Freed

By MaddyLib_21

*Sequel to Bound* If you have not read the previous story "Bound" go back and read it! This won't make much s... More

Prologue
Five Months Later
Practice
Answers
A New Alliance
Journey
Druids
A New Threat
Banquet
War is Upon Us
A Promise
Journey
Trapped
Found
Freya
The Cave
Emrys
Return
Camlann
For the Love of Camelot
Fire
Rescue
Battle
Gone
All Hail

Council

699 32 13
By MaddyLib_21

"She's a witch!"

"She attacked our kingdom!"

"Her and the sorcerer are plotting to destroy our land!"

"ENOUGH!" Arthur silenced the council.
"Morgana has been in Camelot for a year now, and she has gained my trust. She has repented of her crimes and has served due time for them. She is also a member of the Pendragon line and will be respected!"

Arthur continued berating the council, but Morgana had heard enough. She quietly slipped out the back door as the council was still arguing. She stopped in the hallway with her back against a wall, holding her head in her hands. Soon after she heard a set of footsteps approaching her. She looked up to see Gwen baring a look of apology. Morgana allowed Gwen to pull her into a warm embrace as Morgana just continued to stare at the wall ahead of her.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Gwen whispered.

"I wouldn't know where to start. I'm honored; truly I am. But the people will never trust me, not as they once did. I still don't know if this is such a good idea."

"In time the people will see who you are. With so much change happening right now the people are quick to react. Eventually, things will calm down."

Morgana thought back to the council chamber, realizing she left both Arthur and Merlin to deal with them.

"I assume the council is still arguing."

"They were when I left."

"I shouldn't have left Arthur and Merlin to fend for me by themselves." Morgana gulped.

"They'll be fine. Arthur is more than used to taking opposition from the council. I think Merlin will fight for you until the sun dies."

Morgana chuckled.
"Few are more loyal. I have done nothing to deserve such stubbornly loyal friends."

"You would do the same for us. In fact, you have on multiple occasions. Do not let the wrongs of your past blind you from the beauty of your future."

"Thank you, Gwen. You have always had a kind heart."

The two lingered in the hallway for a few minutes before Arthur and Merlin joined them. They both looked worn, but determined.

"Well?" Morgana questioned.

"Two council members have resigned, but the rest seem inclined to see reason," Arthur answered. "Honestly, it was their time to go anyways. They would've died off in a few years one way or another."

"Believe it or not, your Majesty, old age one day befalls us all."

The four jumped and turned to notice Gaius entering the conversation. Gaius smirked at their stunned reaction before turning to Morgana.

"You did very well, my Lady. The council will one day see sense. Until then, you must not let them get to you."

"Thank you, Gaius. You're a good friend."

Gaius nodded, then continued.
"Well, I must get back to my studies. Oh, and Merlin and Arthur when you two are available could you please come and speak with me. There is a matter I feel I should discuss with you."

"Sure. Anything we need to be concerned about?" Merlin wondered.

"Nothing too urgent. I just want to clarify a few things."

With that, Gaius walked off to his chambers.

"What's that about?" Arthur murmured.

"I don't know," Merlin replied. "It can't be too important; otherwise he would've asked us to come immediately."

"Comforting. I just hope whatever it is doesn't take all night. I was hoping to go on a little sunset ride tonight," he raised his eyebrows at his wife, who gave a little chuckle.

"Are you sure you're okay Morgana? The first council meeting is a lot to handle." Merlin asked.

"I will be. Gwen's here and you two have to go meet Gaius."

"She's right," Gwen cheered. "Besides, I do believe we have a banquet tomorrow and Morgana and I need to pick outfits."

The girls linked arms and went to try on dresses or whatnot. The boys looked at each other, shaking their heads. Then, walked off to see what Gaius was up to. On the way there Arthur kept giving Merlin sideways glances and looked like he wanted to say something. Merlin sighed.

"You know you can stop looking like a fish out of water and just ask."

Arthur was taken aback, but he quickly shook it off.

"I do not look like a fish."

"Right now you do."

"Do not. How are things with you and Morgana?"

"They're good," Merlin shrugged.

"Have you all talked about, you know, being more?"

Merlin sighed, looking downcast.
"It's complicated."

"Why is it complicated? Anyone who is watching can see it. I married Guinevere, so I don't see how this is any different."

"It's entirely different! I already have half of Camelot breathing down my neck just for being Court Sorcerer. I've been attacked once already, and at least a quarter of the kingdom thinks you're enchanted. If Morgana and I were to be made known, that would only put her in more danger. The kingdom would be in uproar!"

"I'll take care of the kingdom. You shouldn't let your fear of them get in the way of your heart."

Merlin looked at Arthur, dumbfounded.

"What?" Arthur asked.

"Every once in while you don't sound like a complete clotpole."

"I'm not a clotpole."

"Yes, you are."

They arrived at the physician's chambers are walked in. Gaius was sitting at the table with a few books laid out in front of him.

"Ah! Your Majesty, Merlin come in. Close the door behind you."

Merlin closed the door as Arthur spoke up.

"What's this about? You said you needed to clarify a few things."

"Yes. I assume Merlin told you about his visit with the dragon."

"He did. Him and Morgana told us right when they got back. He said that they altered destiny."

"Yes... that's what has me concerned. Destiny is not so easily altered," he turned to Merlin.
"It is your destiny to protect Arthur and Camelot. But with Morgana out of the picture, who are you protecting it from? Don't you think it's odd that we haven't had an outside threat on Camelot in months?"

Concern started to grow steadily with Merlin.

"I didn't really think about it."

"Merlin, did the dragon say anything to you that you may have left out? Anything about Morgana's original destiny?"

Merlin thought hard, then he remembered the warning Kilgarrah gave him.

"He said that Morgana's destiny will not go unfulfilled. Destiny will always right itself. He said that there's a new dark power arising against Camelot."

"That's what you left out?! I think that's a little important!" Arthur exclaimed.

"I was preoccupied!"

"Well, either way that brings me to my other concern. When is the last time anyone's heard of Edith?"

Merlin felt a chill run down his spine as he heard that name.

"It's been nearly a year since we last heard," Arthur answered. "Why?"

"She is the most powerful sorceress besides Morgana that we know is still alive. As much as I hate to admit it, I don't think we've seen the last of her. If the warning is as you said, we must be on guard."

Merlin visibly paled. He didn't even want to think of the prospect of seeing her ever again. His hand was shaking and Arthur and Gaius took notice.

"You alright?" Arthur inquired.

"Yeah... yeah, I'll be fine."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.9K 583 25
A long time ago, before Morgana became evil, before she knew she had magic, before Arthur became King, Morgana gave birth to her daughter. A sorceres...
6.7K 281 26
After every dusk and the darkest hour it always comes the dawn. ~ What if Merlin managed to take Arthur to Avalon? What if Arthur lived? Will they bu...
364 9 3
Merlin and Arthur got married, just as they always wanted. But war had struck Camelot, taking the life of its beloved King Arthur. Merlin is left to...
42.7K 2K 18
'This is a sequel to my other story, "Merlin: The Secret"' you might want to read that first so you won't get confused when reading this one :D Thin...