07. How Did You Know?

SEVEN HOW DID YOU KNOW?

"Okay, so all you've gotta do really is aim and fire with this one, I told you it was simple. All you do to reverse it is use the same spell," Remus taught as they stood in an empty classroom after classes. Victor was determined to learn this charm and hopefully it wouldn't be that hard considering he was usually pretty all right with charms, but he had been off his game when it came to spells lately. Remus pulled out his wand and pointed it at the coathanger they were using as a person. "Okay, ready? Tempestas!"

There was a light crack of thunder that probably wouldn't even be heard outside the room and a small cloud began to form above the coathanger. The rain seemed to fall in a perfect circle, soaking the floor. Remus walked over to the object, grabbing it and moving it to the side. In the spot where the coathanger just was, the ground was dry.

"That's brilliant!" Victor exclaimed from the desk he was sitting on with his legs crossed, anxious to get started. "How'd you come up with that?"

"You think that's cool? Watch this," Remus smiled, letting go of the coathanger. As his arm left the circle, he watched the sleeve of his sweater dry with the movement. At seeing the other's gaping expression, the boy laughed like a maniac, "Mental right? Came up with it second year when I wanted to get back at Sirius for something, but never ended up using it."

Victor shook his head in awe, hopping off the desk and pulling out his wand as Remus undid the charm. He watched as the rain instantly cleared up and the cloud was sucked into thin air, no trace left behind. "It's amazing to me that you can just come up with spells. Insane."

Unsurprisingly, the boy just shrugged. "I don't know, I just would get an idea, search for a spell for it, not find one, and then make one myself. It's come in handy quite a lot if I'm being honest. Plus, we really only make spells so that way we can mess with each other without anyone else bailing us out. For example, the only person that'll know how to reverse this spell will be me and you. Try it."

He nodded, stepping up to face the coathanger, holding out his wand in just the way Remus had. "Tempestas!"

Another small crack of thunder sounded and the cloud formed, causing a smile to form on Victor's face as the rain began to fall. He turned to Remus, beaming, "I did it! I did it!"

"See? Told you it was easy," Remus chuckled, "Now undo it."

He undid the charm and sure enough, the rain ceased and the cloud dissipated. "Is it bad if I say I honestly didn't expect to get it first try?"

"All that says is that you don't have enough faith in yourself. Wanna try again or no? " Remus offered, crossing his arms as he leaned against one of the desks. It was strange how quickly he had begun to get along with Remus, but then again, when he's the only person who knows the secret that has been plaguing Victor for a year, he suspected he may want to keep him close. It's more than that, though. He thinks they might even be friends.

Victor shook his head, "Nah, I think I'll just hope for the best. Worst comes to worst, you'll do it, right?"

"Yeah, sure, but if James will kill me if he finds out we've helped you so we'll have to be careful," the boy shrugged, running a hand through his hair. "Hey, can I ask you something?"

This caught Victor by surprise, but as he leaned against the desk facing Remus, he nodded. "Yeah, what's up?"

"How... have you ever had feelings for anyone?" Remus asked, his voice careful in his words as if he wasn't sure that was the question he wanted to ask. The boy waited for him to say more, but that seemed to be the end of it for now.

"I have," he nodded, his voice slow as not to possibly reveal the fact that the person he has feelings for is one of Remus's best friends. He can handle Remus knowing he's gay, but knowing it's Sirius is knowledge he will take to the grave. "Why?"

Remus kept his eyes trained on the ground as he spoke next, "How did you know?"

"Is this about William?" Victor asked, trying to fight the smile beginning to form on his face. The idea of Remus coming to him for romantic advice is hilarious considering he is stuck in a pining purgatory, but he understands it's a consequence of their respective situations.

"Maybe?" the boy said with a small nervous chuckle as he looked up at Victor, "No one ever talks about how hard it is to tell."

Victor shrugged, "I think that sometimes you just know. It sounds lame, but I think it's true. At least, that's how it went for me, I guess. I just looked at him one day, he was laughing, throwing his head back and everything, and I felt all warm and I just knew."

"Have you told him?"

"Fuck no," Victor exclaimed with a laugh. He almost doubled over from laughing so hard and soon enough, Remus was laughing along with him. Perhaps it was nice, to laugh in the face of utter hopelessness. It was comforting to not be laughing alone. "And I never will."

Once they cooled down, Remus asked, "Why not?"

"Are you gonna tell William?" was Victor's counter, a know-it-all look on his face because he already knew that the answer was going to be.

Instantly, Remus went quiet, only proving Victor's intuition correct. "Probably not. You ever gonna tell your guy?"

Right away, Victor thought of how happy Maeve looks every time she's leaning on Sirius's shoulder, laughing at his jokes, blushing every time he presses a kiss to her forehead. He knows he can't ruin that no matter how selfish he is. He shook his head, a solemn look on his face as his smile faded.

"No, no, I'm never gonna tell him."