AP Biology

Hi everyone! I hope you're all staying safe and everything's going well for you! I know it's been a while but today my AP Biology class and I did something over Zoom for our teacher that I really wanted to share!

It was Monday evening and we were all looking forward to break starting after school on Wednesday. My friend and I were FaceTiming and doing some last minute studying for our AP Biology test the next day.

He looked up from his drawing. "Do you want to do something for Doc (what we call our teacher) on Wednesday?"

I loved the idea of it, but our school was completely virtual and the only thing we could think of was making signs to hold up in front of our camera.

He sent off an email to the rest of the kids in our class. With only eleven of us total, we were sure we could do this before winter vacation started. Someone made a Snapchat group chat and my friend kept me up to date on the final plans (I don't have Snapchat), but it didn't matter very much because the only plans made on there were to join the meeting with our cameras off and what signal to wait for.

The reason we decided to do this for only our bio teacher was we had had him freshmen year as well and he was always our favorite teacher. We would constantly be stopping by his classroom after school to say hi and just chat, and he is just the best ever teacher!! We learned so well in his class and know we can always depend on him. His reputation makes him to be a terrifying teacher whose class is impossible to do well in. That's completely wrong. He's hilarious and you'll do well in his class as long as you try your best and truly understand the material.

Tuesday night we all made posters (after struggling to get in contact with the one kid in our class who doesn't have a phone).

Wednesday afternoon. I'm the first to log onto the meeting. My camera is off. The rest of the kids slowly trail in after me. All of our cameras are off. Our teacher asks us how we're doing, as usual, and there is no response. I feel a little bad here but a plan is a plan.

He is about to get started with class when my friend quickly interrupts with his camera still off. He gives a short speech and turns his camera on in the middle of it. We all follow his lead, tuning our cameras and holding up our signs.

Our teacher is smiling extremely widely, and so are all of us students. Overall, it was a great class!

Okay, I know...that was cheesy. But we did it and he really appreciated it and we all felt amazing. Talk about a great way to end school before break!

As always, let me know what you think and if you have any stories that you want to share!!

Stay safe!! ❤️