A Dragon for Aurelija

By JerrySkell

My golden dragon was ready to fly me. You cannot imagine my excitement for the opportunity. Ailleacht (my dra... More

Chapter 1 Aurelija Petrova
Chapter 2 Egging
Chapter 3 Say Goodbye
Chapter 4 A Bubble of Happiness
Chapter 5 A Dragon for Relly
Chapter 6 Colonel Loughtey and the London Season
Chapter 7 The Sky Over London
Chapter 8 Into the Fray
Chapter 9 Breakfast in the Garden
Chapter 10 Almack's
Chapter 11 The King's Spy
Chapter 12 Abduction
Chapter 13 Anastasia and Isabella
Chapter 14 The Carriage Ride
Chapter 15 Barefoot Girl
Chapter 17 The Literary Society
Chapter 18 The Ball
Chapter 19 The Trap
Chapter 20 The Room
Chapter 21 Betrayal
Chapter 22 The Hogshead
Chapter 23 The Lawyer
Chapter 24 Ailleacht Returns
Chapter 25 Window of Opportunity
Chapter 26 Captured
Chapter 27 A Plausible Story
Chapter 28 The Black Dragon
Chapter 29 Gretna Green Wedding
Epilogue

Chapter 16 Everything

57 11 0
By JerrySkell

Relly walked into the kitchen early looking for breakfast, "Morning Marta." Marta nodded but did not smile as she worked. All of the staff appeared on edge. "Is everything Okay, Relly asked. "I haven't seen Molly the maid for a couple of days. Is she sick?"

"The Countess has locked her in the punishment room and she has been there a few days. We're just worried about her."

"Why is she being punished?"

"She screamed the day you came home a bloodied. The Countess will not abide such outbursts in the house. She's lucky she's not been sacked. We are allowed to bring her food and water but she is so young."

"Bring me to her." Relly said and Marta removed the keys from the keyboard and led her to the attic as she and James escorted her. The attic was full of old furniture covered with dust cloths, boxes of books and odds and ends, everything covered with a heavy layer of dust and numerous cobwebs. Well toward the back away from any windows were three doors. The doors looked very sold and had openings about six inches wide at the top and bottom. Relly could hear a woman crying. "What key is it?" she asked. Marta singled out the key for her. Relly unlocked the door and saw Molly curled up on the floor. The punishment room was so small that an adult could not lay stretched out. The chamber pot was full. Molly squinted as she looked at them and shielded her eyes from the light coming through the window and now flooding into her cramped dark room. Molly looked like she had been beaten. She had numerous bruises on her face and angry welts on her arms and legs. One of her eyed was blackened and she had dried blood below her lip. She recoiled from them. "James please take her to my room, get Edith and arrange for the hip bath in my room. She meeds a bath and a good meal."

"We just can't hide her in your room," James said.

"Yes we can for now," Relly said, "I'll send a message to Nick's cousin Cloe Davis and we can send her there until I can make more permanent arrangements." Molly wept when James took her arm to help her to her feet. "Let me see your arm, Molly," Relly whispered. She examined the arm carefully. "Your arm is broken its a green stick fracture I think and should heal I'll make you a splint." Relly touched Molly and her hand glowed for a second.

"It stopped hurting," Molly said, "she beat me. Please I can't loose my job my family will starve."

"Lets get you safe first," Relly said, "I will do all I can to get you a job."

"She was furious with me," Molly whispered, "I've been in the punishment room before but she never beat me before." Molly was bathed and fed and brought her clothes. James sent a runner with a note to Cloe and he returned with an answer. Relly ran the clandestine operation and had Molly bundled off to Cloe's before Grandmother was up. Even Edna assisted in aiding Molly and secreting her off. Relly finally sat for a piece of toast and hot coco and wondered how she would break the news of her latest action to Grandmother. Luckily Nick and Charles were out so it was just the staff and Relly to run the operation. Marta approached her and gave her a hug.

"Molly is my niece. I've been so worried about her. Charles has been after her and I was worried about that too," Marta whispered. "What are you planning to tell the Countess?"

"That I found some keys and went exploring and turned her loose," Relly said, "simple and true. What did you mean by Charles was after her?"

"Trying to bed her," Marta said, "he always chasing after the younger staff. Got a few pregnant and they found themselves turned out with no prospects for finding work. I've never seen the Countess beat anyone though."

"I thought Charles was a gentleman," Relly said surprised.

"Some gentlemen are nothing but snakes in fine clothes," Marta said, "you watch yourself with him I've see how he looks at you."

"But I plan to marry Nick."

"Don't matter much to the likes of gentlemen like Charles."

"I'll talk to Nick and get him to back up my story. Tell everyone else to act like nothing happened."

"In this house, Little Bird, we are experts at that."

Nick arrived back in time for lunch and they ate in the garden where they could expect privacy. Relly told him about Molly and her intervention. "I think it would be better we told everyone that you and I went exploring and found Molly and I turned her out," Nick said.

"You have a point there."

"Yes, it would deflect the blame from you. I want you to stay in Grandmothers good graces. She finally appears to be warming up to you."

"What do you know about Charles and the rumors about his...interactions with female staff." Relly was anxious about this subject. She was beginning to trust Charles and now she was unsure.

"Rumors are that he enjoys the chase then abandons the poor woman once he has his way, why?"

"Would you treat a woman like that? Use her and leave her with child? Let her be thrown from her home."

"No I would not. And I will never abandon you. And if I were to sire a child I would provide for that child."

"Are all gentlemen like Charles?"

"Many are Sweetheart, but not all. My father was not and my friends are not. Some women can be just as bad but that I think is unusual."

"Have you had your heart broken," Relly asked curiously. "Have you sired any children?"

"No, I've had my pride hurt but never my heart. I have no children as of yet. I am hoping for a strong strapping son and a beautiful little daughter with honey blond hair."

"You could get the opposite!" Relly teased and then chuckled, "Okay, now tell me everything."

"I was in a brief calvary skirmish and had my horse shot out from under me by artillery I think. I ended up in the hospital with no memory of the event. I underwent two surgeries and was left crippled and in intolerable pain. Between laudanum and alcohol I managed the pain and forced myself to walk. I was drunk or sedated for the longest time. No one believed I would ever walk again. But I was determined. Then I decided I would stop taking the laudanum and curb my drinking. It was difficult and I was an absolute beast to everyone. When it was obvious that I was unfit for the calvary I was offered a position as an intelligence officer and my rank was advanced. I was sent home to recover further."

"So you are a spy."

"A spy catcher to be precise and the count is my quarry."

"So you didn't come to London to find me?" Relly was unsure how she was feeling.

"I did. Everything just fell into place. I have always loved you and hoped we could be together. But it has been a bitter sweet hope until you told me you loved me. Charles and Grandmother brought you out at the perfect time I was here and you were coming."

"I've always said I loved you." Relly said feeling suddenly cheerful.

"So have I, but it means so much more now. Having you in my life and my bed is going to happen Relly. Nothing can stop us."

"I've been in your bed since I was three," Relly teased. Nick laughed at her and took both of her hands in his. Then he reached up and ran his fingers through her hair.

"Once we marry and this damnable war settles down I plan to sell my commission and spend all my time with you. I will have to find employment, there will be difficulties."

"And I'll keep you busy," Relly teased. "Think of all the schemes I can come up with. How's you head feeling."

"No pain and it's healing remarkable fast. I think the wrapping will be off by the time of the ball but there will be a scar."

"That will give you a roguish look," Relly said smiling, "we could fly to Gretna Green and have a Scottish wedding."

"Fly!" Nick laughed, "Might just do that," Nick said smiling, "after the ball. Now you wanted to tell me something."

"It's about my dragon...let me introduce you."

The dragon flew over London with two passengers. "So all our stories were true!" Nick said as the soared higher.

"I did take considerable license but yes they were true," Relly said, "were would like to go, the entire world lays before us."

"Take me home Relly. I've always been happy there and memories of it and you there sustained me through my darkest hours." They landed near the manor and the three of them walked together. "It amazes me that you managed so well by yourself."

"I had my staff, Cookie, Mary our maid and Ian. It was difficult with so little funds coming from London but we survived."

"This has always been my home, our home," Nick said sadly as he put his arm around her waist.

"Our home will be anywhere we are together," Relly said, "Charles said we could live here and I do have enough to bring it up to full staff. The village depended on salaries from the manor and it has been hard on everyone not just me."

"I'll get a lease from Charles that way we'll have a legal residence that way he can't yank us from here out for spite or at whim. I do have enough from my stipend from the estate to manage rent and then some."

"Charles has been nice," Relly said, "his past behavior has shown he could toss us out on a whim."

"I'd like to hope he is being honest in his level of support but I'm still uneasy about him."

"You were concerned that Grandmother or Charles could block the funds."

"I spoke to the family lawyer and they are irrevocable. I want our family to be pleased with our marriage, but I will marry you irregardless." Relly looked into his face smiling brightly.

"Let's go inside and tell everyone!" they walked into the manor house and surprised the staff. Cookie and Mary were ecstatic to learn of their plans to marry and they declared their marriage as they held hands. Cookie served a dinner of haggis and mashed potatoes and turnips and brown bread.

"I have not eaten this good in years," Nick said.

"Will you be spending the night?" Mary asked. Relly looked at Nick smiling and gave a slight nod.

"Yes, but we will be off very early," Nick replied. That night Relly slipped into Nick's bed as she had done since she joined his family. "I expected you to come," Nick said.

"Aye, It's a tradition dinnae ya know," Relly said smiling. Nick chuckled at her statement.

"I see you wearing your shift."

"My nightshirt is in London. I could dispense the shift."

"I really love you nightshirt."

"Thats because you can see through it," Relly teased as she toyed with his hair. Nick laughed at her and hugged her as the lay cheek to cheek embracing. "You need to shave."

"Shinning knight rules tonight but not much longer. You look different tonight," Nick said looking her over, "you face seems darker."

"I've been tanning. I'll show you more later."

"Thank you for taking me on a dragon flight."

"You gifted me the dragon, Doofus."

"No, to quote a girl named Aurelija Smarty Pants I gifted you a rock."

"I dinnae recall a girl named Aurelija Smarty Pants," Relly said primly, "I dae know a young woman names Aurelija and she is radiantly beautiful and rides a dragon and men find her irresistible."

"Irresistible?"

"Aye, they cater to her every whim and cannae get her out of their mind."

"I can't get her out of my mind," Nick responded. "What did Ailleacht mean by we are all connected by magic?"

"He was talking about the curse, I'm the girl in the curse obviously."

"That's just an old story that I used to tell you," Nick said.

"And the egg was just a rock!" Relly replied and yawned. "I hope you realize that we are married now by Scottish law and tradition,"

"Yes, the hand-fast," Nick said, "we were holding hands as we declared our intentions before two witnesses."

"So you agree we are married," Relly said, her eyes were filled with mischief.

"I still would prefer a church wedding, here in our village."

"Well then we could consummate it!" Relly said. "Tonight."

"Church wedding, then we consummate," Nick laughed, "you have a gift for coming up with grandiose words for sexual intimacy. Sleep now. I love you Sweetheart and want to do right by you." Relly was disappointed but Nick had forgotten the pillow and she was more then satisfied with spooning for now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

118K 7.9K 34
"What does it mean?" Theodora asked. "It means you're a witch," Mathilda said softly gently putting a hand on her shoulder, "like me." Theodora just...
2.2M 89.3K 65
-COMPLETED AS OF JUNE 1, 2017- Highest Ranking: #1 - November 27, 2018 ~READER REVIEWS~ "WOW" - StephanieSmith193 "I love you!! And I think you are v...
1.3K 16 50
Tika They delivered me to him on a silver platter. Four years ago I was an ordinary girl with a privileged life. After killing the only family I have...
55.9K 5K 113
THE TAVERNER'S DAUGHTER - BOOK ONE FANTASY, MAGIC, DRAGONS, ROMANCE, WINGED WIZARDS. Please Note: The rest of this series will not be published u...