Chapter twelve

She does whatever he says and won't even read me bedtime stories anymore.

•TRIGGER WARNING•
Still Sophie's POV.
January 17, 1971
Tomorrow is my mommy and James' wedding so we are staying at a motel in Houston, Texas because that's the city that we're having the wedding.
They decided to have the wedding there since that's where James' family lives besides a few of his cousins that live in Nevada.
Since we've been here bad things have happened..
I heard a little girl screaming from her bedroom the first night we got her, then another girl the night after, the next night I didn't hear anything, but last night..last night it happened to me..
James and his cousin, Roy, have been hurting the other little girls that lived here for a while, the girls told me but there was nothing that I could do to stop it from happening to them or from happening to me since James and Toy were bigger than us.
It wasn't the first time that it has happen..it happened the first time that I had to stay here too..
I tried to tell my mommy but she wouldn't listen..
James threatened to hurt my mommy if I ever mentioned it again..so I didn't.

The Next Day.
January 18, 1971
Today is my mommy's wedding and I'm hoping that she'll choose not to marry him but I know that she won't.
She doesn't ever listen to me..she thinks that he's great..everyone does..
After the wedding I have to stay with James parents who are really strict towards me..I'm the only one who gets in trouble and I'm not even the really bad one when I'm at their house.
They aren't abusive like James but they know what he does to all of the girls that are around my age..they're just as bad because they let it happen.
I tried to get mommy to let me stay with my daddy but she insisted that he wouldn't want me to be there.
She says that I'd just be a distraction and a bother to him and Priscilla if I was there..she's probably right..
As mommy says, daddy probably doesn't want me around because I caused problems between my daddy and Joe Esposito since I hit his daughter, Debbie..
Mommy doesn't believe that Debbie started it and she thinks that I was just acting up even though I've tried to tell her what really happened that day.