Shot In The Dark [Book 1]

By maryahraelynn

"You left him back home, in Australia?" "I didn't want to, of course." ♡︎♡︎♡︎ Margo has always been known as... More

0.1 - A Familiar Face
0.2 - The Golden Girl
0.3 - The Lion's Den
0.4 - Liar Among Us
0.5 - Let Me Jump
0.6 - Caught Red Handed
0.7 - People Like Him
0.8 - The Three Musketeers
0.9 - It's Worth It
1.0 - Grain Of Sand
1.2 - Back To December
1.3 - Stupid Little Things
1.4 - Back To You
1.5 - Only Had One
1.6 - Wishing On Dandelions
1.7 - Only A Dream
1.8 - I Needed You
1.9 - Kiss And Tell
2.0 - Only Safe Space
2.1 - Thinking Of You
2.2 - It's Our Problem
2.3 - Not Like Usual
2.4 - My Dead Body
2.5 - Learning Self Defence
2.6 - It's Always Hailey
2.7 - Obviously Best Friends
2.8 - Country Bumpkin Bestie
2.9 - The Brit Awards
3.0 - Looking For Myself
3.1 - Coke And Lesbians
3.2 - What It Seems
3.3 - Who Raised Me
3.4 - A Sore Thumb
3.5 - Accents And Introductions
3.6 - Crack And Whores
3.7 - Wants And Needs
3.8 - Dead Girl Walking
3.9 - Stories For Strangers
4.0 - Actions Have Consequences
4.1 - Series Of Events
4.2 - Racing With Chase
4.3 - Before The End
4.4 - Love And Lust
4.5 - Lost And Found
4.6 - In Your Eyes
4.7 - Memories And Videos
4.8 - New Beginning
4.9 - Pucker Up
5.0 - The World
5.1 - Goodbyes
5.2 - Golden
5.3 - Crystals
5.4 - Fireworks
5.5
epilogue

1.1 - A Losing Game

75 4 0
By maryahraelynn

The session with Kate really opened my eyes on the whole situation. I just need to have time to myself, hoping to get my feelings sorted out.

Although that may sound easy, I have to ignore Calum.

"We don't have anything else to do today. That gives you time to rest." Abe mumbles, opening my door for me and allowing me to get out.

I mumble a thanks to the driver before Abe closes the door. I suck in a deep breath, attempting to calm my nerves as we approach my house, when I hear someone call my name.

"Margo, you're home!" Luke calls out and I mentally curse myself for spending the whole car ride only preparing to ignore Calum. I must've forgotten that I live next to all four of them.

"Yeah, I was actually just going to-" I begin to state the excuse that Kate and I practiced when he interrupts me.

"Do you want to go out with us?" He blurts out, causing me to blink a few times. "I'm so sorry. I meant to say, do you want to hang out with us tonight?"

The question causes my nerves to build up, my fingers finding their way to my leg so I can stab my nails into the skin.

"I'm busy, I'm sorry." I respond too quickly and he furrows his eyebrows slightly.

"Oh, alright." He sighs and I feel a sharp pain in my chest. "Well I'll talk to you later, have a good day."

He gives me a soft smile and I turn to Abe, only to notice he's already in the house.

This might be hard than I expected.

———

I walk into the kitchen, filling my mug with coffee, when I hear faint yelling coming from the guys' house. I set my mug down and slide my feet into my house shoes, not bothering to grab a jacket as I open the front door.

I peek around the door and notice Calum on the porch with Luke. They seem to be arguing, but before I can turn around, Calum swings at Luke.

I gasp, letting go of the door handle and sprinting over to the scene.

"Hey! What the fuck is going on?!" I scream at them, but they ignore me. Calum tosses Luke to the ground and I run onto their porch, beating on the door. "Hello?! Someone please help!"

I look around, frantically searching for a way to stop them when I spot a scarecrow hanging onto the pillar. I rip it off the pillar and run off the porch towards them.

I begin hitting Calum on the back with the scarecrow as hard as I can, causing him to shift his attention from Luke to me. He turns to me, anger filling his eyes as he looks at me. My heart is pounding in my ears, barely allowing me to hear the front door open.

Mikey runs over to Luke as Ashton runs over to me and Calum. He pulls Calum away from me, allowing me to see Luke lying on the ground.

"What the fuck was that?" I look at Calum as if he's insane. "You almost fucking killed him!"

"Stop being overdramatic." He rolls his eyes, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. "You weren't even here to know how it started."

"You're joking." I lower my voice, almost laughing at his attitude. "Fine, tell me what was the big magnificent reason for you to beat your band mate senseless."

I cross my arms and stare at Calum, waiting for him to respond. Instead, he pulls away from Ashton and begins walking towards the house. I look around, spotting the scarecrow I just nearly knocked him out with, walking over to grab it.

I pick it up and stomp up behind him, raising the scarecrow in the air, ready to launch it at his head. As soon as I begin to retract my arm, trying to throw it, Ashton grabs me.

"Answer me you asshole!" I yell, trying to wiggle out of Ashton's grasp. "Tell me what the fuck caused you to turn into a psychopath!"

Calum stops walking and turns around, not a single hint of regret in his eyes. He approaches me and looks past me at Luke.

"He likes to open his mouth when he shouldn't." He spits the words out as if they have a sour taste and I turn to Luke, only to notice Michael clenching his fists.

"I told you he didn't say anything to her!" Mikey yells, causing me to flinch. I look between the two of them, still confused as to what's going on.

"What are the two of you even on about?" I finally ask, moving out of Ashton's grip.

"The night you almost got shot, there's a reason they only went after you. A reason why they didn't bother Calum." Ashton speaks quietly, causing me to have to strain to hear him.

"What's the reason?" I ask, looking around at them. "Huh?! Is no one going to fucking tell me?!" I walk over to Calum and he doesn't bother looking down at me. "Tell me!"

He still doesn't move so I begin to laugh. Never in my life have I begged for a guy to talk to me, and I'm not starting now.

"Fine, don't tell me." I shrug, backing away from him as all of them turn to me. "But don't bother telling me anything else either. This, whatever it was, is over."

"You're acting like you won't be back to talking to us again tomorrow. Besides, we're fake dating, remember?" Calum responds, a smug expression on his face as if he did something.

I pull my phone out of my pocket and text Jeff a short message and hitting send before holding my phone out for Calum to see.

"As far as Jeff knows, you're history." I pull my phone back towards my body, putting it into my pocket.

"That's not going to be a good story for your reputation." Calum snorts and I smirk.

"Maybe not for yours, but I've already planted my name into the media. They know me as the girl who can get knocked down but get back up in a matter of minutes." I explain the way the food chain works and I notice a visible change in Calum's demeanour. "You're just my ex-boyfriend. Fake or not."

"That's not going to work." He shakes his head, pulling out his phone. "There's no way it will."

"I'm Margo Roberts, everything I say goes."

———

"Margo, talk to me please." Calum knocks on the front door, for the fourth time in the past two days.

I ignore him and walk into the living room where Abe is sitting.

"I thought you liked him?" Abe asks and I shake my head.

"I don't like liars." I shrug, making my way through the living room and to the stairs. "I definitely don't call people that keep important things from me my friends."

I'm sure Abe feels how the last statement is a shot towards him, because he stands up and walks out the front door without another word.

I roll my eyes and walk upstairs, entering my room and letting out a sigh.

The air has felt thicker than usual. Almost as if being around Calum made everything that was weighing me down lift off of my shoulders.

I may just be saying that because I manipulated myself into thinking it but I feel as if it could be true.

That's what happens when your role model turns out to be a horrible person, leaving you no choice other than moving to Los Angeles and making a name for yourself.

I miss my family, don't get me wrong, but there are so many more cons with being around them than there are pros.

Instead of thinking about the situation any further, I decide to grab my journal and sit on my bed.

I flip through the years of songs, poems and notes that I've written over-time, looking for a blank page. As soon as I find one, I grab a pen off of my bedside table and click it three times.

Hopefully if I click it enough, some gears will start turning in my head.

After around sixteen clicks, I decide to set the pen down and brainstorm. As soon as I lean my back against the wall, something hits my window, causing me to flinch.

I freeze in my spot, listening to see if it'll happen again. After a few moments, it happens again.

I stand up and grab a bat that I keep in my closet, scared that another paparazzi hopped the fence.

As I approach the window, pulling back the curtain, I notice a familiar silhouette in my backyard. I furrow my eyebrows at the sight of Calum searching for rocks in my garden.

I set the bat down and pull the window open, leaning my head out of it and looking around.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" I call out to him and he looks up at me like a deer caught in headlights.

"You won't answer any of my messages, so I went to plan B." He shrugs, looking around at the scene laid out in front of us. He reaches up to scratch the back of his head, his shoulders falling. "I'm now realizing that I look insane."

"You think?" I snap at him, placing my elbows on the windowsill. "You're lucky I didn't call the cops. Get off of my property."

"Margo, I'm sorry I kept so much stuff from you. It was wrong, I realize that now, but I can't make it up to you if you're not talking to me." He tries to plead his case, but I don't buy it.

"It's over Calum, it's in the past. You should've thought about this before you fucking knocked Luke out and decided not to tell me any of that stuff." I shake my head and he runs his hand through his hair.

"What can I do to make it up to you?"

At this point, he genuinely looks sorry, but the words that Jeff has burned into my brain keep lingering.

Friends are distractions, especially at my age.

This situation is an amazing example of me being distracted by some teenage boy. As soon as he move in next door and began taking over my life, I've found myself at a loss for creativity.

I work amazing under pressure. When I'm around Calum I feel weightless. That won't cut it if I really want to make it in this industry.

"You can leave." The words hurt me as I say them, but I can't take them back.

"Margo, please..." He's practically begging me at this point, as if I'm his lifeline and I feel a knot form in my stomach at the sight.

Why does it feel like my heart is breaking when I'm the one holding the reins at the moment?

"I'm sorry Calum, I need time to think about everything. It won't work if I'm constantly worrying about where we stand. I hope you can understand." I apologize as if any of this is my fault.

"No Margo, I don't understand. The other night you were talking all of this shit about how we need to start taking chances, but now you're telling me you can't be with me because you need time?" His voice cracks and I suck in a shaky breath.

"Calum, you're acting like the relationship was even real. We were faking, right? Why does it even matter?" I argue back and he wipes his nose, laughing.

"It was fake." He nods, his voice softer this time.

"Yeah, that was the whole point. For us to be in a fake relationship so we could keep a stupid secret. Am I wrong? What did you think it was?" Although part of me wants him to say he wasn't faking, another part of me just wants him to leave.

"What kind of game is this?" He shakes his head, asking as if that's a genuine question.

"One where I'm losing."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

209K 11.2K 31
❝Michael isn't talking.❞ © Princess5S0S. All rights reserved.
20K 242 29
The title says it all.
117K 5.2K 25
you're just a project. not a lover. copyright 2014 completed.