glancing back at me once or twice as they talked. I had secretly hoped that I was not the topic of discussion but, the mean girl giggling that ensued shortly after I passed, quickly squashed that fantasy. I furrowed my brow and made a dash for my seat, trying to keep my head held high.

My heart lifted as I could already see Zola and Sunita, my only friends in the world, sitting at their desks. The two were talking amongst themselves, their books and binders spread out in front of them.

Zola saw me first and smiled while giving me a friendly wave. "Hey Diana!!" she sang out. I couldn't help but grin when I saw her. Zola had the most amazing smile, it was no wonder people liked her so much. She also had little tolerance for bullshit and was one of the smartest girls in our class. Not many people messed with her, at least not to her face.

"I love the glasses today," I remarked, nodding toward her face. Zola was what she called a 'glasses fashionista'. Some women loved shoes, others might collect purses, but she loved to accessorize with eyewear. Today, her frames were cotton candy pink and shaped like squares, which perfectly accessorized her lips. The colors popped vividly against her beautiful dark skin and her hair was pulled back, away from her face into her usual double afro puffs. Zola's eyes were a deep brown, her lashes naturally long. She was tall and curvy, with strong arms and legs that came from her passion for the outdoors. I was deeply jealous of her amazing arm muscles and had told her that fact many times over our friendship. What I loved most about Zola was how she would always radiate confidence. She had a strong, caring family and grew up loved and adored. She was one of the few rich kids I could actually stand to be around in this school. When she wasn't hiking, gardening, binging television, or at school, she loved to write stories. Recently she confessed that she was mildly obsessed with my dream paintings and told me she liked to make up stories behind all of my art. I was flattered.

Zola beamed at my compliment about her glasses. "Why thank you!" she purred, posing for a moment to give me the full effect. I slid into my chair just behind my two friends. It happened to be the seat nearest to the window, which was great for daydreaming.

Sunita then turned to greet me as I sat down. "Good morning, Diana," she said softly. Sunita was the more reserved, quiet member of our group. A trait that she would occasionally blame on her strict upbringing. She had a habit of apologizing for herself, often, and even sometimes to the point of tears. She was prone to panic attacks and tended to shut down when anyone around her got too emotional. As meek as Sunita seemed when I first met her, our years together as friends seemed to drag her slowly out of her shell. I noticed she was slowly beginning to blossom as our last year of school began. She had a passion for cooking and studying that rivaled the kids in the elite class. She loved to learn as much as she could about new cultures and was my go-to person when I needed a book recommendation. Sunita herself was a strikingly beautiful East Indian girl. She had deeply tanned skin, large dark eyes, and thick eyebrows. Her extra-thick, super-long black hair was usually tied back in braids. No matter how much I begged her to wear her hair down to school, I was refused. Sunita claimed it was a hassle and seeing as I was always detangling my own unruly mane of hair, I could understand why.

"Morning Sunita," I replied as I pulled out my thermos of coffee. "How was your weekend? Get to visit with the parental units?" Sunita and Zola both lived in the dorms as roommates. Occasionally, their parents would come to visit or they would travel to see them. Sunita, unfortunately, did not have the happy home life that Zola did. Her father was overbearing and controlling. She was slightly terrified of him and usually came back from her home visits in various states of distress. As I waited for Sunita's response, I glanced around, looking for the teacher. I wanted to sneak a quick caffeine boost before homeroom began.

"Yes, it was..." Sunita hesitated, "nice." She finished quickly. Sunita didn't like speaking ill of people, but we all knew that she and her father did not get along.

"Nice?" I repeated raising an eyebrow. "I am going to need some more details, please, and thank you. Did something happen with your dad?"

"No, Father was, well he is..." Sunita stammered, trailing off once again.

"Nice...?" I offered up, using her own words.

"Niiiiiice," Zola repeated, throwing some finger guns at me. I grinned and shook my head. Sunita wrinkled her nose, making a sour face at our comments. We knew she would not talk ill of her family in public, but the details would come out during one of our girl's nights.

"What's wrong with being NICE?" Sunita squeaked. She quickly raised her hand in front of her mouth, shocked by her loud outburst. I watched as she glanced around, worried if others had noticed.

"Nothing's wrong with being nice," I shrugged, pulling out my thermos.

"Nice is nice," Zola added nodding her head with a serious expression, I could tell she was trying very hard not to laugh.

"Very nice. The nicest," I added, also nodding. We both grinned as Sunita let out a huff.

"I'm ignoring you both now," Sunita sniffed, turning primly in her chair to face forward. All her notebooks and pencils were perfectly arranged for class but I saw her fiddle with them as she pretended to ignore us.

"Noooooo, don't ignore us!" Zola cried out. "That's not NICE!"

Sunita made a tsking noise as I giggled. I took a swig from my thermos and deliciously warm, super-sweet coffee danced across my taste buds. It felt good to laugh after a weekend of bad dreams, followed by a night of no sleep.

A flurry of activity in front of the classroom signaled that the teacher was coming. I capped my coffee and stuck it under my desk, quickly trading it for my folders and books. Other students did the same, finishing last-minute snacks, typing final texts on their phones, and exchanging notes on homework in a flurry of activity.

Our homeroom teacher Mr. Burke strolled into the room, reading from his clipboard as he entered. He was a taller man, with a slim build and a stern look always plastered on his face. He was one of the younger teachers at the school, with a head full of sandy tangled locks that he would attempt to wear slicked back on his head. He also wore glasses that always seemed smudged and suits that always needed pressing. Despite his disheveled appearance, he was a real stickler for rules and order. He had a short temper and was quick to yell at students. His homework assignments were the stuff of legend and all of the academic students strove for an A in his class.

"Alright everyone, settle down. Let's get the roll done quickly as we have a new student today," Mr. Burke announced. He said this because he knew a new student meant we would be distracted, throwing off the lesson plan. All of this would of course annoy Mr. Burke, as he hated nothing more than to be off-track. He pulled out the roll sheet and began shouting out names rapid-fire, glancing up as he went. Some of the students were already murmuring to each other about the new student. It was the start of our senior year, so many wondered who would be transferring in now. Vaguely curious I glanced at the door and caught a glimpse of a person behind the frosted glass. I saw Zola glance over at me while Sunita seemed to stiffen in her chair. I then realized why Sunita seemed so nervous. It was because I was sitting at one of the only two desks in the classroom without a second person. My head whipped over to look at the empty seat next to me and then over to the second vacant seat in the class. This second chair was located directly to my right and it belonged to Zachary or Zach as his friends called him. He was also known as the bully of our senior class.

Zachary was a large hulking boy-child who took delight in torturing others and knowing that his rich daddy would get him out of trouble. He was a classic bully type, with a little bit of rich boy entitlement thrown in. Zachary would often use the spare seat as a home for his book bag or feet. Currently, he was leaning back in his chair, trying to sneak a look at his cell phone.

I sighed inwardly, knowing no teacher would want to sit a new student next to him. Zachary caught me looking over at his desk and grinned in his normal cat-eat-canary way. I couldn't stand that smug smile and I stiffened as I noticed Zachary's gaze lingered on my breasts. He began nodding his approval and then winked. I scowled at him as he began to make a kissy face, recoiling back in my seat before turning to face the teacher.

Gross.

My cheeks felt hot as I remembered all the unpleasant things that Zachary had said or done to me over the years. Caffeine was buzzing around in my system and I still felt tired. I called out when I heard my name. Mr. Burke paused to look at me a bit longer than the other students.

Dang, I am getting stuck with the new kid, I just know it.

"Mr. Reynolds you can enter now," Mr. Burke shouted.

The door opened to reveal a young man who was somewhat tall and seemed almost skinny at first, but the longer I stared at him, the more I realized that not to be so. Even under his oversized uniform, I could see the line of his strong shoulders and arms. Despite his youthful appearance, he honestly seemed too old to be in high school. The new student had lightly tanned skin, a wide nose, and large brown eyes covered by huge round glasses. His reddish-brown hair was pulled back into a messy ponytail that ended just at his shoulders. It was rare to see a guy with hair that long anymore, especially in this school. At first glance you could easily write him off as a nerdy gamer guy, except his hands were covered in calluses and small cuts. What was most curious about him was his bleach-blond bangs, which only seemed to be in one small part of his hair. I wondered if the sun had bleached parts of his hair.

The new boy smiled and he seemed almost radiant. It was like he was the sun.

What the hell is wrong with me? I thought as I watched him walk toward Mr. Burke's desk. My heartbeat began to quicken and I could almost feel my brain pulse inside my head. It's just the caffeine, I reassure myself. It had to be just a lack of sleep and too much caffeine. A wave of déjà vu hit me like a two-ton truck. I wondered if this new guy was on television, or if he was some popular internet kid. No one else in the class was reacting like he was famous, just the normal silent judgment we reserve for new kids.

The class sat still, all waiting for Mr. Reynolds to say something to let us know what tiny, high school stereotype we could shove him into. The good thing about sitting in the back is no one really notices you, but you can people-watch to your heart's content. I was happy that at this moment, I was located in the very back corner so that no one would see how intensely I was staring at the new boy. I was trying desperately to remember where I had seen him before.

Mr. Burke muttered at the new kid to introduce himself quickly and the boy turned to the class, shrugging to keep his backpack on his shoulder as he faced us.

"Hey all," he began with a small wave. His voice was sweet but husky. He coughed, seeming nervous. "My name is Casimir Reynolds. I'm, um, 18. I have been abroad for a while and need to finish up my high school credits. So yeah, here I am," he finished somewhat lamely as he laughed. Some of the other kids in the class laughed as well. I knew many of my fellow students could relate to a family moving all around.

"Anything else?" Mr. Burke prodded, as he leaned against his desk, seemingly eager to finish homeroom and move on.

"No, sir," Casimir said with a shake of his head and a small smile. I couldn't keep my eyes off him.

I know him... but from where?

"Fantastic, okay then," Mr. Burke said dryly. Our homeroom teacher scanned the room for a moment, his eyes settled on me. "Looks like there is an empty seat next to Diana. As long as you don't mind sitting in the back of the room?"

"Looks great," Casimir grinned as his eyes caught mine.

Suddenly it felt like I couldn't breathe. Those warm brown eyes locked onto mine and I could feel a heat spread all over my body. I hastily looked down at my books, tearing my gaze away from his. I knew I was probably as red as a beet. This is not me, I scolded myself. I did not act this way around boys. I was the short-tempered, unapproachable grump who never slept. I had never felt this way before. I could count on one hand the number of dates I had been on, or people I had been attracted to over the years. I realized I was breathing heavily and the sounds around me had become muffled by the loud beating of my heart. I began tapping my nails on my books, staring at my chipped nail polish. I had forgotten to remove my favorite black paint and replace it with a school-approved color. I began to feel hot even in the mild temperature of the classroom. I could feel every drop of sweat, every beat of my heart, every breath seemed loud and ragged.

Casimir had set down his bag and pulled out the chair next to me. He sat down and I could suddenly smell him. It was amazing. He smelled warm and earthy, much like the soap my grandfather used oddly. I could also smell cinnamon, which was weird. I had no earthly clue as to why I was obsessing about all of this. This could not be normal. Most people I assessed with fleeting fancy, but with Casimir, I was greedily taking in all the details, as if I was afraid I would forget. I just knew we had met before but it wasn't like me to forget a person. I felt like years had passed since he walked in the door. Decades since he sat down.

Oh god, he is saying something.

"Nice to meet you, um, Diana?" He whispered, leaning closer to me. I froze up. I could vaguely hear Mr. Burke droning on about future school events. I took a chance to look over at the new boy. He was smiling, it was a nice smile, kind of sad also. The rush returned and I knew I was glaring, why was I glaring?

After a long pause, I muttered a hasty 'same here' at him, but it sounded more like 'samhar.' I felt my brows furrow and my lips tighten. I was becoming embarrassed at how I was reacting to this strange boy. Why was my body betraying me?

Oh man, maybe I'm sick? Casimir looked at me quizzically. He must be wondering why I am glaring at him, he thinks I hate him. Why do I care? I bit my lip and glanced downward. I tried to focus on Mr. Burke's lecture about late homework. My fingers continued their nervous tapping routine.

I guess I should take this moment to better explain my secret talent; that is, besides my gift for endless caffeine-guzzling and weird dreams. Zola calls this talent my 'Bullshit Radar', I would just call it strange. I have the ability to sense others' emotions. A simple way to describe it was that I act kind of like a human mood ring. It comes to me in waves or flashes, and sometimes even colors depending on how strongly someone is feeling. I could tell when people were happy, sad, scared, and a myriad of other feelings. The more useful part of that power was that I could also tell if others were being honest. This was the part of my powers I had decided to always keep to myself, my deepest secret. Because I found out rather quickly that no one wants to be friends with a person who always knew when you were lying. Sitting next to Casimir my radar felt nothing. I had never felt nothing before, and this was very scary to me. My nerves ramped up and I began to feel a touch of nausea. I gave up my nervous finger tapping to place my head in my hands.

Oh god, please don't puke. I had to get out of here.

"Am I boring you, Ms. Massey?" Mr. Burke inquired loudly.

Oh wow, Ms. Massey, that would be me. The entire class turned to stare, of course. I look up to see the teacher I worked so hard to impress, angry that I would waste his time. I wasn't sure what to say in response, I just felt ill. Mean snickering and awkward coughing filled the silence.

"No sir Mr. Burke, of course not," I gulped, as soon as my brain could somewhat form the sentence. Mr. Burke had finished the announcements and was actually starting class. I noticed my fellow students had begun to pull out their essays ready for review. The teacher was about to turn around to write something on the board when my nausea returned. I stole a quick glance at Casimir who had a small notebook for writing on his desk, pen in hand. I turned away before we could exchange eye contact and stood up quickly, too quickly. My chair clattered behind me, making an awful crashing noise that brought the entire classroom to a halt once again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 212 36
After a tragic accident leaves her with holes in her memory, Selene is sent to Whitethorn Academy, a school far away from everything she's ever known...
628 86 31
A mythical underwater kingdom; handsome, mysterious brothers with a hero complex, and a girl with a surprising heritage. What could possibly go wron...
153 7 16
Just a random story P.S. book 1 is in Webnovel book 2 is in softcopy. Will post it after i finish editing.
4K 393 42
Part 2 of Lilia's Tale. Now arrived at the academy, and despite the very rough first week of handling the other students, school is about to start. H...