01. Harmless Fun

ONE HARMLESS FUN

ONE HARMLESS FUN

     Victor Glass was never one for attention. He typically reserved the spotlight for his best friend Maeve Bloodwood and that was absolutely fine with him. He preferred to succeed quietly. Yes, his marks in school competed with that of the top students, but he only told people if they asked and it was rare they asked. He coasted quietly through his time at Hogwarts, although he was a bit sad there were less than three years left of his time as a student. Still, he was hoping to get out of Hogwarts relatively unnoticed. He didn't need his names on trophies or anything like that, he just wanted to be remembered by the people who loved him.

What he did not want to be remembered for was falling accidental victim to James Potter and his friend's escapades. However, as a handful of younger students watched the boy drag himself out of the lake while being very nearly chased by the giant squid, he had a feeling word was going to travel fast.

"I am going to kill you, James!" Victor exclaimed angrily as he shivered down to his core. It was fucking November and he had just been forced to take a dip in the lake.

"Oi! I thought you were Snivellus, sorry mate!" James Potter laughed cheerily, raising his wand and casting a drying spell on him. "See! All right again! Not my fault you 'aven't cut your hair! Reckon you look just like him from the back!"

"His hair is like three shades darker than mine!" Victor argued as he wanted to think of something quick to get James back, but he couldn't think of a single thing. "And I don't like Snape either but you ought to not be throwing anyone in that lake, it's bloody freezing!"

A new voice joined them, James Potter's long-time unattainable crush, Lily Evans, came marching over, her silver prefect badge shining in the Autumn sun, "Don't think I didn't see that, Potter. Vic, say the word and I'll assign as many detentions as ya need."

Victor had always been a friend of Lily's, after all, she and Maeve ended up being dormmates their first year and they had been thick as thieves ever since. He had some qualms about her other choice of friends (Re: Severus "Snivellus" Snape) but he didn't mind her when she was on his own. She walked over to Victor and slung her arm around his shoulders which was a little hard considering he had about three inches on her.

"Oh please not detention, I already have 'em 'till the holidays!" James whined while his friends teased him. Of course, Sirius Black couldn't laugh considering the two worked as a team most of the time and Black probably had the same amount of detentions facing him.

"Don't bother with it, Evans," the boy sighed, nodding to Sirius, "Oi, you seen Maeve?"

"Library, she's already behind on Charms," Sirius told him. That was pretty much the extent of his and Sirius's conversations. It was always about Maeve because they really had nothing else to talk about. It wasn't that Victor didn't like James and his little crew, he just never found them particularly entertaining. He did like Remus, he supposed. He was always kind to him and helped him with certain things in classes when he needed it. What they had was more of a mutual understanding of each other more than friendship.