Brown Skinned Bet

By MarieB_5

Pacific Crest International High School,Lekki,Lagos State. To Nigerian parents,its just the school they wish... More

Prologue
Chapter I
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII
Chapter XXIX
Chapter XXX
Chapter XXXI
Chapter XXXII
Chapter XXXIII
Chapter XXXIV
Chapter XXXV
Chapter XXXVI
Chapter XXXVII
Chapter XXXVIII
Chapter XXXIX
Chapter XL
Chapter XLI
Chapter XLII
Chapter XLIII
Chapter XLIV
Chapter XLV
Chapter XLVI
Chapter XLVII
Chapter XLVIII
Last Part
The Yearbook
New Book Lurk

Chapter II

284 46 4
By MarieB_5

Daryl

         "Epl just dey vex my blood guy" Andrew declared as we walked down the apianway which led to our classroom. Students were prohibited from taking the apianway because it was the major way to our administrative blocks but we'd somehow made it into a strictly final year students pathway.

         "Abi na you wan support Crystal Palace,wetin you sef expect?" Temi laughed from beside me. "Ordinary Aston Villa fit kill una sef" Yomi laughed.

        "But Aston Villa dey play na,them dey try" I added in defence. "You no mean am" sarcasm dripped off Sele's tone.

        "No dey laugh joorh,seriously. No be Aston Villa give Man U 4-2 which day here. Them dey try" I defended.

         "Daryl,you for like dey with your Liverpool in peace o" Temi jabbed me. "I no just blame una,I know wetin I dey talk" I shrugged.

        "The Epl just dey start na,make una take chills make game fit unfold" Collins added from the front as we finally reached the staircase of our classroom.

         "I sha know say Liverpool go carry am" I added proudly. "Shuu,them carry am last season na..." I was quick to cut Collins off.

        "Them say if you win something you no fit win am again?" I fired at him as we walked into the classroom. "Abeg it's okay,both of you. Small talk,small talk,quarrel go start" Temi cautioned.

        "Who dey quarrel with am?" I hissed as the five of us headed for the last two seats of the first column of the classroom.

        "Chai,SS3 students! First afternoon prep and nobody is in class sef" Temi complained,settling beside me on the very last seat while Yomi and Andrew took their seats on the table so they were seated facing us while Sele and Collins just had to seat on the chair.

        "This head boy work hard sha" I teased,making Temi sigh. "That is ehn" he groaned.

         "Abeg,who did Chemistry THA(Take Home Assignment) ni?" Yomi questioned. "That assignment wey be like scientific research,abeg I'm going to dub from anybody who did o" Andrew sighed.

        "E get anything wey you no dey dub? How we go take dey sure say you no dey dub your life?" Temi hissed at him.

        "Jowo o. Man cant come and kill himself o" Andrew replied,taking to his feet. "Where are you going?" Collins questioned. "I wan drink water abeg" he replied.

         "Fetch for me o" Collins requested just before Andrew stepped out of the class. "Daryl" Collins turned to me.

         I ran my gaze over him sceptically before replying "What?" I questioned. "How far that your babe na?" He laughed.

        "Which babe again?" I retorted. "Ahah! Na why I dey call you bastard be this! You nor even know the babe we dey talk about,fine boy no pimples" Yomi mocked making us laugh.

        "No na,I dont know what he's actually talking about na" I laughed. "Oya,let me ask you. How far Dunni?" Yomi asked.

        "We still dey this Dunni matter?" I questioned earning a roaring laughter from all of them. "I tell una say that Dunni matter don finish na abi" Temi let out admist his laughter.

        "How e tey happen abeg?" Sele asked as their laughs finally died down. "Nothing,I just told her I was tired" I shrugged.

        "Bad guy!!" Sele hailed making even me laugh this time. "Chai,and you bring that babe come our hostel abi?" Temi questioned.

         "Ehen and so?" I questioned back. "This Daryl ehn,na correct bastard you be o" Yomi laughed. "Guy leave me o,make I no even open your chapter" I laughed back.

         "Daryl na you know o. Me,I'm a child of God" Yomi laughed. "Child of God ni,see this werey" Temi hissed.

          "But Daryl how you go do that kind thing to that babe naw? You know say she really like you" Collins added. I was starting to believe that Collins lived for sticking his nose in my business.

         "Collins wetin?! Wetin dey do you sef? If you dey pity am,go date am na! Shoot your shot ni,no dey disturb me" I fired at him.

         "Ahah na,it has not reach that extent" Sele cajoled. "Abeg the guy the always vex me abeg" I sneered,ignoring Sele's remark.

        "Daryl,you're always feeling like you can just get any girl you want..." I was quick to cut Collins off again. "So far so good bro,I've gotten every girl I wanted so far. Know that and know peace" I told him fiercely.

         "Its not like I want girls...." I cut him off again. "Then rest! Hoor!" I exclaimed. "You people should calm down abeg,Collins you stop na" Yomi cautioned.

         "For real abeg,its okay" Temi added while I just hissed. "Abeg Temi where's that your rubix cube?" I questioned,checking his school bag which lay beside me on the chair and taking it out.

         Thirty seconds into me trying to rearrange the pattern on the cube,Collins took off from where he'd left. "See ehn,what I'm trying to say is that,Daryl's own is too much" This time I was sure to ignore him.

        "Collins,you no dey hear rest?" Sele questioned as Temi took to his feet. "I'm going to walk around abeg,and find all those stupid SS2 prep prefects. Abeg,Collins let it die" Temi warned just before strolling out of the class.

         "Daryl" He called again,this time though I wasnt sure I could contain the anger. I looked up from the rubix cube in my hands,my aim being to silence him this time but instead my gaze fell on someone else before it could fall on him.

        Cornrows arranged so neatly that I thought it was the first time I was seeing the hairstyle,her orbs fixated on her friend who seemed to be filling her in on only God knew what. She was neither too tall nor too short,just that normal average height,her zebrawear hiding the better features of her physique and giving out only the slight yet perfect curves which only left you to your imagination.

         Looking at her from this view,I felt a deeper extension of everything I'd felt yesterday afternoon. Her skin painted perfect caramel with melanin seemed to accentuate her slightly round yet still oval face,her slim lips curling into a smile at whatever her friend had told her.

        "Daryl no dey with us again o" Sele teased which brought me back to earth. This was the second time it had happened to me,zoning out when I looked at her.

         "I no just blame you guy" I laughed. "Abi you want that one too?" Collins questioned again. "Collins nawa for you o" Yomi hissed.

        "Let him answer na. Daryl,I don drop 10k(#10,000) now. You no fit get that babe in 2 weeks" Collins told me. I glared at him,long and hard. "Who is that?" I questioned obliviously.

         "No dey do like say you nor know. Kainene" He told me,bringing his voice down so the girls a few seats away from us at the second column of the class wouldnt hear us.

         "Ah,that girl na no go area o" Yomi started. "Is she not Temi's family friend that year? You people should leave her o,Temi go vex" Sele added.

         I looked at all of them,then to Kainene and back to them again. "One week is more than enough" I told Collins. "Ehen,good" Collins laughed.

        "Infact,if I dont have her at the end of this week,me,I go drop 10k" I told him. "Una come dey bet on top the girl head?" Yomi questioned.

       "Tell Collins to ready his 10k sha" I told them,going back to the rubix cube in my hands. Honestly,I wasnt so sure I would be able to get her. She seemed much fiercer than normal girls and I guessed that scared me a bit. But,I never back down from a good fight,especially one brought forward by Collins.

Kainene

        "Onome come let's be going na,which one is all this slow slow that you're doing?" I groaned,standing beside the door frame of our room.

         "Wait na,I'm already done" she told me,bringing her school bag down to her bed. "Almost done almost done,that's how I've been here for almost ten minutes and you still want to rub cream" I complained again.

          "Oya sorry,sorry. I've finished" she replied,placing her lotion bottle back into her cosmetic bag and grabbing her school bag.

          "Let's go" she smiled. I hissed,turning on my heels and walking out of the room. "Annabelle,you'll lock hostel right?" I stopped the girl,the hostel captain,who was just about to wall past me.

         "Yes,dont worry. You can go" she told me before walking off. "Thank you!" I yelled back before continuing in our way out of the hostel.

        We threaded down the slabways of the school,looking back every now and then to make sure that every one of my juniors behind me was hurrying to get past me,else they would get punished.

         "This is one thing I hate about school ehn! This sun wants to melt me" Onome complained. "At least you're not fair na,you don't have to worry about getting darker" I told her.

          "Kaine,because I'm not fair doesnt mean I want to turn into charcoal o" she snapped at me. "Sorry ma,no vex" I laughed.

           Our little chit chat was cut off when we got to the corridors of the school building and I had to start driving students into their classes as well as getting the various classes to quiet down. Most of the other prep prefects,as well as Oseghale,the head girl seemed to be walking about the block too so that made my work as assistant head prep prefect easier.

         "Abi you said you went to your aunts house during the holiday. How was it na?" I questioned as we got to the staircase leading to our classroom.

           "Omo,it was mad! Her house is so fine ehnn" She started her story. "Onome but your house is very fine too na" I laughed at the irony of her statement.

          "Yes,but this one was something else abeg. She even had swimming pool Kaine! Freaking swimming pool!" She exclaimed as we walked into the class and I couldnt help but laugh at her exaggerations.

          "If somebody sees you now,they'll think that you won one million naira" I laughed as we headed for the second column of the class.

         "Ehn leave it like that,please let's sit under the fan" she stated,settling on the second seat of the column with me following suit.

         "Our classmates sha have mind o,see how class is empty." Onome stated,looking around. "Its first day na,the SS3 is still peppering their body. Allow them,dont worry" I shrugged.

         "Where did Jade even say she was going?" I questioned,taking out a novel from my bag. "I don't even know for her,I think she said something about matrons office sha,I'm not sure" Onome replied.

         "No wahala" I told her,paging my novel till I got to where I'd left off. "I thought you would be jacking today ehn,but see you reading novel" She teased me.

         "Abeg,cant a girl rest?" I laughed back. "But guy,you legitely took first last term o,two times in a row now" Onome added while I just shrugged.

         It'd been tough for me,I'd worked my butt off to get to where I was academically and I knew I wasnt letting it slip out of my fingers any time soon. I had a plan for myself,I had a plan to be a much better person than my mum,I had a target and I was going at it. But today,I just needed a break I guess.

          "I'm coming back,please watch my bag for me" Onome requested about ten minutes into my reading. "Why? Where are you going?" I questioned but instead of a reply,she gave me a sheepish grin before stepping out of the class.

          I let out a huff before an actual chuckle knowing fully well where she was headed to. "It will not pass Aimua" I commented under my breath. I noticed the boys who'd sat behind the class waltz out of the class which I greatly appreciated because the noise got tuned down.

         Just as I was about to go back to the book in my hands,a voice pulled me back to reality yet again.

         "Hey" Even though I hadnt looked up,the deep and husky pitch of the voice informed me well enough that it belonged to a male figure.

         "Can't a girl read in peace?" I murmured under my breath before looking up,the face which fell on my gaze did little or nothing to ease my irritation. "Sorry,I didnt hear you" he told me.

          "I didnt say anything" I shrugged,feeling my indifference towards his mere purpose of being here drip off my tone. "Um...okay" he said.

         "Okay" I gave a tight smile and attempted to go back to my novel. "So what's up now?" He asked,settling on the seat before mine while I just stared at him plainly.

          "Nothing. Just hanging out with people who happen to know my name,lucky me right?" I snapped at him with a sarcastic smile.

          "Are we still on that Kainene?" He questioned with a smirk while I just stared at him,my irritation growing the more he spoke. "Okay fine,I'm sorry." He stated with a chuckle,one which irked me.

         "What do you want Daryl? Am I owing you money?" I fired at him again. "I just came to talk na,nothing more nothing less" he stated which earned another eye roll from me.

         "Okay,you have talked,you can now take your leave" I spat at him. "Calm down Kainene,I've not even said anything yet" he chuckled after a brief while of what I could call puzzlement.

         "Oya say" I urged. "Thank you for what you did yesterday,I figured I didnt thank you" he told me. "Not a problem Daryl,is that all?"

         Like the very heavens heard my prayers,the bell went off signalling us that afternoon prep was over and it was time for evening prayers at the chapel and just then,Onome walked back into the class.

        "Shuu,Daryl what happened?" Onome questioned as she got to where we were while Daryl simply took to his feet. I could never ask for a better best friend.

        "Nothing" Daryl shrugged at her before looking to me. "So Kainene,we'll talk later right?" He questioned.

         "Talk where? The talk has finished na" I shrugged,putting my book back into my bag. "I'll take that as a yes" he smiled before walking off.

          "Abeg is that boy's ear malfunctioning?" I questioned,feeling even more riled up. "Leave him abeg,is it not Daryl again,leave him biko" Onome advised as we picked up our school bags.

         "He shouldnt buy my matter o,I dont have that kind of energy,Ma nwuo(Before I die)" I grunted. "If he tries,na him go suffer am" Onome's hearty laughs filled the emptiness of the classroom just before we walked out.

          Hey people! So its legitely 11:30 on the dot and I just had to finish this chapter. I'm so sorry if you're not understanding the pidgin language,I know the use was quite excessive in this chapter.

         But dont forget. You can always tap the comment button regarding any confusions and I'll answer your questions right away! Please do read on🤗. Love y'all💕.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.7K 2.2K 43
Ruby just started at her new school and trips into a complicated life, involving her best friend's boyfriend, Matthew. And God, did she try to keep a...
42.8K 12.7K 41
When Dieko's father becomes a drunkard overnight, her mother becomes a punching bag but she endures it hoping it will all end soon but when he then b...
8.6K 1.8K 44
"Roses are dead, violets are dying; outside I'm smiling but inside I'm crying" "Conceal, don't feel, put on a show Make one wrong move and everyone w...
54.5K 13.9K 37
"Do you remember your highschool in Nigeria?" I asked. "Nigeria? No, I studied abroad!" "No! You were in Nigeria.Do you remember me?" "You? Am I supp...