A Dragon for Aurelija

By JerrySkell

My golden dragon was ready to fly me. You cannot imagine my excitement for the opportunity. Ailleacht (my dra... More

Chapter 1 Aurelija Petrova
Chapter 2 Egging
Chapter 3 Say Goodbye
Chapter 4 A Bubble of Happiness
Chapter 5 A Dragon for Relly
Chapter 6 Colonel Loughtey and the London Season
Chapter 7 The Sky Over London
Chapter 8 Into the Fray
Chapter 9 Breakfast in the Garden
Chapter 10 Almack's
Chapter 11 The King's Spy
Chapter 12 Abduction
Chapter 13 Anastasia and Isabella
Chapter 14 The Carriage Ride
Chapter 15 Barefoot Girl
Chapter 16 Everything
Chapter 17 The Literary Society
Chapter 19 The Trap
Chapter 20 The Room
Chapter 21 Betrayal
Chapter 22 The Hogshead
Chapter 23 The Lawyer
Chapter 24 Ailleacht Returns
Chapter 25 Window of Opportunity
Chapter 26 Captured
Chapter 27 A Plausible Story
Chapter 28 The Black Dragon
Chapter 29 Gretna Green Wedding
Epilogue

Chapter 18 The Ball

63 9 0
By JerrySkell

Relly's level of excitement over the ball was contagious and all the servants were smiling as she fluttered about the home humming and reminding everyone of the reason they had nicknamed her Little Bird as a child. She tried valiantly to sit for breakfast but found that nearly impossible. Even Ailleacht laughed at her when she rushed out to the garden in her kaftan and barefoot to describe the dress she had planned to wear.

"You look like you're enjoying yourself," Ailleacht said.

"AYE! I am so excited."

"I'll be off for a few days so you have fun little one. You can tell me everything when I get back."

"Is it you time to return home and sing your song of being?"

"Yes it is, so I too am very excited."

"Remember you promised to sing it to me when you get back. Nick and I will formally announce our engagement tonight, I'm excited about that too."

"I will sing it you and tell you the name I will be given but I expect you to always call me the one you gave me. We are connected by magic that cannot be broken. Perhaps I'll have something to tell you about the dragon in the story you told me about your island." The dragon breathed on Relly and said, "I give you the dragon breath to keep you safe. It too will give you magic, use it well." Relly hugged her dragon and waved goodbye to her and watched as she flew off.

Relly returned her preparations then she had a bath and sat to have her hair done. The style most of the young ladies were wearing this season were creative confections with their hair built up into elaborate structures. Many still liberally powdered their hair or wore wigs but natural hair colors was beginning to come into vogue. Many others would wear the hair in a chignon leaving their necks bare but Relly chose to wear her hair down and take advantage of its tendency to curl. Edith brushed it back and tied it with a ribbon that matched her dress and leaving her ears exposed. Then she curled her hair leaving long curls that reached to below her shoulder blades with Relly planning on flipping it over her left shoulder.

Her dress was a light shade of gold that was cut very low in the back and the bodice. It had puffy very short sleeves. Over that she wore a long sleeveless surcoat of a darker gold. The surcoat was edged in gold frilly lace and a wave like piping and it closed in the front by a single clasp at the high waist. The surcoat was cut so that it displayed the brighter under dress at the bodice and in an widening opening down the entire length of the dress. Her elbow length gloves were the same lighter shade of gold as the underdress. Her silk clocked stockings were held up by gold colored garters tied below her knees. And she had her new gold colored slippers. Nick put the pearl necklace on her as a finishing touch after she put on the earrings. Then he went to finish dressing.

Relly descended the stairs gracefully to the large foyer where Nick, Grandmother and Charles waited. The entire staff has turned out to see Relly in all her finery and were smiling as she descended the staircase. She moved with the grace of a queen and Nick could not keep himself from staring. She smiled brightly at everyone as she passed them.

Nick was wearing his dress uniform and Relly found him thoroughly dashing. She smiled at him as he put her red cape over her shoulders and fastened the clasp. "You look radiant tonight!" he whispered.

"You look beautiful Nick," she said and Nick laughed.

"Men aren't beautiful sweet thing. I love your hair like that," he touched her hair where it fell over her shoulder and chest admiring the warm colors of her hair, her skin and the smooth gentle motion of her breasts as she breathed. Her breathing quickened as he admired and touched her. "Your tanning makes you skin glow almost golden and the gold of your dress makes you so absolutely delicious. You look like the goddess Dianna bathed in golden sunlight." Relly smiled and blushed in response to his words.

"I may be available as desert," she was still standing on the last step of the staircase as whispered in his ear giving him her wickedest smile and nipped his ear. Nick shivered from his ear to his toes in response to her nip. She took the arm Nick offered her and holding her bright dragon fan walked out the door. There was little conversation on the coach ride to the ball and Grandmother had a sour look on her face. Charles looked bored. The coach ride to the assembly hall was short but the long line of coaches waiting to discharge their passengers was time consuming. There were two balls this evening and they would attend the one on the lower level with access to the gardens. They arrived at six expecting to gain entry by seven when the ball started. Large candelabras hung from the ceiling making the room appear bright and filling the room with the scent of bees wax. Not all balls allowed waltzing yet as it had only been introduced the previous year and was considered scandalous but Anastasia and Isabella had insisted so there would be four waltzes that night. Relly was looking forward to waltzes with Nick. They arrived and stood in a line awaiting an introduction then a brief greeting by the host and Anastasia and Isabella. Dancing was expected to start at nine with a dinner at one in the morning followed by more dancing. Relly had started her season late and missed the debutantes ball and presentation to the prince regent so except for Almack's this was her first hosted ball of the season.

Their turn for an introduction arrived and they were announced as Lord Charles Loughtey fifth Earl of Nusquam, the dowager Countess Lady Drusilla Loughtey, Colonel Nicholas Loughtey and his fiance Lady Aurelija Petrova. That last part of the announcement caught many by surprise as all eyes were on Relly. Grandmother looked like she had swallowed something distasteful. But Anastasia and Isabella smiled hugging Relly and kissed her cheek as the three of them chatted excitedly. Their announcement resulted in a barrage of congratulations from people attending the ball. Nick was talking to a fellow officer when Relly rushed up to him and stuffed something in his pocket and ran off with Anastasia and Isabella. Nick tried one of the small cakes they were serving and taking two lemonades went in search of Relly. The dancing was not scheduled for an hour yet but he heard fiddle music coming from the gardens. He had been told that the twins father has hired some fiddlers to entertain the attendees prior to the music that would provided by a small chamber orchestra for the ball. Apparently all the young women in attendance had migrated to the garden area so Nick with lemonades in hand headed in that direction.

The fiddler was playing a reel as he approached and spotted Relly dancing with a group of girls to the music. The reel was followed by a lively jig and Relly continued to dance laughing merrily and spinning with one of the twins. Her energy seemed endless as she danced every dance in joyful abandon. She spotted Nick and ran to him laughing and claimed her lemonade only to run off again for another jig. It was then Nick realizes that Relly had divested herself of shoes and socks. He reached into his pocket and discovered what she had earlier stuffed in his pocket. He had to look carefully but he confirmed that she was indeed barefoot as she danced. Nick wondered if she was going to be able to keep up her activity level as this ball would last until dawn. She was literally bouncing with joy as she again rushed to him for more lemonade. "I just love to dance!" she said breathlessly as she raced off again to join Isabella for another reel. The fiddlers finally stopped as people began to enter the ballroom. Relly took his arm as he escorted into the hall.

"Do you want your shoes?" he whispered.

"They hurt my feet," she replied, "I don't think anyone will notice."

Ballroom etiquette dictated that if you refused the first dance offer of a gentleman you sat out all the subsequent dances. Count DeVoissier took full advantage of this and managed to approach her first as the dancing started. Relly glared at him but accepted his arm as he led her onto the dance floor. She managed to paste on a grim smile as they danced a quadrille which under normal circumstances was considered a flirty dance but Relly felt more like swatting DeVoissier with her fan then flirting.

"It's obviously I hurt your feelings when last we met," DeVoissier said softly.

"You are rather astute sir-rah," Relly said between clenched teeth. DeVoissier smiled charmingly.

"Will you be so kind as to accept my sincerest apologies," he said looking shamefaced and uncharacteristically sad."

"Apology accepted," she said softly. DeVoissier nodded and renewed his smile and looking quite handsome Relly had to begrudgingly admit. The man could be utterly charming. Like a snake she reminded herself.

"Congratulations on you engagement."

"Thank you." Relly said offering her first real smile.

"I have a genuine concern for you as your husband is in the army, I'm sure the hostilities in Europe are of at delicate nature, he could be called up at any time," DeVoissier said.

"Not at all, the little general is on the run since the Russians joined in the fight. I expect a rapid conclusion."

"What do you know of the Russians," DeVoissier said.

"I was born in the Russian Empire," Relly answered. "Russians are not afraid of a fight and they destroy everything if they are forced to yield territory."

"So you're Russian?"

"Latvian, but I consider myself to be a Scot. I was raised there."

"Yes, I heard, buy Nick parents, so he's your brother and Charles too."

"No I was never adopted. I'm still a Petrova for the time being."

"Charles has told me about you. I believe he is quite taken by you," DeVoissier said. Now Relly was curious.

"What has he said? He has been very kind to me."

"That you have a very sizable dowry, that's all." DeVoissier was watching her shrewdly.

"I knew I had a dowry. I have no idea how much. He did settle a rather large endowment on me that became mine when I turned sixteen. Why this interest?"

"I have wronged you, I totally misjudged you. I like you, you are beautiful, intelligent and resourceful. In other words the kind of woman I would like to find for myself, but you alas are taken. Do not trust Charles, I don't like the man."

"Thought he was your partner?" Relly asked. She looked at the count totally confused.

"War makes for some strange bedfellows, I myself am a patriot, not all is as it seems. Ask Nick, I'm sure he knows," he said just as the music ended and he escorted Relly from the floor. The next dance was a Cotillion and the twins father was her partner. The couples assembled in a circle and danced first circling as a group then looping arms and turning as couples. Relly changed partners several times in the dance as couples exchanged. At one point she was coupled with Nick and she responded by sticking out her tongue and crossing her eyes at him. Nick laughed at her as she separated by skipping away to circle with the ladies in the inner circle. To anyone in the dance it was obvious that she was barefoot. Two more country dances followed then it was time for the first waltz.

Relly was smiling ecstatically as she and Nick began to dance. Nick she'd always thought was an excellent dancer. They had danced together as children under the watchful eye of the dance tutor but now dancing with him only increased her awareness of how strong and graceful he was. She felt very secure in his arms. She loved how hard his body felt pressed against hers and the heat he radiated when they were close. The room was stuffy from all the people crowded in, and she was aware of the volatile mix of melting bees wax, perfumes and scented powders. But she was also aware of the scent that was Nick. Between the heat, the scents, sound of the waltz and the physical contact from Nick she was in sensory overload. Part of her wanted the dance to go on forever but a part of her was grateful for the short recess that followed a waltz. Nick brought her a lemonade and she vigorously fanned herself with her dragon fan.

"Your face looks flushed," Nick said smiling.

"Oh no," Relly said looking startled.

"Its quite becoming," Nick said as he gently held her chin in his hand and lifted her face to look into her auburn eyes, "you look very attractive with your cheeks red and your eyes so dark. It makes me want to kiss you." Relly responded with her brightest smile.

"I wouldn't object if you did!" Nick just looked at her and smiled. He leaned in closed and whispered.

"We'll have all morning. I just might take you up on that." He held out his hand, "I'll take you to the snack table. You need more fuel." Relly took his arm and smiling followed him.

At midnight the music stopped as a large crew of waiters brought in tables, chairs, table clothes, candles and place settings and name placards. They found their seats and Nick seated Relly and then went around the table to sit opposite to her. He was only in his seat for a few seconds before Relly had her feet in his lap. She smiled sweetly and mouthed, "My feet hurt," so Nick began rubbing her feet hidden by the table and table cloths. Anastasia and Isabella were seated next to Relly and Nick and Drusilla and Charles close by. The first course was a chicken soup with rice and tiny fluffy dumplings. They ate at a leisurely pace. As servers cleared the table and brought the next course Nick had finished rubbing Relly's feet and she had withdrawn them. Several coursed followed each more elaborate.Then as they awaited the desert Nick again felt Relly's foot rubbing him softly ascending his leg. Relly gave the outward appearance of being in a conversation with the twins but he caught her giving him occasional furtive glanced and smiling with mischief. Nick slid his seat back when her foot reached his lap and began rubbing him there. Relly gave him a pout and slumped in her chair to increase her reach. Nick was surprised no one seemed aware of Relly's naughty antics. Even Grandmother seemed engage with her own conversation. Nick reached and grabbed Relly's foot and tickled it. She bolted up in her chair and covered her mouth with her napkin to hide her laugh and the look she gave him almost had Nick laughing.

After the dinner the tables were cleared with great efficiency then removed as the orchestra set up. The first dance was a waltz and Relly again pared with Nick. Grandmother noticed this was the third dance they had paired together for and was furious with this breech of etiquette. She whispered her displeasure to Relly who simply ignored her and followed Nick onto the dance floor. "Are you enjoying yourself half pint?" Nick asked. She smiled and nodded. "Getting tired?"

"Yes."

Grandmother and Charles want to leave early to avoid the rush," Nick whispered in her ear.

"After the next waltz," Relly whispered, "I love waltzing with you." It was around three in the morning when they left the ball and were home in thirty minutes. Edith was waiting for her and assisted her to undress and put on her nightshirt then Edith retired to her own bed. Relly waited for a while until the entire house was in bed then slipped noiselessly into Nick's room.

"I didn't expect you tonight," Nick said. He was sitting up in bed reading. Relly sat on the edge of the bed and put both of her feet in his lap. "Such dirty little feet!" Nicked teased.

"I've been dancing all night in them," Relly said then pouting added, "they hurt!"

"Do you want me to rub them again Sweetheart?"

"Aye, please, but no tickling." Nick began gently massaging her right foot and Relly sighed and smiled.

"No tickling?" Nick repeated and Relly nodded. When he finished with her right foot he lifted it and kissed it. Relly giggled and he began working on her left foot. "I enjoyed myself tonight," Nick said. "I got to dance four waltzes with a cute little elf."

"You did?" Relly said and she giggled, "did you get the elf's name?"

"Monkey Feet she told me." Relly giggled and smiled at him as he carefully massaged her foot.

"Are you going to kiss that foot too?"

"I was thinking I'd bite this one," he moved her foot quickly to his mouth and simply kissed it. Relly squealed at the feigned bite then laughed for the kiss. She was smiling with mischief as she got to her knees on the bed and moved closer.

"You said you liked my tanning before we left," she said coyly.

"I did it makes you glow, I do like it. I compared you to a goddess."

"Want to see more of it?" she asked then with one swift movement pulled her nightshirt off over her head and tossed it on the floor. Nick was transfixed by her sudden nudity and left speechless. "You like, husband?" Relly whispered. Nick reached out to caress her shoulders, her arms then her torso and more. He could not stop touching her. He cupped her breasts and her bottom.He pulled her to lay down next to him and kissed her lips. "I want you Nick!" she whispered and rolled on her back. "I'm ready," she said smiling. Nick groaned.

"On God Relly," he whispered in a raspy breathy voice, "I've wanted you for so long."

"Take me then. I'm ready," she said then giggled. Nick began kissing her lips then her neck. He sucked on her earlobe as she gasped and continued kissing and licking moving from behind her ears working down. "I'm ready!" she repeated.

"I'm not ready yet," he whispered as he began kissing her breast. He took her nipple into his mouth sucking then returned to kissing. Relly had never contemplated anyone touching her like Nick was doing and she loved it. She was on fire.

"Do you know what you doing? Have you done this before?" Relly asked. She was now breathless herself as her arousal increased and confused by her bodies response.

"I've never experienced anything even close to this!" Nick moaned.

"It's my first time too," Relly said as she let out a moan. Nick chuckled and continued kissing her moving down her body. Relly gasped.

"Are you supposed to kiss me THERE?" the sensations were becoming overwhelming for her and she felt a coiling sensation in her tummy.

"Do you like being kissed there?"

"OH AYE, please don't stop!"

They were interrupted by a knock on their door. Nick groaned and moved back up in the bed covering them with a blanked and kissing her lips. "What do you want?" he asked trying very hard to modulate his tone.

"We have to go, Colonel, sir." It was Sargent Todd.

"Now, this very minute?"

"We found where they are meeting, we need to go."

"I can't slip back to my room now," Relly whispered looking embarrassed and upset. Her face was red and her lips so full Nick wanted to kiss them. He hair was wild and disheveled and she looked so tiny and vulnerable naked in his bed.

"Just stay put for now. I'll leave and no one will know you're here," then speaking louder, "I'll be right out Sargent. He dressed quickly in an attire that would mark him as a laborer. He then dropped a quick kiss on Relly's lips and left.

Relly lay in the bed. She stretched languidly and smiled to herself. She relished in the feel of the sheets against her bare skin, the scent of Nick in the pillow, sheets and blankets. She was in no hurry to leave. She thought about the sensations Nick's touch had given her. She touched herself experimentally but soon stopped because it just was not the same. She had never thought anything could feel so good and her being with Nick made it feel so right. She smiled to herself savoring the memory. Her foster mother had told her not to play fair and tonight she threw caution to the wind. The next time they were together there would be nothing to stop them. She fully intended to slip back into her own bed, to spend the rest of the night alone, but simply fell asleep where she was.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.9K 5K 113
THE TAVERNER'S DAUGHTER - BOOK ONE FANTASY, MAGIC, DRAGONS, ROMANCE, WINGED WIZARDS. Please Note: The rest of this series will not be published u...
94.3K 1.5K 15
#1 hiccupxreader Warning: LEMON, also, following this story will put you in major FEELS! I didn't change Hiccup or Toothless's personally btw:) summ...
2.5M 167K 63
No one ever said what would happen when dragons and aliens meet. And no one told me that I would be in the middle of it. Tasha was studying hard to g...
130K 8.7K 43
Please note: this is a third-draft story but is not revised. More than a century ago, dragons and the blue-eyed Shaderi flew together. Then they wer...