Sweet Persuasion (Book 4 of t...

By MelonDiaries

*ON HOLD* April Nolan had no luck with men after her last relationship got her hospitalized. But then, her lu... More

Copyright/Disclaimer
Prologue
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen

One

261 14 0
By MelonDiaries

It was a happy day. Even though I was overjoyed seeing my best friend married the love of her life, I was at my limit. Seeing so much happiness presented in front of me, I wanted to vomit and curse at the universe for not giving me any of it.

Hence, it wasn't a happy day for me.

What have I done to deserve this without a semblance of my version of happily-ever-after? I thought grimly.

After finishing the third mini bottle of tequila stashed in my purse, I turned towards the open bar on the right corner of the party venue.

By that point, it was a surprise I've kept it together. To be able to sit through dinner, speeches, and the bride and groom's first dance, I'm on my way to a new record of tolerance.

Reaching the bar, I waved the bartender over and ordered myself another shot of tequila, and instructed to keep them coming my way.

"I've always known you were the party girl between you and your sister. But I never thought you're the type who'd drink herself to an early grave, especially on your best friend's wedding."

I turned and glared at his familiar smug grin and the flirty sparkle in his eyes.

"Go away and bother someone else, Crawford." I waved at him dismissively.

"Oh, come on, April. Don't be like that," he said. "I thought you've gone past your hatred of me when Amy and I become friends again. Didn't she tell you that Flynn and her reconciled?"

"She did. But I'm not entitled to like her choices, as she isn't entitled to send you here to babysit me. She did ask you, did she?" I asked, scanning the venue until I met my sister's dark gaze.

I added when he hadn't replied. "How did she bride you to do that? Didn't you come here on a hot date? You shouldn't let my sister get in the way of your free night."

"I came here by myself, actually. And your sister didn't bride me to do anything. I was on my way to the bar and she asked me to check up on you, that's all," he replied somberly.

I snorted. "Oh, really? Just like that, you're taking her orders and hiding it as some sort of a favor," I paused as the bartender put another shot of tequila in front of me. I drank it in under three seconds. "You know, you should be upfront with yourself. Because, if you're waiting for Amy and Dean's relationship to fizzle out, it won't."

My words took him off guard. He had to take a second to recollect himself. "Excuse me?"

I held up my empty shot glass, signaling the bartender for another. "I know you have a thing for Amy since she and Flynn were together. I saw how you look at her."

"I don't have a thing for Amy. And what look are you talking about?"

"Oh, you do," I said and rolled my eyes. "You have this dazed look in your eyes. Like you're daydreaming about your future together. And, really, Crawford, I thought you would have made a move by now. It's been years. So, why haven't you?"

He stared at me for a whole minute and then shook his head. "Sometimes I forget you and Amy are related."

"Hey! What does that mean?" I lightly slapped his arms. "I feel like you've just insulted me."

"I'm not, April," he replied with a sigh. "It's actually a compliment. Amy's a force of nature, and I'm still in awe of why Flynn let that one slide. But I'm glad she found someone who takes care and cherishes her."

"I think you're trying to change the subject," I said accusingly. "So, tell me. Why have you not made a move?"

His penetrating gaze started to faze me. But then, he looked away and smirked.

"I've always considered Amy as a sister. I would never willingly destroy that for one night of pleasure," he stated frankly.

His words surprised me. Somehow, I found myself smiling. "Even if I don't like you, Steve, you are a good man."

He snorted and smiled shyly. "Thank you."

When the bartender placed my new shot glass, I handed it over to him. "Here. Drink this."

Without hesitation, he took the glass and drank it. He coughed and heaved a sigh.

"Did that help?" I asked.

"Help with what?"

"Whatever it is troubling you right now. You are here to find the cure for misery, right? Well, besides babysitting me."

"Oh god, do I look miserable?" He asked and placed the shot glass down on the bar counter.

I snorted and chuckled. "No, not on the outside. But as someone miserable, I can tell."

Steve held up his hand, signaled for two more shots of tequila. "Well, at least, it's undetectable. Because you aren't shy about hiding your gloom. Couldn't you wait until the party is over?"

"And, what? Waste the opportunity to drink free alcohol? You know how much they charge for this at the hotel bar?"

He laughed. "You're right. This is the best time to drink and be miserable."

I chuckled and then sighed, facing the party. "My God, how I wish I was part of those happy and sparkly people right now."

"And why are you miserable?" He asked a second later.

I rolled my eye. "Like you don't already know. I presume my sister told you."

"What? That your ex-boyfriend was an abusive ass and he totally deserves to be charged for assault and battery?" He quipped.

I peered at him and rolled my eyes again. "See. You know."

We watched as the party continued unfolding in front of us. Everybody was starting to become less formal as the wedding program ended. A few were huddled together in groups, chatting happily with a full stomach and drinks in hand.

"You shouldn't let it affect you, April. You're stronger and better than letting a man lose your spark."

I snorted. "Lose my spark? I've not lost anything."

"Then why are you miserable if not for a man?"

"Not all women wallow in grief for a man. Sometimes, it's losing the possibility of a future that we lamented on. He took advance of my trust. He made me question myself. And that deserves me a moment to grieve and drink," I begrudgingly said and turned around, signaling the bartender another round.

"I'm not saying you shouldn't." He replied.

"Then what is it your saying?"

"Don't let it ruin you for longer than necessary because you will miss the real deal next time."

I laughed mockingly. "If there is a next time."

"What? You're giving up already?" He challenged and stared down at me.

I smirked and drown another shot of tequila before calling for another round.

Before Steve made another lecture on my poor dating life, we were interrupted as another familiar face walked up to us. But rather than disdain, I was suddenly on full alert.

My body felt like it was drenched in cold water.

"Oh god, I think my boss is here and coming over in this direction." I hissed under my breath and nudged Steve on his arm. "Do I look drunk or not?"

He arched one eyebrow. "You wonderful, April."

"Are you sure? Or are you just saying that to stop me from hyperventilating?" I started internally panicking.

"Wait, who's your boss again?" He asked. His eyes wandering the venue.

"That man walking towards here. That's my boss."

He blinked in surprise. "Wait, do you work at Seymour & Lance law firm?"

"Yes," I said. "Where did you think I worked?"

"Well, not at Seymour & Lance." He scoffed and slowly walked up to the man himself with familiarity.

"Steve Crawford, the golden boy, himself. When Jensen said you took a job at his brother's office, I thought he was joking." Reed gave him a bear hug.

Steve reciprocated and laughed. "Well, when I saw an opportunity for a higher salary and fewer asshats in the workplace, I couldn't say no."

"Does that mean it's too late to persuade you to come work for me now?" Reed jested.

"Too late," he replied. "I didn't know you were back in the city. Didn't you get Senior Partner at your father's New York branch?"

"I am. But I'm back for a case." His eyes darted in my direction, taking notice of my presence with a flirty wink. "Now, mind introducing me to your fancy lady friend?"

I tried not to get offended that he doesn't recognize me at all. He'd only been at the office for two days since he came back this week. From the gossip of the single female secretary pool at the firm, Reed Seymour has a track record for dating around and unapologetically a flirt. Although I don't readily judge someone based on gossip, this wasn't helping him either.

Steve turned and briefly meet my gaze. "What? You don't know your own employee, Seymour."

"What do you mean?" Reed asked him but he was regarding me. "I'm sorry, miss. Do you work at my family's law firm?"

I stepped forward and held out my hand to him. "April Nolan, sir. I'm Mr. Coulson Hardy's secretary." My voice was level and clear, which hinted I wasn't completely intoxicated yet.

"You worked with Mr. Hardy?" His eyes widen hearing a familiar name. "How come I've just met you now? Did he recently hire a new secretary since I left?"

I briefly glanced at Steve, who was looking between Reed and me. "Yes, sir. I've been working with Mr. Hardy for a year."

"Oh, good. Because if I had met you, I would have remembered," he added lightly with a smile. "Well, it is a pleasure to meet you, Ms. Nolan."

"Likewise, sir." I forced out a smile to hide the anxiety building up in my stomach.

"How long did you want to talk to her? You usually need an intermediary. Is this why you had the guts to come and talk to us?" Steve interjected jokingly before giving me a knowing smile.

Reed turned to Steve. "I wasn't trying to..." He muttered under his breath and trailed off. "Okay, maybe I was waiting until someone who I knew talked to her. Jensen was busy with his wife and kids, and Grant is nowhere to be seen with his hot date."

"And you didn't bring a hot date yourself?" Steve inquired, arching one of his eyebrows.

"I didn't see you march in here with one either," he pointed out in retaliation.

They both took a step back from each other without breaking eye contact. As I was about to interrupt their brief squabble, Amy reappeared behind them out of thin air. Or I wasn't paying much attention to my surrounding to notice her approach.

Both men turned when Amy cleared her throat. "Gentlemen, excuse me. May I take my sister off your hands? I think she had enough for the evening and I'd like to escort her to her room."

I groaned. "Ams, I'm fine. Steve's looking out for me, as you've asked him. And I'm not yet a blithering idiot, okay?"

Amy reached out and took a firm grip on my arm. "I'm not taking chances and wait for you to do so. That's why I'm taking you back to your room now."

"Ams," I hissed under my breath. "You're embarrassing me here."

"With who? These two vultures?" She nearly spat the words, glancing between Steve and Reed icily.

"Ams, that one right there is my boss," I whispered close to her ear. "Now, would you stop?"

Amy gave Reed and quick once-over. "Kyla told me you're Reed Seymour."

Reed nodded. "You know Jensen's wife?"

"Yes. And since she told me to get my sister out of your sight means more words than she could manage. So, if you are her boss, I hope you won't discredit her actions tonight. This isn't a work environment anyway."

"Of course not, Ms. Nolan."

Amy nodded. "Good." And then turned back to me. Her eyes blazing with slight irritation. "April?"

I peered around her to Steve, who was staring at her with a smile. No one noticed it but me.

I straightened my posture and turned to Reed and Steve with my welcoming work smile. "It was nice catching up with you, Steve. And it was nice to meet you, Mr. Seymour. Have a lovely evening."

With that, I retreated away from the two men. Having Amy holding my arm gave me some confidence in my balance.

By the time we've reached the edge of the party towards the entrance of the hotel, she let go of her grip. It was then I realized the true extent of my intoxication.

Unceremoniously, I sat down on the grass lawn in my bride's maid gown, high heels, and messy curled hair.

Amy stood in front of me. Her hand on her waist as she stared down with contempt. Although she looked ready for a lecture, she kept quiet and allowed me to gather my wits.

When I was ready to get back up, she offered her right hand to me. I took it and allowed her to pull me back up. She kept her grip to steady me.

"What would you do without me?" She sighed.

"I'll be fine, sis. Don't worry about it."

"Are you sure? Because you don't look fine to me, April," she said and paused, studying my expression. "Maybe, I should stay with you in your room tonight. You truly need the company."

"And what? Take this fancy night from Dean and you." I snorted. "No, sister. I'll be fine. I just need to get out of this dress, have a glass of water, and then wake up tomorrow. After that, I'll take a shower, and then come down for breakfast all presentable."

Amy studied my face before turning away. She waved at someone, which got my attention. It was then Dean walked up to us from somewhere. I hadn't noticed he was anywhere near us.

"Do you need help?" He asked mostly to Amy but kept his worried gaze on me.

I held up my hand and smiled. "I'm perfectly fine, Dean."

"Really?" He looked incredulously at me.

"Yes, really," I affirmed and took two steps away from my sister before taking another fall on the grass.

"I don't think so," Dean stated with a chuckle.

With a disgruntled groan, Amy took my arm and placed it behind her shoulder, hoisting half of my body.

"Would you take the other side? I can't lift her myself," Amy said.

Dean hesitated and nodded. "Okay. Are you taking her up to her room or...?"

"Her room, Dean."

****

Halfway from being dragged inside the back entrance of the hotel, I lost most of my consciousness. When I regained them, we were in the elevator, just the three of us, descending up to our floor. And then, my eyes decided to close yet again, letting exhaustion takes its place.

Once Amy and Dean finally got me to my room, I wasn't surprised my sister got hold of my room key. They dragged me inside like a corpse. And then, Dean unceremoniously placed me on top of the bed closest to the door, since I got a deluxe room.

I faintly recognized Amy standing by my bed, studying my half-sleeping state.

"April, I'm taking your shoes and change you into something comfortable, okay?" she said, enunciating the word like I was a child.

Rather than feeling insulted, I nodded in reply.

I wasn't sure if Dean was still in the room with us. But Amy had done what she said. She placed a glass of water by my bedside table, instructing me to drink it if my throat got parched. She even kindly placed the bathroom trash bin beside the bed when I finally felt like hurling the contents of my stomach.

When she finally left me alone, contented I hadn't got alcohol poisoning or worst, I lay there and allowed oblivion to consume me.

Just as I thought my night was near its end, I then heard a knock on my door.

****

Merry Christmas everyone! Thank you so much for your love and support through this rough year. Stay safe and healthy. Be kind. Spread Love. Happy reading!

P.S. Updates for this will be every Saturday starting next week, Jan 2, 2021.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.6M 505K 68
"I'm the sexy guy in school, and all the ladies want me. So don't act like you don't. And try not to make it seem like a surprise Princess because yo...
5.8M 123K 46
***COMPLETE*** Book #1 in the Hookup series "You're incredibly sexy Emily" I feel sexy, especially when he's looking at me like that. I could melt in...
3.7M 70.4K 10
Highest rank #1 in humor [30 chapters] The hermit Ryder Quin never thought that one day, her crush of three years now, the very handsome Aiden Cale...
1.7M 102K 82
Nolan, an unapproachable guy who ignores the existence of all his schoolmates, sleeps in all of his classes. Normally, this wouldn't be Chelsea Arnol...