Prologue

The fact is, when parents split, it goes one of two ways. Either both parties commence their greetings in a civilised manner or you're one of the Calvin's. Charlie had resided predominantly on Laura's side, Y/n however could choose for herself, siding with her dad Scott.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Muffled arguing overlapped the classic holiday music emitting from my radio, could they just get along for five minutes? I turned down the volume on my stereo, pressing my obnoxious Christmas socks onto the polished hardwood floor, pacing down the stairs to my problematic parents. I had entered the hall just as my dad spoke, ''The trouble is, Neal and you're mom, they don't believe in Santa cos' they were real naughty.'' He carries on, ''Which is why they'll probably get lumps of coal in their stockings.'' Dad makes a face and I stifle a laugh, making myself known to the precarious bunch. 

''Y/n!'' My mom hugs me in haste, cutting off my circulation. 

''I think that's enough, mom.'' I wipe the hair out of my face as she detaches her grip. 

Charlie runs over to me and I swipe him into my arms, holding him against my waist. ''I don't know. It seems kind of babyish to believe in that stuff.'' He spoke, I widen my eyes discreetly, who told Charlie that there's no Santa? 

My dad speaks up ''What are you talking about? I believe in Santa Claus, I'm not a baby.'' he attempts to banter with Charlie, unsuccessfully. I try to intervene before things escalate, ''Well-'' But get untimely interrupted. 

''Maybe it's time you left, we don't want to keep Dr Pinhead waiting.'' I roll my eyes and smile at my Dad's childishness. 

Mom ushers Charlie for an embrace, ''Come here.''. I set him down onto the floor.

''Do I gotta stay?'' He expresses, although this was a remark toward my dad, I couldn't help but feel hurt. Dad's face reflects it also, you could see the pain in his eyes.

''Listen, you, your daddy and your sister are gonna have a great Christmas, okay?'' Charlie grins over at me, before nodding in reluctant agreement to mom. He takes this further, though.

''Will you pick me up tomorrow?'' He questions. Mom endorses this. ''Early?'' This sent a stabbing pain through my chest, although he didn't mean it against me, it still stung. I scurry to the dining room for them to finish their goodbyes, grabbing a pear from the fruit bowl, nursing it in boredom. 

I hear the door shut and moments later and exclamation from my dad, ''Four hours?'' I could feel his exasperation from the dining room. Dad moves to the kitchen to make a start on dinner and I move to converse with Charlie.

''So, Charlie,'' I start, he loos up at me as I sit myself next to him on the couch. ''Who told you there's no Santa?'' I look at him with heartache in my eyes.

''Just this kid at school, Devin, he's in my class.'' He describes him as a kid which disheartens me as Charlie is still a kid himself.

''Charlie, I wish you hadn't grown up so fast, Neal has no right trying to raise you like that. You need time to enjoy being a kid before it all goes away. All the magic and excitement.'' I hug him tight, his small arms wrap around my neck. 

''I love you sissy, but there's no such thing as magic.'' I sigh as he goes back to watching Tom & Jerry. I paint a crooked half-smile onto my face, poor kid. I shake off my anguish and return to my room, turning up the volume as Carol of the Bells transpires from the radio's speakers. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Y/n Calvin's whole life was about to change.