Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Holy freaking shit. This house is huge.

I was used to big homes because I lived in California. But this was ridiculous. My GPS must've been wrong.

Hesitantly, I drove up to the gate and opened my window. I clicked the button to call the house and Ryder answered.

"Hey," he said, tired.

"Hi," I answered, in that same tone.

Suddenly, the gates started to open and I said, "Thanks."

"No prob."

I kept driving up the front of the house, parking in front of the door. I quickly got out and locked my car, while knocking on the door.

Ryder opened it in a second, relief on his face.

"Hi," I said shyly, trying to look at anywhere but him.

"Hey, come on in," he said, moving to the side so I could pass.

"Thanks," I said, taking that last step into the mansion. He started to head off towards the stairs, leading me to the second floor. I could hear the crying as soon as we reached the second floor. "Where is she?"

He nodded to the end of the hall, leading the way there. Ryder led us to the last door of the hallway and I stepped into a master bedroom like no other. It was huge and had a matching king sized bed smack in the middle against the wall, a window on either side. It had a very earthy color scheme and I had the idea that Ryder definitely did not decorate this room. I could tell it was his because medals and trophies colored the stands that surrounded the walls of the room.

Ryder kept walking towards another door, which happened to be connecting his room to Ella's.

This room was pink and about half the size of the master. It had a crib, a tiny bed, a changing station, and an armoire that I suspected was armed with diapers, wipes, and anything else he would need.

Ella was sitting down in her crib, gripping the hell out of a stuffed animal while sobbing her little heart out.

She heard the door open and the second her eyes met mine, any worry I had disappeared.

"Mommy!" she screamed, jumping up and reaching out for me in a flash. Her face was desperate and I basically ran to her.

Immediately, I scooped her up into my arms and hugged her tight to me.

"It's okay, Ella," I cooed, rubbing her back as she slowly stopped crying.

"Why you leave Momma?" she asked, sniffling against my neck, her voice hoarse.

I sighed deeply and sat down on the bed that stood against the other wall. Ryder sat down next to me, shrugging.

"I had to go for a little while, baby girl, but I'm back now," I said.

She shuffled her arms out and hugged me as tight as she could. I rocked us back and forth for a while.

Eventually, she went limp and sighed deeply. I lay down on the bed, still holding her. Ryder had left a little while before. I grabbed the Dora blanket at the foot of the bed and covered us both, laying our heads on the pillow and cuddling Ella closer. I had to scrunch my body up, the bed was meant for infants, but I was okay for now.

I was out like a light within two minutes.

"Josie," I heard. My eyes slowly started to open. "Josie, wake up."

I blinked and realized where I was. And I realized that something was missing.

I sat up in a second and asked, "Where's Ella?"