Huntington Avenue | ✓ [PV REW...

By Eclipsityy

*~*~* PARTS I & II NOW PUBLISHED ON AMAZON *~*~* Follow the journey of a blind boy and a popular girl crossin... More

✺ Preface ✺
༻PART I༺
Prologue
Part I: Chapter 1
Part I: Chapter 2
Part I: Chapter 4
Part I: Chapter 5
Part I: Chapter 6
Part I: Chapter 7
Part I: Chapter 8
Part I: Chapter 9
Part I: Chapter 10
Part I: Chapter 11
Part I: Chapter 12
Part I: Chapter 13
Part I: Chapter 14
Part I: Chapter 15
Part I: Chapter 16
Part I: Chapter 17
Part I: Chapter 18
Part I: Chapter 19
Part I: Chapter 20
Part I: Chapter 21
Part I: Chapter 22
Part I: Chapter 23
Part I: Chapter 24
Part I: Chapter 25
༻PART II༺
Part II: Chapter 1
Part II: Chapter 2
Part II: Chapter 3
Part II: Chapter 4
Part II: Chapter 5
Part II: Chapter 6
Part II: Chapter 7
Part II: Chapter 8
Part II: Chapter 9
Part II: Chapter 10
Part II: Chapter 11
Part II: Chapter 12
Part II: Chapter 13
Part II: Chapter 14
Part II: Chapter 15
Part II: Chapter 16
Part II: Chapter 17
Part II: Chapter 18
Part II: Chapter 19
Part II: Chapter 20
Part II: Chapter 21
Part II: Chapter 22
Part II: Chapter 23
Part II: Chapter 24
Part II: Chapter 25
Epilogue
✺ Author's Note ✺

Part I: Chapter 3

372 23 2
By Eclipsityy

༻✺༺

Chapter 3 | ❝ Watch and learn, Kelsey. ❞

Wednesday, September 5th, 2018 - 7:30 a.m.

A LOUD, OBNOXIOUS buzzing noise jostled Zach out of his dreamless slumber. It hardly took the exhausted boy five seconds to determine it was the alarm on his phone. Zach lazily reached over and grabbed the device, tapping the screen in numerous random places before his alarm shut off. Even though Zach used his phone for an alarm every day, it was difficult to find where the off button on it was.

Zach let out a yawn and set his phone back down on the nightstand next to his bed. He buried his face into his pillow, hoping it was magically a Saturday rather than a Wednesday so he was able to sleep as long as he wanted. Unfortunately, that was not going to be the case, so he forced himself to sit up and prepare for the long day ahead of him.

The teenager's feet dangled slightly over the bed before he slid off and got into a standing position. It took Zach a while to memorise where everything was in his fairly new room, but eventually he figured it out. He made his way over to his dresser, picking out an outfit for the upcoming day.

Zach's wardrobe mainly contained neutral colors—black, gray, white, and even blue sometimes. He figured all of those colors would go together in any combination so he would not accidentally wear something completely mismatched. Either way, faded blue was Zach's favorite color.

Eventually he settled with a pair of dark-washed jeans and a t-shirt of his favorite color. While still wearing his pajamas, which consisted of a similar t-shirt and fluffy pajama pants, he carefully made his way to the bathroom. Zach carefully kept his hand running against the wall to determine if he found the correct room.

He felt the warm water from the shower cascade onto his black hair, transforming it into an impossible shade darker. Showers were always therapeutic to Zach. They gave him comfort when no one else was able to. As sad as it was to admit it, Zach felt quite lonely. He was unable to even see his hand in front of him, let alone his own thoughts.

About ten minutes later, Zach found himself carefully treading down the stairs. His hand gripped a bit tightly around the handrail until he reached the bottom step. The voices of his sister and mother were very prevalent in the kitchen. He imagined that his mom was making breakfast for both he and Hayleigh to enjoy before school.

Zach loved his parents to death. With his father working full time as a manager of a local restaurant and his mother complying to a part time job from home, he was only able to see his mother most of the time. The West family was searching for a new place to call home and start anew. What better place would there be than the small beach town of Oceanview?

As soon as Zach stepped foot into the kitchen, he heard his little sister's voice excitedly ring out. "Zach! Finally you're awake!"

"It's only about seven forty-five," Zach protested in the middle of a yawn. "Besides, I thought children enjoyed sleeping—not waking up at the crack of dawn."

Hayleigh beamed back at him and Zach swore he was able to feel the light radiating from his younger sister's bubbly and cheerful personality. If happiness and positivity was a drug, then Hayleigh was addicted. She was a literal ball of sunshine and Zach kept telling himself that nobody should have the power to take it away from her.

If anyone tried, they would be sorry.

"I've been up since six thirty!" Hayleigh announced before plopping herself down onto a kitchen chair.

Zach simply shook his head, replying before he yawned again, "That's nice, Hayleigh. I'm just a person who loves to sleep. I get as much of it as I can."

"Boring!"

"Hayleigh, I told you that teenagers like your brother love to sleep," Mrs. West chimed in from whatever she was making in the kitchen. "And as a growing girl, you need sleep too."

The curly-haired girl sighed in defeat. "Okay, Mom," she huffed with a pout.

Mrs. West decided to change the topic of conversation. "How'd you sleep, Zach?" she inquired before going back to making breakfast.

Zach sat himself down at the kitchen table across from Hayleigh. He could have easily admitted to himself he was still tired, but since Hayleigh was such an early bird, he chose not to mention it. Zach knew his sister would throw a fit and begin laughing hysterically.

"I slept fine. Thanks, Mom," he responded with a shrug. "What's for breakfast? It smells really good," he commented.

Mrs. West then put their breakfasts onto plates, bringing them over to the table. "I made your favorites," she exclaimed happily, naming each delicacy as she put it down on the table. "Chocolate chip waffles for Hayleigh and blueberry waffles for you."

"Thanks, Mom!" Hayleigh and Zach chorused before digging into their home cooked meal.

Their mother sat down at the table with her two children and her own plate of waffles. Mr. West was already out of the house for work and would not return until the evening. It had always been that particular way, even though all three of them missed him. He provided for the family and would not have it any other way.

Breakfast, an episode of cartoons of which Hayleigh loved, and a rush to get out the front door later, Zach found himself once again in front of Oceanview High. He had just bid farewell to his mother and sister, who were driving off in a silver vehicle.

It took no time at all for Zach's anxiety to kick in. It was only Zach's third day of being in a public school. Most people ignored him, but he knew for a fact he received stares at every corner. It was human nature for people to become curious when someone stuck out like a sore thumb. It was a bit rude in Zach's mind, however there was nothing he could do to alter someone's mindset.

Zach chose to live with it.

The day started out as normal once again. Zach tediously made his way through the halls of his new high school and did his best to blend in as needed. The one thing Zach wanted was a friend—for someone to keep him company, but as far as his public school career was going, he figured that was not going to happen.

Zach's morning classes came and went. He believed the first three blocks of his day were the most difficult. His classes for the morning consisted of AP Biology, Trigonometry, and AP Government. Zach was honestly surprised that he qualified for two AP classes with his condition. He surely was not complaining either, though.

Completing homework for Zach was a bit complicated. Since he was unable to read his notes on the computer, his mother or sister were happy to help him. Hayleigh often got bored after she finished her homework, so she chose to help Zach with his. Unlike many expectations, Zach was never embarrassed to admit his eight-year-old sister helped him with homework. He simply needed a bit of extra guidance and that was okay.

Luckily for Zach, he had not accidentally caused any unwanted collisions with Jaylen. He did not know much about the taller, rather frustrating boy, but he did know one thing: the last thing Zach wanted was to come into contact with him. Jaylen, in his opinion, was bad news.

The tired teenager made his way towards his usual table in the cafeteria. Minding the fact he was alone became less of a deal to him. Zach used the time for himself to think, and it was wonderful for having such an active imagination. He took his lunch of which his mom packed for him out of his bag, beginning to enjoy it as he kept to himself.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the cafeteria, Kelsey and her friends were in the middle of a riveting conversation. It was apparent that their table, which consisted of nine people—the same who attended the cafe randevu the previous day. Several pizzas and other food items from Dominos littered the table. All of them appeared to be relishing their food.

"So, if the party is this Saturday, then how are we going to get word out to everyone?" Phoebe asked Kelsey, who was in the midst of consuming a breadstick.

The blonde quickly swallowed the piece of breadstick which was in her mouth to reply. "I'm not sure," she confessed in nonchalance. "I was thinking of making flyers, but that would take a lot of time and paper."

"What about an announcement of some sort?" Autumn suggested before taking a hearty bite out of her pepperoni pizza. "Maybe we could talk to the principal and have it announced over the intercom?"

Kelsey shrugged a little. "Then the school would probably get involved and try to run it. It's happened before."

"Does anyone have any better ideas?" Jaylen piped up from next to Kelsey. He appeared to be a bit agitated due to everyone else's suggestions.

Lyla abruptly stood from her seat between Phoebe and Everett. She had a look of determination upon her face along with a smirk adorning her mouth. The strawberry blonde knew exactly what she was doing, but none of her friends did as she promptly began climbing onto the table.

"Uh, Lyla?" Kelsey inquired with skepticism. "What on earth are you doing?"

Lyla's bright eyes looked back at her with a twinkle shimmering through them. "Watch and learn, Kelsey," she replied cheekily.

She stood up straight in the middle of the lunch table. Even though Lyla was only five foot one inch in height, she seemed rather huge when on the table in the middle of the cafeteria. It only took a matter of time before she stuck two fingers in her mouth, whistled sharply to get everyone's attention, and began speaking.

"Alright, everyone. Listen up!" Lyla announced rather loudly, stomping her foot on the wooden surface of the table and making it wobble slightly. "I have something important to say!"

The cafeteria fell silent at once. Everyone who was in the midst of a conversation immediately brought it to a halt. All eyes turned to look at the large table in the middle of the cafeteria with Lyla standing atop it. Lyla was well known at Oceanview High, and she knew it. Everyone would listen to her no matter what.

"Now that everyone's quiet, I hope you all have clear calendars for this weekend because we're hosting an end-of-summer party on Saturday!" she exclaimed in a cheerful manner.

Several statements of excitement flurried around the large cafeteria. Some consisted of gasps, some were murmurs and questions. Either way, the word of the party was brought out instantly and the entire student body knew about it at that very moment. Lyla smiled widely at the reaction from her peers.

"The party will be held this Saturday at one o'clock p.m. at my lovely friend, Kelsey's house, which is at 19 Huntington Avenue," Lyla continued onward with her announcement. "We will provide snacks, drinks, and an in-ground pool!"

The mention of an in-ground pool along with the snacks and drinks seemed to win the whole cafeteria over. Many people began cheering and hollering with enthusiasm. Exciting events such as a party were seldom in Kitty Hawk due to it being such a small town with little amounts of people. High school parties, even if they were tame, would be thrilling for the average teenager residing there.

There was something for everyone at a typical Oceanview High party. Unlike the stereotypical parties where alcohol was usually served, the drinks were seldom. Only a few people at Oceanview enjoyed the concept of alcohol and momentarily forgetting their existence. Unfortunately, some of the few were closer to Kelsey than she would have preferred.

"Be there or be square!" Lyla finished before hopping down from the table. Her baby pink Vans collided with the tiled floor with a rather loud thud.

Lyla's strawberry blonde hair swished behind her as she plopped back down onto her chair. She crossed one leg over another in a casual position with the reminiscence of a proud smile on her face. The petite girl then grabbed a breadstick from the box and began speaking before taking a bite out of it.

"See what I mean?"

Kelsey was unable to help the huge smile appearing on her glimmering face touched up with the slightest bit of makeup. "No freaking way."

"Yes freaking way," Lyla confirmed with a prideful grin. "Now, everyone in the whole student body knows about the party, and even if some don't, word will get around quick."

"Thanks, Lyla," Kelsey replied in a cheerful manner.

The petite girl was more than pleased with what her announcement had done to the cafeteria. "It's no problem at all. Anything for my best friends."

Turning the attention back towards the lonely corner of the cafeteria, Zach had heard every word about the certain party. It came to his attention he and Kelsey were neighbors, his address being 43 Huntington Avenue. He would have never known that little detail if whoever the girl who made the announcement did so.

"A party... That sounds fun," Zach thought to himself with a smile. "Maybe I can make some friends there."

Of course, Zach would have to clear it with his mother since she would be the one driving him to and from the house. Mrs. West was quite protective over him, and Zach did not blame her, but he wished he was able to have some independence every once in a while. His condition was to blame, however even with Zach's blindness, he believed he was able to be independent more often.

Despite his condition, Zach hoped he would be able to find a friend somehow at the party on Saturday. It would be at Kelsey's house, after all; maybe he was able to have another conversation with her. Zach thought she was a nice girl even after she declined his offer to walk her to class. Everyone deserved a second chance in Zach's eyes, and he was willing to give it to anyone in an instant.

There was only one problem left in Zach's path of finally making friends now.

How would he convince his mother?

༻✺༺

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9K 368 40
Sometimes you get things to happen your way and you're happy, sometimes you don't and you're hurt. What hurts even more is to experience what you had...
2.8M 210K 97
How To Be The Best Third Wheel is now published as a Paperback & E-book by Wattpad Books! As a Wattpad reader, you can also now access the Original E...
509 1 36
Warning: This is the first book I wrote for Wattpad and I just know that's it's really bad so I wish you luck if you read it! Alya is a straight A's...
6.3K 264 12
Emma can't wait to get to college and leave all of her bitter high school memories behind. Especially the one who broke her heart and made the rest o...