Chapter 23: Reliving Memories

Must. Keep. Going.

Brittany's feet stung from running for so long but the tears on her face, the pain in her heart, and the words in her head kept her running.

Don't stop.

Brittany looked up at the sky. A giant white cloud spread across the light blue sky. But this didn't make her happy. This didn't make her smile or laugh. Instead this made Brittany mad. She always believed the sky meant something. Why is the sky so beautiful during a time that is so ugly. Life sucked. Life pulled her down. She just wanted to give up. She just wanted to cry. But she remembered the way Colten said she was strong. She remembered when she saw him after the storm and he showed no pity. And she didn't want to show pity either. this wasn't a pity party.

She collapsed. Her eyes took in the scene around her. Everything looked so familiar. The giant trees stretching their branches. The daises covering the ground. Then it clicked.

The dream.

She had a nightmare about this place catching on fire. But that wasn't the first time she had seen it. She had been there when she was really little, with someone she couldn't remember a few weeks ago but now it was clear. Her mom. Back when her mom wasn't a drug addict and actually cared. They had laughed and smiled and played around.

Brittany banged her fist against the ground and sobbed.

It's not fair!!!

Why does everything happen to me!!

Brittany pulled out the dove bracelet she always carried in her pocket. Colten gave it to her. She had pulled it out on her way to him. Back when he had been alive.

Brittany just wanted to forget everything. She wanted to forget the part of her that loves Colten. But she knew deep down inside that she could never forget him. Brittany screamed out of frustration and threw the dove bracelet on the ground.

She ran away.

She ran away from the charm.

She ran away from the daises.

She ran away from the giant trees.

And she ran away from the painful memories.