Losing Game/// James Potter

By gryffinpufffffff

"You should tell him, you know," a familiar voice softly said from behind her. "I know you love him." "Remus... More

~Extended Summary/Face Claim~
Playlist
~Prologue~
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
UPDATE
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
END NOTES:
Character Q&A

Chapter 30

60.6K 2K 4.9K
By gryffinpufffffff

*RECOMMENDATION: Listen to the song "Lady in Red" by Chris de Burgh (attached above) as it is playing in this chapter*

It had been a week since the incident with James, and Christmas had finally came. Elsie, who was trying her best to cope with the lingering thoughts of being intimate with her best friend, was in her room the morning of Christmas making sure she had all of her gifts in order. She had already owled Marlene, Alice, and Lily their gifts throughout the week so she didn't have to worry about theirs anymore. The Marauders were all going over to James' house for the Potter's annual Christmas dinner and she planned on giving them their gifts then. Her parents' gifts were already under the Christmas tree. And currently, she was getting her last two gifts ready to be owled out.

Elsie carefully placed each colorful friendship string bracelet in a separate box while copying the exact same note for each person...

If you're ever feeling lonely, here's a reminder that you'll always find a friend in me. You're not alone, even if you feel like you are...
~Elsie

She chuckled knowing the two boys wouldn't wear them, but it's the thought that counts. Even if they weren't the most liked and outgoing people, they had the biggest hearts and just needed a little love. So, she closed the boxes and tied them to her dad's owl, who she had been using to send out her gifts. After telling the bird who they were for, she watched as the owl fluttered away before making her way down to open gifts with her family.

As soon as she came down the stairs, she ran over to the couch that her parents were sitting on and placed a kiss on both of their cheeks. She smiled widely and exclaimed, "Happy Christmas!"

Elsie took the seat in between her parents as her dad ruffled her hair and chuckled, "Happy Christmas, little lady. I'm guessing you want to open presents?"

"Well, of course," She began teasing her parents in a joking manner, "Why else would I want to be sitting next to you two?!"

Her dad laughed as her mum playfully rolled her eyes and looked at her husband, "She's definitely your daughter."

"I would hope so," Duncan winked at his wife while getting up and walking over to the Christmas tree. He picked up each present and placed them in front of the person they were for, as he did every year.

"Little lady, why don't you open yours first," he suggested while beginning to jokingly pout, "It seems like you have the most."

"I swear I married a 5 year old," Arabella laughed out loud while walking over and sitting on the ground next to her husband and in front of her daughter, "Go on, Sweetheart."

Elsie excitedly tore through all of the presents that she had gotten with a huge smile on her face. Lily had gotten her a beautiful, small wooden kneazle figurine, Marlene gave her an empty bottle of fire whiskey decorated with lights and flowers so it could be used as a lamp, and Alice had given her a cute little flower crown with a note saying that she made it all by herself. From her parents, she had gotten a book of defensive and offensive auror spells and a muggle record player similar to the one she bought Sirius.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" She screamed while hopping onto the floor in front of the couch and pulling her parents into a tight hug.

Arabella chuckled at her daughter before pulling out of the hug and going back under the tree. She grabbed four more hidden gifts and placed them in Elsie's hands, "Here, these are for tonight."

Elsie carefully unwrapped the first one. It was a rectangular box with a note resting on top of it. She picked up the note and read it in her head.

To make my son realize what he's missing out on...
~Euphemia

Her cheeks blushed bright red at the note and she quickly stuffed it into her pocket, before opening the box. A gorgeous pair of gold high heels sparkled in front of her. A smile grew onto her face and her eyes lit up at the pair of shoes.

Next, she opened up the two tiny, matching, and messily wrapped gifts. The first of the two had a piece of ripped paper and sloppy handwriting, that was similar to James', covering the actual gift.

Euphemia made me buy this. Make sure to tell your dad that my wrapping is better than his;)
~Fleamont P.

Elsie chuckled while moving the paper out of the way to reveal a singular red and gold dangling flower earring. Her eyes grew wide in awe. It was absolutely beautiful, probably one of the prettiest pieces of jewelry she had ever owned. However, she was curious as to why their was only one. Her question was answered when she opened the gift that was shaped exactly like the one she just unwrapped. After ripping off the equally messy wrapping paper, Elsie found another note that was folded over and over again until it was the size of the gift behind it.

Your mum made me buy this. You better tell Fleamont that I wrapped your gift nicer than he did!!!
~The coolest dad in the world

She once again let out a laugh while revealing the other matching earring. And finally, there was one last gift. She opened the box and read the white note left on top of it.

Because you deserve to look as beautiful as your heart is...
~Mum

Elsie carefully placed the note down and picked up a short, red silk dress. Her eyes widened and her mouth dropped at the breathtaking dress in front of her. It was absolutely beautiful. Elsie was at a lost of words, and simply decided to throw her arms around her mum once again. She whispered thank you, before letting her parents open their gifts. Her dad went first, followed by her mum. When they were all finished, Duncan had placed one last gift in front of his wife.

"For me?" Arabella questioned as a wide smile grew on her face and her husband nodded with a smirk. She opened the small bag and held up a lacy piece of black lingerie.

Elsie pretended to throw up at the sight of what her dad gave her mum, as Arabella slapped Duncan in the back of the head while chuckling, "git."

After they were finally finished, Elsie made her way up to her room to begin getting ready for the Potter's fancy dinner party. She let her hair down and curled them into loose waves, and put on a light dose of makeup. The earrings that her dad and Fleamont gave her hang gracefully from her ears as she slipped on the stunning red dress that her mom had bought for her. It was a lively red color with a silky texture that perfectly draped loosely over her body. It had a plunging cowl neckline and a low-drop back, making her look and feel like the woman she is. Lastly, she slipped on the gold heels that Euphemia gave her and walked over to the mirror to examine herself.

When she was done getting ready, she yelled to her parents down the stairs that she was going to the Potter's house early. Elsie grabbed her wand and apparated into Sirius' room for a change.

She landed by the window of his room and turned around to see a frightened Sirius Black staring back at her.

"Bloody hell, Els. Don't do that, you scared me," Sirius breathily said as a hand was dramatically placed over his heart.

Elsie chuckled while rolling her eyes and walked over to him, "Don't be so dramatic. Aren't you supposed to be getting dressed?"

"Well, I was about to before you decided to poof yourself into my room," Sirius crossed his arms over his chest while smirking and replying to the girl teasingly, "You could've just told me you wanted to get in bed with me. But, I'm not sure Prongs would like that."

"Prat," Elsie chuckled while slapping Sirius playfully in the arm.

"I'm going to go check on that git and make sure he's not slacking like some people I know," she began speaking again while pointing knowingly at Sirius. Elsie walked over to the door and was about to walk through it, when Sirius called out her name.

"Els?" Sirius let out from behind the girl. Elsie turned around and raised her eyebrow curiously at Sirius, encouraging him to continue on.

"You look amazing," he genuinely smiled at Elsie, as a happy expression grew on her face. She walked back over to Sirius and planted a sloppy kiss on his cheek, "Thanks, Padfoot."

With that being said, she left his room and went to go check on James. As she neared his room, she could hear muggle music sounding out from the direction she was heading in. Elsie slowly opened his door and laughed at the sight she saw in front of her.

James was dancing around in nothing but a white button-up and a pair of boxers, while singing into his hairbrush. Elsie began laughing and shut the door behind her, catching the attention of the spectacled boy.

"Merlin, Els," James nervously chuckled while throwing his brush to the side of the room and pretending nothing ever happened, "Don't you know how to knock?!"

Elsie simply giggled at his response while teasing him, "And don't you know how to sing on key?"

James walked over to the record player he was borrowing from Sirius and lowered the volume of the music. He then looked up at Elsie to start a conversation, but suddenly couldn't form any words. It was as if all the air was sucked out of his body. His eyes trailed up and down her, taking in the breathtaking view of how she looked. Her dress outlined her perfectly and showed just enough skin to drive him crazy He was captivated by the red dress that was the same color as her lips, the ones that were now so familiar to his. Her smooth, revealed legs stuck out and made her look so feminine and confident, that he was practically putty in her hands. She looks so beautiful...

"James, are you okay?" Elsie called out from James' bed, which she was now leaning against.

He cleared his throat, trying to gain his breath back, and began stuttering, "Erm...y-yeah."

James walked over to Elsie and grabbed her hand in his while breathing out, "You look beautiful, Elsie."

Her cheeks turned red against her will and she locked eyes with the boy in front of her, "Thanks, James."

They gazed into each others eyes for a second before Elsie looked down at what he was wearing and winked at him, "So do you."

James realized he was still in only his boxers and shirt, and quickly ran over to his closet to pull out a pair of navy blue dress pants. He slipped them on while tucking in the white, long sleeve button-up, and fastening a brown belt onto his pants. He finished off the look by pushing his sleeves half way up to reveal his strong arms. Elsie had to practically stop herself from drooling at the sight of him. He's so bloody handsome...

James walked back over to her before chuckling and teasingly bowing at her, "Is this better for your liking, your Royal Highness?"

"I think I liked the boxers better," Elsie joked and nudged James with her elbow, as he playfully rolled his eyes at her and dramatically held his hand over his heart, "You wound me."

As their laughter died down, James heard one of his favorite love songs start playing on the record player. He ran over and raised the volume before offering his hand out to Elsie, "Care to dance, beautiful lady?"

Elsie giggled and accepted his hand. He pulled her close to him and began to playfully dance with the girl in front of him. He swung his arms loosely around her hips as he began to sing the words that had just started sounding out.

"I've never seen you looking so lovely as you did tonight"

James took one of her hands in his and kept the other one on her waist, as he crazily swayed them back and forth around his room.

"I've never seen you shine so bright"

He continued moving the girl wildly back in forth in a joking manner, causing her to start hysterically laughing.

"I've never seen so many men ask you if you wanted to dance"

Elsie teasingly rolled her eyes at James' terrible singing, but secretly loved every second of what was happening. James lifted up his arm with her hand in his, and guided her body under it in order for her to spin out.

"They're looking for a little romance, given half a chance"

James pulled her back into his arms and lifted her body off of the floor, dramatically holding her by her waist in the air. Her laugh contagiously made a goofy smile spread onto his face.

"And I have never seen that dress your wearing"

He slowly began to bring her down from the air, locking eyes with her while doing so.

"Or the highlights in your hair that catch your eyes"

Suddenly the laughter within the room was replaced by gazes into each other's eyes and fastening heart beats. James placed her back on the ground and slipped his arms around her waist pulling her as close to him as possible, as she slipped her arms around his neck. The two never broke eye contact while doing so.

"I have been blind..."

James' singing, along with the song in the background, was the only sound filling the air. He began thinking about the girl in front of him as the words flowed out of his mouth. Something shifted, something changed. James couldn't place his fingers on what it was, but suddenly he felt as if Elsie was opening his eyes to a world he had never seen before. Beautiful and brilliant and bursting at the seams, James never wanted to stop seeing everything in such bright colors.

"The lady in red is dancing with me, cheek to cheek"

He stared down into Elsie's eyes thinking about how breathtaking they were, wishing he was thinking about anything else instead. If he could just focus on something else maybe he would be able to breath normally again, maybe his heart would stop pounding as hard as it was in his chest. Yet he couldn't, because her eyes had him in a trance. It was suffocating, breathtaking, terrifying drowning in her eyes. But, James had never felt so alive.

"There's nobody here, it's just you and me"

James had never truly given a real thought about whether or not he had feelings for his best friend. But right now, that's all he could see. Feelings and feelings and feelings, all for Elsie.

"It's where I want to be"

His fingers dug gently into her waist, holding her, keeping her right where she was. James' mind was screaming at him to never let her go, that the second his hands moved from her that life for him would go back to being nothing, empty, colorless.

"But I hardly know this beauty by my side,"

James had never understood feeling like a stranger in his own home, not until right now. Elsie has been all he's ever known since the second she's stepped into his life, but not like this. Not when all he wanted to do was hold her, touch her, breathe her, know her more than anyone ever had. And he was absolutely scared, but absolutely certain.

"I'll never forget the way you look tonight..."

There was no more denying himself of the truth. James realized that he had feelings for his best friends...James liked Elsie.

At that moment, nothing could tear him away from looking at the girl in front of him. Her blue eyes have never seemed so brilliant before, like the endless sea that he wanted to conquer. He wanted to jump into them and swim around the cool, blue ocean for hours on end. He wanted to get lost in them and never be found. His gaze then trailed down to her red lips. He had never wanted to kiss someone so badly, he never wanted to press his lips against someone else's so badly.

Just then, the door of his room was barged open and a nicely dressed Remus was standing in the doorway. James and Elsie broke apart from their moment, as James gulped nervously in his spot. Elsie had said something to Remus, but he couldn't retain a word she said. His mind was in complete and utter chaos. I have feelings for Elsie...

Before James knew it, it was just him and Remus in the room.

"Why do you look like you're about to be sick?" Remus questioned curiously while closing the door behind him and walking towards James.

James looked up anxiously at his friend and found himself saying the words he never thought he'd admit, "I-I like my best friend. I have feelings for Elsie."

——————————————————————————
AUTHORS NOTE:

ITS ABOUT DAMN TIME, JAMES. Don't think it's that easy tho...trust me theres a lot more to come;)

I hope you guys are doing okay and staying safe with corona!!! Here's an early update because of how awesome you guys have been to me<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.4K 894 23
!This was discontinued until I posted the rest of the pre-written chapters. Many are unedited so forgive me! 7th year (Y/N) Black. Sirius's Older si...
2.2K 23 40
"Only a few inches separated the pair" "She drew her body closer to the boy" Trigger warning: mentions of abuse, mentions suicide, swearing , sexual...
3.1K 56 68
As Sirius grew up, he not only had to battle the growing disappointment his parents had brewing for him, but also the odd dance that fired in his sto...
912 44 56
It all started to make sense to Sirius, bit by bit. He wanted desperately to be himself, to belong somewhere and be excepted as himself, "But how do...