Part 42: The invitation

Start from the beginning

"Ellios," I handed the paper back to him. "Tell them that I accept. But first, give me a day to organise my departure." 

                                                                               ***

The Magic Tower reflected its name. 

Spanning so tall that it prodded through the clouds, you couldn't even see the tip of it. 

It was a tower, alright. 

I had to admit, I was excited to set foot in this building. 

 This place was likely the most mysterious and unknown property in this world, with not much known about it. 

It was so powerful and its organisation so big that it had its own system, and no noble and not even the royals could command them. 

But they as they steered clear of each other, who knew how powerful this tower was now. 

They even had their own law here, and nobody could interfere nor object them.

There are stories of trespassers disappearing around this area, never to be seen again. 

Naturally, these were just baseless rumours, but even if they were true, nobody could do a single thing. 

But anyways, even if they passed the first stage, which was the fence, they would never succeed in going through that door. 

This place was brimming with talented wizards, why would they not put spells to guard this place. 

I wouldn't be surprised if a normal human without magic tried to enter but got their arm blasted off in return. 

As I entered, my eyes gazed all around the tunnel-like entrance, embedded with all sort of runes that even I didn't understand. 

But before I could fill up my curiousity and try to memorise a few of them, I was hushered to the inside. 

                                                                      ***

The inside was not what I thought it was going to look like. 

Nevermind that, my imeragy of it didn't come up at all. 

It was like a spiral library, with a coiled staircase running through the middle. 

It stopped every so often to halt at a floor, each one having different means for the wizards to use. 

Shelves jammed with books could be sighted on every level, and I could also spot doors on the walls every once in a while. 

But there were so many tiers that as it kept on going higher and higher, the spiral started getting smaller as it went. 

'Well,' I thought. 'This was only the first floor. I wouldn't expect myself to see it all until the end from down here.'

                                                                                ***

I was led by some high ranking wizards (I could see that based on how new their cloaks look versus the shabby ones the other wizards wore) to another floor. 

Of course, they teleported me here, so I had no idea where I even was anymore. 

We entered a hallway, which was clearly cleaner and more organised than the rest of the floor I've seen so far. 

There was a big golden tableau pasted on the wall, having some sort of oath inscribed on it. 

We finally reached a normal looking door, and the magicians behind me opened knocked on it. 

The door, without anybody touching it, creaked open to reveal a standard looking office on the interior. 

I, who had expected something more magical and strange, was confused because of how mediocre it looked. 

Just then, I noticed someone was sitting at the wooden desk place in the middle of this room and hear the clang of the chair moving back. 

"Ah, I see that you have arrived, the Lady of House Villinie." 

A tall man who was covered from head to toe with a magician's cloak stood up. 

"I apologise for not being able to greet you myself. I was busy, you see."

He stood in front of me, and looked down at me. He had no smile nor twinkle in his eyes. 

The other magicians behind me bowed down, and that's exactly when I knew who he was. 

I dropped into a curtsy after remembering my manners. 

"Greetings to The Great Magician, the one and only head of the Magic Tower." 

This man wasn't mentioned much in the otome game, but everybody knew that he was a cold man, not scared of anything. 

Back in the days when the Magic Tower was still in its horrible state, he had killed others who were disrupting the peace. 

I suppose what he did molted the Tower into what is what today, but people were still afraid of him. 

Not to mention, he was also Ellios's father, and the reason of why Ellios was a weak and shy person.