Chapter 2

"Here you go!" A blonde waitress in an obscenely short skirt places Jay's Cordon Bleu in front of him, leaning over to show off her cleavage. Ew. He just smiles at her, but doesn't say a word.

"You should say thank you, you know" I say. He raises an eyebrow at me then shrugs and picks up his fork and digs in. Wow! He still has no regard for manners. What did you ever see in this guy?

"So, how have you been, El?"

Crap. I don't like talking about myself. "Fine, and you?"

This gets Jay talking. He loves talking about himself, remember? Thank goodness I did, because for the rest of the evening, he continues to entertain himself.

Miss boobs comes back and puts the tab on the table, and just as I'm about to take a look, Jay stops me. "I've got it."

"No, it's fine. We're not on a date, and I can pay for myself, thank you very much" I say, ignoring him.

"Don't you dare touch that tab!" he warns me sternly.

"Why not? You already bought me Starbucks. I want to pay for my dinner."

"Not a chance! Just do as I say and put your hand down."

Did he just growl at me? Wow. I've never seen him like this. What is his deal? I have to admit it's a little bit hot. I shake the thought out of my head and shudder slightly. I cannot think that way about this boy, he's dangerous.

Despite myself, I stop moving towards the tab and do as he says. "Good girl," he coos, sending a shiver running up my spine. A smirk creeps into his lips and I suddenly want to slap him in the face, but I could never do that, I'm way too pathetic. I'd do just about anything I'm told.

"Alright, as soon as we've paid, you'll let me tak you home. Won't you?" he says, sounding more like a demand than a question. All I can manage is a nod, and I start to feel more resentful as his smirk grows on his smug, rugged face. Jay pays, leaving a large tip, and drives me home. We ride in silence and don't even look at each other. I watch as the moon comes in and out of view behind the tall trees along the road. It's so beautiful, and to think that it is only a mere reflection of the light that comes from the sun.

Ah! I gasp as he puts a large hand on my knee.

"Wha - "

"Shh...I just wanted to get your attention" he explains.

"Well, you could have just said something."

"I did."

Oh. This happens a lot to me. I talk to myself and get so lost in my head that I lose all consciousness of my surroundings.

"I asked you if you found somebody new."

"Ha, you could compare my love life to Leonardo Dicaprio's cabinet of Oscar awards; no winners there!" I get a chuckle from Jay, which makes me smile. What happened to us?

"You're so quiet, El. You didn't used to be that way."

"Yes I did. It just showed more when - " I stop. I won't go there. Not right now.

He puts his hands on my nervously twiddling thumbs, and I turn my head to look into his eyes. Pity evident on my face, he smiles gently at me. I blush as my heart melts a little. Without thinking, I lean in to kiss him, but before anything happens, the car comes to a stop. We've arrived at my house.

Yes, I have a house - a townhouse - but it's still a house. My family has some money and never struggled in life. I wanted to earn it somehow, though, and my parents wouldn't let me buy it myself, so I worked to get the highest scholarship possible and was allowed to put the money we saved that way to the house. It's quaint, but cosy and perfect for someone like me.