Of Glitter and Gold

By OliJo315

Marinette Dupain-Cheng is done. Done with the lies, done with Hawkmoth, done with her class, done with being... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50

Chapter 39

1.8K 87 1
By OliJo315

Damian walks into his homeroom, it was interesting not to see Marinette sitting at attention as she reviews or maybe talks to someone. Instead, she's absent. Damian walks to his seat, sparing a glance at what he expects to be an empty seat. Instead Damian is met with the face of a sleeping Marinette, he can see the light purple rings under her eyes, the puffy lids showing how genuinely exhausted the girl was.

Did staying up until midnight have that strong an effect on the girl? Damian found the idea of that endearing, that's so early to him. He stops the little tug on the corner of his lip well but when people mind their own business again he takes a few more glances. He was all caught up on his homework so he had all the time in the world, no thanks to Ladybird who got him bumped off the patrol board for the week.

Damian notices that she seems to nuzzle into her arms every so often, sleeping on one's desk doesn't look very comfortable.

When the bell rings everyone gathers their things, forgetting about the sleeping bluenette. Damian rolls his eyes, approaching the sleeping bluenette. Hearing the same low snore as the one from the plane, he grabs a textbook from his bag and drops it. Everyone's head snaps to Damian as Marinette's flies up- looking around.

"Homeroom is over." Marinette rushes out of her desk and grabs her bookbag as Damian grabs his book and puts it in his bag, taking the time to zip it up as Marinette rushes out of the room with a quick 'Thanks.' She has a presentation in their next period and would need to get there early. Everyone watches as Damian walks out of the room, his face in its usual scowl.

Marinette's presentation goes well, Damian is scheduled for the next day by virtue of his last name. Perhaps he could bring it up after school, ask Marinette for how she prepares before changing the topic to something less school oriented. Kor'i did the same thing the day before, all he has to do is ask questions that don't pertain to school or change the subject entirely.

Damian spends most of his lunch eating and thinking of how to get back onto patrol, could his father really blame him? Todd was the one that blamed him even though he was innocent, Ladybird is also at fault for being there. The boy knows his argument is weak but patrol is the highlight of his day, how could he argue for his innocence. The fourth Robin knows he'll get no help from Grayson who's still pestering him about who he messaged the night before.

Another portion of the period is spent taking the odd glance at Marinette who passes out at a table with some student council kids, her head resting on her hand. She's hardly propped up on her hand, some of the students at the table smile and quiet down. Damian notices more than a few students glancing at the sleeping girl, people really are obsessed with the girl.

Of course they are, she's Marinette.

By the time the lunch bell rings, signaling the end of the period, Damian still has no idea what to do. Damian doesn't pay any attention during his next class, only really coming back to the land of the living when he hears the words 'test results.' He doesn't remember walking to his last class but shrugs it off.

Damian was in his usual seat for Euro, he looked up from his desk and sees Mr. Sulkowski standing at the front of the desk talking about some problems many students seem to be having. Out of habit, and curiosity, Damian raises his hand.

"Yes, Mr. Wayne?"

"Who received the highest score?" School's been back in session for a few weeks, it's the first time he asks since before spring break. The teacher flips through the tests, sighing as if he should have known better.

"Oh, it was a close one. Marinette, congratulations." The girl's cheeks tint the littlest bit as she turns to Damian. She sticks her tongue out at him, he almost feels inclined to return the favor- he settles for a glare.

"Sore loser."

"Sore winner." He shoots back from the other side of the room, the teacher just carries on as he passes the exams back. Damian got a ninety nine, his only point off for not fully bubbling in one of the scantron answers.

The boy would have been annoyed but he's gotten the top score a few too many times because of the same reason. The exams get passed back up to the front of the class and the lecture for the day begins. She won't win next time.

Marinette smirks when she sees Damian's face, he always makes that frown while his eyes are glued to the teacher when she beats him. It's funny, Robin gives her a similar look when she ties with him in spars.

Of course, Robin is far more skilled in combat but she's stronger while in the suit so that gives her a bit of an upper hand. That and their vastly different fighting styles.

Marinette almost laughs, smiling before hiding it, they'd probably get along really well. Both bratty and over confident- they'll bond over making fun of her. The bluenette shakes her head and starts paying attention to the lecture again, taking notes as the clock drags its way towards two forty-five. Only half an hour left.

Her eyes burn at the thought of being open for so long, just a little bit longer and then she can go to sleep. She hardly takes any notes, her scattered brain struggles to pay attention to the lecture at all. The bell signaling the end of the school day goes off, Marinette yawns as she slides her notebook into her bag and walks out of the classroom.

A quick nap and then homework. Marinette resolves to use her mother as an alarm clock, anything less probably won't work. Marinette gives weak smiles to people as she walks out of the school.

Marinette is almost free, she's almost at the front steps of the school when someone taps on her shoulder.

"Hey, Marinette." She turns, everyone quiets at the sight of who it is... Ryan Tapia, one of the more popular guys in the school. Marinette musters the energy to give him a solid smile as she starts walking.

"Hey." Marinette moves to keep walking, someone places an arm around her shoulder. It's the same kid.

"So, you doin' anything today?"

"No." Marinette tries to shrug his arm off but has no luck. People start staring as he tries to lead her off the grounds.

"Why don't we do something?"

"Actually, I can't, my parents are expecting me to be home soon." Marinette tries to shove the boy off again, this time using the arm pressed against his side to try and push him off. He gets the idea.

"Next time then." The boys tries to negotiate but Marinette's already walking away. The Parisian doesn't feel bad, he backed off when he got the idea, but she should get her point across. No need for there to be any misunderstandings.

"No, but uh- thanks for the offer." Marinette is quick to make her escape, quickly walking towards the sidewalk that she can see just past the school's open gates.

Damian watches, with what looks like a good portion of the student body, as an uncomfortable Marinette tries to get the jock's arm off her. It takes a second attempt for him to drop the arm, Damian watches from inside his car as she declines his offer.

Only after he sees Marinette scurry off in the direction of the street does Alfred drive off, knowing the boy all too well. Damian watches as he passes Marinette reaching the sidewalk, she sees the car and gives a wave with a smile.

The windows are tinted but Damian gives the girl a wave back anyways, hoping she can see his response. Alfred, being the genius he is, lowers the window for the fourth robin. Marinette smiles just the little bit brighter at that, Damian stops waving.

"Are you going home?"

"Yeah." Damian contemplates the stupid decision he's about to make, reasoning that it's normal enough. If it comes off as weird she can refuse him.

"Do you need a ride?" The girl's jaw falls, her lips just parting before she closes her mouth. Her eyes betrayed her though, they were still wide, nothing too dramatic but still noticeable.

"Huh?" One of Marinette's eyes squints a little bit more than the other, her head cocking to her left a little as she leans forward as if she can't hear him properly.

"You've fallen asleep three times today, do you need to be taken home?" There are a few cars waiting behind his now.

"It's a simple question. Get in or don't, we're blocking traffic." Marinette blinks, Damian rolls his eyes.

"Uh- thanks." Damian unbuckles his seatbelt and opens the door for her, scooting to the other side of the car while Marinette gets in. He's really kicking over a hornets nest- if his family ever finds out that he willingly offered anyone a ride home they'll lose it.

Even more so because it's Marinette.

She drops her bag at her feet and puts on her seatbelt, Damian does the same. Alfred starts driving in the direction of her bakery, sixth and maple if he remembers correctly.

Having no clue what to say, the two teens just sit in silence. Alfred, the amazing man he is, breaks the silence.

"How was your day, Ms. Marinette?"

"Good, tiring. Yours?" Alfred responds but Damian doesn't pay attention. What should he say?

Someone says his name, it's Marinette.

"Yes?" The girl laughs at his inattention, not too loud but not polite either- just a small chuckle and a genuine smile. Her smile is pretty- shit.

"You seem out of it, maybe I should be the one making sure you get home safe." Damian rolls his eyes at her assumption, she's the one doing this to him.

"Pennyworth is capable of that."

"Always so literal, it was a joke. You ever heard of one?"

"From how you react to it, I assume any mention of a suit on my part is considered one."

"Yeah, yeah- we get it. You can pun. Congratulations, you accidentally made a dad joke."

"Are those not considered peak humor?" Marinette's face turns into some kind of contorted smile, her hand twitching toward her face as if she wants to cover it. Damian feels his brows furrow, what did he say this time?

She bites her lip, that's when it clicks. His siblings use the term every so often, it's a term used on social media.

"I don't see why you find this so laughable."

"Did you just call dad jokes peak humor?" Damian narrows his eyes at her, not getting the big deal. She shakes her head as if that's the end of the discussion.

"What?"

"It's just- I have to disagree. Grand-dad jokes are far better, they're like finely aged wine."

"That's a thing?" Marinette bites her lip as she slips her phone out of her book bag, typing something before shoving the device into his hands. It's a YouTube video titled: How to Deliver a Baby.

It shows an elderly man holding a newborn on the thumbnail, said man is putting a stamp on the baby's forehead.

"You're joking."

"I'd never do so about something of such importance, your horizons need to be broadened." Damian just looks at a widely smiling Parisian, their expressions couldn't be more different.

"Miss, we've arrived." Marinette's smile doesn't falter as she gives Damian a little victorious wink before turning to open the door as she grabs her bag.

"Thanks again, Alfred, Damian, see you later!" Marinette gives them another smile before getting out and closing the door behind her. He was going to say goodbye but the door was already closed, and Alfred must have raised the window at some point because it was up. She gives them a farewell wave as the car drives off.

Did she just wink at him? What the hell does that mean?

"Pennyworth, get me Kor'i's number please."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

163K 3.1K 20
Ladybug and Chat Noir captures Hawkmoth and brings him to the police, in the process they find out his identity. Something in Chat Noir breaks and he...
25.2K 532 15
Marinette Dupain-Cheng is your typical 16 year old girl: has a loving family, friends in school, good grades, and has two careers, and is the daughte...
281K 9.4K 33
When the miraculous team becomes suspicious of Lila, they are going to need the help of a certain bat-detective to determine if Lila is working with...
34.4K 819 19
Damian and Marinette grew up together but after an unfortunate turn of events, Marinette's parents had passed away on a mission. Talia then betrothe...