Part 53: Wrong conclusion

Roselyn, you're too narrowminded. 

These words struck me hard, but then again, its not like I could have made a correct theory with the little information I had. 

"You certainly have the base of my goals. " 

"I really like how you're keen on this idea, but usually arrogance can direct you in the wrong path." 

"First of all, you're right on why I signed the contract with you. It does remove the 'limit' on me." 

He raised up 2 fingers. 

"But you haven't dived deeper on this 'limit', and why it exists, haven't you? You just assumed its there because my existence isn't part of this world." 

"Yes, you're right, but I don't see how that affects your goals!" 

"Did you think that while I was away, I just sat on a chair and looked at the world underneath me through a telescope? You're really keen on the idea that I'm not in this world but in a heaven-like place when not called out. But when I am, I can do whatever I want as long as the contract exists and the so-called 'limit' hasn't run out." 

 "B-but...what else could it be!?"

There was an obvious limit on how long he could stay in this world, and so that seemed like the obvious case. 

If my theory was wrong, then I didn't understand how his limit truly works. 

Elijah sighed, and frustration grew within me. 

If he was tired of how wrong I was and made that glass clear, then why doesn't he just tell me instead?!

"You know that book you got....no, took from the library?" 

"What does this book have to do with your motives?" 

My patience was running thin, just what did Elijah want me to know? 

'Stop speaking in a riddle-like form and just straight out tell me, Elijah! I really never know whats going on in that godly head of yours!'

"Would you kindly summarise it for me, Roselyn?" 

To my annoyance, I opened my mouth and started summarising. 

"Its about a soldier who served likely during the first war that founded this country." 

It was the diary of someone's, and was almost like a fiction novel. 

"Do you know what they were fighting against?" 

"Of course they were fighting.........." 

Wait. What exactly were they protecting the people from? What or who exactly slaughtered many of our men, and posed a threat to the foundation of this country? 

The man in the diary never mentioned anything in detail, and only referred to their enemy as 'they' or 'them'. 

So truthfully, I assumed it was another army from another country who wanted our resources and land or something of sort. 

Its not like the otome game's explanations went into depth with the history of this world, so I couldn't rely on that either. 

I sighed in defeat, and looked up to Elijah with wearied-out eyes. 

"Alright, and what are your points?" 

"You see, what they were fighting against weren't exactly human. Well, it would be logical to call them human, but they were rather....transformed. Possessed, basically."