Chapter 8: Tornado

It had been a week after Brittany got a brace on her arm. Colten had insisted on doing everything for her. Brittany pretended to hate it but secretly she liked the attention Colten gave her. She knew it sounded pathetic to say that she liked to have a broken arm but Colten made her think crazy things. She felt so alive around him. She felt like she could just take off and fly. She didn't know if that was love or not. She just knew that she liked being around Colten.

She was outside laying in the gleaming green grass. The sky was a light blue color that reminded her off the soft, smooth blanket she used to carry around as a child.

She closed her eyes and listened to the birds chirp until she dozed off.

She woke up to a voice screaming "Brittany where are you".

Brittany's eyes shot open. The sky was a grayish white color and she saw a gray funnel in the distance.

It was a tornado.

Brittany sprung up from where she was laying in the backyard and ran into the house. Colten looked at her and sighed out of relief.

"Thank goodness" he said "where were you?"

Brittany answered "I was in the backyard, it was early in the morning and no one was up and the sun was rising. It was beautiful."

Colten raised an eyebrow at her as his eyes skirted to the clock.

It was 1:30.

"I fell asleep" Brittany explained.

Colten nodded and took her hand. He lead her down to the basement and they sat in a plain room with no windows. Colten's mom had a radio turned on and a voice spoke "tornado warning for the counties-"

The voice stopped and the sound static filled the radio. Colten's mom sighed and handed them each a water bottle.

Brittany was scared. She had never experienced a tornado before. Colten could tell she was frightened and put his arm around her. She rested her head on Colten's shoulder and fell asleep.