1.1 ꜱᴛᴀʀꜱ ᴀʀᴇ ʙʀɪɢʜᴛʟʏ ꜱʜɪɴɪɴɢ

-Hark, how the bells,

Sweet silver bells,

All seem to say, ''throw cares away'',

Christmas is here...

For once, I thought Dad would successfully make Christmas dinner, apparently not. Startled by yelling and the sound of a fire extinguisher, I gather what happened. Sliding from underneath my bed covers, I could have sworn I heard a jingle of bells coming from my room. Shaking it off I exit my room, my feet patter down the stairs, towards the commotion.

''Dad set the turkey on fire.'' Charlie broadcasted in a sulk, hand beneath his chin with a sour look on his face. I almost laugh at our misfortune and shoot a smile towards my younger sibling.

''Y/n, Charlie, get your coats on and put some shoes on.'' I internally groan, finding a food place open on Christmas Eve is going to be a major ball-ache.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The silence is murderous, you could almost hear the organs working in your body before Dad spoke, ''You like osso buco, Charlie?'' as we neared the Milanese place, I laughed, many nights Dad and I would give up on cooking and end up here. His hopes are shot down as he looks at the opening times, ''They're closed.'' He sighs, stepping on the gas.

''You know, Neal's a real good cook.'' He brags, how much I would give to see Neal as the state of our turkey, currently lying in the bin, burnt to a crisp. 

''Yeah, and you should see him walk on water.'' I snicker at the phrase, rolling down my window to watch the snow more clearly. 

Dad and Charlie continue to talk, more like bicker, as we hopelessly drive. No matter how much went wrong tonight, I won't let anything get me down, Christmas is the best time of the year and nothing can change that. 

''I learn a lot from him, he listens to me-'' I zone into the conversation and can't help but chime in.

''Yeah, and then he charges you for it.'' As I'm sat in the front, Dad high fives me, before returning his hand to the wheel.

''Nice one, kiddo.'' I smile and nod, satisfied with my comment. 

We pull up to the only place seemingly open, ''All right, Denny's. It's always open.'' Dad announces.

''I don't wanna eat here.'' Charlie frowns, I unbuckle my seatbelt, patting his head before clutching the car door handle, pushing it open.

''What are ya' talking about? Everybody likes Denny's.'' I hear from inside the car, to be frank, I couldn't care less. It's Christmas Eve, I'm happy.

''It's an American institution.'' I roll my eyes with a smile. Once everyone is out the car, we head towards the front of the restaurant. 

''I'll be surprised if they have any stock left.'' I ponder to myself, my Dad hums in uncertainty, it's not like we could go anywhere else anyway. 

Before we reach the door, I swear I heard the jingle again, whipping my head towards the back of me, in search of the noise. ''Did you hear that?'' I ask, confused.

''Hear what?'' I let it go, shaking my head, pushing open Denny's front entrance. 

''Are you with Hatsutashi?'' An exasperated waitress questions, hand rested on her hips, I smile in pity at her. She half-smiles back.

''No-' My dad gets interrupted by Charlie.

''Dad burnt the turkey.'' I smile and ruffle his hair, I love my brother so much.