2. Not Alone

There's so many thoughts in my head. I wish I could get them out easier. Communicating is hard before you meet your soulmate.

It's not like I can't communicate though. Sign language is a skill most learn at the age of three and practice their whole lives.

Most people are really nice and treat people who haven't met their soulmates the same as everyone else. But of course there are some jackasses in this world who treat these people like they're lower than everyone else.

Unfortunately, I've met some of these jackasses. And unfortunately I've gone to the same school as them since kindergarten. I never bothered to learn their names. I just call them jackasses 1, 2, and 3.

They've never physically hurt me. Mainly because I'm rarely in areas that aren't populated. I'm sure they would if they could. I'm scared of being alone. I can't call out for help. I can't say anything back to them when they insult me. But if they attack, I will fight back.

I look up, Karasuno High School. I was so deep in thought that I didn't even realize I was already here. I could've walked to my old middle school and not even realized it.

I walk to the gym, where I assume the volleyball club practices. I peak in through the door. There are two other boys turning in sign up sheets to who seems like a teacher.

I thought I was early. I walk into the gym.

"Hello, are you here to sign up for volleyball?" The teacher asks.

I nod.

"I'm Takeda-Sensei nice to meet you." He says with a smile.

He seems friendly. I smile and wave.

"Do you have your sign up sheet?" Takeda-Sensei asks and holds out a hand.

I nod and hand it to him.

"Sugawara.. never heard that name."

"You'll hear it a lot. I have a lot of younger siblings." I sign and smile.

He seems surprised, but keeps smiling. "First born, huh?"

I nod.

Everyone has that reaction when someone uses sign language in high school. The best way to react is to not mention it. Takeda-Sensei reacted perfectly.

"Well so far.. three first years have signed up.. do you three have any experience?" Takeda-Sensei looks at the three of us.

I played in middle school, so I nod.

The boys next to me nod. Pretty silent group. Maybe I'm not the only one.

"Wow ok." Takeda-Sensei starts, "You three get to know each other, I've got to take care of some things." He says as he leaves the gym.

These two are the ones I'll be playing volleyball with for the next three years. It might be a good idea to befriend them.

I wave at the two of them. They wave back.

Well this is awkward. "What are your names?" I sign.

One of them signs, "Sawamura Daichi." The other signs, "Azumane Asahi."

So they haven't met their soulmates either. I'm glad I'm not alone. "Sugawara Koushi." I sign.