Chapter Twenty-Six [Eli]

Start from the beginning

So I drag myself to the bathroom and brush my teeth, wash my face and do everything I need to do. Even though all I want is to go back to bed.

I think I stare into the mirror for a few minutes and get lost there for a while. But eventually I go back to get dressed. Then I sit in my bed for a moment more before finally leaving the house.

The walk is long, cold and familiar. I don't have to think at all.

I slug my way into The Lodge and I think I hear someone say hello to me, but it registers too late in my mind and I don't reply.

I'm late, but Elliott doesn't say anything about it. Even though it's spring break and the place is packed.

That's a good thing, though. A busy shift means Hannah doesn't have time to chat.

The work is mechanical enough that I don't have to be too focused on what I'm doing. I do mess up a couple of orders, though. Just a few drinks to the wrong table, or an extra burger the guests didn't ask for. Luckily, no one is too pressed about it.

It takes me a second look at table eight to note who has just sat there.

Warren Astor, owner of the Astor Ski Resort and Liam's dad, is sitting in his flawlessly tailored suit, with two gentlemen by his side. Weirdly enough, it's the dark-haired one I recognize first. Jeff Pruitt, a real estate giant and MacKenzie Pruitt's father. A ginger-haired man sits with them, but it's not until he laughs that I put a name to the face. Theodore Sullyvan, businessman married to the Mayor of Lake City and Natalie Sullivan's father.

I had dinner at the man's house once, long ago, while I was still dating his daughter. A former Brunson Grizzly Bear himself, he was warm and enthusiastic, asking me tons of questions about the hockey team.

I do a quick take of the room, trying to spot Hannah to see if she can take this table from me. She's nowhere in sight, and it's too late now because they've seen me. And Warren Astor is smiling at me.

I put an empty smile on my face.

"Good afternoon, gentlemen. My name is Elijah and I'll be your server today. How may I help you?"

That's something I've repeated enough times that it's become automatic, disengaged, non-committal.

"Hello, Elijah," Mr Astor greets kindly. "I believe we met before?"

"I believe so, sir."

"Steadier hands today?" He jokes.

My stomach sinks and folds in on itself. I force my smile to widen. "Hopefully."

"We've met too, haven't we?" Mr Sullyvan says. "How've you been, son?"

"Good. Thank you, sir."

"I did hear from Natalie about what happened, but I don't think I had the chance to give you my condolences yet," Mr Sullyvan says evenly. "I met your father once or twice, while he was doing some jobs here at the resort. He was a nice man. They were taken too soon."

I want to go back to bed.

"Thank you, sir. I appreciate that."

Mr Astor offers me a compassionate smile. "Could you bring us a bottle of whatever wine Chef Armell recommends, please?"

"Yes, sir. Right away." Happy to take the chance to get away from them for a while.

"Thank you," Mr Astor says as I start walking away.

Chef Armell fusses over the wine choices when I convey Mr Astor's request to him, but eventually settles on one. I take it to the table, along with three glasses and a menu, which I should probably have already provided.

"Will you be needing anything else, or shall I leave you to choose?"

I expect them to tell me I can go.

"Theodore here tells me you're quite the hockey star," Mr Pruitt comments instead.

Mr Sullyvam throws a wink my way, with a broad grin on his face.

"I heard the team did quite well this year too," Mr Astor adds. "You boys should be proud of your performance."

"We are, sir."

"How old are you, Elijah?" Mr Pruitt asks.

"Eighteen."

"Are you thinking about going into college, or do you want to go pro?" He asks me.

"The plan is to go pro, sir."

Mr Pruitt nods. "You know, my wife has some connections with the NHL. We're always happy to put in a word for local talent."

"Elijah doesn't need that kind of help," Mr Sullyvan immediately puts in. "You should see him play, then you'd know." He looks at me. "You and that Miller kid are quite the duo."

"Thank you, sir."

Mr Astor chuckles, leaning forward over the table. "I'm sure Elijah appreciates your praise, Theodore, but a little bump to the top never hurt anyone."

"Exactly," Mr Pruitt agrees.

I force a smile that hurts more than that final extra push-up after you're sure you're gonna pass out if you keep going.

I can't help wonder if either of these men would be this nice if they just knew.

Would Mr Pruitt have offered to help me, if he knew who I really am?

Would Mr Sullyvan have praised me so, if he knew how I basically lied to his daughter's face the whole year we were together?

Would Mr Astor even be able to look me in the eye, if he knew what I let his son do to me on his property?

***

Short and not-so-sweet, but I promise the next and final five will bring you some of the things you've been waiting for.

How do you feel about where Eli's heading so far? For me, it was really hard to write this one. I basically hit a wall here. I rewrote it many times and ended up going for simplicity over a ton of stuff I tried that didn't really work. It's not supposed to be filler, but I'm not completely sure it doesn't feel like that a bit.

If you enjoyed it, please consider leaving a vote or a comment. Honest opinions are welcome, especially in these chapters I'm not so sure about.

As always, thank you for reading! :)