Mirror of Embers (Book 1)

By Monkeygirl311

Ember Ryvergrave is tired and alone. Her mother is dead, her twin sister doesn't need her, and her best frien... More

a e s t h e t i c s
i n t r o d u c t i o n
p r o l o g u e
o n e
t w o
t h r e e
f o u r
f i v e
s i x
s e v e n
e i g h t
n i n e
t e n
e l e v e n
t w e l v e
t h i r t e e n
f o u r t e e n
f i f t e e n
s i x t e e n
s e v e n t e e n
e i g h t e e n
n i n e t e e n
t w e n t y
t w e n t y - o n e
t w e n t y - t h r e e
t w e n t y - f o u r
t w e n t y - f i v e
t w e n t y - s i x
t w e n t y - s e v e n
t w e n t y - e i g h t
t w e n t y - n i n e
t h i r t y
t h i r t y - o n e
t h i r t y - t w o
t h i r t y - t h r e e
t h i r t y - f o u r
t h i r t y - f i v e
t h i r t y - s i x
t h i r t y - s e v e n
e p i l o g u e
the end of book one!!

t w e n t y - t w o

7.2K 222 245
By Monkeygirl311

Ember

TWO DAYS. It's been two days and the King of Moriella still hasn't come to talk to me. What is he doing? He hasn't made an appearance yet, hasn't popped up. I don't know what he's playing at, but it's unnerving. I don't think the King is a fool, I think he has a strategic plan and he's following it.

He has had me go down with Carlisle for some weird version of an interrogation. Carlisle—who's name I've learned is actually Desmond. Desmond Carlisle. He was not pleased when I found out his first name from Lawrence. I have taken to calling him Des and Desy. He is not very pleased with me. Especially right now. This weird interrogation is some form of training. Carlisle brings me down to this room and we spar, while he pesters me with questions about my sister. None of which I answer. He's getting very fed up with me. But, he still comes back every couple of hours and brings me down here. He said it was better to get some practice in him while he gets nowhere with me. Smart man. I can tell he needs some sort of answers from me though. The King is probably furious at Carlisle. Do I care though? Nope.

Not one bit.

If anything, I'm enjoying it.

Especially throwing him on his ass.

Carlisle glares at me, his light brown eyes flare with anger. It isn't a good look on him. He looks quite sour.

He advances on me, his sword in hand. We begin to circle each other. I hate the sword I'm holding, it isn't balanced like Nightingale, it's pommel is much heavier and weighted. A fake topaz jewel sits at the hilt. For a fake rock, it sure is heavy. I widen my stance as I continue circling Carlisle. An evil grin tugs at my lips.

"Giving me a weighted sword won't stop me from overpowering you, Des. But, I do applaud your efforts." I sway my stupid sword from left to right. "You know, you could always say please?" His eyes harden on mine.

"No?" I shrug. "Pride will get you nowhere with me."

"Stop talking." He bites out, his deep brown skin is peppered with beads of sweat.

"Why? Am I distracting you?"

"You're annoying me." He retorts.

I click my tongue. "Well, that is not very—" Carlisle lunges at me, he swipes my side. I duck and roll out of the way. I spring up and kick in his heel. He grunts and whirls around. I spring to the ground again and sweep out my leg. He's fast though, for someone in their early forties to still be this fast is a miracle. There is a reason he's captain of the guard. My father's old position.

Mama told us we used to live in Lodashine, before father died. I guess it was too much for her to be around the old memories. To see all the people who knew him. To hear all the apologies and pities. I wouldn't be able to take seeing that same old sad look in their eyes every time they saw me. Makes sense as to why she left.

Carlisle leaps away from my feet. He grabs the cuff of my tunic and yanks me up. I reel my head back, smashing my skull into his forehead. He curses and lets go of me. I jab my elbow into his side, he grabs my elbow and twists my arm behind my back, dropping my stupid sword in the process.

Damn him.

Fine, I'll play dirty then.

With my free hand I grab hold of his shoulder, meeting his fiery gaze before I ram my knee into his groin. He bellows and doubles over. I wrinkle my nose at him and his dramatic grunting before picking up my discarded sword. I walk over to him and place the blade at the back of his neck.

"I'd say," the grin returns to my lips, "that you've lost."

He grunts.

"I'd be more upset about this if you were a man."

Anger gurgles through my veins like a boiling cauldron. My face contorts to a scowl. What an actual jerk. Fucking misogynistic prick. "You're a coward." I spit. "Pride won't get you anywhere, fool. You think you're better than me because you're a man? You're twice my body weight and height and I was able to take you down. You're a piece of shit, Desmond Carlisle." I press the blade harder into the back of his neck for emphasis.

Carlisle chuckles.

The asshole actually chuckles.

"I didn't mean it like that, Miss Ryvergrave." He states.

"Oh? Then pray tell, what way did you mean it?"

"To lose to a man is an insult. To lose to a skilled woman is fair. I'd want my daughter to be able to take down a man twice her body size while defending herself."

I blink.

Well, then.

"You have a daughter?" I ask, releasing the tip from his neck. Carlisle nods, while rising slowly to his feet. "Yeah, she's a year older than you."

"Oh."

Carlisle picks up his fallen sword. His seems to have a real jewel in the pommel, unlike mine. He motions me forward. Sword up. I raise mine.

We begin to strike.

Carlisle and I parry for a while, not in any mood to actually disable each other. "What's the sage salamander on your tunic mean?"

He scrunches his nose at the question. "It's the King's fiercest warriors' symbol. His protectors."

So the man who killed Mama was one of the King's protectors. What the hell was one of his protectors doing in my living room. Why did they think Mama stole something from them.

Does that mean the King dispatched that man to kill Mama? Could he still be working here in the castle. Gods, I hope not. There is no way I'd be able to kill him with just my hands and feet. I'd need my magic. And this stupid little ring around my finger prevents me from doing such. I hate it here I hate it here I hate it here.

I just want to go home. I want to be around Faune and Lokas and Royal. I want to get away from Kam. I want to leave Lodashine and never come back. This place sucks. I wanna burn it down to the ground.

"You've seen it before?" He asks.

I shake my head quickly. "No." the lie flies off my lips.

I don't know what he'd do if Carlisle knew what I'm putting together. Nothing good I bet. "Just curious."

"Then humour me." He says, my brows raise, Carlisle leans into his attack. Finally. He was putting no effort into those jabs. It was so boring. This is what I like. I like a good fight. I crave it.

I lean back and continue to parry. Carlisle swings his sword at my head. I duck, I feel the air whip across my braid as his sword cleaves through the air. I smile. I spring back up and begin to advance on him. He bends his knees and leans back on his haunches. He leaps forward, but I'm already gone. I'm flattened on the ground. I roll off my belly and jump up. He's finally putting in effort. It'll be a fair fight.

"When did you discover you and your sister were different?" He pants. I don't let his question distract me. I propel myself forward, our swords clash. Metal on metal makes me smile smugly. This is my other element. What I'm good at. I can practically hear it hum under my blood. Begging to be let out. To be released. Unfortunately, I can't. We said we'd do this fair. And I stick to my words. This will be fair.

"Are you insinuating I'm special? If so, I'm flattered, Des."

Carlisle scowls at me. He lunges again. Sword whipping through the air. I catch it with my own. We press into each other. "Will you answer any of my questions, Ember?"

I smile. I hook my foot around his ankle and tug it. Well, I attempt to tug it. Instead Carlisle stomps on my foot. I grunt. I won't whimper in front of him. Gods, no. Not happening. I strike with my sword again, but it doesn't connect. Carlisle has some sort of new found strength. He's no longer panting or cursing at me. He's breathing evenly and his face is pinched together in concentration. I have a feeling he's been holding out on me during our training sessions, because this is a Carlisle I've never seen before. This is the Captain of the Guard.

Shit.

He might just beat me at this.

Carlisle blocks my blow and head butts me. My forehead screams at the contact. Son of a bi—

He doesn't stop there, he drives the pommel of his sword into my windpipe. I fall to the floor coughing and gasping. My throat and eyes burn. Foul man. What an ass. He struts over to me, a satisfied smile on his face. He offers me a hand. Really? He thinks I need his help? Asshole.

I tentatively grab his hand, only to yank him down to the floor with me. I jump to my feet and kick him in the side. "You shouldn't let your guard down. Even when you think I'm down. I'm never done with a fight." I say, grabbing my discarded sword.

Carlisle chuckles, "I'll take that into consideration."

"You can put it back," he tells me. "We're done for the day."

I shrug, I walk over to the weapons rack and drop off my stupid sword.

Carlisle is on his feet. I walk over to him and he begins to lead me back to my room. I cross my arms over my chest and refuse to look at him. I'm really in no mood to talk to him. I'm in no mood to talk to anyone, to be honest. I just want to go shower and lay in bed. That's all I want to do. I probably won't get to though. Lawrence and his royal ass will be sitting on the couch. He'll mock my appearance and will begin to talk and talk and talk. He talks way too fucking much. I feel like I need to be sedated while being in the same room as him. He's too much to handle. It's wonderful knowing he's going to run the kingdom, eventually. It really helps me sleep at night.

"You'll have to talk to me eventually, Ember." Carlisle says.

I sigh, "No, I don't.

He looks at me sidelong, his brown eyes look very tired. "The King is becoming restless. He'll take drastic measures to get you to talk."

"He won't hurt me. Not without angering the King of Llryia." I tell him.

He shakes his head. "He doesn't need to hurt you. There are other people he can use to get through to you."

A shiver runs down my spine. I had a feeling the King would. He can't hurt me without pissing off the High-King. Shit. Why won't the King make an appearance yet? It's so unnerving.

"You have a daughter, yes?" I ask, hugging my waist as we turn down a hall. The hall that leads to the spiral staircase up to the Prince and mine's room. His eyes narrow on me. "Yes."

"Do you have more family than her?"

"Yes."

"Then you have no idea what it feels like to have no one. You don't know what it feels like to have to protect the one thing most important to you. She's all I have left, Captain. I won't let the King harm her."

Carlisle's eyes soften. The once hard and dark gaze is gone and a cooler, friendlier one takes its place. I hate it. He's pitying me. I bite my cheek to stop from bristling.

"He wouldn't harm her, the King is a good man—"

"I don't know that. I don't know what his intentions are. Given the fact that he brought me here against my will and refuses to let me leave, you'll forgive me if I'm skeptical, Captain."

"You're a wanted criminal." He notes.

I shoot him a dark look.

"That's not the point. My sister is innocent. She's never done anything wrong in her life. She doesn't deserve any of this."

"Fair enough."

We reach the top of the stairs and run into the one person I really didn't want to see.

Ugh. Just my luck, huh?

His face is hard, his mouth set in a tight line. His amber eyes shine with something dark. I can feel the darkness begin to consume us. Light's begin to sniff out throughout the corridor. Well, shit. This should be interesting.

He tilts his head to the side as he stares at Carlisle.

"Care to explain what you're doing with my mate?" Kam asks. I fight the wince at the word. I keep my face neutral as Kam speaks to the Captain.

"Not that it's any of your business, Your Majesty,"—ouh, rookie mistake—a muscle pops in Kam's jaw. He's clenching it so hard I fear he'll snap it right off the hinges. "But, we were sparring."

Kam's voice is dangerously low as he speaks, "Well, Captain, it becomes my 'business' when you take my mate without telling me. And, I hope you remember who you're talking to. I am not one of your subordinates."

"Apologies, Your Majesty. But I regret to inform you that I do not answer to you. My allegiance is to King Adrian. He was the one who insisted on the sparring."

Kam narrows his eyes. An evil smile forming on his lips. I swallow back the rising lump in my throat. I know that smile way too well. That's his "I'm about to rip your fucking throat out" smile. Gods, Carlisle is a fucking fool for standing down Kam. Fucking balls of steel.

I step in between both men, placing one of my hands on Kam's chest. He stares down at it, I instantly regret putting it there. He looks at it like a proclamation of my love for him. Good gods. I don't take it off his chest though. It's distracting him from his pissing match with Carlisle.

"I'm fine, Kam. He was taking me back to my room, anyway."

Those gold eyes meet mine. My heart picks up at his stare. Stupid traitorous heart. I hope it shrivels up and dies. Kam levels me a bemused look. "Was he now?"

"Yes, it's fine." No. It's not. None of this is fucking fine. I'm so far from fine. None of this is okay, I shouldn't be here. I should be fighting more. I should kill everyone in my path and swear to tear them limb to limb if they get in my way. That's all what I should be doing. Not what I will do in the end. I don't even know what I'll do. But currently it's staying in this castle. Not causing trouble. If not for my sake but for Faune's. She can't be here, I can take whatever they'll throw at me. But Faune wasn't trained to be like me. To have a tolerance for pain. She hasn't learned the quiet fury all us Bastards take on when we're in shitty situations. She wouldn't survive. I love my sister, but she's no warrior.

Kam eyes glint with a knowing look. He can read me like an open book. I hate it. I wish he didn't know me. I really wished I hadn't been so trusting when we met in Tennia, it would've made this all so much easier if I had guarded my heart better. With my luck never ever seems to get easier for me. I wanna go home. That's all I want.

His eyes leave mine to glare at Carlisle. "I can take it from here, Captain. You're dismissed." The ire in his voice crawls through his throat and drips off his tongue. I can imagine it drizzling to the stone floor. I imagine it sizzles and hisses as it meets the cool stone. I roll my tongue in my cheek and shake my head slightly. This is all unnecessary, Carlisle wasn't doing anything wrong. I may dislike him, but he's doing his job. It's also like I'm not even a real prisoner anymore. I don't wear the cuffs anymore because of the handy dandy ring on my finger now, and I've spent the past two days lounging in my suite. With the Prince, much to my dismay, but besides that; I'm being treated more like a guest than a hostage. I don't know how to feel about all of this. It's strange. The King should've done something by now. The fact that he won't deign to see me sets my blood on fire. He has the nerve to capture me but doesn't care enough to speak with me? What kind of game is this man playing?

Carlisle clicks his tongue but doesn't object. He bows at the waist, the fire in his eyes does not go unnoticed. Not by me or Kam, for that matter. I can't tell if Kam is going to lay into him again or if he's going to snort. I wouldn't be surprised for the latter.

The Captain nods in my direction and takes off without another word. I spin around on Kam. I poke him hard in the chest. His pectoral is stiff under my touch. "What'd you go and do that for?" I jab him again, he scrunches his face at me. "He works for the King, he's just doing his job, Kam."

Kam stares at me dryly. "That's what I'm afraid of, Hannah." He tells me, his tone serious. I stare at him, dumbfounded. He's right. I shouldn't protect Carlisle, he works for the King. For all I know he could've been instructed to befriend me, to learn all my secrets, to become my friend—

Fucking Hell.

He's already done that.

His little shit of a son with a big attitude. I swear, I have never met a more dramatic boy in my entire life. It's pitiful to think he's the one who will be the next monarch. At least I'll get to tell my grandkids I shared a room with the King of Moriella.

I poke Kam's chest again, harder. "You are the most dramatic person I have ever met."

"Says you.

"I may be dramatic, Your Majesty, but I am not as bad as you."

Kam barks a humorless laugh. "If you say so."

"I do."

"Fine."

"Fine."

Kam runs a hand through his hair, I get a proper look at him. His shoulders are a bit slumped and his eyes are drowned in dark circles. Usually he banters with me. I yell at him, and he finds some way to make me even madder. Today he won't fight back. He's tired. Why is he so tired?

I step forward a bit and grab his chin. His eyes widen. I tilt his head to the side, assessing him. He stares at me, those gold eyes burning the skin that meets their gaze. There is tension in his shoulders. A lot of it. His neck is stiff.

"Have you not been sleeping?" I ask. I forget who we both are, instincts take over me as I begin to poke and prod at his neck. I use my finger and spin it in a circle. Kam sighs through his nose but listens. His back faces my front. My hands begin to work. They press and massage all the tight skin. I used to do this for him. He used to have the worst back pain, it still bothers him, I can tell, but he does nothing about it. He's too proud to admit that he needs help. I may hate him, but I don't want to see him in pain. He's clearly dealing with something.

Mama used to be a nurse when she worked at the palace with my father. Before they moved to Marelli to raise Faune and me. Sometimes she'd help people in Krasmere, she'd ease their pain by massaging the sore muscles. Faune and I used to practice on each other when we were little. We wanted to copy her. We got pretty good at it.

I massage Kam's shoulders and lower back. Kneading the tight muscles.

Kam moans as I knead a knot in his lower back. He lets his head fall. Gods, what's wrong? I've never seen him this tired and overworked before. Actually I've never seen him work, period. I didn't know the man in front of me as Kamolinn, the High-King of Llyria. He was just Kam.

He's still Kam. He's the same person. Ugh, that stupid voice is back. I know. I say angrily in my head. But can you forgive him? He wrecked you. The voice points out. I scowl. Piss off. I can imagine them faintly chuckling at me.

Stupid voice.

I know it's right, though. I know Kam is still the same person, but I don't want to admit to that. It's easier to tie that Kam to a whole other person. That Kam lived in Tennia with their cousin. That Kam loved to read and write. That Kam loved me. That Kam liked vanilla donuts.

But if I put him away as a different person, I would have to do the same with myself. The Ember that went to Tennia. The Ember who spent the summer with a man who loved her.

It feels like a different world. I feel like I'm watching two characters in a dramatic play. It doesn't look like me, Kam doesn't look like Kam. He looks like Kamolinn and I look like Ember Ryvergrave—the assassin.

"You need to take care of yourself." I scold.

He groans as my hands knead a knot next to his spine. "I know. I never realize it's bad until it's too late."

I shake my head, I'm not the assassin right now. I'm Em. The girl from Tennia helping the boy she once loved. "You shouldn't work yourself too hard. Your back is bad enough as is."

"I know."

I sigh through my nose. "What's wrong?"

He slumps a bit. When was the last time someone looked out for him? He's always his last priority. He takes care of an entire country, but can't take care of himself. Stupid.

"Nothing—"

I squeeze his shoulders. He's not getting away with lying to me. Not when I can tell he's really out of it. I can put away my differences for five minutes if it means he can talk to someone. I'm not that cruel of a person to let him suffer in silence.

He laughs and shakes his head.

"I've been up all night since you've arrived."

My brows pinch together. "Why?"

"I can't say it out loud."

Confusion ripples through me. What can't he say out loud?

"Make a Calling with me and I'll tell you."

My hands still on his back. Bastard. I open my mouth but Kam has turned around and is now facing me. His face serious. His mouth in a tight line. He jerks his chin at the walls. "They have ears." He whispers.

My eyes widen. Spies. In the castle? Good gods. I'll have to be even more careful if Kam believes someone would overhear our conversation.

He gives me a knowing look. Oh my. It really is that bad.

I sigh again and nod my head grimly. I squeeze my eyes shut and grab his hand and squeeze it. I concentrate on the two of us. On a piece of thread connecting us through our minds. Spun moonlight links our minds together. I hear a click and my eyes fly open.

Go. I say to him. His face lifts in a smile as he hears my voice in his head. I refrain from rolling my eyes, even though they're screaming at me too.

I was contacted by someone telling me it was a mistake to bring you here. That I should've known the history of the past kings. I've been up in the royal archives searching for answers.

My face falls. Someone warned Kam that I shouldn't have been brought here? Well, that's very comforting. Did you find out anything of value?

The only thing strange is about King Theon Gwenyth, he ruled over a hundred years ago.

What was strange about him?

Kam beckons for me to start walking. Standing in the hall staring at each other and not speaking will be creepy as fuck. Kam and I begin to walk back through the halls of the castle.

He killed himself.

My brows pull together. Perhaps he was depressed? I don't see how that's strange.

Kam shakes his head. It was the way he killed himself that was strange, not that he did it.

I deadpan and shoot my gaze to Kam. What do you mean?

He didn't kill himself simply. The nurse who looked over Theon after went into shock. Ungodly magic was rippled through him. Magic no god possesses. Touching him apparently felt like death and decay.

A chill runs down my spine. Ungodly magic? How is that even possible.

Unless it was a demon, a demon who cursed the King or killed him with his magic. That could be a possibility. But what would a demon want with the then King of Moriella? Usually greater demons prey on the weak, people who can't fight back. A greater demon wouldn't go for a King. He had a whole army to command and protect him.

Kam seems to be reading my thoughts; probably through the Calling.

That's what I was confused about. They wouldn't prey on Theon, which means it wasn't a greater demon.

Do you know anyone that powerful? Did you know Theon?

A shake of his head. No, I was about three years old when Theon ruled.

I stop in my tracks. Are you telling me you're a hundred years old?

He smirks, the dimple appearing. Actually, I'm 103 years old.

My jaw slacks open. I dated a man who was a hundred-and-three years old when I was sixteen? Good gods, what was he thinking? Technically, I was considered an adult because I worked for Minette and lived alone. I paid taxes and my own bills. Technically I was an adult when all of this happened. But good gods, he was a hundred-and-two when I was sixteen. Sixteen. Oh my, I-

No, don't think of it like that. He says in my mind. I shoot my head to him. How am I supposed to think about it Kam? I was sixteen, good gods.

No. Fae age differently than humans, Ember. I was technically eighteen in human years, but a hundred-and-two in Fae years when we went out. We reach our prime a century into our lives. So technically I was around your age. And anyway, it's not like we had sex.

But I had wanted to, you knew that. I counter, because I had. I had wanted to have sex with him. But we never got the chance to be alone together, and when we did Kam wouldn't let us take it that far. He always stopped us.

I had too, but I knew we couldn't. Not when you didn't know me, or my age. I never wanted you to regret it in the future. He reassures.

How do I respond to that? Yay! I'm so happy you didn't want to fuck me until I knew who you were? Is that what he wants me to say? 'Cause I won't. He still lied to me. About everything. That doesn't make up for anything.

Well I would hope you would be happy that I didn't fuck you, Ember.

My mouth slacks open. Shit shit shit. He heard that. Gods-damn him, I never wanted to make the stupid Calling between us. Now I have to be careful until I close it. Damn him.

My cheeks and ears burn with shame and embarrassment. The corners of his lips quirk. Now my face is hot with rage instead. I elbow him in the side. He groans but doesn't move away. He keeps walking, but I can tell he's fighting the smirk from rising on his lips. He knows I didn't mean to say that to him. Cheeky bastard.

I cross my arms over my chest and look anywhere but at him

So you didn't know Theon, but did anyone figure out what that magic was? I ask, changing the subject.

Kam sighs. No, no one knows what the magic was. I've been reading through the books in the royal archive to find something about him. I know it's him who the person was talking about. All the other kings lived boring lives. Theon was the only one who stood out to me.

Was there an autopsy report on the body? I've had to file many reports over the years as a Bastard. Minette makes us deal with our dead targets or clients. I would've had to go back that night Lokas and I killed those demon possessed men if it weren't for Royal and his letter. It was mid-day when we killed those men, we couldn't have lugged them through the streets in broad daylight. We would've after dinner. Well, that never happened.

I wonder what happened to them. I wonder if anyone disposed of their bodies, or left them there to rot.

None that I've been able to find. Well, none I have access to.

We round the corner and come to my door. Come get me tonight.

His brows shoot up. Why?

Because I can get you those files.

Kam cocks his head to the side. And why would you want to help me?

I glare at him. I'm not helping you, this concerns me too. You were warned that I shouldn't be here, remember?

He smiles. Mhm.

I ignore his knowing smile and continue on. I can get the files, is there a restricted section?

He nods. There is.

Great. Come here when everyone is asleep.

And how do you plan to get the files, Miss Ryvergrave.

I cringe at my last name but barrel forward. You've never seen a Moon-Bound in action, have you?

His smile widens. Can't say I have.

I don't fight my own grin from forming on my own lips. I'm strongest at night, Your Majesty, especially when I become the night itself.

I bet you're incredible.

I shrug. That I am.

I smile one last time before striding into my room and leaving Kam outside. I walk over to the couch and flop down on it.

Finally, I can do something worthwhile tonight. I can use my powers for something other than fighting. I can become darkness tonight.

Gods, I'm excited.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

53.9K 1.1K 16
7 years ago Cassidy Stark got pregnant with Pietro Maximoffs baby. Nobody knew, nobody needed to know, until Cassidy finds out he's an avenger now. N...
278K 5.9K 33
WATTPAD BOOKS EDITION You do magic once, and it sticks to you like glitter glue... When Johnny and his best friend, Alison, pass their summer holid...
Remember By Alexis

Mystery / Thriller

105K 13.5K 101
Imagine being stranded in the middle of nowhere with no memory of who you are. You randomly walk into a coffee shop, clueless. You start questioning...
333K 18.2K 39
"You're forcing me to work with them and I'm telling you now that I can't do it." "You've worked with teams before." "Yeah, but none with a jackass i...