Losing Game/// James Potter

By gryffinpufffffff

"You should tell him, you know," a familiar voice softly said from behind her. "I know you love him." "Remus... More

~Extended Summary/Face Claim~
Playlist
~Prologue~
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
UPDATE
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
END NOTES:
Character Q&A

Chapter 25

56.3K 1.9K 9.2K
By gryffinpufffffff

Weeks had passed and James still refused to think about the question that Remus had asked him. He was truly torn about the idea of actually having feelings for his best friend, that he decided to just push the thought out of his head completely. It was bad enough that Lily still didn't want to be with him, he didn't need to deal with the stress of liking someone else on top of that. He couldn't deal with the stress of not being good enough for someone else. Because, that's all he knew about love... that somehow he was never good enough for the person he had feelings for. So, he pushed the thoughts out of his head until about a week before Christmas break in the middle of a Potions class.

Elsie was sitting next to Sirius, while Remus and James were at a desk behind them. Peter was willingly sitting next to Mary Macdonald with wide eyes and pink cheeks.

"Alright class, settle down! Today we will be working with the love potion called Amortentia," Professor Slughorn exclaimed as he walked towards the front of the room. He was met by a string of groans as he passed out a mini cauldron with the potion to each desk, "Settle down, we will just be smelling it and jotting down its effects, nothing too hard!"

Sirius smirked at Elsie while nudging her in the side, "Don't be embarrassed, we all know your going to smell me."

Elsie rolled her eyes playfully while pretending to smell the cauldron in front of them, "Nope, sorry. I don't smell any trace of wet dog in here."

Remus and James were snickering at the comment that the girl made, as Sirius crossed his arms over his chest and pouted.

"Okay, everyone! Go ahead and smell the potion, make sure to jot down what you notice!" Slughorn announced after he finished placing a mini cauldron on every desk.

Elsie sent a smirk towards Sirius as she gestured to the cauldron and teased, "Ladies first."

Sirius grumbled under his breath and took a whiff of the potion, "Smoke, broomstick polish, and-,"

He stopped and inhaled deeply, as if trying to draw out the last scent. But when he did, his nose crinkled and he pulled back, "Godric, it smells like fresh laundry. Why's it so bloody strong?"

"Well the broomstick polish is definitely about Marlene, unless you're suddenly declaring your love for Jamesie over there," she giggled and winked at him, until her eyebrows drew closer in confusion, "But fresh laundry? Really?"

"Wanker," Sirius chuckled and nudged her with his shoulder, "Your turn."

"Mhmmm, whatever you sayyyy," Elsie sarcastically sang while bringing her face forwards to smell the potion. She took a deep breath and took in the beautiful scents mixing together in her nose. Elsie's eyes were closed as she let the enchanting smells linger.

"New books, Euphemia's freshly baked cookies, and...," Elsie stopped talking instantly. The next thing she smelt was so obviously the scent of her best friend's cologne that if she said it out loud Sirius would know immediately. It was a musky pine smell, the very smell of James Potter himself. She couldn't say it, she couldn't tell Sirius.

"And what, Els?" Sirius questioned, catching the attention of James and Remus from behind her.

"Nothing else, I can't place my finger on the last smell," Elsie lied through her teeth, but Sirius didn't buy it.

"I don't believe that for-," he was suddenly cut off by James shouting behind him, "Oi, Snivellus. What does your slimy nose smell?"

Elsie mentally took a sigh of relief due to the fact that James' voice distracted Sirius, but became anxious again when she saw Snape's face. She knew that he smelt Lily, but couldn't say it out loud. She knew because the same exact thing happened to her, and she wouldn't let Snape take the heat for that. So, she drew the attention back to James.

"Well, James," She started with a chuckle and a pointed finger, "Instead of asking everyone else why don't you tell us what you smell?"

James playfully rolled his eyes and began sniffing the potion, as Elsie locked eyes with Snape from across the classroom. He shot her a grateful look with an appreciative nod. Elsie simply smiled at him and looked back to James.

"The Quidditch field in the morning, lilies, and vanilla," James confidently spoke while puffing his chest, "I knew I'd smell lilies because that's what my Lily-flower smells like."

He turned and winked at Lily, who was sitting behind him, when Remus spoke, "And what about the vanilla?"

"Well, I'm not sure I know anyone or anything that smells like-," James stopped mid sentence while his eyes grew wide and his cheeks blushed red. He glanced at Remus who had a knowing smirk on his face as he suddenly realized exactly who that smell reminded him of.

James was about to open his mouth and respond when they heard Lily gasp from the desk behind them. Excited that the attention was off of him, James immediately turned around and questioned the girl, "Alright, Evans?"

"I...erm...just smelt the potion," Lily nervously said with red cheeks.

"And, what did you smell?" James questioned hopefully.

"Erm... Parchment paper, lilies, and Quidditch broomstick polish," She quietly said while immediately looking down at the desk, not wanting to make eye contact with anyone looking at her.

James sat there with his jaw dropped open. Lily smelt me. That has to be why she smelt broomstick polish. Lily Evans smelt me...

At hearing what Lily had said, Elsie's heart shattered and sunk in her chest. Lily had smelt James, which confirms the fact that she is starting to form an attraction for him. James loves Lily, Lily loves James, and Elsie is left with nothing but the feeling of unrequited love. She turned around in her seat and rested her head on the desk, not minding to pay attention to her friends or Professor Slughorn's lecture.

"Miss Figg, are you feeling okay? You look quite pale," Professor Slughorn exclaimed at the sight of the girl while cutting off his lecture.

Elsie looked up and quietly responded to him, "No, do you think I could maybe leave class a little bit early?"

"Yes, yes. Go ahead, my dear. You don't look like you're in the spirits to learn," he responded while gesturing to the door.

Elsie ignored the looks from her friends and walked out of the door, not wanting to have to watch James and Lily fall anymore in love than they already are. She always knew James loved Lily, but now after the patronus lesson and the amortentia, she knew for a fact Lily was starting to reciprocate those feelings. She was completely oblivious to the fact that James had smelt her, and was solely concentrated on how James and Lily had smelt each other. James loves Lily, and Lily loves James...

She became completely consumed in her thoughts that she unknowingly walked right into someone.

"Oh, I'm so sorry I wasn't looking where I was going. It's just been a really long day and I left class early and-," Elsie began speaking without looking up at who she walked into.

She was cut off by a concerned voice, "Miss Figg, would you care to have a chat in my office. I have some spare time and it looks like you could need someone to talk to."

Elsie looked up and saw that the person was Professor McGonagall. She agreed to her offer and followed her teacher up to her office. McGonagall sat down at her desk while Elsie sat down in the seat in front of it.

"So, what has Mr. Potter done this time?" The teacher asked with a slight smirk playing on her lips.

"What do you-," Elsie began questioning before the lady in front of her spoke again.

"Professor Dumbledore and I have a bet going. He thinks it'll be James and Lily, but my vote has always been on you and James," She casually explained while sipping the tea on her desk.

Elsie's eyes grew wide and a blush found her cheeks, "What?"

McGonagall let out a small laugh and began explaining herself again, "It's quite obvious that you like the boy. And I see the way he looks back at you, Miss Figg."

Elsie shook her head and shot her Professor a sad look, "No, he just sees me as a friend."

"Friends don't look at each other the way you two do," the wise Professor spoke while sending her back a convincing stare, "Or kiss each other from time to time...,"

"How did you-," Elsie embarrassedly started asking while being cut off again.

"I know everything, Miss Figg," McGonagall winked at her student that she saw more as a daughter.

"Well, Minnie I hate to break it to you but this is a bet you're going to lose. It'll never be James and I because all he wants is Lily. He loves her, not me. I'm not good enough for him, I'm not Lily Evans," Elsie softly spoke as her eyes glistened with pain, looking down at her hands in shame.

McGonagall stood up from her seat abruptly and swiftly made her way over to stand in front of Elsie. She grabbed her student's hand and spoke her name, "Elsie."

Elsie looked up in shock at the fact McGonagall actually called her by her first name and continued listening to what her teacher was about to say.

"You may not be Lily Evans, but why would you want to be when you're Elsie Figg? You are one of the smartest, sweetest, and most capable young ladies I have ever known. You always make sure your friends are okay, and even check in on people who aren't your friends. I don't think I know anyone else who would talk to Mr. Snape the way you do, with kindness and hope...," McGonagall said to her in a strong voice, "Nobody wants you to be Lily Evans because she isn't you. This world is better off with someone like you in it, and I'd be lying if I didn't say that Mr. Potter is a bloody idiot if he doesn't see that."

Elsie was so shocked at the loving words that just came out of McGonagall's mouth. Not caring about the fact that the lady in front of her was her teacher, Elsie threw her arms around the woman and whispered, "Thank you, Minnie. I love you."

McGonagall's lips tugged upwards, not minding the completely unprofessional moment, and hugged the girl back, "And I love you, Elsie."

The two girls separated as McGonagall placed an arm on Elsie's shoulder, "Now, go live your life and don't worry about Mr. Potter's feelings. He can be a quite oblivious boy if you ask me. Just try to enjoy the little moments, you never know what's around the corner with the darkness that's being brought to light."

Elsie smiled warmly at her Professor and thanked her once again, before walking out of the room much more confident than she's ever been. She went all the way back to Gryffindor Tower to find her friends and listen to McGonagall's advice; Enjoy the little moments.

When she walked into the common room, James jumped up from his spot on the couch and ran over to her.

"Elsie, where have you been? Are you okay? Why didn't you feel well in potions?" He bombarded her with questions as he wrapped an arm around her waist and brought her over to the couches.

Elsie let out a small laugh and sat down next to James and Sirius, "I'm fine. Just felt a little lightheaded and needed some air that's all. I ended up talking with McGonagall for a little bit."

"Oh, okay. But you're feeling better now?" James asked with concerned eyes.

"Yes, Jamesie," she giggled and leaned her head against his shoulder.

"Well, Prongs. Tell her the great news," Sirius piped up from his spot while reaching over and patting James' back.

James' eyes grew in excitement as he turned his body to face his best friend, "While you weren't here, Lily came and asked me to be her date to the Slug Club Christmas party tonight!"

Elsie wanted to shrivel up into a ball and cry, but because everyone was staring at her she kept herself together. She plastered a fake smile on her face and grabbed James' hand, "That's amazing, James. I'm so happy for you."

Remus saw the hurting girls expression and immediately spoke up, "Oh please, Prongs. She told you she needed someone to keep Snape away from her since he's part of the Slug Club, and you're obviously the best option since you two hate each other."

Peter, who was sipping on a cup of tea that he made, put his his cup down and pointed out, "He's got a point, Prongs."

James crossed his arms over his chest and grumbled under his breath, "Bloody Snivellus always ruining the moment."

After sulking, James stood up from the couch and started walking out of the Gryffindor Tower, "Els, come help me get ready?"

Elsie nodded her head yes and followed her best friend all the way back to his dorm. James opened his closet and pulled out a pair of black slacks, a white button down, and a matching pair of dress robes and a tie.

"Do you think this matches?" James asked while piling the clothes on his bed and scratching the back of his neck.

"Yes, James," Elsie laughed at how perfect he was trying to look for Lily while rolling her eyes, "Its all black and white, of course it does you twat."

James chuckled and raised an eyebrow at Elsie, "Do you mind if I just change in here?"

"Go for it," Elsie admitted with pink cheeks while jumping onto his bed and laying down, as James started to undress himself.

He slowly unbuttoned his shirt, before tossing it onto the floor and revealing his perfectly toned chest and stomach. Elsie's eyes were locked on the boy's body, not capable of being torn off of it. Next, James slid off his shoes and unbuckled his belt before shimmying off his pants. Elsie had to physically hold up her jaw to stop it from dropping.

"Lookin good, Jamsie," Elsie winked playfully at James who rolled his eyes at the teasing girl. He put on his black slacks and his white button-up, before making a knot around his neck with his tie. He carefully slid on a pair of black dress shoes and put on his dress robes, while walking over to the mirror to look at himself.

"Do you think she'll like it?" He nervously asked his best friend, who hopped off of the bed and walked over to him. He turned to face her and she absentmindedly brought her hand up to his crooked tie to straighten it out, "There, now you look perfect."

James began pacing his room while anxiously rambling, "This was such a mistake, why did I say yes? What if she asks me to dance? I don't even know how to bloody slow dance..."

Elsie laughed at James before grabbing his hand and pulling him into her, "Come here, I'll teach you."

"Put your hands on my waist," she softly spoke while gazing at the boy in front of her.

James' hands abruptly moved down her body, a little farther than necessary. Elsie's cheeks heated up as she exclaimed, "Bloody hell, James. I said my waist not my arse."

He mumbled out an apology while moving his hands up slightly, as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

"But, what about the music?" James questioned as Elsie started swaying with the boy.

"We can just make our own," Elsie responded while beginning to hum a beautiful melody that James didn't know.

They softly swayed to Elsie's humming voice as James looked down at the girl, whose head was resting on his chest. It was barely a song; there were no words, no melodies, no catchy beats. It was just Elsie's voice, soft and low and warm in his chest. It was barely a song, yet James wanted to memorize every single dip, crack, and tone in her voice. He wanted to engrave it on his heart, mind, body, soul until it consumed him wholly. It was barely a song, but it was one that made James' heart thump wildly in his chest. As if it were jumping, pushing, yearning to reach out and grab Elsie's.

He gave into the overwhelming feeling and pulled her in closer to him, his chest against hers, his heart against hers. And they swayed together, until she looked up at him and James swore his heart was no longer beating. The song has stopped humming out of her lips, yet it was still all-consuming for James. It was radiating off of her skin, bouncing off her hair, swimming in her eyes. He needed more of it, so he pressed his forehead down against hers and let the thrum of her skin against his sing to him peacefully.

Their moment was interrupted by a knock on the door. James refused to let go of Elsie, not caring if he stayed in that position for the rest of the night. But, when another knock rang out Elsie broke away from the boy.

"Must be Lily, I'll get the door," She sadly smiled at James while walking over and opening the door.

Lily stood in the door frame in a gorgeous green dress that fit her perfectly, but for some reason, James couldn't find himself looking at her. His eyes were still trained on Elsie.

"You look so amazing, Lils," Elsie squealed out while pulling her into a quick hug, snapping James out of his trance. He suddenly took in the sight of Lily in her dress.

He was at a lost for words and stuttered out, "You look bloody beautiful, Lily."

Lily's cheeks turned red while slipping out a thank you and turning to Elsie, "Els, before James and I leave do you think we could talk really quick?"

"Of course, Lily," Elsie smiled and followed her out of James' room.

——————————————————————————
AUTHORS NOTE:

SORRY FOR THE LATE UPDATE YOU GUYS!!! I had such a busy day today I'm lucky I even got a chance to finish this chapter. Anywayssss, what do you guys think Lily needs to talk with Elsie about hehe...

Thank you guys so much for all the support!! Today this story was #3 on the Harry Potter tag which is amazing. Love you all<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9M 119K 104
{๐—•๐—ผ๐—ผ๐—ธ ๐Ÿฎ} It all started with a kiss. Or better say, everything ended with a kiss. What Jenna Potter thought was going to lead her to a beautif...
12.2K 530 26
After taking a months trip to a holiday home near London to celebrate their graduation Sirius Black and James Potter find themselves unaware that the...
931 44 56
It all started to make sense to Sirius, bit by bit. He wanted desperately to be himself, to belong somewhere and be excepted as himself, "But how do...
11.1K 424 21
Judson Ogden had a secret: he was completely head over heels for Remus Lupin. He couldn't help it-it was a lost cause. But Remus had a secret of his...