06. Perhaps

SIX PERHAPS

SIX PERHAPS

     At precisely an hour before their curfew, Victor found himself beside Maeve as the two of them sat in the library awaiting the two people they were supposed to be meeting. Maeve's feet were kicked up on the table while Victor's pale fingertips drummed anxiously against the dark wood. His eyes flickered from the room around them to the face of the girl next to him, but no words were spared between the two of them.

After a moment, Maeve threw her head back with a groan, "You would think Remus of all people would have any respect for punctuality."

"Charming as ever, darling," Sirius's voice came out of the woodwork as he appeared in front of them with Remus by his side. He gracefully plopped into the chair beside Maeve, pressing a kiss to her cheek as a greeting to which the girl just smiled and ruffled his hair. The way they acted with each other was so natural and fitting, Victor hated himself for wishing the same act upon himself. Victor tore his eyes away from the two of them, hearing Sirius say, "Moony, you have the floor."

Remus sat down in the chair, twiddling his thumbs as he began to explain his idea, "So, I was thinking we start small, you know, get him back with a small prank and leave just enough gap that we let him think that's the end of it and then we really get him back. I don't have an idea for the big one, but I know a simple hex that'll make his life hell for a bit."

"Which is?' Victor asked, leaning forward in his seat as he made a careful note to not look over at Sirius who had his arm wrapped around Maeve and the girl with her head resting on his shoulder. It pained him more than he would ever admit, that much he knew. The more he fought to look over at them, the harder it got. So, he focused all of his attention on Remus.

"Easy, he got you soaked, we get him soaked. I know a hex that'll get a little rain cloud to follow him all day. It'll soak him to the bone but won't bother anyone else. Even the water that drips will stay within James's parameters. It's easy, I can teach it to you this week," Remus explained with a simple tone as if this was the most casual thing in the world. He shrugged, leaning back in his chair and crossing his arms as his eyes met Victor's with raised eyebrows, "What do you think?"

"Brilliant as always, Moony," Sirius jeered from beside Maeve, a smile on his face that could kill Victor if he looked at it for too long. The raven-haired boy turned to Victor, saying, "So?"

"I like it," he nodded, "It'll pass the time until we can think of something bigger, lure him into a false sense of security and all that. When will you have time to teach it to me? I wanna get this down as quickly as possible."

Remus shrugged, "Probably after classes tomorrow we can start if that works for you?"

He nodded, "Perfect. Thank you, Remus."